Levelling

+
Levelling

I see a lot of people complaining about being over leveled when getting back to the main story. I am typically not in favor for scaling content. I feel like it breaks the immersion of the game when you see a level 70 rat. However, for those who are complaining I could see one fix would be to up-scale the content to the users level whereas the rest of the content stays the same.

Last edited:
Or main quests and some important side quests. I'd prefer all quests/monsters scaled and just have an option for those who don't want upscaling (the set levels are already in the game, so adding the option shouldn't be too difficult) though.

Most open world RPGs scale difficulty. Even in Skyrim with its 10,000 available mods, only a handful can properly de-level the world, and they are major overhauls. So I think TW3 is unique in this aspect and I am more than willing to work my way around it. Hell, i dont even mind if I am OP for certain main quests, I am a master witcher after all, I just lost my memory on certain things.

if they never intended content to scale, then its a huge change not not something that "shouldn't be too difficult" which i guess is the case, cause they stated they wanted this kind of dangerous high-level stuff all over the world ...
this is just how power-gain works and feels like ... games have been to scaled for quite some time now :D

Too late in the code to add level scaling as it will take a major rewrite. If you don't like it go play Skyrim so you can finish the main quest end game by level 5.

Yeah I have no problem with the scaling. If I am OP for portion of game then I am OP. I am a completionist so I dont care if I have to go looking at a lvl 3 cave when im level 20.

I wouldn't mind it scaling up. as in, there's a minimum level required, such as it is now, say 16 for Skellige content, but after you ding 20 or so, it goes up with you. I realize it's not something that would be easily implemented but maybe with time or with some intricate mod?
Having said that, I don't really mind, as some fights get gnarly even if I outlevel them by a few (playing on the Death March now, after having started on Broken Bones).

Too late in the code to add level scaling as it will take a major rewrite. If you don't like it go play Skyrim so you can finish the main quest end game by level 5.
The OP didn't suggest anything like that. Scaling up weaker enemies wouldn't help you finish the game by level 5. It'd make the lower level quests you come across later on in game a challenge instead of a bore..

Scaling enemies is a bad idea. Downscaling xp rewards for content you're higher level than is acceptable.

Yes implementing scaling up would likely be a lot of work BUT just changing amount of EXP needed per level is likely pretty easy. I think the first 5 levels were fine and then I would bump up the amount of exp needed per level. At least on Death March difficulty since its clearly for people that crave a challenge.

In my opinion:
Reduce the xp reward for a main quest and side quest linked to the main one!!!
Only with the "hunting a witch" main quest I hit 3 level...with the Bloody Baron other 3 level. I cant explore your big world because I've fear to overlevel the main quest.
Sorry but it's ridicolous.

For now:
Level 1-10 you need 1000 xp to gain a level

In my opinion is better like this:
level 1-5 need 1000
level 5-10 need 1500 or 2000

Last edited:
Never felt this overleveling issue :( Somehow I got all notice boards and most of the quests finished and yet I followed the level requirements for main quests and finished the game on 35 level,actually felt like some exp. bug (got around 6 experience points for 3 side quests)

Maybe people just need to play on death march. At level 11, I did a level 6 quest last night and still died a couple of times.

Lots of us (including me) ARE playing on death march but are outleveling the requirements for main quest line... and slaughtering the opposition. The challenge of combat has died down a LOT for me =( Oh and I'm still wearing Temerian armor @ level 17 because of vanity... I would hope death march would punish me for that but it really doesn't.

Lots of us (including me) ARE playing on death march but are outleveling the requirements for main quest line... and slaughtering the opposition. The challenge of combat has died down a LOT for me =(

same for me, all the last portion of the main quest was way too easy for me even on death march :(

Maybe people just need to play on death march. At level 11, I did a level 6 quest last night and still died a couple of times.
Its not an issue at that level. Im on death march myself currently level 20 and if I meet a gang of level 15 bandits I will rek them...

Yeah I have no problem with the scaling. If I am OP for portion of game then I am OP. I am a completionist so I dont care if I have to go looking at a lvl 3 cave when im level 20.

Same here. I even did that back when I played mmo's. Hard to play those now as a single parent lol.

I had the scaling issue, what I do now is going after story missions after 2 levels top, meaning for example if the story mission is lvl 12 I will at worst do it at lvl 14. this kinda solves my problem for now, but ofc later on it will be a bigger issue. tbh I play on death march and I too sometimes am leveled up too much and still dont find the game EASY, if you're not careful even a couple of lvl 9 drowners can still kill you at lvl 14 :O

The problem isn't so much over scaling or scaling up with the player, the main problem is the trravel to skell is suggested at 16, yet the missions when you get there are a lot lower.

The actual levels are completely out of whack :/

I hate scaled enemies, and I don't see the problem with the way it works now. You can see what the best level range is for any given quest on your list, so if you want it to be challenging, don't hold off on them until you're over-leveled. I think between that and the fact that you get diminishing XP yields depending on your level, they very elegantly avoided the simple, stupid fix of scaling. No reason to break that now.

Top Bottom