Lets talk music!

+
Endless days of creativity can come from Omni. Ill finish the skeleton to something and sit there for 5-6 hours and just play with atmospheres forever. I CANT GET ENOUGH HNGGGGGGGG

Forum veteran
Yeah, I totally know what you mean. I've been sidetracked for hours by that Japanese children's choir patch alone. It's all just too much power for an ordinary human to possess.

I get alot of issues thou with harmonics clashing sometimes and I try to re-create the effects rack on my own bus etc, so i have better control. Ill drop you a pm man!

I'm curious how much rock/punk flavor the soundtrack will have.

I think there'll be some, even the argument of "it's the future, 2077 you know?" is wrong if you look at how "rock" music age well.
You can listen to Ac Dc or Motorhead (Ace of spades!! lml) It sound good even in 2013 but they're something like 30years old, if not more, it's timeless.
They're classics just like Mozart, Beethoven, Michael Jackson, etc.... those kind of music don't get old (liking it or not, it's a matter of taste).

Rock/Punk/Metal, they all use "natural" instruments, using distortion, overdrive, compression yes, but the sound will never really change, a guitar is a guitar, a bass is a bass, a drum is a drum, sure you can plug your guitar, change the effects, givin it almost everysound you want, but in the end it always sounds like a guitar, in 1970, 2020, 2077, Punk / Rock / Metal will always "sound" the same, sure they'll probably play something different from now (just like the evolution from Punk-rock > Punk Hardcore > D-Beat > Grindcore, but the musical roots are the same, they just add other genre's playing style into the mix)

Look at Blood Duster, they mixed Rock'n Roll and Grindcore together, and that kick ass, could have been 50yo in the past or the future, the music is good and would still be.

In 2013 a lot of people still love and listens to The Beatles, Elvis Presley, it would be stupid to think that everyone will listen to electronic music in 60 years

Talking about Electronic music, honnestly it's the one who age the worst.
Sure there's a lot of good Album / Electronics musicians, but the "overall" sound can go from "wow! coool" to "Ewww cheesy!!!" in a few years
There was a time, the midi-sounding Kraftwerk or Tangerine Dreams were awesome, now it sound awfully old (even if the music in itself is cool, it sounds old nonetheless)
Or look at the Dubstep frenzy with the "bwoop bwopp bwiip bwipp bwobwobowbowobwo", there were a lot in the Total Recall Remake, but maybe in 20yr, everyone will laught at the dubstep as they laught at Eurodance now:
Remember, it was "soooo cool" listening to this back then... so it's hard to know what people will listen too in the future.

They'll probably listen to some "newer music" who sound like the old one, just like now, there were disco, rock, etc... and it turns in circle, now it's disco "hype", tomorrow it'll be the "rock hype", then the "old eletro hype" etc...
Look at the last Daft Punk album, it's just Disco, could have been released in 1973.

I think CDPR should just choose "good music" whenever time it's from, and whatever the genre is electronic as rock or whatever, all it matter is that it fit with the environement, it would feel more acurate to have this (or an another style's counterpart) blasting throught the speakers:
[video=youtube;O-aXp_A_PXE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-aXp_A_PXE[/video]
As you enter a strip club, with classy dark-red neon around, some corpo talking at a table, drunked guy trying to fondle the dancer, a few people walking around the room, conversation's sound in the background with a cigarette's smoke cloud to give a "louder" atmosphere, than hearing some "hardcore-techno-break-your-walls-your-neighbors-are-gonna-call-the-cop."

Sure, if it's a raver club, hardcore electronic would be welcome, the same for a Boostergang's bar, it would feel awkward to hear some Lady Gaga while all you see is a bunch of weird guys, wearing big guns, mohawk, leather, spikes, with dried blood on their shoes lol, some badass music would fit better, more "cinematic", just to give an example.

Anyway, if there's a band who needs to be in cyberpunk 2077 it's KMFDM, in my opinion, they sound "cyberpunk".

Thought, it would be awesome to make a patrol with your Cop character, blasting "Police Brutality" by D.O.A in your car hahaha.

