Lifepaths are meaningless. There is no replayability.

+
Very much a linear shooter (with GTA elements), in an Open World setting, and roleplaying seems to have been dropped along the way. Even with all bugs fixed I'm afraid this is difficult to change after the fact - a fundamental design issue which requires going back to the drawing board.

Guest 4211861

I noticed something was off when Takemura calls me a thief, although I chose the corpo path.

So they copied street kid dialogue to the other life paths.

I would expect this from Bethesda, not CDPR, although the two look the same now.

It's not feasible since the beginning. No studio can make a really long engaged main questlines with so many different back stories like that. Especially expect it have unique multiple variations for the entire main quests. In the end, at some point, they have to merge all of those branches into a single path. Otherwise, they must be scientists from Alpha Centauri.

I have seen may studios claimed the same thing and I have seen none could truly achieve that. So next time any studio, even Sony or Rockstar, promises something like this just take it with a grain of salt. If they could do as they promise, good. If not you won't be disappointed.

I noticed something was off when Takemura calls me a thief, although I chose the corpo path.

So they copied street kid dialogue to the other life paths.

I would expect this from Bethesda, not CDPR, although the two look the same now.
Don't know what part you're specifically referring to (is it the convo on the roof of the building?), and I haven't played the corpo lifepath, but is it possible Take's calling you a thief cos you stole the chip? That true for all paths, isn't it?

It's not feasible since the beginning. No studio can make a really long engaged main questlines with so many different back stories like that. Especially expect it have unique multiple variations for the entire main quests. In the end, at some point, they have to merge all of those branches into a single path. Otherwise, they must be scientists from Alpha Centauri.

I have seen may studios claimed the same thing and I have seen none could truly achieve that. So next time any studio, even Sony or Rockstar, promises something like this just take it with a grain of salt. If they could do as they promise, good. If not you won't be disappointed.

if thats the case then they should've abandoned that idea of lifepaths or at least not promoting it so much.

Play Dragon Age 1.

Like, sure, the backstories merge after about an hour of play, but the choice is still relevant throughout the entire game. For example if you play a noble human woman, you can marry to a man who's next in line for the throne of Ferelden, becoming queen. And you can ONLY do it as a noble human woman. If you're street trash or a mage, nope. If you're not a human, nope. You do also have to make choices that'll bring you close with the man; If you fail, no queendom for you.

On the other hand you'll have a lot more options in the dwarven or elven sections if you went for those races.

There are so many parts that feel like there was more to it but stuff was abruptly cut off. Jackie's death and that opening montage for example. Something feels so off about that opening montage.

My girlfriend doesn't play games, but when she heard about Cyberpunk 2077 she said that this will be her first foray in the gaming world, when we got to the end of the montage she said that something felt off and that was the part she wanted to do rather than some half-assed montage, sadly she has no interest in playing at all now all down to that one montage taking away a really important element of the game.

to be totally honest I'm scared to play the game, I grew up reading Neuromancer etc, and loved Cyberpunk 2020. I was soooooooo excited but now I don't want to switch it on to just be disappointed and once again be hoping for a true Cyberpunk gaming experience.

Cdpr said the story was like a wheat spike and somehow people thought that meant it would be even more complex than a tree (where you could get ten endings from taking off on a single branch). I dont know if people have ever seen wheat to me it sure as heck sound like you can take some minor detours, miss out on some other stuff but always get back into the main story shortly after.
People simply were expecting a minimum complexity as of the Witcher 3. Hell, even Witcher two had at least 2 completely different playthroughs.
Post automatically merged:

I completed the game on my first character, all missions all ncpd jobs. I just started my second character with a different starting story and different build ( you can respec your perk points but not attributes) since I wanted to try a different style of gameplay. On the second run through I'm able to pick up a lot more of the subtle details that are dropped in early game.

[spoiler warning]

for example when you're riding the elevator to your apartment for the first time there's a tv show playing and they're discussing arasaka relic technology. I didn't know what the relic was until half way through my first play through.

Not to say that you will have this same experience but I'm enjoying the replay.
Problem is, a lot of the subtle foreshadowing, and interesting scripted events in the world only really are present in act 1. In act 2 the game is just generic.

There is some replyability in that there are multiple endings, but beings that each playthrough will be exactly the same, you're better off doing one ending, and youtubing the rest. I'm only doing a second playthrough to prepare for the dlc, since my first playthrough was just learning the game mostly.

I have a feeling that a Deeper lifepath story to invest us in V as a character was scrapped. Which makes sense considering alot are feeling that V is shallow. ( Those that completed tha game no why ). But deeper connection i important in an RPG

Guest 4406876

Another cdpr lie. At this point if you still want that next level, next gen RPG experience then Baldur's Gate 3 is more your speed. It's in early access beta right now but even that alone is 40 hours long. And Larian works WAAAAAAY closer with their fans than cdpr EVER did.
Well they tactically removed RPG so any complain could fall to deaf hears and you could be harassed for free for that.

