Let's talk translations and other languages

+
If you go that way, why is there a french dubbing? That's 74 millions people (if you count France, Canada, Belgium, Switzerland, etc.) versus 60 for italian, not that much of a difference.
Precisely because "if we go that way" games in French sell multiple times what they typically sell in Italian.

Counting the "total population" is laughable as a criterion, when the difference is made by the number of persons who actually buy stuff.

Precisely because "if we go that way" games in French sell multiple times what they typically sell in Italian.

Counting the "total population" is laughable as a criterion, when the difference is made by the number of persons who actually buy stuff.

Well indeed I am not expecting the game to have dubbing in Mandarin, for that reason. When it comes to French vs. Italian, I'm sorry but it was less obvious to me that Italians don't buy videogames.

Italian market's size is laughable. I wouldn't do an italian dubbing either if I was in their shoes.
It just doesn't make much sense from a financial standpoint.
Skyrim is fully voiced in Italian. Assassin's Creed series too, etc. There are many many many games voiced in Italian.

Skyrim is fully voiced in Italian. Assassin's Creed series too, etc. There are many many many games voiced in Italian.
and all the batman games and mass effect trilogy and many games of EA, Ubisoft, 2K Games, Microsoft, Warner Bros, Capcom, Konami, Codemasters, Namco Bandai etc.
only second-most games do not have a complete translation in italian
Italian players buy games not dubbed in their own language only when a price reduction

Italian players buy games not dubbed in their own language only when a price reduction

Isn't that a bit of a hasty generalization? I doubt GTA V hasn't sold like hotcakes in Italy as well, for instance. I doubt The Witcher 3 won't either just because it didn't get a voice-over; if it were such a crucial factor, I believe CDPR would have considered doing it.

Unless it's really such a small market percentage to be completely looked over, which I don't think it is. After all, it did get subtitles.

Last edited:
The decision on whether or not to do a full translation to any language is based on a market analysis on whether or not the extra sales would justify the cost of adding the language, which is pretty high, especially for a game of this nature. CDPR have access to that market data, and made their decisions accordingly. It isn't really relevant to compare to other games may have a big difference in both the cost of dubbing and the expected sales revenue. Voicing a game of this size is VERY expensive.

That market data may be wrong, there's already been a suggestion from an interview that Spanish maybe should have got a voiced version, but it's still the best data they had available. So, while it's reasonable for you to be disappointed that it isn't in your language, there really isn't any choice but to accept it. Or do as the Brazilians did with TW2 and produce your own VA work.

The decision on whether or not to do a full translation to any language is based on a market analysis on whether or not the extra sales would justify the cost of adding the language, which is pretty high, especially for a game of this nature. CDPR have access to that market data, and made their decisions accordingly. It isn't really relevant to compare to other games may have a big difference in both the cost of dubbing and the expected sales revenue. Voicing a game of this size is VERY expensive.

That market data may be wrong, there's already been a suggestion from an interview that Spanish maybe should have got a voiced version, but it's still the best data they had available. So, while it's reasonable for you to be disappointed that it isn't in your language, there really isn't any choice but to accept it. Or do as the Brazilians did with TW2 and produce your own VA work.
thanks for your kind reply
patience, tI will buy the game in a year when it will cost less

- RAGE
- Skyrim
- All the AC series
- Mass Effect Trilogy
- Batman series
- Lord of the Rings - War of the North
- Shadow of Mordor
- Half Life series
- Borderlands 2
- Call of Duty series
- Far Cry series
- Crysis series
- Fallout 3 and NV
- Bioshock series
- Metro 2033 and Last Light
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series
- Alien Isolation
- Doom 3
- Overlord 2
- Ryse: Son of Rome
- Dead space series
- Alan Wake
- Mafia II
- Alien Vs. Predator 2010
- Tomb Raider 2013
- Hitman: Absolution

and many other, all voiced in Italian.

You have added Russian language which is the 2nd "Realm of Piracy" (see there: http://www.vilabs.com/hs-fs/hub/270...October-2014-Software-Piracy-Heatmap-1501.png)

I don't understand the financial choice but maybe is complex.
Again, I second the request of adding Italian voices.

Thank you.

You have added Russian language which is the 2nd "Realm of Piracy" (see there: http://www.vilabs.com/hs-fs/hub/270...October-2014-Software-Piracy-Heatmap-1501.png)

Still, Russia is second only to the US in owned games on Steam by country, and, more importantly, has the second largerst number of the owners of Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 on Steam (about six times as many owners of Witcher games on Steam in Russia as compared to Italy). Granted, games are cheaper in Russia on Steam, but still.

Also the Russian distributor/publisher of the game, 1C Softclub, is taking care of the localization (i.e. searching for and hiring actors and so on), with CD Projekt only supervizing it. And 1C Softclub is paying for this localization being made themselves.

So, everything is not that simple, and developers and publishers have to make extensive marketing research when deciding about the localizations.

Last edited:
Let me be the most diplomatic I can be about this question..... Spanish community did a signature collect but nothing works. So don't expect miracles. Numbers are numbers and CDPR is not an NGO.

In fact, brands lof big publisher have already their own market even if they know their game is a meh, (aka Diablo3) . The CDPR brand is still being newier for some markets where video games just begin to take hold as a first or second choice of entertainment, ahead of cinema or nightlife.

Last edited:
That's right. This is the reason that I never preordered TW3 (and I have the previous game both in GoG and Steam), the financial research may consider this too.
Also I'll not buy the game at D1 since doesn't deserve (IMO) my own € 43,79 (discounted because I already own TW1 and TW2).
I buy it when the price will be €10 or less.

Really? Less than €10?? in what world does a 100+ hour game with lots of replayability/different playstyles etc deserve such a low price point?

I'm on a fixed income (and not a generous one at that...) yet see the asking price to be entirely appropriate. Not so keen on the expansions price... I'd be happy for that to drop a wee bit more. I'll wait on buying those until I've played the game and decided whether it is a must buy or not.

Really? Less than €10?? in what world does a 100+ hour game with lots of replayability/different playstyles etc deserve such a low price point?

I'm on a fixed income (and not a generous one at that...) yet see the asking price to be entirely appropriate. Not so keen on the expansions price... I'd be happy for that to drop a wee bit more. I'll wait on buying those until I've played the game and decided whether it is a must buy or not.
but we bought skyrim at DayOne ...
and I remember that Italy, for several years, is no more among the countries accused of piracy

Spelling/localisation of Witcher 3 concern

For the English version of Witcher 3, it uses the American spelling as shown by the gameplay trailers and heavily hinted by the American system used on this website. This is incorrect and should be addressed.

English originated somewhere in London/Oxford and from then and there, it is sometimes called proper English. When a language spreads it becomes variegated and inferior thus when spoken abroad, it is called corrupted dialects or bastard English. We don't really discuss this with the lot on the internet because and according to an aerodynamics professor, it is pointless to argue with idiots.

According to Oxford, the world's foremost and oldest authority on the English language, English is divided into two 'types' (I won't discuss the grammar; syntax, morpology... punctuation, main clause differences etc):
Type 1: British and World English
Type 2: American English

Thus it is incorrect for the age confirmation to be displayed as MM/DD/YYYY when visiting this website for the first time. In America, that is how they display it. The rest of the world has it left to right DD/MM/YYYY which is proper but sometimes they have it backwards which is also acceptable YYYY/MM/DD.

Thus it is incorrect for the soon to be released Witcher 3 video game to display American spelling such as ARMOR when it should be ARMOUR under the English version.

Amongst law and corporate websites, they sometimes do have an option to switch languages and they display the UK flag which indicates that they have done their research. On this website, top right, they display an American flag if a user elects English.

Even though English is my second language, it is shocking that these simple things are not known and adhered. Hopefully someday in the distance future this post will be read by Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz and the problem patched for the Witcher series. I probably shouldn't mention his name but I have faith in him since The Witcher. We called him the patcher. I think he fixed a lot of bugs back then.

Don't get me wrong, but it's not your business about the price I want to pay for a game. The important thing is that I will NOT PIRATE the game in any circumstance, I want just to way for a deal, even if it will pass a year or more.

Well...personally, I like play games and watch movies with the original language more than the voiceover, but it's impossible to blame people which don't want to pay the full price for a game not entirely localized.

Well...personally, I like play games and watch movies with the original language more than the voiceover, but it's impossible to blame people which don't want to pay the full price for a game not entirely localized.

Very good point. German users get fully localized game. Italian only text at the same price of German users. Since the Italian is not considered as a very minor language (check the many games voiced in Italian), TW3 doesn't deserve the full price for us.

As far as I'm aware this is not a thread to discuss TW3's "deserved price". So either take it to an appropriate thread or PM.

Top Bottom