List of cards that no one plays but are interesting...

+
I noticed people tend to repeatedly Ask The Dev that there are a lot of cards too weak to be played, and they could go on and go on, listing them.... So do it! List them instead of saying you could. Devs changed a lot of cards for good in the latest patch so I'm pretty happy.

I don't remember any recent thread discussing all of such cards, except for rrc's Scoia thread.

Of course reducing provision cost is not a remedy for everything; it's not a magic want that makes a card playable. But in some cases it can turn eg. a 4 gold+6silver terrible deck into an OK 1 gold+11 silver deck.

There are a few more that could be improved, but which exactly?
categories:
1. OP autoinclude (not in this thread);
2. good playable;
3. somehow playable (but not good enough for ladder); -> this thread
4. not playable (never seen anyone risking them). -> this thread
--The reason for 3/4 is often lack of synergies(cards) but also changes to Gwent without changing these cards. OR existing synergies are tier 3 (very weak).
There are some extremaly situational cards (Imo it's possible to make a good situational card....).
There are a lot of cards that can potentialy make a NEW, good tier 2 deck, but they need a big change Plus one+ more card for the deck synergy.

• Triss, Yennefer (Reveal) -- average card power is 4, so these cards are designed to do 3+4=7 points, but have 9 provisions. Chance for revealing a 5hp is similar to 3, 6 - 2 etc. so to actually make over 7 value of them, you need a synergy, and for now only Nilfgaard does have "place on top".
    I bring this topic up, because of a possible Eredin Reveal deck, with Naglaffar. (sorry for misspeling names).

Reveal's been nerfed; 6hp cards nerfed to 5hp. But no change to Triss,Yen.
    -- suggestion: maximum 8 provision cost...(I'd vote even7) ...not9....

• Yennefer Invocation 10 provision(place a card at top of owner's deck) -- strongest synergy with Cantarella. Aside of that, a Big Monster would need to be heavily hit - then tossing him back and revealing for 12 pts would make sense. Very little use, too risky to actualy be playable, and you need Cantarella in your hand to make decent points.
    Tossing 12hp card to the deck to reveal it is pointless because you'd make -12 pts while playing Invocation...

/edit. After further consideration, I gotta say it's quite tricky. SK(5+) and ST(1+) and NG(4+) do have cards that can use cards from the deck. But NR(0+) and MO(0+) has 0 or if you count... Tactic? can't think of anything else... it would be more than 0. So Invocation played round 1,2 is always almost pointless (NOT worth 10 provisions unless on self AND opponent made a misstake like in Resilence; or on opponent's ENGINE...) and plaing it round 3 on the opponent would work as Korathi Heatwave against MO and NR if I understand all the cards right, and if I don't forget anything. Any other usage, on a Big Monster that got hurt which almost never happens...

/. With 9 provisions it would be slightly more than Resilence as better range of usage, but anyhow worse than Call of the Forest as it's a neutral not faction specific. It would be bad against SK and ST (because discard; call of the forest, are autoinclude) and good against MO, NR; and good/bad v NG depending if opponent autoincluded Albrich. So if all factions had cards that can call units from the deck, 10 provisions would be too high in my opinion.

I think that in some cases, these cards' creator had a decent idea, but could create too few cards/ other of his synergies were not allowed by some head designer.
    -- suggestion: 10 provision -> 9, or more cards that could order cards in deck or play the top card.

• Angouleme -- all arfifacts's been severly nerfed, but this card stayed unchanged (there's been a change once but I didn't understand it's purpose... it could even be a nerf!)
    It has 11 provisions now and plays a RANDOM artifact, so first an opponent must have one...
    -- suggestion: this cards needs a rework.... thoughts?

• Triss: Telekinesis -- well it had a good use to replay Golden Froth 13 provisions. Now after these changes, Triss remained unchanged.
    Bronze special cards needs to be carefuly looked at. I haven't seen anyone pissing opponents off by using Epidemics recently 9 prov and Triss 3hp might be the lowest anyways...
    Possible use on 8 provisions:
    Epidemics for killing 3 body units (because Triss has 3hp) but I doubt it's worth it.
    Replay NG alchemy to get another Slave Infantry, so you get 3+4+2 (max, used on 1hp ->5hp unit) value, with condition that... ...SI on board, complex long combo to 11val max, with Vermende..
    Lacerate seems to be only viable option...
    -- suggestion: severly reduce provision cost... 11->8.

aside of that, with Mulligan change, Edict 12prov become somehow useless, unless someone used eg. 10x4 prov cards (I mean, +no thinning cards) to discard them and draw the needed card using Edict (no thinning, big chance not to draw the needed card).

