Lets Talk Immersion...

+
Just finished reading through all the replies in this thread, feels like everybody is having, to a rough extent, similar problems.

I find it pretty easy to immerse myself in this game, and in general I'm really enjoying it... my current level is into the very late thirties.
There is however an exception. I was doing a gig/side job for somebody - I had to sneak into an apartment/penthouse, empty other than 3 active drones & a couple of sleepy androids - to steal/upload something (interact with something in the penthouse owner's bedroom). Oh and there were some security gates that would go off if I went through them, so I had to find alternate routes past these gates without setting off the alarms.

In this penthouse were roughly 4 shards I could pick up & read. At least 2 of these shards were just empty: literally, nothing - no title, no body of text to go with the shards in question. I just picked up 2 literally empty shards.
I considered this being intended... but there's no way... Other shards in this penthouse had stuff on them to read.

To say I felt cucked would be an understatement.
On a final note, mistakes will be made, I understand that. Just chipping in my two cents, and enjoying the game in the meantime.

Immersion, immersion... everyone looks for immersion, but I think few people understands that immersion has nothing to do with how the game is done, but how your mind processes the information around.

For example, one of the first experiences I had with immersion was playing Doom I. Amazing game? Yes. Filled with bugs? Of course, but that didn't make it less enjoyable as an experience. Similar situation while playing Final Fantasy VI... I mean, the Opera scene is one of the most amazing cuts in the history of video games, and it was done on a super nes cartridge, with an SD character design that pixelated every time you moved the character, while you hear a song played in midi. Not even the bad translation broke the immersion, because it has nothing to do with the game, it has to do with you.

God, you can even feel immersion while listening a song, or reading a book. Do an ill played note breaks your immersion when hearing a good song? Do a misspelled word on a lousy edition breaks your immersion when reading a good book?

Or is it that you are looking for those mistakes? And if that's the case, how can you be trusted when you say bugs break your immersion if you are not deepening enough into the game?

2077 is the most immersive game I've played in the last 10 years, even with the amount of bugs it had before patch 1.04. Good news is that bugs can be corrected, while a lousy story no (and we have had plenty of those games that look pretty enough after bug patching, but even the best patch can't correct abad script).

They did Really good job to imerse you in to the story and the world!

that part is just awesome and i litteraly shaked from exitement walkin through night city for the first time and felt how it calls you to explore all of it...

but started noticing there is kinda nothing to do with it... thought its just gonna unlock and show me all the stuff later on but it still didnt happened...

the side quest and scripted shallow "events" started to feel just like a cover to hide the fact there is no openworld mechanics exept driving arround and wending machines...

Even the stores feels like a place holder, food and junk stores are tottaly pointles and feel more like easy way to get more icons on the map to cover more the fact there is nothing to interact with and give you illusion of content...

Really feels like there are just hints of whats supposed to be there in the future... but common its a released product not a preview version... and im talking about stuff even 16years old GTA SA has 200% better, not talking about RDR2, thats just another level, i honestly never expected from CDPR. But have atleast Police System, Stores, Barber shops, plastic surgery and tatto shops, Gangs mechanics and more was possible in a 16years old game ? that should not be anything unusual to ask for espetially after all the promises before the release!

Even the witcher3 did better job giving you the feel you explore and discover those npc to set you on a entertaining side quest. Here you just have icons on the map and anoing calls to again hide the fact there is actually little to no interaction wit them in the world...

I still Hope CDPR is the ones who can deliver on their promises even late tho and regain ther lost reputation

But im getting kinda scared when seeing all the shady stuff thats happening with the reviews and consoles and even the "traditinal CDPR honest status" feels like another big lie and far from honest

so im worried they will just come up with excuse or throw at us the fact its no RPG but a Action- Advanture which again is another shady move from them to change that kinda in silence before release

now feels more like a story mod with demo version of the open world rpg

Hope the devs gets some free time and bonuses before they will get on fixing the mess the marketing and managment propably caused,

i can see the hearth they put in there but somebody cut half of it out...

Really Love and hate the game at this moment would rather wait another year and let them finish it

Last edited:
Immersion, immersion... everyone looks for immersion, but I think few people understands that immersion has nothing to do with how the game is done, but how your mind processes the information around.

For example, one of the first experiences I had with immersion was playing Doom I. Amazing game? Yes. Filled with bugs? Of course, but that didn't make it less enjoyable as an experience. Similar situation while playing Final Fantasy VI... I mean, the Opera scene is one of the most amazing cuts in the history of video games, and it was done on a super nes cartridge, with an SD character design that pixelated every time you moved the character, while you hear a song played in midi. Not even the bad translation broke the immersion, because it has nothing to do with the game, it has to do with you.

