Level 12 sword for a level 24 quest

+
One thing you should've realized while playing this game is that you should NEVER EVER start any sidequests that ends up with weapon gears as quest end reward until you are satisfied with your current level to begin that sidequest.

I know exactly what you mean and understand your frustration but that's how the game was built, in that the game's sidequest once you begin them will not scale with your level ups.

I say this bcz for example Hattori quest actually gives you a higher levelled sword if your character reached beyond the 'suggested' level before beginning that quest.

Last edited:
@ Tuco: No, I just took the discussion to another level by adding to the topic, that not just only the scaling of loot is weird in TW3, but also in certain other ways.
Because of enemies don't scaling up better (or in general), thats the issue, why the game feels in certain moments way too easy.and why we can outlevel at all this game.

Would enemies scale up appropiately to our character progression, then wouldn't exist also any problems with adding more classical RPG elements of gaining Exp, like I summed some most classical examples up there, that come to your mind, when thinking about the gameplay elements of TW3 that should give your Exp, because of Geralt learning simply somethign new or expereincing something for his first time, what means he gains new experience. Period, cause its logical.

It hasn't anything to do with it, that I want to see CDPR making the game even alot easier - no, just more logical and the fix for gaining more options of gaining Exp is making enemies scale up appropiately to you, so that they stay also constantly being challening enemies and that you get also appropiate rewards for killing something, that is alot stronger than you, because currently, there is absolutely no reward in the game for killing a Red Skull Symbol enemy and you are simply best with it to avoid fighting these enemies simply, because you get nothign at all for acceptign that challenge and defeating these monsters, while you are underleveled, not even somethign fitting, like an instant level up, to give you at least a little incentive to go try to kill something, that is stronger than you.

Do you seriously thought, that I suggest all these things, to dumb down the game? , No, my suggestions have hand and feet and would lead to an alot better balanced game, which feels also more entertaining, because it would give the player more the feeling that the things that you do in the game affect you and your progression of Geralt and that these thigns in the game aren't just wasted potential that didn't got used, like for example Alcohol in the game... why is it there?
In TW1 it was at least useful and had a reason for existance, because you needed it to make NPCs tell you things, they normally would tell nobody.

In TW3 its just useless garbage that you do best sell instantly for some super lousy crowns :( what is really sad and a real sign, of how you can dumb down things in a game to nothingness

Oh my god, are you seriously suggesting that level scaling about enemies shit?

In a game where enemies don't scale (level wise), this is how the loot system should have been:
- Equipment does not scale
- Equipment drops in chests and from enemies are not random
- Equipment has fixed levels and stats (Diagram based equipment can have changing levels though, see below)
- Player can use whatever level equipment they find at whatever levels without penalties
- There should be crafting diagrams for all equipment, and these should have adjustable levels. (Example - One should be able to make level 15 Assassin's Gauntlets if they are level 10, or level 45 Assassins's Gauntlets if they are level 40, with the SAME diagram. Being able to craft +5 levels higher gear should be good. Cost can be high for those.)

Yeah, basically, but the loot should be lowered a bit, with some hidden chest in abbandoned areas (not used for quests), which some really cool unique piece of armor and sword inside, in order to reward the exploration.

hmm, i think this game could get quite hard if all weapons and armors were defaulted to level 1 across the board... instead, DPS would only depend on character abilities while equipment (level) would not play such significant role...

I shudder when i remember the Bandits in Daedra Armor in Oblivion...

It was absolutely stupid in Oblivion but fixed in Skyrim.

BTT

I think the problem is the Quest Reward itself.
Make it proper to the Questlevel and give it a unique design and name, for both, Masterarmor (give me an armor like Ravens Armor instead) and sword Quest (Like it was in Witcher 1 with Aerondight and the Lady of the Lake).

Not this...."I give you this sword, strong enough to slay a god!" "Oh...errr...let me sell you this great sword a got recently!"

Last edited:
problem is - you can only use items of the same level or lower than your current level.. so all rewards are scaled towards your level... so, because your level was 13, you got the level 12 sword. (seems like items are appearing in certain bands, 3,6,12..etc)

I think it would be much better if items had fixed level instead, while you could increase the item level via smith/armorer. that would make all those manuscripts much more important, as it would allow you to reforge those weapons/armors to your level, while weapons you find would be fixed level only...

reforging option could cost a lot of money and could require additional material, therefore player would have to spend extra money upgrading his equipment, which would also solve the issue with way too much money available at certain point in game..

OP clearly wrote he finished the quest at lv 15, therefore he gets a lv12 sword.

In fact, after patch 1.03 with loot scale, i noticed all gear is gimped because it seems gear looted from Hidden-Chest or Monsters/ Quest-rewards are ALWAYS *3-levels* below my main lv with terrible states.

This is in-turn forces the player to rely on crafted gear making witcher-gear OP and/or the only route which kinda sucks...

This loot *issue* reminds me of Dragon Age Inquisition -- They had it worse because RNG was tied to Craft-schematics, but the issue mainly was that CRAFTED gear trumped everything... Looted gear / Quest rewards were always obsolete which makes me a very-say Panda; same is now for Witcher 3 it seems after patch.

2nd playthrough, and I recall looting COOL swords in Velen [Like the Head-Hunter" that were static at lv10 -13 and now, they scaled down to lv5 because I was lv8 at the time of looting the chests, lol... its pretty bad. Now, I wear only griffin-gear because crafted items are the only reliable STATIC items at my lv.

This is not a good thing... I hope patch 1.07 includes some sort of loot suprise improvement... I love this game to death, but secretly, i hate the way they chose to balance gear; its the same bad mistakes every other game is making... why man, why!

---------- Updated at 05:16 PM ----------

The only reason I'm partially able to (mostly) ignore how bad the random, level scaled equipment is in this game is the fact that at least Witcher Gear is in the game... And that is unique, valuable, non-scaled gear

And let's be frank about it: once you get the gist of how things go in this game, you know that the Witcher Gear is pretty much the only one you should consider... And everything else is vendor trash.
Even when a major character serves you that item implying it's the most amazing shit since man discovered metallurgy.

Tuco, this is an issue tho...

This means i don't pay attention to everything else in the game, not because of my CHOICE, but because in the vast-game this is, they force the player into this awful design... Let it be my choice that I only seek wticher-gear/upgrades. Otherwise, what was the point of all of those recipes?!?!

Secondly, Witcher gear is not all that sexy sadly... =( it really pisses me off. that we are so-limited.

Especially since gear is awfully hard to come-by at early lv's on Death-March difficulty. Viper-gear [for swords] and then you wait for griffin-swords and from then on... witcher gear only. [With exception to DLC Nilfgaardian lv10 gear which is overpriced @ Crow's Perch in my opinion.]

Last edited:
There is a similar problem even in the quest at Crow's Perch. You go in Skellige, take the tools, bring them back, help the girl to became an armorer, and instead of take as reward the light and resistent armor you asked...you get a...Witch Hunter's Armor. Really?

Last edited:
There is a similar problem even in the quest at crown's peach. <snip>

Agreed. I did that last night at level 20 and got that armour which I cannot even use yet*. On my previous playthroughs I could use it, but already had better armour.

And yeah... Witch Hunter's armour... Hmm.

* I wouldn't mind that at all, if I thought that by the time I could use it, I would not yet again have better armour already

Tuco

Forum veteran
Tuco, this is an issue tho...

This means i don't pay attention to everything else in the game, not because of my CHOICE, but because in the vast-game this is, they force the player into this awful design... Let it be my choice that I only seek wticher-gear/upgrades. Otherwise, what was the point of all of those recipes?!?

Secondly, Witcher gear is not all that sexy sadly... =( it really pisses me off. that we are so-limited.

Especially since gear is awfully hard to come-by at early lv's on Death-March difficulty. Viper-gear [for swords] and then you wait for griffin-swords and from then on... witcher gear only. [With exception to DLC Nilfgaardian lv10 gear which is overpriced @ Crow's Perch in my opinion.]
Well, of course it is an issue, I was exactly pointing that. But different people may disagree on *why* it is an issue.

I, for one, don't care if the amount of useful items in a game are relatively low in numbers. I'm more annoyed about all the useless trash existing in the first place.
I loved itemization in Gothic/Risen, for instance, and that relied entirely in handling to you a decent upgrade just every few hours. Which is perfect for me. I don't want to play dress-up and I'm not really into loot whoring in general. I enjoy having my upgrades sparse but relevant.

And I absolutely disagree about the Witcher Gear not being too sexy, by way. On one end I thought that there were some better designs in TW2, but considered just on its own the average style of each relevant armor in TW3 still rises so much above the standards of this genre it's not even funny.

Things like the ursine set, the Feline set up to its third rank, the Wolven Armor and a couple of other armors (Freya's cloth, Temerian, Nilfgaardian, Skellige Armor, etc) look extremely cool and well fitting for the character.
The only witcher set I genuinely don't like it's the Griffin one.

---------- Updated at 06:20 PM ----------

There is a similar problem even in the quest at Crow's Perch. You go in Skellige, take the tools, bring them back, help the girl to became an armorer, and instead of take as reward the light and resistent armor you asked...you get a...Witch Hunter's Armor. Really?
Yeah, I found that reward completely out place in terms of style, way before even starting to care about its stats.
It was almost a mockery.

You know what? This really reminds me of KotOR 2 - that game was released unfinished and loot was just randomised, and scaled up to character level, so by the end of a game some random enemies (like animals) could drop unique lightsabers or Jedi robes for example, multiple times. In W3 at least monsters don't drop weapons and armour, but it's pretty much the same issue here. To me it's clear that, despite W3 was pushed back two times, it is released to early and unfinished.
I said it before somewhere else - I really think this whole leveling in W3 is unnecessary, I would love to have like 30 or 40 skill points at the very begining of the game, create my build from the start and then just play as that character, without any level ups. That would of course require to redesign all the stats for gear, and also enemies.
In modders we trust.

