Lighting / Shadow glitch after a small patch

+
I was just made aware of this thanks to a thread on ResetERA, as I'd finished playing my copy just before the last patch.

I loaded up the game, started a fresh playthrough (using the Blood and Wine option) and ran into the issue almost immediately in certain areas of Novigrad and
Both areas had strange circular shadows AND lighting, and NPC's don't spawn went entering crowded interiors until I exit and re-enter.

This is on an Xbox One X, off the internal HDD, using a 1080p and the in game 4k option. This is the digital GoTY version of the game.

I was about to replay the game as well and won't bother until this is fixed. If any more info or screenshots are needed I'd be happy to supply them.

I'll also send off a post to CDPR's support page.

Trying to stay current with this, but also trying to keep the juices flowing. In that regard, please do feel free to post things here, but also be sure to send in an official CDPR Support ticket:

https://en.cdprojektred.com/support/?support-product=the-witcher-3

This issue is a real poser, apparently, and Tech Support is going to need all the data they can get. Still not sure exactly how and why this is happening, but it's affecting only certain Xbox models. I also apologize again to everyone that's been dealing with this bug.

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/ichi-fox/video/58890598

Here’s a short clip direct from my Xbox showing the glitches. I’ll also fill out a report
Post automatically merged:

Something that’s occurred to me - can all those that are experiencing the glitch confirm if they are playing on a 1080p display or 4K? Are there any people that are playing on a full 4K set that are also experiencing the glitches?

I’m on a 1080p tv.

Last edited:
I am on 1080p too having the bugs. I can confirm that a friend of mine has no lighting/shadow bugs using a 4k screen. But the bugs shouldn'd appear in performance mode since this is no 4k instead full hd but 60fps right? Evenmore how should the display influence this?

I am on 1080p too having the bugs. I can confirm that a friend of mine has no lighting/shadow bugs using a 4k screen. But the bugs shouldn'd appear in performance mode since this is no 4k instead full hd but 60fps right? Evenmore how should the display influence this?

I’m not sure but so far, everyone that has responded here and on other forums where I have asked have all said they are on a 1080p screen. Could be an issue with supersampling of certain textures maybe?

This is really interesting. I will get my X1X to my friend and will connect to his 4k screen. But if this assumption is right, why does it appear on performance mode too. Sumpersampling is used if a 4k image is send to a 1080p screen righ? But in performance mode it is a 1080p image to tv just open fps is activated right? As at the beginning of the game before it was patched and locked to 30fps. Question is if performance mode is even working? I doubted this already, not only because the switch is not staying at performance mode in the game settings. For me it makes no difference if i set to 4k or performance from feeling. It feels to be the same fps. In my opinion Cdred missed some testing here.
Furthermore in my opinion the bugs started with the ghost patch in March. The actual 1.60 patch did not cause the problems as I recall (X1X patch). Finally I want to add the game should work with X1X and 1080p tv either in 4k or performance mode.

Since I posted this, another gamer on Resetera has confirmed he’s ran into the glitch using a 4K screen so that’s debunked my 1080p theory. Worth asking though as you never know, particularly as this bug has been known since March and there is still no fix.

I’ve had 2 emails off CDPR this morning - replies to 2 reports I filed that state they are aware and gathering data.

Hopefully it’s fixed soon. I tried playing last night and the issue that prevalent that it completely detracted the experience and I couldn’t play it. Went on my PS4 slim and played there but it doesn’t look as good or run as good either.

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/ichi-fox/video/58890598

Here’s a short clip direct from my Xbox showing the glitches. I’ll also fill out a report

Something that’s occurred to me - can all those that are experiencing the glitch confirm if they are playing on a 1080p display or 4K? Are there any people that are playing on a full 4K set that are also experiencing the glitches?

I’m on a 1080p tv.
I'm using a 4k screen and I'm seeing this problem. I've also tried performance instead of hi-res but that didn't help.

Hm. Does anyone experiencing this issue have another TV they could plug the Xbox into? Preferably, one with a native 1080p or lower resolution? Older TV, computer monitor, etc. It'll be interesting to see if the problem persists that way.

