Lighting / Shadow glitch after a small patch

+
Strange visual glitch after a small patch

I got a visual bug today. My Xbox One X got an update for Witcher 3 and after I updated, I started the game and went to Corvo Bianco. From dusk to nighttime (6pm onwards) I noticed this visual bug. It's a huge black hole at the door as well as circles surrounding that black hole. I quit and restarted the game and even loaded different profiles and it still had the same glitch. I hope CDPR notices this issue because it is pretty bad and distracting. I have a hard time uploading the image so here is the picture from a link from my twitter page. https://twitter.com/Vigaku86/status/978365107095957508

Found more shadows bugs while exploring all worlds. Seems it's not limited to Corvo Bianco. Happens a lot around Toussaint. Especially Beauclair. However it's in Kaer trolde castle, Kaer morhen castle and other various places in the worlds. Happen at dusk to nighttime most of the time. Here's a link to see the visual bugs: https://twitter.com/Vigaku86/status/978737563497304064

It definitely looks like something (either lighting, shadows, or AO) is being rendered incorrectly. I'm also not sure what the update could have been. Did you recently install or uninstall anything related to the game?

I would send the report with those pictures into CDPR Support:

http://en.cdprojektred.com/contact-support/

I haven't installed or uninstalled anything recently as I have all the content already. What happened was I saw an update for the game the other day for the xbox one x that was about 500 MB and I thought it was a small fix to maybe patch a few minor things in the game so I updated. Yet when I explored I noticed the weird shadows first at Corvo Bianco. Then tested more areas and noticed those strange shadow circles are in various places throughout all worlds. I believe that whatever that update/patch was has affected the lighting for the game. Not just those weird shadow circles but the lighting effects in the game in general seem to not quite properly render as well anymore especially from dusk to night time.

I have sent CDPR the bug report with the Corvo Bianco screenshot first. Their first response told me to clear my cache on my xbox one x. I've done that and it didn't help. I also uninstalled/reinstalled the game as well as used different saves and profiles but still it didn't fix the problem. I've sent them a second report with more screenshots including Kaer Trolde and Beauclair and am awaiting their response. I know that CDPR will look at my second report and investigate but please Sigilfey if you could also pass my dilemma onto them as a backup, I'd really appreciate it. I do want to start another play through but this lighting bug kind of takes away from the immersion.

I downloaded the same ghost-patch (500mb aprox.) on my Xbox One X believing it was 1.61 , but it was not, I do not know what this ghost-patch was? , but of course it has not fixed any error/bug of 1.60 and also seems to have added new errors/bugs

example 1.60 Xbox One X bugs/erros:

-after 1.60 in xbox one X the corpses cut in half or beheaded DONT HAVE RAGODLL, and when you use for example Aard in a corpses cut in half or beheaded they dont move,, I know it's silly, but before the patch everything has ragdoll physics and it was very fun to use aard and watch the corpse of a wild hunt warrior split in half and its head or arm/leg came flying with aard.

-the game crashes randomly and expels to dashboard,

-the slider option from 4k or performace-mode setting dont stay in performance, it always move to 4k. and i want performance on, not 4k.

-strange flicker in the interiors.

-etc....etc....etc....etc....etc....etc....

I have an Xbox One X and can confirm this is a new issue as well. Novigrad is covered in those bullseye circles you posted. They seem to be gradients. The worst is black circles followed by bright outlining circles on several doorways in Touissant. However, they appear all over the world on surfaces of every kind. This is a serious, game-ruining Visual bug.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game twice to no avail. Cleared saved data and re-synced it, etc.

I can also 100% confirm it is *not* my console’s GPU, as Skyrim: Special Edition, Forza Horizon 3, Assassin’s Creed: Origins, and Rainbow 6: Siege run incredibly smoothly without any signs of visual artifacting. I believe the recent ~500mb update caused the issue.

Photo of the worst offender so far: https://i.imgur.com/Niu0sHv.jpg

jedimastermaw;n10742831 said:
I have an Xbox One X and can confirm this is a new issue as well. Novigrad is covered in those bullseye circles you posted. They seem to be gradients. The worst is black circles followed by bright outlining circles on several doorways in Touissant. However, they appear all over the world on surfaces of every kind. This is a serious, game-ruining Visual bug.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game twice to no avail. Cleared saved data and re-synced it, etc.

I can also 100% confirm it is *not* my console’s GPU, as Skyrim: Special Edition, Forza Horizon 3, Assassin’s Creed: Origins, and Rainbow 6: Siege run incredibly smoothly without any signs of visual artifacting. I believe the recent ~500mb update caused the issue.

Photo of the worst offender so far: https://i.imgur.com/Niu0sHv.jpg

This is really annoying. At the moment it looks like the game is more broken with every patch. I really hope that there will be a new patch that fixes all of the glitches without producing new ones soon.

cahlers82;n10742901 said:
This is really annoying. At the moment it looks like the game is more broken with every patch. I really hope that there will be a new patch that fixes all of the glitches without producing new ones soon.

Me too. At this point, I am considering shelving this game/playthrough for a few months and coming back later. I feel like I have spent more time troubleshooting it than playing it in the last couple weeks.

The best thing we can do is submit a tech report to CDPR. I've submitted 3 different ones. I've also made a separate forum topic discovering more bugs. These are just as bad as the lighting bugs. It's good to know that this is not just me having these issues and it is not an isolated incident although good is probably not the word to use. I believe in CDPR and feel that they will fix it but they just need more people to share their bug discovery's like we did. So anyone who sees these posts, if you are having the same issues, send CDPR a tech report detailing the problems.

Vigaku86;n10745571 said:
The best thing we can do is submit a tech report to CDPR. I've submitted 3 different ones. I've also made a separate forum topic discovering more bugs. These are just as bad as the lighting bugs. It's good to know that this is not just me having these issues and it is not an isolated incident although good is probably not the word to use. I believe in CDPR and feel that they will fix it but they just need more people to share their bug discovery's like we did. So anyone who sees these posts, if you are having the same issues, send CDPR a tech report detailing the problems.

Right, definitely report this bug if you have it. Even though it looks like a GPU issue, I can almost guarantee it isn't because I have zero issues with artifacting on other games. This seems like a Witcher issue, so *please* report it to CDPR if you are reading this. You don't even need an account to report issues. And yeah I love CDPR and TW3, just been frustrated by the issues it's had lately.

Yeah it's not a GPU issue as none of my other games are affected either. Plus I saw your screenshot and you and I have the same bugs,in the same areas,from the same update. So it's because of this update that these bugs are present.

Lighting bug after small patch

I seems other users are having also problems with new visual bugs after the recent small patch (no change on version 1.60)
I just want to know if these users expierence the same as I do:
When I enter houses at the entrance door there are light circles with different intensity with no fluent transition to dark. Same at windows. It looks like the light rendering is bugged now. Normally there should be a smooth lighting and shade progression from bright to dark but now there is no smooth transition only hard edges.

Why was this patch enrolled, can't they switch back as an fast fix.

Is there any solution, reinstalling helping?

Unfortunately there seems to be no workaround at the moment. This last update is a big mystery at all. No one seems to know something about it. This is really anoying because it's not possible to skip it.

Thanks for your reply. Do you expierience the same issue as I do?
Yep really annoying, this happened already in the past: new patch new problems...
These strange lighting bugs are really killing immersion, I think this is a major topic and CDR should take care of it. I appreciate the replies of Sigil and also will log a ticket but I have mixed feelings with these tickets. Logged already some in the past where CDR requested my safefiles etc. but in the end no info if they did check it nor if they really looked into the issue.
So is there any Dev reading here the forum or is this Sigil user in contact with them?

I have the same issues as you do as well other people I have talked to. I've also experienced other bugs besides the lighting that perhaps you can check to see if you have too. One big one is NPC's not loading properly in certain parts of the world such as Dandelion's chameleon, the kingfisher in Novigrad, the brothel in Novigrad, etc. They also stand still in certain parts of the world. Another thing is doors remaining open or not appearing at all. Places like the brothel in Novigrad, the inn at white orchard, the gates of the cemetery in Beauclair, etc.

I've already made forum posts about the all these bugs including the lighting bug you mentioned and provided screenshots/video. I believe CDPR is aware and are looking into it because there's been many discussions in the forums as well as tech reports submitted to them. The best thing you can do is submit tech reports on each of these bugs. The more reports they get from people, the more info they can get on the bugs and fix it as fast as possible.

Hi Vigaku86,

I will check these NPC's. The door remaining open I did already saw in the White Orachard too. So this seems same to me. I just did open a tech support case so hopefully CD Red understand this is NOT an issue related to single users nor related to bugged save games or wrong installation.

I just did re-install the game with all add-ons just because I hoped I am lucky and it will solve it but no. Same problems as before. Really frustrating since this happened already sometimes after a new patch was implemented. I now played every patch since the beginning and still the same story. I know that SW updates are kind of a problem from experience but didn't they test this patch?? Does anyone know for what it was for anyhow? The game worked fine for me on my X1X in performance mode (except the switch not staying in position)

But I am hoping CD Red will take care and fix this issue soon.
At least they seem to be very customer friendly so far

Yeah I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling too and it doesn't work. This patch is a mystery to everyone. There's no info on what it was supposed to do and why it was released on 3/26/18. It's good you sent them a tech report on the lighting bugs but also send them individual tech reports on the NPC's and doors. This way they don't overlook those because they are big bugs that need to be addressed, especially the NPC's. The NPC's just act very strange from standing completely still, to not all of them loading in certain areas, to them behaving weirdly when interacting with objects.

Make sure to send them screenshots and video proof so they know what to look for as I did. I also have faith in them because I play Gwent a lot and I know how much they interact with the community in a positive way. The thing is they need awareness on this situation and know that it is not an individual case. Perhaps you should also spread the word on the witcher sub reddit page like some others have as to get the word out and have more people who play xbox one x be aware and inform CDPR.

I have the exact same lighting bug as well and posted in a couple other forums. I would file a support ticket so they realize it is decently widespread issue.

Top Bottom