[Lighting Mods] STLM 3.0

+
OK. So. Finally I finished White Orchard part. I mean I finished it totally. With all side quests and place of interests. What I can say about STLM of this zone. Just amazing. I never meditated to pass the weather condition. All TOD were perfect. Even bad weather was amazing with high DOF and disabled projector effect and AO. I never played this game with such immersion. Thank you essenthy.

I had a lot of free time this weekend and I used it to really compare STLM3, because I realized just starting a discussion by saying 'I don't like it' is not helping anyone. There is so much beauty in STLM, I hope essenthy has the time and determination to polish a few things and the result will be the best Witcher we've ever seen. Here's my summary:

What I like:
  • Depth of field - I am usually not a fan of DOF, but it fits perfectly here. Very impressive.
  • Daylight - Most of the game looks fantastic. You can really feel the difference between regions and climates, great job!
  • Weather - The weather has a much more realistic feel to it now.
What I don't like:
  • Sunsets - The sunsets in Velen are a bit too yellow and too dramatic, whereas in Skellige slighty underwhelming.
  • Moon - Simply too big.
  • Nights - The biggest weakness of STLM3 imho. I know everybody was asking for darker nights, but I think essenthy overshot a bit. It might look nice on screenshots, but the nights are so dark (and torches so bright in contrast), it makes actually playing the game really difficult. And running around with a cat potion all the time completely destroys the visual beauty of the game. We should find a compromise between looks and gameplay here. Especially since Witchers are supposed to see better in the dark anyway, brighter nights also fit the lore.
What I consider bugs:
  • Fires - The fires itself look amazing, but they radiate too much light, blinding at night and making object too close completely oversaturated: http://imgur.com/a/Hhar4
  • Clouds - Some clouds are oversaturated at dusk or at night: http://imgur.com/a/9YnWE
  • Blue color - Somehow the blue color is oversaturated at night. It's really hard to capture on a screenshot, but wolfsbane for example looks like it is glowing: http://imgur.com/a/9fuCV
  • Indoors - Inside buildings is too dark and kind of foggy sometimes. Makes it really hard to see where you're going.
  • Moon - The moon turns orange during sunset. The moon is sometimes growing. https://youtu.be/Pjfyki86QkU
I really hope essenthy can fix some of the bugs and adjust the lighting at night a bit - then STLM3 will be perfect! It's on a very good way already :)

Last edited:
YannKelar;n7600000 said:
essenthy:i always wondered if its possible for you to make the water more looking like this:

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/s...the_swamps.jpg

Beside that, one major thing are the clouds:
would it be possible to make them in ultra high resolution and, if possible, in 3D?

YannKelar;n7601810 said:
Thats why i want to ask you essenthy, if you could take on those clouds and water to make them visually as stunning as seen in the 2013 version?

I hope this isn't serious.

Why don't you also go ahead and ask him to rewrite the renderer to DX12?

Any chance you'll change your mind about doing STLM for Toussaint? With how brilliant 3.1 is I can only imagine the magic you could create for Toussaint.

Death132;n7612220 said:
Any chance you'll change your mind about doing STLM for Toussaint? With how brilliant 3.1 is I can only imagine the magic you could create for Toussaint.

no there wont be STLM in toussaint, i can make it really easily but i dont want that, i really dont like toussaint, i know some peoples like it and i get that, but i dont, its so different than what W3 is for me it completely throw away everything about vanilla, if i didnt have strong bounds to the game maybe i would have made it, but i like the original wild hunt too much

4nnihilat0r;n7610510 said:
I had a lot of free time this weekend and I used it to really compare STLM3, because I realized just starting a discussion by saying 'I don't like it' is not helping anyone. There is so much beauty in STLM, I hope essenthy has the time and determination to polish a few things and the result will be the best Witcher we've ever seen. Here's my summary:

What I like:
  • Depth of field - I am usually not a fan of DOF, but it fits perfectly here. Very impressive.
  • Daylight - Most of the game looks fantastic. You can really feel the difference between regions and climates, great job!
What I don't like:
  • Sunsets - The sunsets in Velen are a bit too yellow and too dramatic, whereas in Skellige slighty underwhelming.
  • Moon - Simply too big.
  • Nights - The biggest weakness of STLM3 imho. I know everybody was asking for darker nights, but I think essenthy overshot a bit. It might look nice on screenshots, but the nights are so dark (and torches so bright in contrast), it makes actually playing the game really difficult. And running around with a cat potion all the time completely destroys the visual beauty of the game. We should find a compromise between looks and gameplay here. Especially since Witchers are supposed to see better in the dark anyway, brighter nights also fit the lore.
What I consider bugs:
  • Fires - The fires itself look amazing, but they radiate too much light, blinding at night and making object too close completely oversaturated: http://imgur.com/a/Hhar4
  • Clouds - Some clouds are oversaturated at dusk or at night: http://imgur.com/a/9YnWE
  • Blue color - Somehow the blue color is oversaturated at night. It's really hard to capture on a screenshot, but wolfsbane for example looks like it is glowing: http://imgur.com/a/9fuCV
  • Indoors - Inside buildings is too dark and kind of foggy sometimes. Makes it really hard to see where you're going.
  • Moon - The moon turns orange during sunset. The moon is sometimes growing. https://youtu.be/Pjfyki86QkU

I really hope essenthy can fix some of the bugs and adjust the lighting at night a bit - then STLM3 will be perfect! It's on a very good way already :)

I agree.
If essenthy don't fixed mod in future, perhabs anybody fixed this bugs?
And this bug in (final) Orchard, unnatural lighting without sun (day/evening)
comparison v2.1 & v311 perhabs fix it(back old lighting)?
http://imgur.com/a/rep5N

WalteriusMaximus;n7590870 said:
I totally agree with you. For all the number of things STLM 3 gets right, there is an equal number of things it gets very very wrong. Think I will just stick with vanilla lighting and Reshade.

well then stay in vanilla am not forcing you to use it, and if you have balls try to mod the lighting yourself and show me how you will get things right

4nnihilat0r;n7610510 said:

What I like:
What I don't like:
  • Moon - Simply too big.
What I consider bugs:

you're expecting me to do the work of a 10 professional peoples with profressional tools in one mod using fan made tools ( they are great dont get me wrong ), while i did achieve what i wanted with stlm 3.0, its far from perfect and to polish it to the level that i really want it would take me at least a year of work doing just polishing, if you cant understand the amount of work it requiere and expect perfection from a single modder than i dont know what to tel you

also these " what i like " and " what i dont like " comments make me laugh really, did i asked peoples for their opinion ? i mean sure you can give it, its a free forums, but i really dont care about it, let me be clear again, i made the mod for myself, finishing it was more of a challenge than anything rather than of any enjoyement

it says alot about today spoiled PC gamers mindset where they take everything for granted and think modders work for them, when i use any new mod for W3 ( or any game really ) am just happy that it exist, happy that someone who didnt have to do it took his time to make it, even the smallest mods, solving an issue or upgrading something that devs didnt care about, and if i dont like something about a mod, i just modify it, thats how STLM originally started

i never or very rarely comment on any mod i use, and when i do its mostly to praise the modder and thank him, thats it, you cant even start to imagine how complexe today video games are, modding them starting from nothing like W3 is a serious challenge, am not telling you to praise me or stlm, your free to think whatever you want, however think twice before commenting on it, or on any mod for any game really

Last edited:
Jurek1994;n7613540 said:
Well says essenthy , pour him :cheers: Respect that and stop complain if you don't like it just unnistall the mod. Simple.

I disagree. I already said many times that I greatly appreciate essenthys work, but I am programmer myself and user feedback is the single most important thing in our field. There is no way essenthy can do the debugging of such a huge project himself. That's why I sat down (also in my free time btw) and made the list that you see on the previous page. Of course he is under no obligations to fix anything. But if I were him and working on this, I would appreciate a good feedback from my users, just as the users should appreciate the modders work.

4nnihilat0r;n7614250 said:
I disagree. I already said many times that I greatly appreciate essenthys work, but I am programmer myself and user feedback is the single most important thing in our field. There is no way essenthy can do the debugging of such a huge project himself. That's why I sat down (also in my free time btw) and made the list that you see on the previous page. Of course he is under no obligations to fix anything. But if I were him and working on this, I would appreciate a good feedback from my users, just as the users should appreciate the modders work.

