[Lighting Mods] STLM 3.0

+
Ok, let's get this straight. You can do whatever you want, but many people are not really interested in these MANY fixes to so called "BUGS".
The only thing I am concerned about is essenthy. I don't want him to be reluctant to give us more material with his mod, because of this.

Evgdan95;n8313100 said:
Ok, let's get this straight. You can do whatever you want, but many people are not really interested in these MANY fixes to so called "BUGS".
The only thing I am concerned about is essenthy. I don't want him to be reluctant to give us more material with his mod, because of this.

He's not the only one who can mod, you know. I think this has been illustrated very clearly.

Evgdan95;n8313100 said:

As many other are instead...let's go straight...just ten posts and such arrogant. Chill mate and let's adults discuss this.

Let's not let this turn into a flame war peops!
Essenthy did not want others to update his mod and share the results in this thread it seems, that is what it is.

Opinions are like belly buttons, we all have them. Let's let opinions be opinions :)

Dammn! So much improvements and bufixes and such sad ending...I hope essenthy or Mishikedman will continue his work on mod..Does anybody ask them about that situation? Or hope left us?

No Title

Suddenly i come a cross a beautiful lens flare effect which i never see in my 200+hour gameplay. If i remember, this was a effect in the 35min demo in the swap-killing. It happened in skeliage when afternoon.

Attachments

• photo126760.jpg
    photo126760.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 61
  • photo126770.jpg
    photo126770.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 65
HUMMERCDHUMMER;n8325500 said:
Suddenly i come a cross a beautiful lens flare effect which i never see in my 200+hour gameplay. If i remember, this was a effect in the 35min demo in the swap-killing. It happened in skeliage when afternoon.

should be possible to recreate. Question is if it fits to the mood of other regions.

ImprovizoR;n8308570 said:
Actually it isn't. There's no copyright protection for a free mod that doesn't even use new assets of any kind created by the modder. And essenthy's mod only modifies existing assets within the game. The only thing that you can't do is upload modified mod on a website like Nexus without the original author's permission because you'd be banned for breaking their rules. Other than that you can do whatever you want.
And to keep it 100% real, even if you create a shitload of new assets for a mod, there's still not much that you can do about copyright. I used to mod Morrowind a long time ago. I can still find mods that incorporate parts of my mods without anyone giving me any credit. Do I care? Not in the slightest.

WalteriusMaximus This statement by ImprovizoR is simply not true.
An excerpt from the wcc_eula - the license agreement between CD Projekt RED and the mod maker who installed the mod tools:

(6) WHO OWNS WITCHER III MODDING TOOL-MADE CONTENT?
  • You own all the content that you create using the Witcher III Modding Tool and may use it freely as long as you do follow these rules (in particular, you do not use the content for commercial purposes or make any money out of it).
  • If you create, distribute or otherwise make available any Witcher III Modding Tool-made content, you automatically grant to CD PROJEKT RED the irrevocable, perpetual, royalty free, assignable and sublicensable worldwide right and license under all applicable copyright, trademark and other intellectual property rights laws to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, perform, display, distribute, transmit, broadcast, exploit and/or dispose of that Witcher III Modding Tool-made content in any way without any obligation of compensation to you.
  • By creating, distributing or otherwise making available any Witcher III Modding Tool-made content, you waive any claims against CD PROJEKT RED or its affiliates regarding moral rights, any similar rights anywhere in the world and any other rights you may have in connection with our use of that content.

So a mod is copyrighted by the mod author, period.
And any license, permissions etc. a mod author decides to put onto his mod is an agreement between the author and the mod user, which the user has to adhere to. So redistributing a mod without the author's is actually an act of (the exact legal definition may vary depending on the country you live in) software piracy or theft of intellectual property.

Even in regards to modding Bethesda games the statement is wrong. Custom assets have always been copyrighted by their creator, in addition to that the new Creation Kit EULA (since Fallout 4) includes a similar paragraph to the quote above which now clarifies that even content created without custom assets is copyrighted to the mod author and only sub-licensed to ZeniMax.

Kad_Venku;n8328510 said:
WalteriusMaximus This statement by ImprovizoR is simply not true.
An excerpt from the wcc_eula - the license agreement between CD Projekt RED and the mod maker who installed the mod tools:

And any license, permissions etc. a mod author decides to put onto his mod is an agreement between the author and the mod user, which the user has to adhere to. So redistributing a mod without the author's is actually an act of (the exact legal definition may vary depending on the country you live in) software piracy or theft of intellectual property.

