Leveling Prestige by forfeiting in round 3. Exploit or Legit strategy ?

+
The problem with prestige farming is that it is easily programmable for a bot, so any scenario where the behavior can be seen will possibly be punished. Imagine that if you do it manually you get 1k of xp per hour, a bot can get 24k a day.
A "Botable" behavior adds more factors, such as the sale of accounts with high prestige which eliminates the entire process where a real user plays real games to get there.

Either r1 or r3, that game was totally false and with no intention of competition .

As users we can say that it does not bother us (the truth is I go to casual waiting for someone committing suicide with a mission so I win faster) but I doubt that the company will allow it if they can avoid it.

The other thing I think is if it really is worth the time invested. isn't it easier to work and use the money for the same number of hours to buy things? Because it is sure that even the ugliest work pays more than farming exp in the game. If it's because of the golden edge, I don't know, getting to it by losing must be quite sad even if no one knows.

It is not something new, in HS some people do it to get an additional 100 gold a day, the bot plays like a chimpance but plays so many times that every so often it wins. Basically it does a "good" to the community by losing 19 out of 20 games, even so they are banned if Blizz finds them doing it.
It doesn't matter that you do it "manual" at the end since there is no difference with something programmed for a different purpose than the one the game proposes (win))

I would recommend that you do not risk the account for something so insignificant. :beer:
No good bot would run 24x7. Thats a huge red flag for cdpr.

Honestly, if I were this unsure about something's legitimacy I would simply stop doing it. Better safe than sorry, and with a game ban being pretty much the only potential punishment, having an account that's high-level and therefore more valuable would only hurt more.

I also doubt CDPR are going to comment on the scenario based on a single, small forum thread.

Your time is worth more than the rewards of any videogame. Play if you enjoy playing the game.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc

rrc

Forum veteran
After testing it more thoroughly by building a deck (MO of course) that almost guarantees to out-tempo any plays by the opponent, with just 3 cards. Almost 95% of the players I faced during 50+ matches, basically either gave me the round control or auto-passed during round 2, such that they had 10 cards in their hand during round 3. (While I played 10-13 cards out during previous rounds).

But this also feels wrong to call an exploit, as the actions I take are not possible without the consent of the opponent.
If he gives me the round then I can do whatever I like with the cards I have. If his objective is to go for the win and mine objective is to play cards, which also is a legitimate reason in a card game. Then who is it to say that his objective is just, while mine is not, especially in Casual mode, a non-competitive version of the card game.
Honestly this doesn't make sense to me. What you are trying to achieve here? You are saying that you are playing around 10-13 cards (where as in the actual full game you are going to play max 16 cards). You do realize that winning gives 50 xp, right? If you play 3 to 6 cards more you are going to get +50 exp. So, calling this mode of playing for farming doesn't make sense.
So, you are basically saying you play 3 to 4 cards in R1, win R1 and in the r2-dry-pass from opponent, you keep playing all your cards quickly and in R3 you drypass where opponent has 10 cards and you have 3 cards?
More importantly, a simple question such as: Whether it is considered an exploit if you forfeit after winning a single round, and you do it deliberately 10000 times ?. Can set a standard for what is acceptable form of game play, and what is not.
And you are saying you are kind of doing (or planning to do) ten thousand times? I want to quote a small incident which happened in my professional career. Due to company formalities, a lawyer from HQ who was in a very high position was sent to our office to explain about code of conduct (I am a software professional). He started by saying something like "You are all professionals. You are all smart and you know what is right and what is wrong. If you are not sure if something is right, it is probably wrong. So, I know I don't have to give you the lecture, but this is just for formalities" and then he went on to explain the code of conduct and what all things would get your fired. That was some 10 years ago and I still remember this because it was funny as well as true.
Honestly, if I were this unsure about something's legitimacy I would simply stop doing it. Better safe than sorry, and with a game ban being pretty much the only potential punishment, having an account that's high-level and therefore more valuable would only hurt more.

I also doubt CDPR are going to comment on the scenario based on a single, small forum thread.
Yes! exactly.

Honestly this doesn't make sense to me. What you are trying to achieve here? You are saying that you are playing around 10-13 cards (where as in the actual full game you are going to play max 16 cards). You do realize that winning gives 50 xp, right? If you play 3 to 6 cards more you are going to get +50 exp. So, calling this mode of playing for farming doesn't make sense.
So, you are basically saying you play 3 to 4 cards in R1, win R1 and in the r2-dry-pass from opponent, you keep playing all your cards quickly and in R3 you drypass where opponent has 10 cards and you have 3 cards?