• 10: Barnaba -> handbuff 3x2, 3hp, 10or9prov; Dandelion(Vainglory) too situational.

Morvudd(more beast cards), Insegrim Council, Ermion(nefr to Froth but no change for Ermoin), Colossial Ifrit(big cooldown, low HP. Use in Greatswords deck), Iris' Companions(as Swim's shown, it kept discarding his 14+value cards heh) -- (they are somehow playable, but good enough? I don't think so)

Keira Metz - I'm not deep in Northen Realms, but may this card be somehow playable only? Dudu here as well..?
    Whisperess - Tribute - in recent changes, some Organic tags were removed. Maybe expansion will bring good organic cards for her. Buf ror now Whisperring Hillock deck is not very good...

• 9: Olgierd, Cynthia, Bekker's Rockslide, - 4rd category :(complete rework or a big change...
    John Natalis -- well... 9 provisions and just zeal. I've seen him being played, but he's kinda too weak. Remove "melee" condition?(might be too op thenxd)
    Marching Orders 9prov for playing lowest??nope.(sure kind-of Edict, but what value lowest unit does and what a choosen gold), Stirlard Fits Osterlen (agent who sets opp's highest to 1): prov 9->8?., Stegobor: prov 9->8?.,
    Xarthisius 9->8? (recently 6hp units nefred to 5, so for 9 prov you get an average of 4+4) - but he's ok.(even though no one plays him)
    Wolfsbane - after all the nertfs, I haven't seen anyone playing it. (Crah would need either +1 boost engine or some more self hit cards). Also Spear nerfed (fine) but Wolfsbane unchanged.

• 8: Holger Blackhand- - Ship deck is too weak now... With 1 more card and him reworked, there might be a potential... Sth with movement...
    Sile de Tansavile (in theory OK but never seen any) --> this card doesn't have Charges. It has 1 order and 1 deploy, but 0 charges.
    Odrin (adds 1 charge to all units) -- never seen him played. The thing with NR is that most engines are quickly removed, so he usually adds 1 or 2 charges for 8 provisions...
    Blueboy Lugos -- he's OK but doesn't have enough cards for synergies imo...
    Barclay Els (and dwarf cards in general) -- yep 5hp would be nice. FullDwarf deck doesn't look very good in general.

Resilence (special card): in theory this is a good card. Swim used it to stack Immune on his Slyzard. But if you think about it,
    a) opponent passed on 6 cards in round 1 so you can win the round and still put a resilence on a unit. But then in round 2, opp has 9, you 7, so you won't play with carried over card anyways and he'll best it in 2 moves for sure
    b) on a good engine or "high-strength" card. But enigne must survive this long without Immune, and strong card... 12 value for 15 prov, another 12 for 8 prov carried over using Resilence. Makes 24 for 23. Can't consume using Ozzrel, or Crone. Main reason for Resilence being 8 provision I think was Big Speartrip. No synergies there. Also Big Monsters were nerfed. I think this card has a big potential (no need to replay an important card using Resurection or Freya's Blessing), but 8 is a bit too much, so there I'd opt for 7 provisions. But this time it might be a very subjective opinion of mine...
    --suggestion: 8->7 prov cost

-> 8 reworks: (aside of Angouleme, ...)
    Gaskoon - rewoooork kek XD
    Falibor (kills an unit with charges) -- very situational, as Dandelion...
    Lambert Swordmaster - there's been plenty of suggestions over the course of years... Who'd risk this 0.001% for him to actually be useful?
    Mandrake (reset a unit) what's the difference between this 8 prov and a 4prov one? It can give back Immunity or what? Either too few Purify etc cards, or it needs a complete rework. Maybe some synergy with Alchemy...