That being said, I had a chance to play BG3 before early release, and even if it wasn't complete and the levels were basically arenas and it's miles away from any other BG of the past, it wasn't bad, but it was not what it should have been, and I told them, plus I have no idea what's changed till today and how they are improving it. I wouldn't buy it now or at launch either, but I have no idea how the game is gonna play out once out for real, but I'll be there to see (i hope!). Always wait and see, then buy.<- and this comes from a guy that doesn't sell videogames nor has any side interest in using this line to increment sales and then scam you later.

The Witcher 3 did a fairly good job with it though. People were expecting a minimum of variations in choices like in there. Especially since CDPR themselves said that they want nothing less than the W3 quality. It was the only game tey compared Cyberpunk to.

And the thing is, those other companies have no customer trust anymore. People don't believe them because they lied and failed many many times over the last decade. Where CDPR's whole spiel is about consumer friendly trusty rebel gaming company who aren't like all the other corpos. But in the last few years, by their marketing strategies, and now the state of the game, they showed that they are just like any other corpo.

They managed to corner themselves. In order for people to regain trust and the company their reputation, they will need to deliver the game they promised and hyped up. Nothing less.

When 8 million people preorder because of the company's reputation and the hype the -company- generated... no I won't tell the 8 million people that it's on them because they fell for the hype...

The Origins from Dragon Age Origins stayed relevant in the main story, and added unique events, conversations, and even endings. If making lifepaths meaningful in 2008 was possible, it definitely is twelve years later. In Dragon Age Origins, there was also enough variation in dialogue, where the player could give their character different personalities.

@Kikinho

First act v second act world building - I think this speaks to the broader issue with the method of storytelling in CP77 the vast majority of supplemental information is hidden in serendipitous encounters. Whether it's in a chance tv show, radio broadcast, or obscure data shard. I paused side jobs every time i came across a new datashard to read. It was all there but buried. This is what destiny did which was hide everything in journal entries. Sure it was there to piece together and there are some fantastic lore channels that connect the dots but all in all it's lazy.

After playing the game all three ways I believe they should have just axed the three lifepaths and forced people into nomad. It was the one life path that actually started you from nothing and introduced you to the city as a goliath character. Make the game about first getting to the city then making it there.

To your point however the end of the game falls flat on its face - even after consuming every last scrap of content. I wrote about this in another post, if i would have changed anything it would have been to write in more cyberspace content. quickhacks/breaching and even your visits to cyberspace are not well implemented... so much more that could have happened with the story had cyberspace been placed squarely in the center.

I agree that lifepaths are too short and have basically zero impact on the actual story. A short prologue and that's it - you get some neat dialogue options down the road but they don't impact the actual game. A damn shame 'cause we WANT to explore this amazing world more and get more of the story but most of it is just teased and then poof, it's gone.

I think it's impossible to integrate life paths with the main story at this time, but they can certainly be made more impactful, I think.

1) Give us a lifepath-specific passive or even a lifepath specific talent tree
Would actually make this a meaningful gameplay mechanic as opposed to a 20-minute interactable cutscene.

2) Give us a few extra additional interactions in the world based on our lifepath.

Having a corpo V run into a former subordinate out in the world, seeing their reaction, maybe getting some cool dialogue out of it... Or a Street Kid V running into a friend on the Maelstormers mission. String a few of these along the key locations tied in with some main quests so the players don't miss them, hide a few in the world for the completionists.

3) Give us a few lifepath-specific sidequests throughout the game
This one I'm honestly surprised hasn't been implemented yet. It can be a quest chain, it can even be 5 - 6 standalone quests. Like "V, you used to be a corpo, right? This Militech guy is paying big money for some Arasaka intel, find him here", and you could start an entire clusterfuck from there. It's really easy to bake into the story and would be enough of an incentive to get me to start a second playthrough.

Unfortunately, the game is lacking so much content. If there were more meaningful quests in the game, then the devs could break up those missions among the different life paths (and thus incentivizing players to make more characters).

Don't know what part you're specifically referring to (is it the convo on the roof of the building?), and I haven't played the corpo lifepath, but is it possible Take's calling you a thief cos you stole the chip? That true for all paths, isn't it?

This is how I saw it as well, don't think it has anything to do with your lifepath. I mean the heist itself, even if I don't necessarily like where it leads, in the context of the world it is an impressive one. Would take quite a thief to pull it off.

I can't understand why they didn't stick to one lifepath and really flesh it out. I said it on another thread too. This felt like a sequel to a game we don't have (excluding the TTRPGs). Since this is a new game they really needed to nail it, but I'm sad to say it didn't land very well (at least for me). The story and characters would have benefited from a more linear story. At least when it comes to V's background. It would've been good if V was a Nomad so they could've slowed the pace of the game and really introduced everything a lot better.

The games choices are shallow from what I've seen, because they tried to give players too many choices which made the game suffer in the end. I'm really surprised that this is the game we received after 8 long years and an excellent game like TW3. I hope they can flesh out the world more with DLC and expansions. It's not a bad game, but I think I can speak for a lot of ppl when I say I was expecting a lot more from CDPR.

Top Bottom