List of changes and cut content from the May 2014 leaks (copied from Reddit)

+
The very idea of having choices that are canon and choices that aren't is dumb in a game like TW3, so i don't know what youre talking about. They probably don't even know what TW4 is going to be. All choices are canon, your canon and should affect the game world of next game in some way, if its relevant.

Have you played the other two games? Choices we make have been disregarded already in each following sequel (Shani, Iorveth, etc.) to follow a "canon" set by the developers. I don't see why the transition from 3 to 4 would be different (I'd like it to be, don't get me wrong).

Storybook- Wild Hunt attacks Novigrad
Storybook- Geralt goes for Undvik for Ciri

So there were more stories about the Wild Hunt...

We have in-game quests involving Imlerith and Ge'els, but where is the "in search of Caranthir" quest?! Caranthir, who was the only faceless general among the wild hunt, and supposedly the one person who could move the hunt through worlds. According to the Guide, we have him to thank for every time some wild hunt warriors popped out of a portal, so shouldn't neutralizing Caranthir be THE top priority? Without him, the hunt would be stuck in the world of Aen Elle, unless there were some elven sages to map out pre-existing portals which seemed to only open on specific times for a limit period, and that would greatly restrict the hunt's mobility and possibly inflict casualties every time the hunt travelled (regarding worlds in blizzard and poisonous gas and what not).

Let's not get on a high horse, every Witcher game has had glaring issues. Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 still do, in fact.

Not in terms of story, nope they didn't. There are valid complaints about those games certainly, but they don't come anywhere close to comparing to the problems TW3 has in it's narrative.

The very idea of having choices that are canon and choices that aren't is dumb in a game like TW3, so i don't know what youre talking about. They probably don't even know what TW4 is going to be. All choices are canon, your canon and should affect the game world of next game in some way, if its relevant.

Is this your first Witcher game? CDPR has always either sidelined or outright rectcon'd away choices between games. For example you are always with Triss in Witcher 2, regardless of whether you exposed the Lodge and the Conclave was reestablished in Witcher 2, Radovid always starts Witch Hunts, Anais never plays an important role, Iorveth and Saskia don't even show up, etc. They're going to canonize some stuff when they move forward, it's what they've always done.

-the bestiary system would be a much better system if it was implemented like in W1 & W2
-Ioverth or Roche supports would be a great impact in storyline for act 2, add it with Geralt able to recruit Letho or not make it possibly turns to a new secondary quest
-those flashback scenes about wild hunt generals could make the third act so much better, this also might could lead to a more deeper Eredin characterization with a couple of quests that involve geralt - Ciri - Eredin relations.
-The Wild Hunt was going to attack Novigrad. Wow, this is definitely a major changing, Wild hunt being a major threat to humanity. I am very disappointed that CDPR change or cut this scenario. Maybe this is why it feels like the third act wasn't complete and a little bit of rush.

Overall these changing on characters and storyline could easily make the main quest storyline span into 4 or 5 acts. again I was a little bit disappointed with this despite I really love W3, my GOTY choice, and basically one of the best game I've ever played

Not in terms of story, nope they didn't. There are valid complaints about those games certainly, but they don't come anywhere close to comparing to the problems TW3 has in it's narrative.
Sorry, but Witcher 3's story is still better than 99% of video-game stories. Sure, Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 surpass it in some areas (and each in unique areas.) But the story is still great. Why can't you take it on its on terms instead of insisting it sucks because it didn't exceed everything you liked in Witcher 1 and Witcher 2?

Sorry, but Witcher 3's story is still better than 99% of video-game stories. Sure, Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 surpass it in some areas (and each in unique areas.) But the story is still great. Why can't you take it on its on terms instead of insisting it sucks because it didn't exceed everything you liked in Witcher 1 and Witcher 2?

I'd ask why is it so hard to accept that the story of TW3 has a good deal of issues? Why is it that on every bloody video game forum fans refuse to acknowledge this situation? Confirmation bias? Refusal to admit that the game you spent your time on is less then perfect?

