Leveling Prestige by forfeiting in round 3. Exploit or Legit strategy ?

+
I just wanted to ask whether it is considered an exploit if you play a few tempo cards at the begining of round 1, forcing the opponent to pass early. And then forfeit/pass at the begining of round 3, after allowing the opponent to play some of his cards too.

People play some weird decks, with different objectives in Casual. Such as neutral cards, specials, etc.
Mine objective is to level prestige, without spoiling the game for everyone else. And besides, since faction challenge is out, people get free wins with their respective faction, where I help them complete their objectives faster, such that everyone benefits.

Edit:
Considering that this strategy yields 1000 xp per hour, can it be treated as an exploit ?

Last edited:
why should forteiting be an exploit? it might be considered wintrading but the other person isnt involved obviously. I suggest not doing it on proladder or ranked in general and it should be fine.

Yes, abusing the forfeit system has led to some accounts being suspended. However, it was never made clear how far you'll have to push it before it's seen as misconduct. If you're doing it occasionally, it's fine, I guess.

rrc

Forum veteran
I just wanted to ask whether it is considered an exploit if you play a few tempo cards at the begining of round 1, forcing the opponent to pass early. And then forfeit/pass at the begining of round 3, after allowing the opponent to play some of his cards too.

People play some weird decks, with different objectives in Casual. Such as neutral cards, specials, etc.
Mine objective is to level prestige, without spoiling the game for everyone else. And besides, since faction challenge is out, people get free wins with their respective faction, where I help them complete their objectives faster, such that everyone benefits.

Considering that this strategy yields 1200-1600 xp per hour, can it be treated as an exploit ?
One word answer: Exploit.

I remember that one such player had got permanent ban (that is banned for life and that account and the progress and cosmetics thrown into abyss) for doing exactly this (but I think he over did it and reached Prestige 10 when there was only handful or Prestige 10s in the entire game). There was a huge thread in reddit where he shared the email exchanges and how he sincerely apologised for doing that and repeatedly requesting CDPR that the ban to be for a period of time (suspend not banned), but nothing worked. CDPR said, NO.

Unless you want to gamble and take the risk (where you make it less obvious and hard to detect), I would strongly advice against it. Because if you get more prestige by farming experience without actually properly playing the game, it has a permanent long lasting economical advantage, not just for you, but also for the opponent (increased GG, possible RP for GG). And CDPR wouldn't go easy for such exploit (I would say rightfully so).

But forfeiting every now and then due to bad match up or for some other reasons shouldn't be an issue. As long as it is genuine, rare and sporadic and doesn't fall under CDPR's radar. I am 100% sure that CDPR wont just slap a Permanent Ban without solid proof and I am almost sure that they will know if someone progresses in prestige too fast making them to be put under radar.

One word answer: Exploit.

I remember that one such player had got permanent ban (that is banned for life and that account and the progress and cosmetics thrown into abyss) for doing exactly this (but I think he over did it and reached Prestige 10 when there was only handful or Prestige 10s in the entire game).

https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/beyo5e
Is it this thread you had in mind ?

Also CDPR explicitly states 'Deliberately forfeiting the game at the very beginning in order to gain experience is considered exploiting.

In this specific case what happens is that I take the game to round 3, and allow the opponent to play some of his cards, and finish his objective as well.

And just on the side note, what happens once in a while, maybe 5% of the matches, is that the opponent actually misplays and forefeits. This way I actually provide some degree of challenge to see if people actually pass the 'skill check' and outtempo me.

Last edited:

Also CDPR explicitly states 'Deliberately forfeiting the game at the very beginning in order to gain experience is considered exploiting.

In this specific case what happens is that I take the game to round 3, and allow the opponent to play some of his cards, and finish his objective as well.
Why not pass in R3? You got more XP...

That is exactly what i'm doing.
With slight adjustment, where I play 10-13 cards during the match, after the opponent has passed. This method yields 3xp per card, or 3xp every 3 second.

I think it is absolutely legit. You have the right to pass whenever you want. This is not an exploit IMO.

rrc

Forum veteran
I think it is absolutely legit. You have the right to pass whenever you want. This is not an exploit IMO.
I wouldn’t be too sure able it.. in my view, it is an exploit. You are farming experience without actually playing to get better Prestige which gives permanent economy bonuses, which should be earned..

And just on the side note, what happens once in a while, maybe 5% of the matches, is that the opponent actually misplays and forefeits. This way I actually provide some degree of challenge to see if people actually pass the 'skill check' and outtempo me.
While you see the “very beginning” as the main point, I see the “people are looking for challenge and forfeiting without any intention of playing is not considered healthy.. exploiting...” as the main point.

You can say that “I had the intention to play” and only CDPR can be the judge of that. IMO it looks likes an exploit and in @bojerbela’s opinion it doesn’t. All of these doesn’t matter. Would you be OK if your account gets permanently banned?

I would like to tag @ThorSerpent and @RyanSchou and get their opinion about it, as only CDPR are the right people to correctly say what constitutes exploiting and what could get a permanent ban or suspension or is it ok to farm experience like this.

I wouldn’t be too sure able it.. in my view, it is an exploit. You are farming experience without actually playing to get better Prestige which gives permanent economy bonuses, which should be earned..

Maybe you're right...I don't know. What I know: I often pass in R3 when I see, I'm losing/when the "real life calls"/when I don't want to play I matchup (for example against NG), but I want a "one round win", etc. These are not for more xp/Prestige...

