Letter from A. (could he be...) [Witcher 1 Spoilers]

+
Letter from A. (could he be...) [Witcher 1 Spoilers]

So I came across a bookshop where the merchant told me someone had left a book with a red cover for me, appearantly quite a long time ago. Once you find the book (My Manifesto - The Life of Jacques de Aldersberg) there will be a letter inside that reads:

Witcher,

In the ocean of possibility, some events are more likely, and some less. It is not easy to fish out the first, not even when one's intellect stretches through all time and space.

I left this letter for you in the hope that, despite all odds, you will come across it one day, for I must warn you. Mankind is threatened. The prophesied destruction by the White Frost is not just the babbling of some mad she-elf. Perhaps I will have the opportunity to convince you of this in person. If not, I must rely on this letter, which you will read many years from now, at a time when you know more than you did when we first met.

Know that nothing will save the world except preparing its entire population for this catastrophe. The old tales say a Child of the Elder Blood can stave off the danger, but I tried and failed. Ever since I have been haunted by a hideous vision, a crowned wraith. The specter of my failure.

I was the chosen one, and the chosen one failed. You and your brotherhood are our only hope. When the time of the wolf's blizzard comes, men shall perish and only the ubermen will survive. Your duty is to give the world ubermen.

Whatever you think of me, do not fail as I have failed.

-A

All the signs point towards this being a letter from Alvin. Does this mean Alvin is actually a child of the elder blood as well? He seems to claim as much. Could he still be alive if you didn't kill him but let his soul be taken instead?

Edit:
Bookshop Location

Last edited:
Yeah,

Alvin seems to be Ciri's cousin, many times removed.

What's interesting is this implies Alvin tried to save the world like Ciri, only to fail and that he has had past encounters with the Wild Hunt.

luc0s

Forum veteran
You people do realize that Alvin = Jacques de Aldersberg right? The only reason Alvin failed is because Geralt killed him (for good reasons though).

You people do realize that Alvin = Jacques de Aldersberg right? The only reason Alvin failed is because Geralt killed him (for good reasons though).

Well, this letter is referring to his failure BEFORE Geralt killed him.

Also, he mentions he'll try to persuade Geralt to follow his ideals, which Geralt mentions.

I *THINK* Alvin is referring to a previous attempt to save the world.

luc0s

Forum veteran
Well, this letter is referring to his failure BEFORE Geralt killed him.

That's not true. Time isn't a linear concept for sources like Alvin and Ciri. When Alvin wrote that letter he probably already saw/realized that Geralt would kill him.

Also, he mentions he'll try to persuade Geralt to follow his ideals, which Geralt mentions.

Which is exactly what Jacques de Aldersberg tried at the end of The Witcher 1.

I *THINK* Alvin is referring to a previous attempt to save the world.

No, I'm convinced he's referring to the finale of The Witcher 1. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

I don't believe so, I believe he tried before in the way Ciri did and failed.

Know that nothing will save the world except preparing its entire population for this catastrophe. The old tales say a Child of the Elder Blood can stave off the danger, but I tried and failed. Ever since I have been haunted by a hideous vision, a crowned wraith. The specter of my failure.

I was the chosen one, and the chosen one failed. You and your brotherhood are our only hope.

This part seems to indicate just that. After trying to stop the White Frost the Wild Hunt started following him (a crowned wraith). "The chosen one failed", so he decided to try what we saw him do in W1. "Know that nothing will save the world except preparing its entire population for this catastrophe." That was his final plan, however Geralt stopped this from happening in the end.

Of course this is just me interpreting his words and I could be entirely wrong.

That's not true. Time isn't a linear concept for sources like Alvin and Ciri. When Alvin wrote that letter he probably already saw/realized that Geralt would kill him.
For himself or herself time is still linear, just because he/she can jump through time/space doesn't mean that he saw his death, if he would jump from today to two days from now, then he wouldn't exist during these two days he jumped over, so he wouldn't been able to see his death, nothing could have happened to him during these two days

luc0s

Forum veteran
For himself or herself time is still linear, just because he/she can jump through time/space doesn't mean that he saw his death, if he would jump from today to two days from now, then he wouldn't exist during these two days he jumped over, so he wouldn't been able to see his death, nothing could have happened to him during these two days

That's not true. Alvin could look into the future. Ciri also had visions of the future from time to time.

Time isn't linear in the sense that whenever Alvin or Ciri jumps to the future, they jump to one of many possible futures. The future isn't set in stone and so time most certainly isn't linear, it's more like a branching tree.

"Perhaps I will have the opportunity to convince you of this in person. If not, I must rely on this letter,"

The sense of failure could either mean that there'd been a previous attempt, or that he wrote it after Geralt's showdown with Azer Jhaved, by which time Alvin would have realised he'd failed, unless he could talk Geralt round.

I'm so pleased that this was in the game, and that you found it. I can't be the only one who went over Avallach's lab to see if there was a reference to him.

And yeah, I think he was Elder Blood. Just mistaken about who the Chosen One was.

Thx Ceylia , and that purple man in that building have a book? Because i can not interact/talk to him

I thought Alvin was not canon anymore?
Seeing as how everyone forgot that he existed in TW2+TW3

From what I have heard from book fans his existence contradicts the lore

I thought Alvin was not canon anymore?
Seeing as how everyone forgot that he existed in TW2+TW3

From what I have heard from book fans his existence contradicts the lore

Speaking as a book fan, that's nonsense.

Top Bottom