[Lighting Mod] STLM 2.2

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Essenthy did you also make the colors more vibrant or am I wrong on that one?View attachment 78641

no its default, i try to avoid changing color values as it can cause issues in the long term

---------- Updated at 05:32 AM ----------

VGX seems to have a little more extendied view (less fog) than 2.3 too, though the different terrain level might influence this (because VGX seems to have terrain at the same level, while the release TW3 version seems to have the same terrain at a lower level).

as i already explained in a previous post, VGX trailer velen is very VERY small compared to vanilla, so the background on those shots is much more closer, like Baron castle is just across the river, in vanilla you cant even see the river and the castle is much farther away

it also shows how they went from quality to quantity in design

For some reason I can't see the pictures you provided :-/

I have same issue sometime. Try to refresh page without stopping and it will show you picture again. Or open it in new tab and spam the refresh button there, it is easiest way. It seems many of us have same problem. With this method I can see all SS :)

I have same issue sometime. Try to refresh page without stopping and it will show you picture again. Or open it in new tab and spam the refresh button there, it is easiest way. It seems many of us have same problem. With this method I can see all SS :)
Reporting the same issue, so I guess it is not our fault. I wonder where we can send info about it :)

Do not upload pictures to the forum, upload them to IMGUR or another website and use

So we have a complete comparison:

[/COLOR]]

2.3 just needs that sharpness setting maxed out to get even closer.

The model changes from VGX to release are interesting. The decking, moving a barrel, changing the angle of that boom.
(ignoring obvious stuff, hair, towers in the distance, cottage chimney)

no its default, i try to avoid changing color values as it can cause issues in the long term

---------- Updated at 05:32 AM ----------

as i already explained in a previous post, VGX trailer velen is very VERY small compared to vanilla, so the background on those shots is much more closer, like Baron castle is just across the river, in vanilla you cant even see the river and the castle is much farther away

it also shows how they went from quality to quantity in design

My guess is that they also intentionally added too much fog to increase that fake feeling of quantity they wanted to create. This also backfired because the streamline between interior (where you can't have much of it, unless it's a big space like the sewers) and exterior atmosphere was fucked up too.

As most of the bad decisions, this one probably wasn't from the operative force of the design team, which was probably free to do what they wanted back in VGX time.

Last edited:
My guess is that they also intentionally added too much fog to increase that fake feeling of quantity they wanted to create. This also backfired because the streamline between interior (where you can't have much of it, unless it's a big space like the sewers) and exterior atmosphere was fucked up too.

As most of the bad decisions, this one probably wasn't from the operative force of the design team, which was probably free to do what they wanted back in VGX time.

it wasnt that, the fog was added to hide low lod on consoles, PC has way higher lod even on default ultra and they could have easily done what am doing with STLM, but that wouldnt work on console since lod is very low, that would mean double work for the artists so we ended up with console level of fog hiding a higher level of lod, wich sound ridiculous

if they didnt insist on a bigger open world we would might had something way closer to the early builds, also the decision to change the art direction might have been because of B&W and the desire to sel more of it, if vanilla did look like the early builds ( more colorful, high view distance ) then B&W wouldnt have been the graphics surprise that it was, but beside its graphics ( and thats debatable ) it ended being inferior to the Wild hunt in every way

the decision to change the art direction might have been because of B&W and the desire to sel more of it, if vanilla did look like the early builds ( more colorful, high view distance ) then B&W wouldnt have been the graphics surprise that it was

I highly doubt that B&W had anything to do with it. I'm not saying they couldn't have had plans for the B&W expansion that far back (pretty much all developers have the DLC fully planned out before their game is even released nowadays, much to my chagrin), but it's really hard to believe that they would go through the trouble of making a drastic change to the art direction and flat out downgrading the visuals just to ensure that Toussaint would eventually look different enough from the rest of the game.
I mean, that's some serious ass-backwards logic.

I highly doubt that B&W had anything to do with it. I'm not saying they couldn't have had plans for the B&W expansion that far back (pretty much all developers have the DLC fully planned out before their game is even released nowadays, much to my chagrin), but it's really hard to believe that they would go through the trouble of making a drastic change to the art direction and flat out downgrading the visuals just to ensure that Toussaint would eventually look different enough from the rest of the game.

Even with that old beautiful footage the B&W would look different anyway. B&W is more like cartoonish and fairy tale style but pre release footage was more mature style. I think why DEV team managed to make game different than vanilla is size of B&W map and some new optimizing skills.

yeah its a bit far fetched :p , one other simple reason might be that the maps are way too big

---------- Updated at 03:53 PM ----------

@essenthy;

Would you please explain about the shininess and color clarity of this image?

what do you mean ? btw all these screen shot am posting are not definitive, things might changes, just keep this in mind

what do you mean ?

The overall theme is pretty nice and gives a better feeling of the surroundings but it looks blurred. It is also seem as if the contrast is a little low and the brightness is a little high.

PS
I always appreciate the time and effort you put into this.

The overall theme is pretty nice and gives a better feeling of the surroundings but it looks blurred. It is also seem as if the contrast is a little low and the brightness is a little high.

PS

I think it looks great - leaves a lot more detail in shaded areas..

PS

well the photo is compressed to begin with, and i dont use a high mimapbias value so thing look blurry but i prefer that rather than shimmering, also you can adjust the brightness in your game as you wish its not a fixed setting

I think it looks great - leaves a lot more detail in shaded areas..

Fully agreed.

also you can adjust the brightness in your game as you wish its not a fixed setting

Right. this image might have been taken with lower gamma value like mine [gamma=0.35]. this would result in more color clarity depending on monitor. (didn't mean to confuse gamma with brightness or contrast)

Last edited:
Fully agreed.

Right. this image might have been taken with lower gamma value like mine [gamma=0.35]. this would result in more color clarity depending on monitor. (didn't mean to confuse gamma with brightness or contrast)

This my SS and didn't changed any gamma value. This is what Stlm 2.2 did. I like 2.3 same place more than this. This is too dark 2.2.

@essenthy: Hi, I am following this thread with alot of anticipation of new pictures! :)

Until the final version is released, I am playing with a single env-file-mod. Editing STLM 2.2 myself is to time consuming, therefore much kudos for doing so essenthy!!!

As you pointed out that the sun flare effect can be - and I suppose will be changed in 2.3 - I'm wondering which value has to be changed, because the mod of my choice right now modded the lighting in a way, with made the flare texture awefully bulky and sharp. I want to change it to the velen/novigrad/skellige dirty flare-effect, which suits the mod more (I think). You may know the mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1837/?

thanks!

@essenthy: Hi, I am following this thread with alot of anticipation of new pictures! :)

Until the final version is released, I am playing with a single env-file-mod. Editing STLM 2.2 myself is to time consuming, therefore much kudos for doing so essenthy!!!

As you pointed out that the sun flare effect can be - and I suppose will be changed in 2.3 - I'm wondering which value has to be changed, because the mod of my choice right now modded the lighting in a way, with made the flare texture awefully bulky and sharp. I want to change it to the velen/novigrad/skellige dirty flare-effect, which suits the mod more (I think). You may know the mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1837/?

thanks!

check the sunflar settings in the w2w files for each region in the level folder and change it as you wish, its just a texture

I kept a copy of 2.1, and recently loaded it up.
You guys can do a pretty much complete comparison with the rest of the versions now:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom