Corporate - Slick business raiders and multi-millionaires

Fixer - Deal makers, smugglers, organizers and information brokers

Media - Newsmen and reporters who go to the wall for the truth

Netrunner - Cybernetic computer hackers

Nomad - Road warriors and Gypsies who roam the highways

Rockerboy - Rebel rockers who use music and revolt to fight authority

Solo - Hired assassins, bodyguards, killers, soldiers

Techie - Renegade mechanics and doctors

These are all expanded upon in further additions/revisions etc but seeing as these are the base roles of the Cyberpunk world I
assume most of them will be included in 2077, with the possibility of maybe combining a few to shorten the list a little (but let's hope that is a worst case scenario)

Which roles would you mind seeing go? Which would you want to remove/replace with another role not listed in the standard 9? If there's going to be more than 9, which role would you like to see round out the list to maybe a solid 10 choices? I feel like the number of choices is paramount, it will allow the furthest customization and even re-playability assuming the story is non-linear and branching (which is more or less a confirmed feature of the game) but you also have to take into consideration that each role needs to feel like it's own, they need to be unique.

And finally, what role do YOU want to play in 2077?

As to answer the question to the thread, I really would love to play a kind of Spider Jerusalem character and become the embodiment of the 'Media' role. I think that would be really neat, and offer a really unique play style.

I like this topic :)

OK, so I have one more question to you all guys - regarding this topic.

How - the gameplay of each role - should look like in a rpg video game? ( I'm not saying we will have those roles in the game of course ;) ) We wish to know your opinion about it.

It's not so simple question as it can look like at the beggining. Think about different areas of the game like combat, exploration, stealth, dialogs, etc. In a singleplayer videogame each of those roles should be strong enough in every of those areas i mentioned.

ha, i like your style; spider jerusalem is a prophet ! ^^

I think it's obvious that everyone will sooner or later go for the netrunner. But i really want to try first between the following three: Corporate, Solo and Techie ( so many options to those ^^).

@tnz ...it would be nice to find a little specific background to the character at some point in the game...

The 9 standard Cyberpunk 2020 roles are:

Cop

Corporate

Fixer

Media

Netrunner

Nomad

Rockerboy

Solo

Techie

These are all expanded upon in further additions/revisions etc but seeing as these are the base roles of the Cyberpunk world I
assume most of them will be included in 2077, with the possibility of maybe combining a few to shorten the list a little (but let's hope that is a worst case scenario)

Which roles would you mind seeing go? Which would you want to remove/replace with another role not listed in the standard 9? If there's going to be more than 9, which role would you like to see round out the list to maybe a solid 10 choices? I feel like the number of choices is paramount, it will allow the furthest customization and even re-playability assuming the story is non-linear and branching (which is more or less a confirmed feature of the game) but you also have to take into consideration that each role needs to feel like it's own, they need to be unique.

And finally, what role do YOU want to play in 2077?

I would very much prefer if they handle and use the Roles as presented in Interlock Unlimited... where a character can take as many roles as they can earn points to, with little restriction. Also, Roles biggest problem, was that with the exception of Solo, the special abilities they provided were really just given abstract ideas that no one could ever quite agree on. Even worse, some Roles, like Cop, required you to be employed, or their special ability would b rendered useless. IU fixes all that as well, with each role now acting like combat sense, and giving a bonus to 2 or 3 relevant skills. The Number of roles is greatly expanded, but covers pretty much everything without getting too redundant.

I talk about IU a lot, forgive me, I am a bit biased as the writer :)

However if they do plan on implementing the classic roles, some will be much harder to implement than others... Solo's, Netrunners, Nomads, would be the easiest to implement in a standard game. Techs, Medtechs, and especially fixers would actually e kind of difficult, unless they take a route similar to Fallout (which would be more than alright by me). The problem with Cops and Corporates is that their role kind of requires them to be employed... still the fallout type set-up would make this possible. Of all the classes, Rockers and Medias are the easiest to do away with, and would be the hardest to implement. However they could accomplish it by letting rockers get followers, or persuade crowds... would seem kinda cheesy but hey... and Media's could use credentials and reputation to get info, get into clubs, etc...

For how I would really like to see roles handled... my post from the Dream Game thread:
2c) In addition to character appearance, it would be necessary to give us options that reflect the Roles. Solo's, Nomads, Medtechs, Fixers, etc... Roles should merely provide bonuses to certain skills. Players should be able to choose a Primary Role, but should be able to assign points to all the others as they see fit, as well as to skills. In addition, the Primary Role chosen should have an effect on how the story unfolds. The missions of the game remain the same, only for people with different roles, the order in which they come, and the objectives of the mission itself changes. For instance, if you are playing a Netrunner, one mission might have you trying to infiltrate a drug deal, using your hacking skills to record the entire thing for black mail. But if you are playing a Cop, your objective is to arrest the main dealer. Or if you are playing a Solo, your job is to protect the dealer from the cops who bust in. Or if you are playing a Nomad, you are the getaway driver for the dealer. The missions are all the same, but why you are there and what you are doing would change depending on your role and choices within the game. That way, even though the missions are exactly the same in subsequent play-thrus, it will always feel unique. Imagine how interesting this could get in a co-op style game?

2d) I also kind of like the idea that the Primary Role you choose might determine where you start the game... say if you are a Solo, you first appear at the airport, coming back from a job. If you are a Cop, you appear at the precinct. If you are a Nomad, you first appear outside the city and have to drive in...

And any fan of Transmet is a friend of mine...

(...)@tnz ...it would be nice to find a little specific background to the character at some point in the game...

Yes, of course. But background is the story. I'm asking more about gameplay. Playing as a Fixer - how you imagine combat of the Fixer in the game? How you imagine combat of the Netrunner in the game ( in a real world, not cyberspace of course )? And so on. Think about different scenarios, be openminded.
Maybe you'll generate some inspirations for us.

Yes, of course. But background is the story. I'm asking more about gameplay. Playing as a Fixer - how you imagine combat of the Fixer in the game? How you imagine combat of the Netrunner in the game ( in a real world, not cyberspace of course )? And so on. Think about different scenarios, be openminded.

Look at my post just above yours... I edited it to reflect the question you ask....

Different roles in a gameplay...

It all depends on how various aspects of the game are implemented. If social interaction is done by choosing from lines spoken, maybe the list should reflect the role. Solo's lines are blunt, Cop's are intimidating and Fixer's are like honey.

In combat Solos go to crouch making them smaller targets while Techies go around normally. This is one aspect that is very much affected on how it works. Is combat turn based like in X-COM, isometric like in Gears of War or FPS. I believe that FPS offers the least amount of role based options and is more about player skill than character skill.

from what I've read of PNP Netrunning are summoner wizards who can change their appearance

I was thinking we'd go to the character creator a second time and we could create our ICON in cyberspace as something completely different. NPC's would be hot chicks like the pic above but in the real world they'd be fat neckbeards.

It should definitely feel like those hacking stuff in films with the same tension. Hackers always seem like they're in seek and destroy mode whenenever they're doing their thing like.Here's a clump of data summon a dog to fetch it.Our connection is being discovered summon a wall to block whatever it is.

Seems like that to me.

sorry didn't read the "not cyberspace" comment

I guess a Netrunner would first gather information to perhaps infiltrate the system of a corporation. They'd hack personal computers (or their BrainDancePlayer) of employees from that corporation to find out how to get in the building without doing fancy gymnastics or getting into gun fights. I find that the class would be a lot more interesting if they couldn't fight in the real world.Lack of choice would set it apart from the other classes,kinda like how horror games are scary because the controls are clunky. Netrunners have to hide(not as effectively as Solos) and they can't kill people in a fair fight.

A Netrunner would probably only be a badass in the real world if he was well prepared and he controls all of the systems in the vicinity beforehand., something like the Laughing Man in Ghost in the Shell casually walking next to his enemies who can't see him because he hacked their cybernetic eyes. The Netrunner should work really really hard for this kind of power though.

Obviously each role should be more/less suited for combat depending on which role that they are, for example

Cop is probably well equipped and trained, but maybe shouldn't be so reckless in fights because after all they are lawmen, where as the 'Solo' role sounds much more like your typical soldier/assassin role where they are very combat orientated role and they take down their target by any means nessecary

I could see as a Solo you would be very straight forward, and focus on your target. Whereas a Netrunner wouldn't want to fight at all if they don't have to, but if they do engage in combat it would be sparingly and only to create distance in order to get away. I think successfully getting out of a tough combat situation as a character like that should be rewarded, as it is their style

Maybe a Netrunner could have minor combat ability, by this I mean maybe carry a pistol or other small arms as a backup, as like a safety line or a last resort. If you have to fight, fight, but know you are not as strong as a Solo or someone more well equipped or trained. Maybe over time you become very good at just being elusive, and super sneaky so you don't have to rely on your straight forward combat but it is there as an option to you

I hope I'm getting my ideas across well enough, I'm glad we have a good forum for discussion here! :cool: There is a lot of time to talk about these things, and I think a lot of users will have lots of good ideas for you guys to start on

Damn my whole post just go missing - forum gets me log out not sure why..

So just to make it short

Fixer - he should be rather persuading/intimidating and the fight should be last resort. Also I think he should be able to hire bodyguards to do the dirty work for him

Cop - he should make use of authority "Open up - police" :) Also he should be able to request for backup, be able to be dirty cop and have some other dirty cop collegues in the force

Media - Not much into fighight - rather to sneak and record from hidden places. Should be able to call out for media helicopter in open spaces to scare of the baddies.