God, you can even feel immersion while listening a song, or reading a book. Do an ill played note breaks your immersion when hearing a good song? Do a misspelled word on a lousy edition breaks your immersion when reading a good book?

Or is it that you are looking for those mistakes? And if that's the case, how can you be trusted when you say bugs break your immersion if you are not deepening enough into the game?

2077 is the most immersive game I've played in the last 10 years, even with the amount of bugs it had before patch 1.04. Good news is that bugs can be corrected, while a lousy story no (and we have had plenty of those games that look pretty enough after bug patching, but even the best patch can't correct abad script).

Well some people look for things they dont like. Others overlook every flaw because they like something. Im happy you love the game, but not everyone feels that way. And the things we suggest sure as hell wont make the game worse.

[...]

I acknowledge people can like this game. Hell I like parts of this game a lot (the story, the art direction, the music, the lore, etc). [...] [But] one sure as hell doesn't even have to look for [mistakes] to find them at times.

[Edited for tone -- Sigilfey]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminder to keep the conversation on the game. Everyone is free to argue their opinion on the topic. No one is free to argue their opinion of other people's opinions.

Furthermore, everyone is free to express their thoughts. Someone arguing for or against an opinion is not an "attack" against people that feel differently. Arguing a different point of view or a different way of looking at something is not "derision" of other points of view. That would simply be making an argument.

If you're not prepared to hear people disagree with your views, don't post. Just read.

With skippable option for it with 'C'.
Post automatically merged:

Agreed. So much to work on, so much we actually saw in trailers only to be taken out.
For what it worth, you can honk with your car with CTRL or ALT (forgot...) and I accidentally triggered an animation somehow where I checked the gun even tho it was fully loaded.

But yes. I want an official statement that the cut content and more will be added in.

Its at the gun range for the one gig "Shoot to Thrill" if you don't have the correct caliber weapon selected it'll play an animation instead of firing, only animation trigger I'm aware of. But I'm talking not talking about just honking, ofc I know you can honk, I'm talking about an animation for honking.

There is no immersion in this game..its barely even a rpg..they were so clueless when making this game..my cut off jean shorts are more powerful than my flack jacket..the team that created the game needs to read every single comment in this forum page and rebuild their game..its so linear and the side content seems like there is heaps to do...but its all tue same stuff..go here..kill this guy..go fetch this..barely an open world..no where to go..most things are locked..

And the intro is entirely skipped as well.

Its at the gun range for the one gig "Shoot to Thrill" if you don't have the correct caliber weapon selected it'll play an animation instead of firing, only animation trigger I'm aware of. But I'm talking not talking about just honking, ofc I know you can honk, I'm talking about an animation for honking.

And the intro is entirely skipped as well.
Ah my bad! Yeah animation would be cool, also an option to flip the bird behind the wheel!

Been to a ripperdoc, got some new eyes... no more chair animation to install them... Like I get it could be annoying if you're constantly going to get upgrades (which, how when upgrades expensive but digress), but c'mon, just an animation of you sittin' in the chair and fading to black is pretty nice too

Yeah they can just add an animation but make it skippable, this way getting my entire nervous system replaced feels the same as buying the triple dicksuck BD. Weren't these supposed to be extremely invasive procedures?

There's a big point being made on how augs and cyberware serve to control and erode society, but you don't really feel it, there's no real impact to it.

Can we all acknowledge the REAL issue with immersion. It's major and IDK why nobody else is talking about it.
V's reflection. I have to RP to myself that V is an ancient "day-walker" Vampire, because V doesn't have a standard or glorious ray-tracing reflection. This is so beneath CDPR, and I'm sure they'll add it later, but it kills my immersion big time.
I'm loving the game so much, I can see the finish line to "perfection"... CyberPunk is stretching its arm out, extending to the finish line, but it's just not there yet. I wholly trust CDPR will make this game perfect. I could have waited another year though.
My faith is in CDPR is NOT shaken.

P.S. a "realism mode" once you beat the game would blow my mind. You can die and kill almost instantly from from gun shots or well placed melee hits/stabs & slashes. Like for example, a non-lethal bat with a strong swing to the head can be lethal etc etc. And maybe leave the traditional damage (but toned down for realism mode) strictly to boss encounters.
Little immersion addons like the ones mentioned, would extend this game's life, along with mod support. I want to be playing this for years to come!

My big three immersion breakers...

Clothing - They literally made dev diaries about "Fashion in Night City", but from beginning to end you look like you went shopping from a dumpster. There's no option to hide your hat - which I had kind taken as a given these days. Unless you're willing to ignore stats, you'll never form a coherent looking outfit. I ride a lot of motorcycles in 3rd Person so I probably notice it more than most, but given that the whole setting is "look good doing it" the lack of a transmutation system or something is... just strange.

Food/Drink/Nightclubs - Chalk it up to 2020, but I miss going to bars. I was honestly kind of pumped to go to different nightclubs and just hang out. Pour myself a Johnny Silverhand IRL - they're good by the way - and just chill for a bit. I was bummed to see that every bar/restaurant has the same menu with food/drink that does the exact same stat boosts. You can only "drink at the bar" in scripted scenes. When all you need is a $5 burrito from the vending machine - there's no point in the clubs as is. I stopped at a Club last night, the bartending talked up this special Silverhand ribs or something; hit the purchase screen and it wasn't a option. Just the same menu that every other bar had. Hell just the ability to order a drink "first person" would improve this by leaps.

Joytoy, etc. - OK. I'll go there. For a game that advertised "customize your bits" for a year, there's a shocking lack of... related content. I don't *need* to stare lovingly at my digital dong, but two joytoys? Two in the whole of Night City? Every few steps in some neighborhoods someone will proposition you, but nope. Some poor art dev had to create a lips icon for two workers? Geralt had 26 "romance cards" in Witcher 1. If you decide to go hetero you get a choice of... one. I'm not even going to get into romances, because that could have spoilers attached, but for "casual hookups" - wow. Two.

The Joytoy aspect really pisses me off tbh, its like what's even the point. It's just a silly sequence of rubbing and it's not very "cyberpunk" at all its just vanilla as hell, I get the game is rated M and there are limitations because of the ESRB, showing fully animated sex scenes would be a bit far I guess, but I mean another thing is everyone hypes up the genitalia customization like its amazing but, its not like you're going to be able to get an erection in-game or see the labia open. I'd rather just play eroge at that point like Honey Select where you CAN.

But still agreeing with you on every front as well.

Clothing is so goddamn basic its just mind boggling, there are no options, you can't zip up clothes, can't dye em, you can't customize them in anyway. Helmets don't have any features such as seeing the visor or contrast change from the shade and what not compared to a game like GTAV (yeah IK) with sunglasses as well. Just lack of customization in general. No free form, they couldn't learn anything from any dev studios in the past 8 years huh.

Man the Nightclubs food drinks etc. It all just makes me sad. The serious lack of animations outside of gigs and whatnot and interactivity in the game world just makes the game feel like any other release I've played this year. No idle animations from what I've seen either. Opening doors without hands and such, very questionable. Honestly I felt more relaxed playing Watch Dogs Legion, at least you could drink, dance and have a car drive autonomously. And take selfies.

I have an average system, 1660ti. Have the PC set at 3840, HDMI to 175 watt AVR to a 65" 4k, game set to 3850 and HIGH with a few lows advised. I am amazed at the graphic quality with no fps issues that I can notice. The only bug I have seen is a few duplicate mindless nNPRs right next to each other. It's funny. And one guy sitting in the air. Made me laugh. 40 hours.

The main thing that I demand CDPR to fix immediately is Cops system, why there is no police car driving into the crime scene and start shooting instead of teleporting out of nowhere, MaxTac and Trauma team are also a letdown, no landing into crimescene like the first time you saw them with jackie. Maxtac is also way too op, you don't have a change against them in hardmode. TBH every AI in this game deserves a rework, they are too stupid, and their physics are very unimpressive. They need to use a better engine rework totally. These stuffs must be fixed first before they could rolled out more dlc and expansion, or even multiplayer.

God Forbid multiplayer that shouldn't even be an option, it would cause so many problems than the game already has with the scripts running, such as traffic just stopping outta nowhere and not just going around something. The ragdolls are just pathetic its like they just put in the most generic skeleton and body rig to simulate the deaths, they never die naturally and it just bothers me so bad, I lift their bodies and replace them on the ground so I can get that nice photo.

Attachments

• 20201218234457_1.jpg
    20201218234457_1.jpg
    556 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Some of these may be reposts I'm afraid but I hope my spin on it can be different than other people's already-settled arguements!

Inabilty to walk: It was immensely immersion breaking, especially in most missions where you had to walk near an npc, sometimes they'd have like a circle aura that would make you walk but not always the case, realized there was a mod when I was already 60 hours in and donezo.

Food/drink animation/interaction: GTA 4 Had hotdog stands, there's stands everywhere here too, it was simple and stupid and yet gave the game alot of good RP vibes to order some food and drink it, vending machines do that here but then you just press R to eat and the food just poofs instead of having even the briefest of animations.

Romances: They're arguably one of TW strongpoint (so much so that there was a huge petition to fix Triss, which was later indeed fixed), it's not even about the 10 second sex scene which is hardly even sex it's just that you do quests which are wonderfully crafted by the way (props to the devs for the hand-made quests i have literally 0 complaints about those) but it's more on the fact that romances are 1) unbelievably short and 2) seem to have barely any impact after you do them (aside from ending thankfully). I thought Roman calling me to go bowling in GTA 4 was always annoying af because it was shallow, the character was nice but you never felt close to him, here it's the opposite, you feel close to the characters and even doing mundane stuff could result in more hours of enjoyment (granted idk how hard it is to implement something the likes of going to stripclubs/bowling/playing cards with determined characters is.)

(X)BDs: Braindances are basically mission only, I really enjoyed them I really -WISH- there were more, get rid of those shards and add more BDs instead, they take more time, true but they're nice.

Lore: We know a bunch of NUSA, NC (duh), USSR, Europe and Japan but we really barely know anything, is this supposed to be like this in the cyberpunk genre? I'm unfamiliar with it but seems not to be the case, even just recent NC past would be cool because aside from Johhny's remembrances and stories we get nothing of it and waaaaay more was hinted, full blown wars even with NUSA etc.

Trains/Subway: I inevitably come to the end of a game so i try everything before I experience the ending, travelling around on foot way more (I always avoid fast travel usually), pay for food, generally roleplay/minmax my build, have fun experiencing new builds or prepare to look badass, sadly there's no trains, no cabs (heck you literally had Delamain!), no trains, busses or the like but maybe this is stretching it a little.

Armored vehicles: CP77 has a platform clearly working for armored vehicles because there is a playable tank what would it take to add, say, guns to Delamain cab since it has "combat mode" or god knows what else?

Lack of customization of vehicles/Player character: You see people going "full chrome" and yet you can't even get a tattoo, change hairstyle and or fully changing your body, same applies to vehicles, I'm not asking for much, just changing the color of the vehicle, maybe adding a few external rigs like on nomad cars etc.

Lack of transmog: V's kicks/clothes look cool, I wish I could look that way all game but I'm afraid I can't because I'm forced to wear silly ass clothes to be tanky (I played on VH and ref-tech-cool) while I do not mind this a whole lot, I would really love to go back to V's roots and use his old clothes, same with Kaer Morhen armor in TW3, arguably one of the best looking armors in medieval(ish)-inspired games in matter of looks (not how realistic it is).

There is a problem with Cyberpunk's traffic. When you stop your car and it blocks traffic, nothing happens (or at least on my end). The cars behind don't honk at you, they don't drive past or drive over, they just stop and it don't matter how long you leave your car there, they just become lifeless.

Also, if you stop your car by the pavement and even if a small part of your car is on the road, the cars behind will detect it and stop moving, even if its not blocking their path (probably because the AI cars' sensors are too big).

So that kinda spoils the liveliness of the traffic in Night City for me. Just feel like there's no life. Is anyone experiencing this too?

There is a problem with Cyberpunk's traffic. When you stop your car and it blocks traffic, nothing happens (or at least on my end). The cars behind don't honk at you, they don't drive past or drive over, they just stop and it don't matter how long you leave your car there, they just become lifeless.

Also, if you stop your car by the pavement and even if a small part of your car is on the road, the cars behind will detect it and stop moving, even if its not blocking their path (probably because the AI cars' sensors are too big).

So that kinda spoils the liveliness of the traffic in Night City for me. Just feel like there's no life. Is anyone experiencing this too?
yes my friend broken traffic scripts.

