[Lighting Mod] STLM 2.2

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
@essenthy can you tell is it too soon to predict relese date ? Stlm 2.3 is shaping to be fantastic :) I replay game for third time because of you, thank you for that :D Cd projekt should give you job you achive soo much without proper tools :) Your dedication is fantastic :)

I think the way Toussaint looks right now is perfect ... why they didn't left the colors like in the Cinematic trailer? Well, because in that trailer Toussaint didn't looked like it was described in the books and the second reason is, if you gonna make a new area for a large expansion like B&W is, you want to make that area different and unique in comparison to the other areas..

Velen looks different than Skellige, Skellige looks different than Kaer Morhen, KM looks different than those two areas, Novigrad looks different than all of them, etc.. so naturally Toussaint should look different than all other areas.. CD Projekt RED just followed the descriptions from the books.. and Toussaint in fact is the best designed area in the whole game + pretty much everything in that area is better designed then anything in Velen/Skellige/KM, because the new are doesn't have basically no filler.. and the writing is still miles better than in the majority of modern games.. yeah, the main story sn't as strong as in HoS or the main game, but in my opinion the main story has one of the best scenes in the whole trilogy - the table scene between all the major B&W characters.. similar scene was really missing in the main game between Eredin and Geralt, Ciri or Avallach.. + the side quests were all still very high quality + they nailed the character of Regis - maybe the best transfer of a character from to books to games in the Witcher trilogy

Anyway, you are doing a great work Essenthy with the game and I'm really looking for the new version of the mod..take your time of course with that :)

Reminds me about this yt comment in a video about STLM vs Vanilla:

Considering Toussaint is the pinacle of cd projekt yellowism, it's no surprise you hate that even more lol (let's hope the new team doesnt fuck up next game's dlcs too).

ther's no way in hell an artist would validate how vanilla look, its the doing of high ups with no art knolwedge and just management/marketing/money in mind

---------- Updated at 11:00 PM ----------

I think the way Toussaint looks right now is perfect ... why they didn't left the colors like in the Cinematic trailer? Well, because in that trailer Toussaint didn't looked like it was described in the books and the second reason is, if you gonna make a new area for a large expansion like B&W is, you want to make that area different and unique in comparison to the other areas..

Velen looks different than Skellige, Skellige looks different than Kaer Morhen, KM looks different than those two areas, Novigrad looks different than all of them, etc.. so naturally Toussaint should look different than all other areas.. CD Projekt RED just followed the descriptions from the books.. and Toussaint in fact is the best designed area in the whole game + pretty much everything in that area is better designed then anything in Velen/Skellige/KM, because the new are doesn't have basically no filler.. and the writing is still miles better than in the majority of modern games.. yeah, the main story sn't as strong as in HoS or the main game, but in my opinion the main story has one of the best scenes in the whole trilogy - the table scene between all the major B&W characters.. similar scene was really missing in the main game between Eredin and Geralt, Ciri or Avallach.. + the side quests were all still very high quality + they nailed the character of Regis - maybe the best transfer of a character from to books to games in the Witcher trilogy

Anyway, you are doing a great work Essenthy with the game and I'm really looking for the new version of the mod..take your time of course with that :)

am pretty sure they took their liberties with the original lore found in the book, they dont have to stick exactly to that, and even then, the lore is just words, you can interpret it pretty broadly, colorful does not mean yellow tint and disney style humor with pop culture reference left and right for the mainstream audience and youtuber to make video about the game

it feel completely detached from the main game with poor story telling and lots of filler quest, some immature game design decisions also, its like a shredding guitar solo, its very technical but ther's no soul or feeling in their

yeah i dont like it ! its still good compared to other AAA titles, but not CDPR quality level

it feel completely detached from the main game with poor story telling and lots of filler quest, some immature game design decisions also, its like a shredding guitar solo, its very technical but ther's no soul or feeling in their

yeah i dont like it ! its still good compared to other AAA titles, but not CDPR quality level

I think we might have overestimated them. when a team or a project starts to bloom, it's full of new ideas and although small, it's very strong from within. however as they grow, business takes over and profit becomes more important and thus dictates more. I hate to say but my favorite studio has passed its peak and is now slipping the slope.

I think we might have overestimated them. when a team or a project starts to bloom, it's full of new ideas and although small, it's very strong from within. however as they grow, business takes over and profit becomes more important and thus dictates more. I hate to say but my favorite studio has passed its peak and is now slipping the slope.

nah i dont think its that bad lol remember that the base game took years to make and many many iterations, B&W was made is like 1 years or less ? when something havnt been iterated enough its just show, also 2 expansion might have been too much, i would have preferred 1 big addon and fix for the base game rather

the real test will be cyberpunk

---------- Updated at 08:10 AM ----------

it seems we are getting off topic

the version 2.3 will make interiors darker or brighter?

neither, if ther's light around it will be bright, if no light = dark

WO yes, Skellige probably, KM i dont know yet, also its one clouds model from B&W not all of them
So you're only adding clouds to existing set instead of replacing them? That's good because default clouds make perfect sense for the weather. Especially in Skellige. It would be weird to replace them. Can't wait to see how it looks.

By Essenthy of course :D

@essenthy looks really good. Billion time better than vanilla. But why you do not use sun brightness from 2.2? Is this your taste or is this because of technical limitation? I mean color grading is more similar to E3 this time. But sun brightness was more similar to E3 in 2.2 version.

Anyway I can't wait to play with this mod again from beginning. :) And did you start to change settings of bad weather or it will began after clear weather?

EDIT: And mountains and fog in distance looks better than your last comparison video with vanilla. :)

but what about the distant fog?

Here you can see that E3 2014 version had the blue distance fog, of course you meant this.

And also, the game kinda needs it, even if you don't like it. Try to use mod to remove your fog completely, it will look very weird without it.

Last edited:
the game kinda needs it, even if you don't like it. Try to use mod to remove your fog completely, it will look very weird without it.

Indeed the LOD in the game isn't good enough to completely get rid of it. Doing so together with extended light reach will expose a lot of rather nasty flaws.

With that said they certainly went overboard with the distance fog in vanilla.

And also, the game kinda needs it, even if you don't like it. Try to use mod to remove your fog completely, it will look very weird without it.

I know what you're saying and I fully agree. STLM 2.2 reduced the fog's density and changed its visual parameters. the screenshot form v2.2 explains a lot better.

Just for the comparison. Stlm 2.2 12:00 PM clear weather :

Now this is what is called an improvement.

Last edited:
It certainly is in many respects. but to my eyes the distant far is more natural in 2,2.
I don't know how to describe it. it's more like a gray thin fog.

Last edited:
Indeed the LOD in the game isn't good enough to completely get rid of it. Doing so together with extended light reach will expose a lot of rather nasty flaws.

With that said they certainly went overboard with the distance fog in vanilla.

Completely agree. The visuals just don't scale right over a long distance, so some fog is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom