Linux version?

+
Linux?

Everywhere in the descriptions of the game I see PC, but I'm not sure if that means "Windows only" or maybe there is a chance for a Linux version as well.

I understand certain market limitations might push you to release a Windows game initially, but keep in mind if you use certain technologies (such as OpenGL instead of DX11+, etc.) Linux gamers might also be able to run the game with third-party libraries. A Windows binary doesn't necessarily have to commit to the whole Microsoft stack :)

Last edited:
I understand certain market limitations might push you to release a Windows game initially, but keep in mind if you use certain technologies (such as OpenGL instead of DX11+, etc.) Linux gamers might also be able to run the game with third-party libraries. A Windows binary doesn't necessarily have to commit to the whole Microsoft stack :)

As far as I know, such games (including the Witcher adventure game) are using Unity, so I don't really understand what prevents CDPR from releasing them for Linux natively.

Usage of "PC" as name for Windows is naturally rather annoying for us, Linux users (and all non Windows users for that matter).

I think it's a possibility, but for now it has been confirmed it is Windows only. You might have missed this one ;)

Thanks for the pointer, I indeed missed this (I pretty rarely visit this part of the forum).

---------- Updated at 10:56 PM ----------

Moderators: can you please merge it into the older thread?

Maybe they will use their REDEngine for Gwent? :D If they really do, that might be the reason why Linux wouldn't be easy to do?!

GWENT on Linux

The F.A.Q. states that "The game is expected to release on Xbox One, PC and PlayStation 4".
Is there any chance, even a little one, that "PC" means also Linux PCs and not only Windows PCs?

I'd vote for that. But considering that the Galaxy Client does not have a Linux version (not yet anyway), I wouldn't count on it happening any time soon.

Tungdilboindil;n7580240 said:
Is there any chance, even a little one, that "PC" means also Linux PCs and not only Windows PCs?

The game is build with Unity, which is platform-independent out of the box. So it should be doable. The real issue is with GOG Galaxy, which is required for Gwent. Knowing the devs and their priorities, I would guess it won't ever happen.

4RM3D;n7580760 said:
The game is build with Unity, which is platform-independent out of the box. So it should be doable. The real issue is with GOG Galaxy, which is required for Gwent. Knowing the devs and their priorities, I would guess it won't ever happen.

well, on the gog galaxy page there's written "and soon on linux" so, sometime in the future linux will have gog galaxy, which is a good step, maybe they'll tell something more after the beta ends, although it would be nice to know from the devs what they plan to do sooner rather than later, even if it was just a ''yes, no, maybe''.

Tungdilboindil;n7581110 said:
well, on the gog galaxy page there's written "and soon on linux"

In that case we might actually see a Linux release. But not before the official release of Gwent.

There are very few reasons that I dual boot, and CD Projekt is one of them. I really hope they can offer more Linux support in the future, because Gwent is a fantastic game.

Top Bottom