"Living Breathing Ecosystem"

+
The thing is the game actually does less then Skyrim. Skyrim did a fairly good job at spawning random enemies in the world. The wildlife and bandits don't feel like they are just there to be an obstacle to you and having some random lines spread across all people of a cerain type of person also works better overall. The arrow to the knee line was just one that was poorly chosen for such a line but in general the system is better than hearing for the 5000 time that your smith of choice is adding orments because he always talks about it when you come near him.

people at least somewhat reacting to weather would not be that hard. A system of certain groups of people and creatures fighting each other should also not be that hard but the hard part would be spawning them in a way that they come in contact often enough but that the results still stay predictable enough.

Also Skyrim had some random events you could encounter on tje road. They were small enough so that missing them would nit be all that bad but interesting enough to ad more variety
to the world.

There is also a war going on but you never see any figbts between Redenian and Nilfgardian forces. There was a mod for Skyrim that added great war encounters in the appropriate areas. The performance was shit but that seems to be mai ly because of the horrible scripting engine of Skyrim.

You Don't Say! Pulling my Nicholas Cage impression.

Seriously in Novigard there are bunch of random encounter i've exp even different in my 1st and miss some.
In Novigard bandit randomly spawn in the streets. There are also random event like the corpse guy thinking he is immune w/ the plague, ghost lady, some monster contract interacting the environment, post Red Baron quest, Baron's men started looting in the Crow Perch and you could get involve w/ the particular event and etc.

Personally Witcher3 have the best quest and random encounter in 2015 games so far. Even the previous RPG cannot compete w/ there Quest gameplay mechanics.

Vanilla Skyrim is not that great. Creation Kit is great. Thanks to it, skyrim is still one of the most played games on steam. What we really need is modding tools. I'm afraid Witcher 3 hype will die soon.

You Don't Say! Pulling my Nicholas Cage impression.

Seriously in Novigard there are bunch of random encounter i've exp even different in my 1st and miss some.
In Novigard bandit randomly spawn in the streets. There are also random event like the corpse guy thinking he is immune w/ the plague, ghost lady, some monster contract interacting the environment, post Red Baron quest, Baron's men started looting in the Crow Perch and you could get involve w/ the particular event and etc.

Personally Witcher3 have the best quest and random encounter in 2015 games so far. Even the previous RPG cannot compete w/ there Quest gameplay mechanics.

None of those are random. They all spawn and the same place. The thing that is random is that they either spasn or don't.

I compare it to skyrim because CDPR the game will be like Skyrim with a living breathing eco System but the world is even more static not less and Skyrim isn't all that great at all those things to begin with.

I agree that good modding tools will help the game a lot. and i am certain that cdpr will learn from the witcher 2 mistakes and create great tools.
Dont forget that skyrim modding tools ware released about 3 months after the game launched.

i started a new playthrue of the game and i decided to look for random encounters, currently i am in white orchid, i seen wolves killing npc, chasing wiled horses, harassing remote settlements, nekkers chasing a lonely npc walking close by, geralt got kicked by a scared horse. i will keep looking for those in other maps.
seems like there are encounters and i think we miss a lot of them.

None of those are random. They all spawn and the same place. The thing that is random is that they either spasn or don't.

I compare it to skyrim because CDPR the game will be like Skyrim with a living breathing eco System but the world is even more static not less and Skyrim isn't all that great at all those things to begin with.

Even Skyrim random encounter spawn the same location don't sugar coat it. Cicero freaking cart still there even after you help him only difference he killed a npc. In witcher3 when you help someone it will change.

W3 monster contract totally interact the world. Like hell sometimes i don't read the notice board. Then a monster contract appeared in my journal due i just met a noonwraith.

After finishing this awesome game I'm ok with paying for the Expansion Pass for 2 additional story DLCs.

I would absolutely throw my money on the screen if there was a DLC providing more dynamic events in the world. :)

I appreciated that monster levels are not scaling up to the player, but some random and dynamic encounters could be triggered after certain xp levels, potentially making wandering across lower difficulty areas a bit more interesting. Things like sending assassins after player after certain point in the story or after a side quest would be just one idea on how to make visiting older zones more lively. I don't think that a full simulation would be essential, it could actually cause some unexpected problems, but a few extra random scripted encounters/side quests would be always welcome. :)

It shouldn't be that difficult to bring some of the enhanced visuals and additional world interactivity into the game since they surely spent some tome developing it already. Hopefully not all devs were delegated to Cyberpunk right away and someone maybe look into it.

Even Skyrim random encounter spawn the same location don't sugar coat it. Cicero freaking cart still there even after you help him only difference he killed a npc. In witcher3 when you help someone it will change.

W3 monster contract totally interact the world. Like hell sometimes i don't read the notice board. Then a monster contract appeared in my journal due i just met a noonwraith.

