Linux version?

+
It would take a bit of setup, but if your *nix setup supports VBox with hardware passthrough, and your system can handle it, it's possible to play pretty much anything in *nix. A friend who refuses to dual-boot does this for all his games. Could be a solution until such time there's native support for it, if there ever is. Time consuming though, and you need a system capable of throwing a lot of resources at it without affecting the base OS. It's likely easier and faster just to dual-boot. Another person tried using WINE for both GOG and Gwent, and that works alright for them some of the time. I wouldn't want to try it after attempting WINE+Diablo 3.

daemhan;n7928910 said:
It would take a bit of setup, but if your *nix setup supports VBox with hardware passthrough, and your system can handle it, it's possible to play pretty much anything in *nix. A friend who refuses to dual-boot does this for all his games. Could be a solution until such time there's native support for it, if there ever is. Time consuming though, and you need a system capable of throwing a lot of resources at it without affecting the base OS.

People who refuse to dual boot can do it because they aren't interested in using Windows, VM or not.

Riven-Twain;n7930930 said:
Well, hello, Gilrond-i-Virdan ! I was rather wondering when we'd be seeing you here.

Since I'm not playing Gwent (didn't even play TW3 yet), I've practically never visited this section of the forum, but I discovered this thread indirectly, through other Linux users taking interest in TW3 for Linux thread :)

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n7930950 said:
I discovered this thread indirectly, through other Linux users taking interest in TW3 for Linux thread
Always interesting where these things can lead. Anyway, cheers!

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n7930920 said:
People who refuse to dual boot can do it because they aren't interested in using Windows, VM or not.

That friend uses Windows inside that VM for more than he uses *nix for on a regular basis. He just prefers to not have to go back and forth so he can keep certain processes running in *nix all the time and in windows all the time. It was a solution to have both all at once without having to have two computers running at the same time or rely on remote server space to get certain things done.

Gwent for GNU/Linux

I'd like to play Gwent: The Witcher Card Game.

I suggest CD Project RED making a native version for GNU/Linux platform.

Why is there no Gwent and Witcher 3 for GNU/Linux?

Well, I have asked already on the forums about a Linux version for Gwent ''standalone''. But there is no official words about it.
On the Witcher 3 games it's a weird story, multiple times it seemed that Witcher 3 was on it's way to linux (it appeared on multiple steam-os related sales) but there are no information.

Personally I think they could port Gwent themselves since they're using unity and should not be too hard (but only when gwent is fully released, like they will do with ps4, because doing too many things at once is not the best choice most of the times), And since they're now working on Cyberpunk 2077 (And I hope they will bring also that to Linux), give "The Witcher 3 game of the year edition" to Feral for the port, Feral has already ported many games to Linux and they have always done a wonderful job.

Last edited:
Have CD Projekt RED talked anything about GNU/Linux this year?
Do I need to install GOG Galaxy to be able to play Gwent?

Tungdilboindil;n7985090 said:
And since they're now working on Cyberpunk 2077 (And I hope they will bring also that to Linux), give "The Witcher 3 game of the year edition" to Feral for the port, Feral has already ported many games to Linux and they have always done a wonderful job.
It's a possibility.

4RM3D;n7985110 said:
Why is there no <insert random Windows game> for Linux? Heck, why does Windows 10 have such a huge monopoly? I don't like it either.
Politics.

4RM3D;n7985110 said:
And as Tungdilboindil pointed out, (s)he already made a thread about it here and an official reply here.
Thanks.

archmage2017;n7994490 said:
Do I need to install GOG Galaxy to be able to play Gwent?
At this point in time, yes, I've managed to install it on ubuntu 16.04 with wine 2.0 and I've installed Gwent but after a few seconds from the launch it freezes (although the background music keeps playing).

as the beta was released maybe there is some news regarding this? Seems like something like a card game shouldn't require that much effort to port compared to the scale of Witcher 3

I have been able to get this working on Wine 2.8 staging. Install GOG Galaxy, install Gwent (just ignore the errors, it should eventually install).

I've been able to play games, so it definitely works, and though a few textures are broken it otherwise works fine.

A native port would be lovely though.

When can we expect a native linux version of the game?

I just want to know if there is at least some thought of building a native linux release, I'm very interested in this XD

X4ndrius;n9508771 said:
We need a native linux version. Why you ignore that platform?

I think Gwent depends on their Galaxy services, and they still don't even support it for other games on GOG. In fact it caused a number of Linux games to miss GOG releases. So requesting Gwent for Linux is pointless until they'll make Galaxy for Linux first. And apparently GOG now consider it low priority.

Top Bottom