Honestly, I think the quest for master blacksmith, weaponsmith, and the other time someone hands you a prized sword, in these quests ONLY, I think the game should look at your current items and make sure these are at least one level higher.

I'm just impressed you killed those dwarfs at level 13. Good on you. But don't fret that sword you get from that quest was already outclassed by the time I had done it at level 24.

Thing is that even if you do the Hatori quest and Johana's quest when your level 30, the items they give you are bassicly crap compared to any witcher gear diagrams.
What they should do is make this 2 "mastercrafter" items that you can only get by compleating 2 different but long quests exceptional, cause in their current state tey are not.

First of all: I do love this Game and I'm playing it since it's Release (actually a day before it, since GameStop decided to break the official Release-Date I guess) and I'm going to do at least 2 additional Playthroughs and you can consider me a Fanboy (since TW1) but not a Fanboy being into fanatism (you see them alot in DA:I Forums etc.)
Without reading anything else but the first Posting I can say that it's indeed a bit disappointing and unmotivating.
They did put many ?-Markers on the Map, most of them being Hidden-Treasures, Smuggler Stashes, Spoils of War or Guarded Treasures.
And even though The Witcher 3 isn't mainly about Loot or not is >totally irrelevant<, since they (CDPR) themselves obviously decided to focus most of the Points of >>Interest<< on exactly this >Loot<.
Smuggler Stashes and Spoils of War are fine the way they are, just some additional Loot to make some good Money or to enhance your Equip.
Guarded Treasures on the other Hand are GUARDED for a reason, indicating the Treasure must be something unique or very valuable, why should anyone Guard worthless random Stuff (Well, Ekkima or Katakan love Shiny Stuff and who knows what some of the others prefer, but let's be real here that's not what the Title suggests you to think).
So, I've defeated a Golem 8 Levels above me and it took me a few Minutes to finally kill it. Beating a High Level Monster is, in fact, a great rewarding Feeling, BUT I initially went there for the Treasure so I was kind of disappointed when I only got some random low level Stuff (can't remember the loot - it's always similar/the same).
Now I've discovered every ?-Marker in Velen and it's been the same each time.
Diagrams and Recipes were Random Loot from Chests or Bags <- I'm not talking about them, that's actually pretty good Stuff.
Hope they'll Change it in the (most likely upcoming) Enhanced Edition making some of the Loot more meaningful and rewarding, motivating me to explore ?-Marker again. :)
It's no Dealbreaker, though. lol
I won't discuss with you or anything like that, I've only wanted to share my thoughts on this Subject for a long Time now, but I didn't want to start a new Thread only because of that.

Greetings and have fun playing TW3 :3

Edit: Lol forgot the most important thing: The Master Blacksmith and Master Weaponsmith Quest. Same goes for them, though.
I'd expected a Mastercrafted Witcher Armor as Geralt described it (Light, Flexible and easy to put on) instead I got a WitchHUNTER Armor that's shabby-looking ( take a close look and you'll see what I mean). The Weapon wasn't a Witcher-Swoord, too. It wasn't what you'd expect from a Master Weaponsmith.
Finally,
the Blade you'll get from Crach an Craite is a Joke Stat-wise had to sell it. It looks great, though, but it's no friggin' Legendary-Level-Sword
Aside from that and most of the known issues, I've got no real complains. :cheers:

Last edited:
Could leveling have been removed completely? The talent trees could be a way to advance your character. Monster levels, could these be not watered down by a simple colour guide say, green = easy, amber = 50/50, Red = gonna have to save and reload but possible. Loot tables for weapons etc tie in with talents chosen. I guess what I am getting at is that whatever form of algorithm is used for the leveling, loot and monster system, keep it in the code and not in the gameplay. Playing to numbers is half the complication imo.

Thing is that even if you do the Hatori quest and Johana's quest when your level 30, the items they give you are bassicly crap compared to any witcher gear diagrams.
What they should do is make this 2 "mastercrafter" items that you can only get by compleating 2 different but long quests exceptional, cause in their current state tey are not.

Yep.
What is necessary in those quest is a mastercafted reward...a unique item in the game you can only unlock with those quest.
Because the reward in Johana quest was expecially...underwhelming. I mean...a Witch Hunter's armor?

---------- Updated at 01:16 PM ----------

the Blade you'll get from Crach an Craite is a Joke Stat-wise had to sell it. It looks great, though, but it's no friggin' Legendary-Level-Sword

Oh, really, I forgot that.
Yeah, that was another joke. asd

I finally beated Therazane (level 25 quest) when I was at level 18, and I got from its body an amzaing level 14 steel sword.

Top Bottom