Netrunner - again not that much into fighting - hack into personal computers, blackmail (if you kill me your movies with that girl will automatically get to your wife ) :) turn off the security cameras, make changes in the guard schedule etc

Techie - make his own arms modification, robots maybe and other toys. Also this guy was always some sort of macgyver in CP 2020 so should be here too

Medic - making his own unique implants and drugs - implants like Neuromancer Peter Riviera's illusion implants are perfect example.

Rockman - he should use his charisma and style to persuade and he should be able to get the mob to for example make raid on the baddies. Obviously not on just any occasion. But also as he should be kind of well known in night city the baddies should think twice before killing him, or even ask for his autograph :)

Businessman, Nomad - I have no idea and personally I would skip this roles. Moreover I would rather have less roles but with more personal stories and really unique play style than to have all classes that are basically the same. But at the same time I think it will not be possible unless the game allows not to be combat oriented.

What if divide all 9 roles by 3 main forming classes. You know most in cyberpunk universe\storyline there are 3 roles making all: Decker (Hacker) , Mercenary(Enforcer) and Information broker(Thief, trader, dunno). From that point we can create 3 main classes and later on when the story will advance take another sub-class.
Sheet will be like
Decker : Netrunner, Techie
Merc : Cop, Solo, Rockerboy, Nomad
Merchant : Corporate, Media, Fixer.
It will be great idea if story can allow us to pick another subclass from other roletree, like Netrunner Cop etc. or allow to do this after complete game once for greatest replayability. Because who knows what story will turn if we pick or "merge" another classes.

The tricky part for the roles will be how they can interact as a team. Trying to move away from the Tank/healer/DPS will be good. Everyone can have guns, solos are just better at it. The out of combat will be interesting since, with the exception of solo, cop and nomad, most of the other character classes from the CP 2020 game had abilities that functioned the best when interacting with others.

Netrunners make it tricky as when they interact with the computer it is like a separate game. Almost a solo instance for them.

In responding to tnz, I have some very basic ideas. Since cyberpunk is an open-world game, I would see many different ways to tackle objectives, rather than just one way each time.

So, for example, if our character comes across an important NPC that they need information from, dialogue could have a few interesting options, such as:
Cop - he could show the NPC his badge as a threat, or threaten to hurt them.
Corporate - he could bribe with money or use one of his connections to advance
Fixer - he could bribe with information, or dig up information on the NPC to blackmail them into agreeing
Media - he could threaten a person with a bad report, or use one of his connections to get through
Netrunner - he could get the information he needs without even talking to the NPC, just hacking it out of a computer
Rockerboy - he would be extremely threatening to the NPC
Solo - he would also be extremely threatening, but in a professional manner, like holding a gun to the NPCs head

I think the way this could easily work, as demonstrated, is that everyone would get the same thing in the end, but the interaction with objects and people would be all slightly different.

I like Brosdon's idea of starting from a broad class and narrowing it down.

Have to admit I never played Witcher so I'm not sure how deep their skill tree went for that game.

Hi everyone!

At first I wanted to say that I personally think that class of your character should be only a starting point at which your basic characteristics are shaped, whether you want to shoot more or go diplomatic etc. Later on on its only up to you if you want to follow the path or go sides and explore some different branches for instance: I wanna be a kick ass journalist who is gonna stop me? Skill tree should be openned for any class in my opinion...

Hi everyone!

At first I wanted to say that I personally think that class of your character should be only a starting point at which your basic characteristics are shaped, whether you want to shoot more or go diplomatic etc. Later on on its only up to you if you want to follow the path or go sides and explore some different branches for instance: I wanna be a kick ass journalist who is gonna stop me? Skill tree should be openned for any class in my opinion...

I think open-ended character progression is okay to a point, but there should still be a large emphasis on choice and unique roles. You can kick ass as a Media role, but you do it in your own special way, different from any other role in the game :cool:

And I too would love to see the Rockerboy implemented, it just sounds so cool and fighting with the power of music and starting a riot among your peers to combat the Corporates and the Cops? Awesome!

Fixer/ Corporate definitely intrigue me the most, perhaps even a hybrid of the two.

In my mind, a fixer would be all about spying, intel gathering, and then selling or using that information for either money or manipulating organizations into fighting each other. So say for instance your job is to infiltrate some facility. One way you could do it is give (or fabricate) info to another org that's not on friendly terms, and provoke them into a fight. In the chaos of the fight, you'd be free to go in and complete your mission.

A corporate would be more about investments, bribery, and perhaps hiring mercs. But the game will need to have money making opportunities other than loot and mission reward, to adequately feel like a corporate. Perhaps a property mechanism that if improved, can provide an income every few hour, or maybe we can create our own corporation.

A mixture of the two would either have us build an intelligence gathering corporation of sorts, merging the money-making with the intel gathering. Or corporate espionage, which can give you money, new technologies, sabotage competition...etc.

Top Bottom