I agree.

essenthy;n7612960 said:
you're expecting me to do the work of a 10 professional peoples with profressional tools in one mod using fan made tools ( they are great dont get me wrong ), while i did achieve what i wanted with stlm 3.0, its far from perfect and to polish it to the level that i really want it would take me at least a year of work doing just polishing, if you cant understand the amount of work it requiere and expect perfection from a single modder than i dont know what to tel you

also these " what i like " and " what i dont like " comments make me laugh really, did i asked peoples for their opinion ? i mean sure you can give it, its a free forums, but i really dont care about it, let me be clear again, i made the mod for myself, finishing it was more of a challenge than anything rather than of any enjoyement

it says alot about today spoiled PC gamers mindset where they take everything for granted and think modders work for them, when i use any new mod for W3 ( or any game really ) am just happy that it exist, happy that someone who didnt have to do it took his time to make it, even the smallest mods, solving an issue or upgrading something that devs didnt care about, and if i dont like something about a mod, i just modify it, thats how STLM originally started

i never or very rarely comment on any mod i use, and when i do its mostly to praise the modder and thank him, thats it, you cant even start to imagine how complexe today video games are, modding them starting from nothing like W3 is a serious challenge, am not telling you to praise me or stlm, your free to think whatever you want, however think twice before commenting on it, or on any mod for any game really

I kinda agree with you, especially with "spoiled PC gamers" statement.
But since this game is not mod friendly you should have a team, more people who would help you.

If this game was easy to mod like Stalker or TES, i would jump into it long time ago. And i would probably do what you do since lighting is big problem here.
Also to make this properly some textures should be edited because every change in lighting affects them too. Foliage transparency also is not good here.

What a pathetic act by you essenthy

He just wrote his opinion about the mod and shared some thoughts on how you could improve it, because as you mentioned, the mod is not flawless. It contains obvious bugs like those oversaturated clouds during nights. If you want to fix them, great, if not, no problem. But he did nothing wrong, and being so unkind will only discourage people from you.

I can't speak for essenthy because everybody has their own opinion, but as a lowly modder who doesn't produce many mods and only puts a few hours into each, it makes me crazy when somebody negatively critics my work even if they didn't mean anything bad by it. I can't imagine how it makes essenthy feel when somebody does the previously mentioned. I know it has bugs, he knows it has bugs, everybody knows it has bugs. Does that mean it's not the single greatest mod ever produced for the game, absolutely not! :) The mod could be better if essenthy decides to give the community the most precious thing he has in life (time), but he's given so much of it already that I'm just grateful he decided to share it with us. Last time I checked, essenthy didn't even have a donate button for his mod which tells me what a generous person he is. Thanks for the tremendous amount of effort you put into STLM essenthy

Mehtih_;n7616160 said:
What a pathetic act by you essenthy

I'm going to say this a second time in this thread:

Are insults REALLY necessary!?

it's like you guys want this thread to get locked!

Essenthy is the creator of the mod, he has the right to take and reject criticism. He's also said that he made it the way he likes it.

plus: many famous developers/authors/creators of different things have
said that adding your fans ideas to your creations is the best and quickest way to ruin it.

Think of it like playing telephone: the idea begins at the start and by the end it becomes completely different.

Last edited:
C'mon Mehtih_ you took it a bit far with that comment. I too think essenthy got a bit agro with his comment but that's just not productive. I understand that essenthy is entitled to whatever he wants to do as the mod author and we whom download your mod are entitled to nothing as you owe us nothing.

However (to essenthy) if you don't care for what that guy thought was constructive criticism then just don't respond? He didn't do anything wrong, he wasn't trying to bring you down or be a jerk. So I don't get why there's a need to respond saying how us PC gamers are entitled and what not?

Not trying to be combative, just wanted to post thoughts. And tnx for the mod, can't play without.

Personal comment: As essenthy has stated above, this is, after all, his modification, and he has not asked for feedback, nor for a team to help him. He is, therefore, under no obligation to continue work on the mod, nor to adopt players' suggestions, nor even to respond to criticisms, unless he feels it would be advantageous to this project. It is his work -- and fairly impressive, at that -- and he is free to do as he pleases.

Moderator's comment: Please, keep all responses in this thread respectful, and leave moderating to the moderators. Thank you. Carry on.

essenthy I think it should take a decision
continue to support the mod or abandon it ..

if it continues in its development he will certainly try to improve it, if you simply decide to abandon it play with it or not.
every of The Witcher player has his own choice to make

Metal kind of glows when in a shadowed area at night. Is this just how the lighting works or is there a potential fix for something like this?

Top Bottom