Until you meet a booster gang listening to this.

"Got a problem with da police, creeps?"

There should be at least a Sabbath song in there that does not include Iron Man or War Pigs, mostly because those songs get played way to often and are semi-relevant to the themes of Cyberpunk.
And you can't just not have Sabbath. That's where metal truly started, and frankly, I'd be moderately ashamed if a Priest song didn't make it in there as well.

I'd say Heaven and Hell or Hole in the Sky for Sabbath, if anything. Both seem to have attributes relating to Cyberpunk. Heaven and Hell is about the illusion of life and it's going to fuck you over somehow, and Hole in the Sky just seems to represent the whole attitude of life as a whole going down the tubes.

Take your pick for Hole in the Sky. I think Pantera does a good cover as well.

Original:

Pantera:
[video=youtube;EUXgDy0-v7Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUXgDy0-v7Q[/video]

As for Heaven and Hell, the original works, but it may not hold up as well to the darker climate.

Original:

Benedictum cover, in case you think that the Dio version isn't heavy enough. Surprisingly, the vocalist is a chick:

Electric Eye by Judas Priest. C'mon. Self-explanatory.

[video=youtube;04MmA-nCfQs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04MmA-nCfQs[/video]

Don't know how implementing these would go as far as copyright, but I'm sure the covers would be easier to obtain than the originals.

Forum veteran
I'm going to be seriously disappointed if there's licensed music in this game. It just makes the rights a huge mess later on. Just try and find a digital copy of Hitman: Contracts and you'll see what I mean. It never adds enough to be worth the future problems.

I'll have you know, I broke my post-count just for you!
This is surely a sign of the end times. Lo! A horrible redgening approaches, a herald of the encroaching blankpocalypse.

Also, that's like, so un-leet to go past your post goal, bro.

This studio needs to make a cover band, or employ people from the internet who do covers/original electronica material.

CDPR: The Band.

Problems solved.

I'd like to see mostly if not all original songs, a few "futuristic" covers could be cool but your still dealing with royalties there. I'd also like to see a conservative amount of synths making up the soundtrack. The music backing the Mike Pondsmith video put a dark atmospheric twist to the standard orchestra format and was just perfect.

How does this thread differ from the 'Soundtrack' thread again?

isn't this the thread where we are supposed to discuss the types of music as well as the possible uses of music to alter the emotional responces of the players to given situations? While the soundtrack thread is the one to spanm with youtube videos and links to the sound cloud?

Chris everything ok? You've been acting like forum police this last week :p

But yeah I'd prefer newly created tracks that give atmosphere rather than radio stations with all kinds of stuff.

Hm.

Along with what it is we like about music x, y, or z, I think it's also salient to talk about *how* the music is used.

While I don't expect a GTA clone, I do think GTA gets music right for a lot of it. A variety of radio stations, so the player can choose what kind of experience they have during "free roam / off time," and select tracks to set atmosphere duing specific missions. Ambient traffic noise and NPC conversation when walking around the street, with the occasional soundtrack song fading in, then out, as a car rolls by. Good stuff.

Also:

Seriously, you think that an imposter would steal Redge's identity, given all of the people he could have picked? Must be the real thing.
That Redge chap is a FINE specimen. I could've impersonated Sard, but the dementia hasn't quite set in well enough to be convincing.

I'm going to talk about techno. Now, I believe they should have a score to go along with it all but there should be street music and raves. Real underground techno and not the horse shit they call techno in GTA V because that is far from techno. It is mainstream sounding crap on GTA V and I wish they worked with real techno DJ's to make that shit happen.

Anyways, real techno is a primitive form of electronic music that has roots in tribal circles with just drums. It is a darker side but has the four to the floor beats that makes people groove.

I just hope they put some real techno in the game for the underground heads all across the World. I'm sure they'll get love for it.

Wouldn't mind hearing some epic trance or drum n bass from time to time, but my heart belongs to techno.

As for the score let's get some dark synths going.

Top Bottom