It makes plenty of sense as I dont have to wait for the opponent to play his 10 cards. You save time, thats why it is so efficient.

And you are saying you are kind of doing (or planning to do) ten thousand times? I want to quote a small incident which happened in my professional career. Due to company formalities, a lawyer from HQ who was in a very high position was sent to our office to explain about code of conduct (I am a software professional). He started by saying something like "You are all professionals. You are all smart and you know what is right and what is wrong. If you are not sure if something is right, it is probably wrong. So, I know I don't have to give you the lecture, but this is just for formalities" and then he went on to explain the code of conduct and what all things would get your fired. That was some 10 years ago and I still remember this because it was funny as well as true.

To me it seems as an reasonable ideal to aim for winning a single round. It is healthy, as with this objective in mind, you are less salty when you lose. You are basically playing casually in Casual game mode. And if it is the way you like to play, without any ambitions whatsoever, then I honestly dont see any issue why it is against the rules.

The tricky part is in form of abuse. Hence the described strategy of forcing the opponent out of the round. And the part mentioned in previous ban of 'no intention to play' where you spam all your cards after the opponent has passed. But this would not be possible without opponents consent to give you the round, so that you could argue that the opponent didnt have interest in playing himself.

Last edited:
One word answer: Exploit.

I remember that one such player had got permanent ban (that is banned for life and that account and the progress and cosmetics thrown into abyss) for doing exactly this (but I think he over did it and reached Prestige 10 when there was only handful or Prestige 10s in the entire game). There was a huge thread in reddit where he shared the email exchanges and how he sincerely apologised for doing that and repeatedly requesting CDPR that the ban to be for a period of time (suspend not banned), but nothing worked. CDPR said, NO.

Unless you want to gamble and take the risk (where you make it less obvious and hard to detect), I would strongly advice against it. Because if you get more prestige by farming experience without actually properly playing the game, it has a permanent long lasting economical advantage, not just for you, but also for the opponent (increased GG, possible RP for GG). And CDPR wouldn't go easy for such exploit (I would say rightfully so).

But forfeiting every now and then due to bad match up or for some other reasons shouldn't be an issue. As long as it is genuine, rare and sporadic and doesn't fall under CDPR's radar. I am 100% sure that CDPR wont just slap a Permanent Ban without solid proof and I am almost sure that they will know if someone progresses in prestige too fast making them to be put under radar.

Imo that wasn't a smart decision on their part, CDPR's part.
Should have just been an account rollback and suspension - because now there's potentially real money that was spent and a ban which happened because of a bug in the game. NAL but I have experience with contractual law and I doubt any provisions CDPR put in their ToS are enforceable on that level.

Plus it's just bad PR. I mean if Bethesda lets hackers get their account back by writing an essay on why hacking a multiplayer game is harmful, then doing something that the devs missed but is well within the confines of the game should probably be a "Oh, you weren't supposed to do that but it's technically it's OUR fault so we're going to roll back your account to when you hadn't found this bug and patch it out asap!"

It's like Blizzard banning people for getting to the developer island. Well, maybe if you had better QA, people wouldn't find their way to the dev island, using only the game itself?

OK. Good luck with that and keep us updated with how it goes.
Imo that wasn't a smart decision on their part, CDPR's part.
Should have just been an account rollback and suspension - because now there's potentially real money that was spent and a ban which happened because of a bug in the game. NAL but I have experience with contractual law and I doubt any provisions CDPR put in their ToS are enforceable on that level.

Plus it's just bad PR. I mean if Bethesda lets hackers get their account back by writing an essay on why hacking a multiplayer game is harmful, then doing something that the devs missed but is well within the confines of the game should probably be a "Oh, you weren't supposed to do that but it's technically it's OUR fault so we're going to roll back your account to when you hadn't found this bug and patch it out asap!"

It's like Blizzard banning people for getting to the developer island. Well, maybe if you had better QA, people wouldn't find their way to the dev island, using only the game itself?

I get 12 years for murder in my country, but I be damned if I break any ToS, it's a lifetime sentence.
Either way, this thread never meant to encourage any exploit, but rather to debate what type of gameplay is acceptable and doesen't spoil the experience of other players. And as it is, I dont know what is worse, to play double ball, or play a single round of gwent before I pass. For lets be honest, nobody got time to play 3 rounds when it takes 1 minute for the opponent to play a card.

I look forward to the upcoming season of the dragon seasonal mode, where the game will be more enjoyable, and more rewarding for those that prefer to grind xp.

Top Bottom