Even in regards to modding Bethesda games the statement is wrong. Custom assets have always been copyrighted by their creator, in addition to that the new Creation Kit EULA (since Fallout 4) includes a similar paragraph to the quote above which now clarifies that even content created without custom assets is copyrighted to the mod author and only sub-licensed to ZeniMax.

"You own the content you create". The content you create. STLM does not contain any "created content", in my understanding of the statement. It contains edited vanilla game content.

WalteriusMaximus;n8328770 said:
"You own the content you create". The content you create. STLM does not contain any "created content", in my understanding of the statement. It contains edited vanilla game content.

The mod has been created by Essenthy and packaged with wcc, therefore it is subject to the license agreement. It does contain game content, which differs from the base game, whether that content is exclusively based off of vanilla files or not is irrelevant to the agreement, it is still his work, his time and knowledge he put into creating the "Witcher III Modding Tool-Made Content". The licence explicitly states "all the content you create" not "only new content which does not use base game files", so the agreement is including, but by no means limited to "only" editing vanilla files.

Clarification:
Would one create a mod which only repackages vanilla files without editing them, that would still be "Witcher III Modding Tool-Made Content" as the EULA paragraph states and thus be subject to the EULA. It would be an issue exclusively between the "mod" author and CDPR whether such a "mod" would be an infringement to CDPR's copyright (which it most likely is). The fact that it's a repackage of unmodified vanilla game files still does not grant any third party (everyone who is neither the author, nor part of CDPR) the right to modify, redistribute or repackage that "mod".

Last edited:
Kad_Venku;n8328510 said:
Nope. You can install and use The Witcher 3 modding tools without having to agree to a EULA. You don't need a license agreement in order to use it. So it's not legally binding. Which means no copyright. EULA's are usually full of crap anyway. Only Americans and a few other common law countries take that stuff seriously.

A gaming company simply doesn't have the legal authority to define what copyrighted material is and what it means. And a mod that simply changes existing copyrighted material that belongs to CDPR isn't going to be magically protected just because some EULA says that it is. At the end of the day lighting mods are simply edited versions of existing content that belongs to CDPR. They're not your content no matter what some obscure EULA says. Corporations can't create laws. Not yet anyway. And they can't enforce them either.

And really, in a grown up world there's not a single thing that you or me or anyone else can do about it even if it were legally binding. Is a mod author supposed to sue someone for editing his mod? Some of the people here need to grow up.

Last edited:
Soo if someone use e3 2014 or VGX 2013 for inspiration he can't because there is already a mod that looks similar already, did i understand this right, so that way with every lighting mod we will be more and more limited to use certain things, like maybe color of grass because someone before us use it first ? And if you want to go in details, env can be eddited only in W3Edit made by Sarcen, is there some EULE for this, is this cd projekt set of toolls ? And in env you edit already set values and that is it?

Kad_Venku;n8329630 said:
The mod has been created by Essenthy and packaged with wcc, therefore it is subject to the license agreement. It does contain game content, which differs from the base game, whether that content is exclusively based off of vanilla files or not is irrelevant to the agreement, it is still his work, his time and knowledge he put into creating the "Witcher III Modding Tool-Made Content". The licence explicitly states "all the content you create" not "only new content which does not use base game files", so the agreement is including, but by no means limited to "only" editing vanilla files.

Clarification:
Would one create a mod which only repackages vanilla files without editing them, that would still be "Witcher III Modding Tool-Made Content" as the EULA paragraph states and thus be subject to the EULA. It would be an issue exclusively between the "mod" author and CDPR whether such a "mod" would be an infringement to CDPR's copyright (which it most likely is). The fact that it's a repackage of unmodified vanilla game files still does not grant any third party (everyone who is neither the author, nor part of CDPR) the right to modify, redistribute or repackage that "mod".

I see. So basically someone could change something little in every aspect of the game and then claim copyright on the entire game. Solid.

Well done to everyone who took part in bullying Mishikedman to stop working on HIS OWN PERSONAL EDIT for STLM, which he never intended to share publicly. This modding community has become something I just don't want to be a part of anymore.

From the beginning he said he would stop if Essenthy was against. He respect his work and decision , its just normal behavior...

Truthfully all this does is hold back the modding potential of the game. @Mishikedman has proven to be very capable and talented with these frequent updates that were showing a ton of progress. Essenthy clearly has other priorities with how infrequently he comes here and updates the mod. He hasn't even bothered responding to this situation. That is enough to clearly show that this is not a priority for him.

Top Bottom