There appears to be more gray area here than I would expect. I often play in casual, and sometimes I just don’t need a win (as when completing a quest involving playing cards or matches). Because my opponent may need a win, I might pass or forfeit a game I expect to win. Is this an exploit — I am not looking to gain anything? Also, I sometimes play deliberately inferior decks — not just to fill quests, but to get better familiarity with certain cards, or just to play outside my comfort zone. Is it an exploit to fail to be competitive?

There appears to be more gray area here than I would expect. I often play in casual, and sometimes I just don’t need a win (as when completing a quest involving playing cards or matches). Because my opponent may need a win, I might pass or forfeit a game I expect to win. Is this an exploit — I am not looking to gain anything? Also, I sometimes play deliberately inferior decks — not just to fill quests, but to get better familiarity with certain cards, or just to play outside my comfort zone. Is it an exploit to fail to be competitive?

Relax, you're very far away from the gray area. Those that have been suspended were the ones that constantly did the same thing. When you give a win to someone else or just want to end a match quickly, CDPR is not going to reprimand you.

R3 forfeit is absolutely NOT the same thing as insta-forfeit on R1. The latter (when spammed) is considered an exploit, as it should, but imo the former should not be. No idea whether it is, but I don't think it'd be fair to call it an exploit because the existence of a R3 means you've put in enough effort to win one round.

Would I do this myself? No, because it's farming. Exp/level/Prestige is not even a major motivation for me.
Do I think it's wrong or that it should be punished? No.

R3 forfeit is absolutely NOT the same thing as insta-forfeit on R1. The latter (when spammed) is considered an exploit, as it should, but imo the former should not be. No idea whether it is, but I don't think it'd be fair to call it an exploit because the existence of a R3 means you've put in enough effort to win one round.

Would I do this myself? No, because it's farming. Exp/level/Prestige is not even a major motivation for me.
Do I think it's wrong or that it should be punished? No.

The dilemma here is that by playing just 3 cards you 'force' a rational opponent out of the round, and then forefeit in round 3. (Unless you allow the opponent to play some of his cards as well)
The end result is basically that you forefeit when the opponent essentially has 9-10 cards left to play. However, it was his choice to pass that lead to the outcome.
You also have the option to play 10-13 of your own cards, when the opponent has passed, as each card yields 3xp.

Last edited:
After testing it more thoroughly by building a deck (MO of course) that almost guarantees to out-tempo any plays by the opponent, with just 3 cards. Almost 95% of the players I faced during 50+ matches, basically either gave me the round control or auto-passed during round 2, such that they had 10 cards in their hand during round 3. (While I played 10-13 cards out during previous rounds).

But this also feels wrong to call an exploit, as the actions I take are not possible without the consent of the opponent.
If he gives me the round then I can do whatever I like with the cards I have. If his objective is to go for the win and mine objective is to play cards, which also is a legitimate reason in a card game. Then who is it to say that his objective is just, while mine is not, especially in Casual mode, a non-competitive version of the card game.

Then who is it to say that his objective is just, while mine is not, especially in Casual mode, a non-competitive version of the card game.

You're over-complicating things. More importantly, this whole discussion is moot. CDPR isn't going to punish players when they insta-forfeit against a certain faction or when they have a bad day and throw every match. You've seen the example of the one that got banned and how far (s)he pushed it. Don't try to analyze everything on a case by case basis. Just play the game and don't go on an insta-forfeit spree and you'll be fine.

You're over-complicating things. More importantly, this whole discussion is moot. CDPR isn't going to punish players when they insta-forfeit against a certain faction or when they have a bad day and throw every match. You've seen the example of the one that got banned and how far (s)he pushed it. Don't try to analyze everything on a case by case basis. Just play the game and don't go on an insta-forfeit spree and you'll be fine.

Overcomplicating things yields to a nuanced debate and exchange of views. With many inputs, and hopefully interest from the broad community regarding the issue of experience farm, as a legitimate reason to play this game, we could get clarification from CDPR of what is a 'healthy' form of gameplay.

More importantly, a simple question such as: Whether it is considered an exploit if you forfeit after winning a single round, and you do it deliberately 10000 times ?. Can set a standard for what is acceptable form of game play, and what is not.

The problem with prestige farming is that it is easily programmable for a bot, so any scenario where the behavior can be seen will possibly be punished. Imagine that if you do it manually you get 1k of xp per hour, a bot can get 24k a day.
A "Botable" behavior adds more factors, such as the sale of accounts with high prestige which eliminates the entire process where a real user plays real games to get there.

Either r1 or r3, that game was totally false and with no intention of competition .

As users we can say that it does not bother us (the truth is I go to casual waiting for someone committing suicide with a mission so I win faster) but I doubt that the company will allow it if they can avoid it.

The other thing I think is if it really is worth the time invested. isn't it easier to work and use the money for the same number of hours to buy things? Because it is sure that even the ugliest work pays more than farming exp in the game. If it's because of the golden edge, I don't know, getting to it by losing must be quite sad even if no one knows.

It is not something new, in HS some people do it to get an additional 100 gold a day, the bot plays like a chimpance but plays so many times that every so often it wins. Basically it does a "good" to the community by losing 19 out of 20 games, even so they are banned if Blizz finds them doing it.
It doesn't matter that you do it "manual" at the end since there is no difference with something programmed for a different purpose than the one the game proposes (win))

I would recommend that you do not risk the account for something so insignificant. :beer:

Top Bottom