Lets talk music!

+
Lets talk music!

So just before I go off on what I have been thinking the last couple days Id like to just say Im new to Cyberpunk world and the reason Im here and apart of it now if because of some surfing on a "Bladerunner" prop forum. Ironic!

Anyway,

There has been alot of mention about Bladerunner being a major inspiration for this project and I just wanted to point out some thoughts in regards to the movie and the soundtrack. Bladerunner would not have been the same movie if it was not for Vangelis scoring it. (Maybe JMJ could have pulled it off!). Riddley Scott chose quite well!

Now I feel that a game/environment if this caliber should have equally good music. To well set moods. Like the scenes Deckard is on his balcony and Bladerunner Blues is playing and before the Memories of Green. My point here is that I think a lot of thought has to be given to the soundtrack and atmosphere that will be covered musically. There was alot covered in the end from Vangelis he wrote around 3cd's word.

What do you guys think about this? Im a music producer and love every aspect of music (except brain damaging commercial music) and I cringe every time I play a great game or watch an awesome movie and the music is not there to back it or to set moods, I find mood setting with music is absolytely essential. And especially if were going to feel this DARK, DIRTY, GRITTY, RAIN & ROMANCE. From the interviews, writings & video blogs I have seen so far and understood this game will decimate and bring us this 'Dark feel' and it should be treated accordingly.

And dont get me wrong there is alot of movies which have had awesome scores but I thought Id bring BR/Vangelis up because it was mentioned over and over again.

Anyways /discuss

(PS YES I have seen alot of threads about music but nothing I found relevant to how I felt about the whole thing)

...preeeeeeeetty sure that this conversation can be carried out well in the existing Soundtrack thread.

Granted, it's a lot of people just posting what they think would fit well into the soundtrack, but I'm sure there's at least a few folks who'd be willing to discuss *why* they think Music (x) fits the theme and feel of the game.

Im looking for a more discussion / experience sort of thing not just people posting youtube links on end (No offence guys)

Forum veteran
I find mood setting with music is absolytely essential.
This, basically, though I'd also argue that it's equally essential that the method by which the mood is set be completely unique rather than drawing on what's expected; a problem I have with a lot of the stuff that people post in the music threads (last I checked, at least) is that a lot of it is meaningless electronic garbage. No soul, no atmosphere... just a lot of repetitive, synthy banging around, which is the laziest possible way a soundtrack can set a "futuristic and dark" mood.

There aren't a lot of people around here who liked Remember Me aside from me, but the soundtrack for it is excellent, being musical, completely unique, and setting the mood perfectly without coming across as derivative. Cowboy Bebop is another example of music being unique and unexpected while setting the scene perfectly. Contrast those with the music in Mass Effect 2, especially toward the end, which is so predictable and unoriginal that it could have been copy-pasted from pretty much any game. It has no identity of its own, instead being your typical "orchestral means something super serious is happening" nonsense. I hope 2077 can avoid a more synthy version of that same fate.

Have to disagree. The sound tracks for the first 2 Mass Effect games are superlative imo, especially ME1. They capture the spirit perfectly. Same with DX: HR. Synth and Techno are a lot more versatile than you give them credit. I've come to expect that genre in a cyberpunk game. I'm fine with other sounds - classical, rock, punk rock, heavy metal, etc. But without a synth/electronica element, it's not Cyberpunk to me.

Forum veteran
I'm not against synths or the genres that use them so much as the reliance on simple ones as a crutch to indicate how super-totally-futuristic things are. I even like a lot of the music in HR, though I'm blown away that you like the music in ME2. Completely different tastes, I guess.

It's kind of hard to describe, but what I'm talking about is the difference between this (synthy and futuristic, but ultimately hollow and emotionless) and this (which is better). Ideally, I'd prefer a soundtrack that spans several genres, or even better, uses synths to create new takes on familiar genres. Basically, I don't want it to just sound futuristic, but also have its own completely unique style.

Funny you should ask. No, not yet anyway. It's the settings and potential of the genre that interests me. Haven't read a single Cyberpunk novel.

CDPR already said that they are aiming at very diverse styles/genres of in game's music. CP2077 trailer music is a good example, not very electronic and synthy, but still fitting the setting and carrying a message.

I'm not against synths or the genres that use them so much as the reliance on simple ones as a crutch to indicate how super-totally-futuristic things are. I even like a lot of the music in HR, though I'm blown away that you like the music in ME2. Completely different tastes, I guess.

It's kind of hard to describe, but what I'm talking about is the difference between this (synthy and futuristic, but ultimately hollow and emotionless) and this (which is better). Ideally, I'd prefer a soundtrack that spans several genres, or even better, uses synths to create new takes on familiar genres. Basically, I don't want it to just sound futuristic, but also have its own completely unique style.

Im not saying it needs to be new age EDM, youre missing my point. Watch BR and listen to the Soundtrack youll understand what I mean by this. Im not having a go dude. However i understand what youre saying and I agree that it needs to have alot of soul and emotion inside it to make the perfect setting.

CDPR already said that they are aiming at very diverse styles/genres of in game's music. CP2077 trailer music is a good example, not very electronic and synthy, but still fitting the setting and carrying a message.

These days everything is created electronically either if its a rompler, sampler, synth etc it doesnt matter it will be said 'produced' either way.

Really curious to see how it will unfold, like most scores are a story of their own.

Forum veteran
Im not having a go dude.
Why does everyone always think that I'm arguing with them or starting a fight? I was just making a side point while we had a thread to talk about music.

You people are going to give me a complex.

These days everything is created electronically
Lies! I demand that 2077's soundtrack uses an analog Minimoog recorded onto tape.

One of these days Sard and I are gonna have a CAPS showdown. Whoever lets off the SHIFT key first, loses.

More like, whoever doesn't let off the SHIFT key first, gets a three day ban from Dragon.

Because moderators are the WEIGHT of AUTHORITY.

Why does everyone always think that I'm arguing with them or starting a fight? I was just making a side point while we had a thread to talk about music.

You people are going to give me a complex.

Lies! I demand that 2077's soundtrack uses an analog Minimoog recorded onto tape.

free interwebs hugz 4ever then

More like, whoever doesn't let off the SHIFT key first, gets a three day ban from Dragon.

Because moderators are the WEIGHT of AUTHORITY.

Three day ban? Nonsense. I just come round to your house and rest my copious dragon butt on your capslock key until you learn correct forum etiquette.

Forum veteran
Free hugs and a moderator using the phrase "copious dragon butt"? I hereby declare this thread a resounding success. High-fives all around!

Also, I mentioned a Minimoog and the OP didn't appear to become sexually excited, so I'm calling BS on the whole "music producer" thing.

Free hugs and a moderator using the phrase "copious dragon butt"? I hereby declare this thread a resounding success. High-fives all around!

Also, I mentioned a Minimoog and the OP didn't appear to become sexually excited, so I'm calling BS on the whole "music producer" thing.

Ah nah i got excited however Im more of a hard-on for atmo stuff (Omnishpere) etc!

Top Bottom