What would be really cool is if someone could test the same Xbox on all of the following scenarios:

• HD TV set to 2K / 4K resolution.
  • Same HD TV set to 1080p resolution.
  • TV with a native 1080p resolution.
  • Monitor with a native 2K / 4K resolution.
  • Monitor with a native 1080p resolution.

That could help to narrow down whether problem exists directly on the Xbox or because of some hardware compatibility thing.

The game ran fine up until March. I’m on a native 1080p tv and have the issue and there are people on this forum with 4K sets that are also experiencing the issue.

I think it will be quite difficult for someone to test all the possible outputs you mentioned.... shouldn’t CDPR maybe try that? Also, investigate that 500mb ‘ghost patch’

Unfortunately, at the moment the product I own is broken and wasn’t always that way. If CDPR can’t figure out the issue in a reasonable time, I’ll have to get a refund as the game is unplayable. This is obviously a last resort as I love the game (got it on PS4 too and it runs fine)

Sorry if I sound blunt but this is really quite frustrating and the silence on CDPR’s part is worrying to say the least.

500mega Ghost Patch in March is the problem!!!

Not 1080 or 4K TV.
Look inside your little ghost patch ! Something is broken!

Or remove this patch for replacing with the previous patch Xbox One X update.

Soon 6 months and the bug is still here!
Is totally unacceptable...

Last edited:
PS4 seems to have the issue as well.

https://imgur.com/a/dsfiOW8

Just noticed a poster on GameFAQs complaining about a similar issue and they were kind enough to provide some screenshots.

Those are apparently from a launch model standard PS4 console.

Those are apparently from a launch model standard PS4 console.

Are you seeing this on your PS4? Or are you just reporting the info? If it's on yours, what model of PS4 do you have, and what make and model of TV are you using. I'm getting more and more convinced that this has to be a driver issue (or rather, the game is making calls that are being processed incorrectly by the drivers.) The problem is just too exact and particular to be a random bug.

Just inference on my part, though.

Just checked on my standard Xbox One (not the 1X) and at least in Novigrad everything looks fine shadow wise.

BUT!!!

The bug with NPC's not spawning correctly is there as well.
I entered a tavern and it was completely empty. I walked back out the door and straight back in again and all the NPCs had spawned.

So people are currently playing the game with empty indoor areas thanks to this bug.

Sorry, your post appeared as I typed mine.

That screenshots are from someone else's PS4, not mine.

I'm hoping Ichi_Fox will confirm them on his shortly though, as he's been looking for the issue on his PS4.

If not I'll download the game on my PS4 to confirm it, but with my internet that will take a few days.

I have experienced the bug on the digital GOTY Xbox one version on an Xbox one x.

I also have the game on PS4 vanilla disc and bought all dlc and the bug is NOT present on that version.

Both consoles are running on the same 1080p screen.

I also have access to the GOTY digital version for PS4 AND the digital vanilla game with all dlc on Xbox.

I will install these other versions and report back on all 4 I have access to.

It could be that something in game relating to the Blood and Wine dlc triggers the bug but I started a fresh file on my GOTY Xbox version and the bug was present at the start in White Orchard.

I think it is looking more likely that something in Blood and Wine is triggering it as I never noticed it once in my 60 hours leading up until recently where the bug is EVERYWHERE.

I have the vanilla disc version of the game no expansions downloaded and run into this problem so I don't think it's blood and wine

Not sure in which direction this thread is going but these lighting and shadow bugs are not triggered by blood and wine DLC to me. Again if we are talking about the bugs shown on screenshots e.g. from Vigaku86: These bugs will appear with the latest patch on X1X (1.60+ghost patch). For example when I install the GOTY edition with NO update it has no problems. So something with the last patches is triggering the bugs either on D1 edition or GOTY edition. @SigilFey as mentioned I will take my X1X to a friend with 4k so I have all possible screen variations. But as posters mentioned already: what is this ghost patch in March (500mb)?? IMO this triggered this stuff

@Le_petit_Hulk I have the bugs on D1 and GOTY both discs. Still as mentioned above the patches are triggering it

Top Bottom