Let's talk translations and other languages

+
Hi I'm from Brasil, and if I buy a retail version here in rio, go home happy as a kid in a toy store, only to find that its fully dubbed in shitty portuguese acting, with no option to select english audio (just like halo does every goddamn time), I swear to god I'll go on a rampage

How was the witcher 1 and 2 in this respect? Did they sell the English or polish version with subtitles?

Brazilian Portuguese Dubbing

Sooooo... trying to reach a developer here, or anyone with inside contact with CD Projekt Red.
Everyone one in my family are great fans of The Witcher, we have the English translated books, the Brazilian Portuguese translated books, both games on PC (on GOG AND on Steam, hehehe), and even my old father likes to watch the amazing cutscenes that you make.

When we saw yesterday that The Witcher 3 will be dubbed in Brazilian Portuguese, I freaked out! THAT’S AMAZING!!! Just… when it isn’t.

You see, there is not that much dubbed games in “PT-BR”, as we say, and, probably because of that, there are some really awesome examples, and some really, really bad, cringe-inducing ones. That happens basically because of the casting and the studio contracted by the company to handle the voice overs.

So I decided to intervene (hehehe)!!! I know that CD Projekt Red really dedicates itself to keep the quality of its games at its peak, always, and at all fronts, accepting feedback and all, and I will not let them be ashamed by a poor brazilian-portuguese dub.

So here it goes, some really good, some nice ones, and some really bad examples of PT-BR dubbing:
First, the best ones:
- Injustice: Gods Among Us. The best of all PT-BR voice overs. They even used the same casting of the television animated series of Justice League. Great actors, great directing, perfect.
- Batman: Arkham Origins. Great voice overs, with the same casting that made the PT-BR dubbing of the Nolan Batman movies.
- Diablo III. Again, great casting, great directing, recognizable voices, professional dubbers.
- Starcraft 2. The same of Diablo III.

Now, the so-so ones:
- Watch Dogs. Only the main character is good, the rest is really, really bland.
- Halo 3 and Halo 4, Call of Duty Black Ops 2. Good dub, just not as great as the first that I mentioned.

And now, the worst ones:
- Assassin’s Creed 3 and Assassin’s Creed 4. Terrible, awful, horrible. Bad actors, worse directing. Horrible voices, bland ones really, inaudible, emotionless. Waste of time and money for the developers.
- Killzone 3, Infamous 2, Uncharted 3. Anything, really that is not made here in Brazil (the dub of those games were made by a Miami Studio).

So, that’s what I wanted to say, hope any of the devs hear, so that they don’t fall into a trap, or, as we say around here, “não caiam em uma sinuca de bico”, hehehe
Bye!!!

Pretty sure the dubbing of the game is going to be outsourced and not done by CDP themselves.

I yeah, I imagined that. Even so, it is their interest and responsability that the game come out as best as possible. If they hear the Warner Bros guys, responsible for publishing the game in a lot of areas, I guess everything will be fine, since Injustice and Batman AO are WB games also.

Again, like I said in the other thread, If I buy the retail version here in Brazil, only to find out that there is no option for english audio (like happened with 2 halo games here) and I have to play the best game ever in shitty portuguese dubbing, I shit you not, I'll go on a coke fueled rampage.

Oh man, sorry to hear that, coke fueled rampages are not good for anyone. About the Halo games, I guess that if you change the system language to english, you can play the Halo games with the english audio (works with Shadow Complex - sorry to say it, a bit late, I guess, hehehe).

Oh man, sorry to hear that, coke fueled rampages are not good for anyone. About the Halo games, I guess that if you change the system language to english, you can play the Halo games with the english audio (works with Shadow Complex - sorry to say it, a bit late, I guess, hehehe).

Yeah I know, it would be very unhealthy.

I tried changing the system language… so many times… I tried and tried… oh the memories just hurt too much !

Oh... come on, Halo 3 and 4 even aren't that bad... hehehe. Have you played Assassin's Creed 4 in portuguese?!!! That's bad!!! hehehe

It was Halo reach if my memory serves, " Atirando granada de plasma!!" As soon as I heard that I got up gave the controller to my brother, and said " Fuck it I'm done"
I get cringes just imagining how AC must have been, rough stuff man.. rough stuff.

Oh... come on, Halo 3 and 4 even aren't that bad... hehehe. Have you played Assassin's Creed 4 in portuguese?!!! That's bad!!! hehehe

I remember all the work in getting the IWHBYD skull in Halo 3 just to realize they didn't translate any of the extra/secret audio, neither they gave the option to hear it in English, so the Brazilian version didn't have it at all. I was disappointed to say the least.
But on topic, the PC version will certainly have a spoken language option, the console version will probably have it too. But I don't personally care as I won't use the Portuguese dubbing.

I can testify for the lack of quality in the Assassin's Creed dubs. Other than that, though, I have absolutely no idea. The few disappointments I had with dubbing left a scar in me that led me to playing every and any game in its original language (usually English).

I support the idea, but I think that maybe this shoudldn't be a priority to CDP. Let them focus what needs to be focused (unless, of course, they actually have the time and resources to spend on this right now). I can't say I'll be really disappointed if there's no dubbing. It's the kind of thing that needs to be perfect, otherwise it's a huge downside. I'll probably just play in English no matter what.

By the way, your whole family likes the series? That's freaking awesome!

Thank god I found this thread, was starting to get really worried about this brazilian portuguese dubb aswell =x. Remember playing Halo 4 dubbed, not a very good experience, besides the really bad acting... there was also some out of places dialogs in the middle of cutscenes. Anyway, if the game do come dubbed in portugues, at least give us the option to change the voices langue please!
P.S.: I know I must sound like a whiny bitch, but usualy brasilian dubb is extremey awful:sad:

Better just cancel it and take the money on some CE for us, its sad that this is the final chapter of the game and I will never get the chance to buy one.

Thank god I found this thread, was starting to get really worried about this brazilian portuguese dubb aswell =x. Remember playing Halo 4 dubbed, not a very good experience, besides the really bad acting... there was also some out of places dialogs in the middle of cutscenes. Anyway, if the game do come dubbed in portugues, at least give us the option to change the voices langue please!
P.S.: I know I must sound like a whiny bitch, but usualy brasilian dubb is extremey awful:sad:
For the god sake Brazilian dubb sucks a lot, A LOT, also there won't be charles dance in brazilian voice

Spanish is one of the most spoken languages in the world. It's strange if they would not dub TW 3 in Spanish. My sympathies for you.

Better just cancel it and take the money on some CE for us, its sad that this is the final chapter of the game and I will never get the chance to buy one.
Hey, don't fret man, there is ALWAYS a way. I will make everything to buy one, hehehe

Last edited:
And WB Games Brasil will delay in almost 2 months the game as they always do. I will NEVER wait that long. Will import from the specialized game stores!

Top Bottom