In any case your point is moot as CDPR themselves are well aware of the issues in the game on a story level based on the dev posts in the politics thread, they know these issues exist and they will fix them. Whether or not higher ups in the company give them the resources to do so remains to be seen, but the writers certainly don't share your viewpoint.

I'm seeing once again forum discussions turning into flame wars and insults again and I'm not gonna fall down that pit so I'll eave on the note that: The more you argue that the story is "good enough" the less of an actual chance that it will be improved, and if you're fine with that then good for you, if not I'd reconsider that attitude towards the story problems.

"Lambert was going to be able to die at Kaer Morhen. There is mention of his funeral pyre alongside Vesemir’s in the asset list. "
I wondered why Vesemir has been placed on the edge of the pyre, I guess that was the spot for Lambert.

There were a few interesting things cut out, especially some mini games. KOTOR 2 got a restoration mod, maybe W3 can get an official download for that? Please... ? ;)

Yeah compared to most video games TW3 still has a good story but it just pales in comparison to TW2

Is this your first Witcher game? CDPR has always either sidelined or outright rectcon'd away choices between games. For example you are always with Triss in Witcher 2, regardless of whether you exposed the Lodge and the Conclave was reestablished in Witcher 2, Radovid always starts Witch Hunts, Anais never plays an important role, Iorveth and Saskia don't even show up, etc. They're going to canonize some stuff when they move forward, it's what they've always done.

"this is what they've always done" - done it only twice, can't really call it a trend or something they will keep doing nor should they. Its one of the biggest complaints how TW2 choices aren't properly respected in TW3 or affect the game's world, and they never said that they are consciously choosing what is canon and what isn't and making player's choices in many cases irrelevant or not matter or retconning them.

It's also a practice players should be against and not support dev in such design decisions. There is no canon in TW3 as of yet, that's for sure. If TW4 comes out and they decide that one choice is canon because of budget or time reasons or what not, then you could say "well they made X choice canon, sigh", but right now there is no choice that is predetermined to be canon, and from a player's perspective all of them should be canon and respected in the next game, whatever it might be.

Again, most of us are not fans of how as you say Iorveth and Saskia didn't show up etc, but i totally think the way they did it going from TW1 > TW2 is reasonable, since it was a low budget game and for them experimental - when they made it they didn't know if they gonna make another game, didn't really look that far ahead. And not many people played TW1. I mean even Dijkstra was in TW1.

And even in TW3 I don't think they canonized specific choices necessarily (regarding tw2), they simply ignored or didn't put the appropriate dialogue/events to represent certain choices for budget or time or design reasons. Remember, Iorveth was originally planned to be in the game and was part of the cut content.

[*]The Wild Hunt was going to attack Novigrad. This was supposed to happen after the attack on Kaer Morhen. It's safe to say that this was replaced with the events on Skellige. There was also work being done on a destroyed main square in Novigrad, perhaps remnants of when the Wild hunt was supposed to attack there.

Wow, I think Novigrad would have been a far more interesting and epic place to have the final battle than Skellige. Still wouldn't have topped the Battle at Kaer Morhen though. That was so fucking awesome.
Thanks for posting this!

Wow, I think Novigrad would have been a far more interesting and epic place to have the final battle than Skellige. Still wouldn't have topped the Battle at Kaer Morhen though. That was so fucking awesome.
Thanks for posting this!

it was awesome just not from gameplay perspective (for me anyway) , you literally didn't really have to fight anything - you could, but didn't need to. It was go close portal A, B, C (you can ignore/run away/roll away from monsters), pull lever, close portal X, Y, Z, Go here, that was all really.

I am glad they did not go with either of the Nilfgaardian endings but went for slight variations. While it might be nice to know if/who Ciri marries as empress, leaving it open makes it possible for everybody to imagine whatever they want. And Emhyr going mad would just have felt like a re-hash of the Radovid development.

Top Bottom