Cards below 8've been adjusted many times and I think they are overally fine now. Except for Serpent Trap - but in this case I think that Devs read the suggestion but decided not to change it. //edit. actually it can be flipped on demand now, no? Thanks!
    (also it's possible I might be blind to have overlooked a change).
    The cards I didn't mention are imo ok-fine-playable (there might be a theoretical usage)(even if possible deck merely low-tier2), but I might have overlooked some.
    I'm not mentioning mill Nilfgaard rng for 6 provisions as even though design annoying, they are rather 'good' in terms of usefullness from NG point of view.

Last edited:
I might go over the cards later on to add some, but from the top of my head i can mention the runestones - I doubt i ever saw anyone play one outside the arena. Perhaps decreasing provision cost on those would make them worth to take the risk, but i doubt even that will help.

I realize that developers need to look at all the cards and make a provision change at once, not every month we have changes that always change the goal and all decks - changes are good but stability is needed!

Just look at the cost of provision and the effects of the letters - ex. now artifact has only 4 loads and 7 supply, is -3 for example.

It's a simple exercise, but it needs to be done!

Here is my list of hidden, extremely rarely used cards:

-Vattier: can only be played if immune; with 3 life just too weak against removal;
-Villentredenmirthy: 5 life without armor and two turns to play around him ist just pathetic
-Angouleme: see above
-Merigolds Hailstorm + Manticor Venom: nobody uses them, but potentialy valuable in a bloodlust deck?
-Yennefers Invocation: in a monster-meta some kind of useful but under normal circumstances just too expensice
-Regis: is dead; even if you play an order deck, he is too situational
-Keira Metz: her ability is just in the wrong faction; could be much better in SC or SK
-Dudu: see Yennefers Inv.
-Marching Orders: see above
-Saskia: at least she needs Zeal or Deploy
-Lambert, Swordmaster: he should get another ability
-Sile: see above
-Ceallach: hm, don`t know about the thinking process that went into his ability but it`s realy worthless....

But in general its good too see that realy many cards can be played. Good job and I hope the exp. will be a great :)

As for the reworks, I think there's a big idea-base... in Beta. Even though myself I haven't played much beta and mainly seen just some videos, I noticed it was completely different and LOTS of decks/plays are LOST... for evaa.
So even if player's ideas are too risky from Designer's point of view, just go and grab them ideas from beta, hehe.

What I like the most while watching videos from the ancient times, is when you know what's in your deck and you play a card that allows you choose from many cards that allows you play some other card from your deck, so in result often you have many options - for example including artifact removal in the deck would make sense in this case, because you could play it in a big combo or not.
Another thing about it is, that if you screwed sth up or didn't know the cards in your deck, you'd end up playing not the card you wanted, or with just 50% chance -- it's like playing Prince Vilem to play Vernon Roche spy in Homecoming :)

First off, I'd discuss Angloueme rework, a few thoughts...
1) a complete change to make her a boss of a pure Bandit deck with Bandit synergies. Draining power, stealing resources (artifacts, special cards), changing cards in hand (Nilfgaard atm changes cards in deck mainly..), Bloodthirst, Ambushes, being tossed back to the deck (a bandit appears, boom, disappears)

2) steal an artifact play a copy of opp's artifact OR create a random artifact if he doesn't have any. But this one is rather obvious and not as much interesting...

3) If not a bandit synergies, at least Human synergies... even ST has some human allies...
eg. 3 abilities: a) deploy: play a random bandit from your deck. b)after 2 turns flips over and Ambush: play spawn a random choosen artifact from opponent's deck. c) Deathwish: boost a human ally in your hand by 2. --> this way problem of artifacts and artifact removal could be improved...
eg. each time artifact is played, boost a random human ally...

4) something like, give 1 charge to all artifacts... but am not sure if that's cool...

5) how about a new mechanics for a bandit:
"Each time you play this card, but only if you win the entire match, you recieve the Ore that equals amount of GG reward"

Last edited:
Good grief, I might have forgotten about some...
*no one's ever used this >>Siren who boosts a deathwish unit by 3<<... Probably because you kill deathwish units instead of boosting them... Waste of 1 provision. This unit played a Blood Moon in Beta from what I remember...
*And this guy Thaler, charges are mainly a NR thing right?

Suggestion for Angouleme :

Body 2, Provision 12
Melee : play a random artifact from your deck.
Ranged : spawn and play a random artifact from your opponent deck.

It would be a slighty different version of Avallac'h, with more randomness, but still more consistent than the current version.

Top Bottom