Life Path and Major Story choices. (Spoilers)

+
To make the life paths impactful, certain story outcomes could only be available to certain life paths. What are your thoughts? Would you be upset that all outcomes were not available on your first playthrough, or would it be a more meaningful experience?

There are examples throughout the game but the two that stand out for me is the future of Clouds and the Aldecaldo assault on Militech.

When talking with Maiko and the Tyger Claws, you have to select certain dialogue (often by chance) or the conversation turns to violence. It makes sense that a Corpo would be able navigate the conversation and place Maiko as management as it's the only life path that would have been exposed to high stakes negotiations before, making your time at Arasaka feel like it paid off. A Nomad or Street Kid would fumble on their words and have to rely on their guns and fists... again.

Similarly, the Aldecaldo's talk about family and the good of the clan above all else, yet are all too willing to throw their lives away for some Gangoon or Corpo Rat who rolled into their camp about a week ago. By doing you a favour early on, they lose Scorpion to Kang Tao and later, the suggestion is to attack Militech AND Arasaka risking everyone in the clan all to potentially save your life? It could make this bond, and experience more meaningful if the assault and night before is only available to a fellow Nomad while the other life paths should be happy with an invitation to run away with them if you survive.

Guest 3847602

No, that wouldn't upset me, on the contrary. (y)
But I understand why they decided to make it this way. I don't think average player would have patience or appreciation for system that locks you out of preferred outcome for the vast majority of quests.

That wouldn't bother me. Some additional life path additions along the way could be if they added life path dependent housing. Padre could would have a couple missions that would lead to an apartment in Watson that's bigger with a garage and a larger weapon storage area. Saul would have a garage style apartment for nomad V out in the badlands. Corpo V would have an old friend from Arasaka who was in trouble and let them have their manor out in the rich area. Also if they add in vehicle stores there could be one in Watson, Downtown, and the badlands where you could buy different vehicles and each life path would have a different discount at the different stores.

When talking with Maiko and the Tyger Claws, you have to select certain dialogue (often by chance) or the conversation turns to violence. It makes sense that a Corpo would be able navigate the conversation and place Maiko as management as it's the only life path that would have been exposed to high stakes negotiations before, making your time at Arasaka feel like it paid off. A Nomad or Street Kid would fumble on their words and have to rely on their guns and fists... again.

Lifepath are meaningless, in this state they should just remove them

I agree with you and I did feel like it was a missed opportunity. That would introduce a whole new dimension to the story and especially to life paths.

Corpo - Get MiliTech or another Corpo's help in the final assault.
Nomad - Get the Aldercado's help.
Street Kid - Get a gang's help (The Mox and VBD are fairly good candidates based on the storyline).

It feels like cut content to be honest. The interaction with other Corpo's aside from Arasaka is close to nill as it stands. If you know your way around Corpo life why not befriend MiliTech who has openly opposed Arasaka in the past. Or Kang Tao which are more than happy to steal Arasaka's scientist and research. Having the "desert rats" who detest Corpos help you out feels off.

Would work for me and make it way more interesting to replay the game with a different lifepath.

I'm ok with the current lifepaths just opening different dialogue options though, didn't really expect a bigger impact outside of the prologue.

Top Bottom