I hope they make it to that the whole crafting system doesn't need 15-12 points to be invested in to upgrade and craft legendries. I wanna be able play that netrunner, gunslinger, boxer, or whatever but the fact that it requires about a quarter of your points to be able to upgrade Johnny's gear set or most iconic weapons really sucks. I would like to not look like or use weapons that came out of a thrift shop for Christ's sake. At least tone down the level requirement for edgerunner artisan to like 11 so we don't have to invest so much into something so basic. I can't even make the dang legendary contagion quickhack without that perk, so yeah it's just annoyingly oppressive on build diversity. If its somehow unreasonable to lower the cap to craft legendries, then please at least get rid of that retched level cap so we can max out our stats and still access all the other fun perks. I don't want to have to invest so much for something that should be available for every play style.

before you guys start calling me a hater, i have currently 120hrs in the game and still playing.

list of stuff that breaks immersion.
1. BD chips that is you can buy and not interact with and sex shop where you can purchase said bd chips (Cut feature?)
2. only 2 joy toys (2 more later in game)
3. you cannot sit anywhere other than in scripted scenes and your home not to mention that i cant watch tv without sitting at home and that weird angle i have to sit in to watch the tv which has awful volume.
4. all the cafes, restaurants, foodstands, bars(only bartender) and npcs you cannot interact with and most of them has same dialogue.
5. full clothed strippers (Really?)
6. arcade machines i see everywhere which i cannot interact with. (yakuza is a good example)
7. romance after the sex scene is BS with no added interactions. (judy is still in the damn apartment.)
(At least give me the option to bring them out and have drinks or something like in GTA, we have the phone and we are able to call them right).
8. barber ships, tattoo shops, more clothing options, first person driving eye height, traffic in general.
(BTW i drive exclusively in first person to make it feel more immersive, and kudos to the devs for the incredible car interiors,
would appreciate if we get rear view mirrors or something to look behind.)
9. kids walking around the city without parents or adult supervision? (feels like they just spawn in kids last min just to please whoever)
10. everyones saying wow theres so many things to explore, so many levels , vertical world building or some shit, but its all a lie, believe me i explored almost ever nook and cranny there is, truth is you go up the buildings there is nothing to interact with except take nice screenshots, maybe a couple of npcs to shoot at.

you guys can say why dont i just go get a dating simulator or some shit, but truth is all these human interactions are what makes the world feel more real, feel less alone like you are the only "living thing" in the world, makes the world feels more alive and makes it feel more immersive.
Without all these features it just makes the world feel super shallow and superficial.

I forgot to add, clouds and mox are completely useless aside from missions sadly which is weird, you have booths, you have everything set up, just put a BD, a doll, a joytoy, anything.. I dunno why they didn't do that..

I think Cyberpunk could take a page off GTA/Assassin's Creed on how the AI (in terms of civilians and traffic) works. They are more responsive to their surroundings and gives more life to them. Bumping into civilians/vehicles in Cyberpunk doesn't have much response as compared to GTA/Assassin's Creed.

Cyberpunk boasts about how immersive their environment is. No doubt the landscape is beautiful, but if the "people" in it feels dead, then it still spoils the immersion.

even if we skip all those seemingly pointless things that other people are saying (Romance, sex, nudity, world interaction)
what about a moral system? fraction system? i thought they said the way we cleared the quest will affect how different gangs will react to us in the open world, well i cleared panam's romance quest and all the other aldecaldos side quests, still when i spot them in pacifica they shoot me when i get too close, these by now should be a standard in all current gen AAA rpgs...

dont get me wrong, i still enjoy the game, its fun, love the different builds and the story, but no it is not immersive.

you guys can say why dont i just go get a dating simulator or some shit, but truth is all these human interactions are what makes the world feel more real, feel less alone like you are the only "living thing" in the world, makes the world feels more alive and makes it feel more immersive.
Without all these features it just makes the world feel super shallow and superficial.

Yeah most of these features I would really only explore once and move on. Like in GTA V, I paid a stripper once, thought 'hey that's kinda cool' then never did it again. They are not 'essential', but...

Problem with CP2077 is so much content is teased and then cut. First 6 hours of me exploring the game was just a constant switch from hype to disappointment.

I'd see so many cool clubs with people out front talking about them and pointing at the windows, only to realize the doors are [LOCKED] permanently and there is no way to enter.

Or I'd hear so much about BDs, I'd get ads about all the new action movie/horror BDs, I'd get the device from Judy, only to realize you can't do shit with it.

Or you'd be told how people in 2077 can change their entire face for like 2000$, the creator says stuff like 'appearance is everything', only to have 0 ways to actually change your characters' haircut later in the game.

Arcades are shown with a tonne of detailed mini-games playing on the screen but you can't really interact with them.

Even the random NPCs look insanely cool and you just want to know more about them and see who they are, but if you approach they'll often feed you a random line which is pretty out of place TBH (80 year old fat white guy asking if you've got something for sale with a 17-year old voice and a thick Japanese accent).

None of these are essential but the game itself teases you, gets you hyped, then leaves you out to dry. No matter how good you will feel a sense of disappointment, by design, which I think is a huge flaw of the game.

Top Bottom