List of changes and cut content from the May 2014 leaks (copied from Reddit)

+
The Wild Hunt attacking Novigrad... now that would have been awesome and at the same time could be delicate since it means exposing the Wild Hunt to a huge amount of people, bringing it to the attention of the rulers, and so on. That could change a lot of things in the game's plot.
I can also imagine the FPS drop for that ^_^

The Wild Hunt attacking Novigrad... now that would have been awesome and at the same time could be delicate since it means exposing the Wild Hunt to a huge amount of people, bringing it to the attention of the rulers, and so on. That could change a lot of things in the game's plot.
I can also imagine the FPS drop for that ^_^

But above all... It would totally be epic...

An interesting read, if a bit inconclusive. However these are not at all the gargantuan cuts that I expected were lost from conception to final product in Witcher 3.

Seems to me like they already agreed on the overall story and even the Frost before they even made these cuts. While the Novigrad fight could have provided an opportunity to flesh out Eredin a bit more, I'm not really sure if it would have been enough. I don't mean 'enough' in terms of quantity but in terms of quality. Either way, my takeaway is that even with some of these elements included we would still be pointing out many of the inconsistencies and weaknesses in the overall plot, which is a shame.

I´m most upset about Iorveth and Síle.

Wild Hunt attacking Novigrad also sounds interesting and the Sabbath should have had more brutal/disturbing elements.

Very interesting info : )

There was going to be a hidden passage way in the garden in Vizima. Where it would lead to is not specified. EDIT: Apparently this is in the game. I just never found it.
Maybe it is passage where we can found De Wett letter and some stuff

Apart from the cut content regarding the Wild Hunt and Lodge characters, I don't see a huge problem with any of these changes. Sound a lot like standard game development cuts, changes and iterations to me.

I would love to hear some developer commentary on the game's final state though, especially in light of how much of a critical successful it was. Probably much too early for something like that though.

[*]A model for Iorveth was worked on and he was set to appear in Novigrad, along with other Scoia'tael, in a basement under a house in the nonhuman district. Geralt would see him playing his flute, using the same music from TW2, while sitting next to an Elven portal. Character descriptions for both Iorveth and Isengrim Faoiltiarna were also going to appear in the preliminary Prima guide. Why they were cut from the game is unknown, put it's not completely out there to suspect that either Iorveth or Roche would've helped you during the Battle at Kaer Morhen, depending on your Witcher 2 choices.

:(

I really hope they find time to add Iorveth into one of the expansions or a DLC.

I can't believe they cut Iorveth I mean I can deal with the other things (still disappointing of course) but cutting Iorveth and making Roche canon is just wrong

Last edited:
:(

I really hope they find time to add Iorveth into one of the expansions or a DLC.

I agree, for me, even though I consider Roche a bro, how the interactions between the elf and the witcher evolve is one of the great points of W2. From the infamous dialogue option in act 1 which led to a reload, to their dialogue while climbing the ruins in the last part if you cure Saskia.

In fact, I miss the whole Scoia'tael angle that was so prevalent in the previous games.

A lot of things have to be cut/changed because they don't turn out to be 'good enough' or 'not worth the effort' to fix/polish/reiterate. Same way a lot of things sound good on paper but the end result may not turn out great. This happens to every game, bar none - zero.

True, that was also the case with TW2 and Dol Blathana....and yet here's the issue with the entire situation.

TW1 as it was by default, baring gameplay issues, bugs, glitches etc had a great story that felt complete and well told. The EE focused on voice acting, bug fixing and so on.

TW2, as it was by default, was a phenomenal story with deep nuances, complexities and superb characters, by far away one of the very best in video gaming history. There were certain issues with Shani, the dead assassin from TW1, Yaevinn that never got resolved but the VAST majority of the game was amazing. The EE fixed the lack of gameplay in Act 3 and gave us some good cinematics showing what happened but they weren't really needed despite being nice.

TW3 is steaming pile that has massive story, gameplay, audio ( footsteps anyone? ) and graphics issues ( not talking about downgrade here, but pop-in, hairworks performance ). These issues are very detrimental as a whole. Whereas with previous witcher games I could point to the story and tell people: Just ignore everything else and enjoy that I can't do it here because the story, once you get past the cinematics, the emotions, facial animations etc. has a good ideal of issues.

Last edited:
I agree, for me, even though I consider Roche a bro, how the interactions between the elf and the witcher evolve is one of the great points of W2. From the infamous dialogue option in act 1 which led to a reload, to their dialogue while climbing the ruins in the last part if you cure Saskia.

In fact, I miss the whole Scoia'tael angle that was so prevalent in the previous games.

this, the last moment and the smile he gave geralt, thats when i thought bro for life. i can live with all the cuts, but not my favorite bro elf :(

Videogame development 101.

A lot of things have to be cut/changed because they don't turn out to be 'good enough' or 'not worth the effort' to fix/polish/reiterate. Same way a lot of things sound good on paper but the end result may not turn out great. This happens to every game, bar none - zero.
On top of that, I remember e-sports icon "Day[9]" giving a lecture where he said virtually every video-game gets 80% through the development time and then realizes they've only made 50% of their intended content. Then they release a beta and scramble together what they have made into something resembling a final product.

Rarely to games implement every feature they wanted to at launch. That's what expansion packs are for.

---------- Updated at 11:04 PM ----------

TW3 is steaming pile that has massive story, gameplay, audio ( footsteps anyone? ) and graphics issues ( not talking about downgrade here, but pop-in, hairworks performance ). These issues are very detrimental as a whole. Whereas with previous witcher games I could point to the story and tell people: Just ignore everything else and enjoy that I can't do it here because the story, once you get past the cinematics, the emotions, facial animations etc. has a good ideal of issues.
Let's not get on a high horse, every Witcher game has had glaring issues. Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 still do, in fact.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen the actual leaked files? Apparently some choices were flagged as canon for Witcher 4 and I'm curious to know which ones. I'm betting Witcher Ciri is canon.

Shame about the cut content for the Lodge and the Hunt. Still enjoyed the game but those two could've used more fleshing out.

Has anyone seen the actual leaked files? Apparently some choices were flagged as canon for Witcher 4 and I'm curious to know which ones. I'm betting Witcher Ciri is canon.

Shame about the cut content for the Lodge and the Hunt. Still enjoyed the game but those two could've used more fleshing out.

The very idea of having choices that are canon and choices that aren't is dumb in a game like TW3, so i don't know what youre talking about. They probably don't even know what TW4 is going to be. All choices are canon, your canon and should affect the game world of next game in some way, if its relevant.

Top Bottom