Well maybe it appeared so with Skyrim because I didn't play that one so much but the monster spawn points in Witcher 3 are definitely painfully artificial.

Also I wouldn't really say the contracts interact with the world. They are just added to your questlog if they weren't there before if you find the monster of that contract.

I think they already delivered what they promised as best they can or what they think is best enough, but the problem is WE WANT MORE xD

They delivered Living Breathing Ecosystem as they called and meant it to be, but we want MORE Living Breathing Ecosystem.
They delivered great graphics as they meant it to be, but we want BETTER THAN GREAT graphics.
They delivered 80 monster types as they promised, but we want 1000 monster types.
They delivered a gigantic world bigger than any game of the same genre, but we want A SUPER GIGANTIC world.
and so on.

You are absolutely right, in my eyes at least; I want more and CDPR delivered, to an extent, nearly everything they promised us. I am so excited CDPR had the intelligence to announce the two expacs almost immediately, that does things to player morale that I cannot hope to put to words without using pages. I'll just say they have harnessed the concept of 'hope' and applied it to gaming anticipation in its entirety.

Yeah, like I said I think the features and systems are there it just needs some bug fixing, some balancing, and there should be MORE of it, lol.

In Novigard bandit randomly spawn in the streets.

I'm going to expound on that a b... er, a lot... a really lot lot. I agree the "dynamics" just aren't there and include hypotheticals and suggestions. If you don't want to read a lot, read the bold points and see if you want to read the rest.

When companies use "dynamic", and "living, breathing", they're using a specific words, the implications of which are fully known to them, and their marketing department.

Dynamic... living... breathing... These words conjure images of things happening that aren't looped... specifically, they point to a structure that allows NPCs, critters and the like to change their behaviour and routines based on input. It was even said during development [and NEVER walked back AFAIK] that area populations would change and be different based upon overall dynamics, like predator/prey effects.

What we actually have is a majority of spawn locations that are static. Not a huge deal... But the next part makes it problematic.

Death [to NPCs and Monsters] has NO meaningful impact to the world. Understandable from a quest design perspective, but not so dynamic. Enemy dies, at some point, random replacement NPC spawns in unseen and takes up a set of behaviours.

Kill X bandits, random people appear from nowhere and move into the area. An attempt at the dynamics that was hyped. But there is no dynamic process. It just happens or it doesn't.

Completely random spawns are extremely rare. This is a tough one. The spawn rate of rare monsters... well, is probably intended for a design reason. :D That said, tweaks to the above, and this especially, could have a huge impact.

Let's explore a hypothetical. We'll change the respawn rate for villagers to be slower. Now we're going to tweak the behavior so that monsters can spawn and stalk areas like crookback bog more widely. There are ways to protect certain NPCs, ways to not impact questing... etc... but this is just a basic hypothetical. The result could be dynamic, not spawned in just to happen, but dynamic attacks on villages. Attacks that could have devastating consequences for the inhabitants. Children wandering into the bog because parents are dead, following the trail. Villagers staying indoors, even during the day, because a noonwraith killed poor Old Villager, the redshirt who always sat on the chair greeting folks on the way in.

Another [then I'm done, I swear!] opportunity is the behaviour of thugs in Novigrad/future cities. The behaviour now is strange, completely static... sometimes to the point of the thugs not even moving... and most of the time can be avoided by just walking away. Could basic conditionals be set for the thugs' AI? Could they act as normal NPCs doing their city walks? Imagine a scenario where thugs are NOT immediately named as such. Turn into a back alley and you realize they have other intentions for you! Instead of using set locations for "traps" or "attacks", let the fight unfurl where it is. It would be an entirely different feeling to arriving and traversing Novigrad.

Overall, the game is amazing, and does a lot of things [I think...] better than any game has before. But overall game quality has no bearing on whether specific things promised were delivered. It's important we have a dialogue with developers so we can understand the why of things like this.

CDPR has an amazing track record of continuing to support their titles and even rebuilding them... including dialogue, models, and behaviours. They've also shown us they're still super excited to make more Witcher 3 content. So, CDPR, think about tweaking things and let us know what you think about our opinions and suggestions!

Last edited:
I'm going to expound on that a b... er, a lot... a really lot lot. I agree the "dynamics" just aren't there and include hypotheticals and suggestions. If you don't want to read a lot, read the bold points and see if you want to read the rest.

When companies use "dynamic", and "living, breathing", they're using a specific words, the implications of which are fully known to them, and their marketing department.

Dynamic... living... breathing... These words conjure images of things happening that aren't looped... specifically, they point to a structure that allows NPCs, critters and the like to change their behaviour and routines based on input. It was even said during development [and NEVER walked back AFAIK] that area populations would change and be different based upon overall dynamics, like predator/prey effects.

What we actually have is a majority of spawn locations that are static. Not a huge deal... But the next part makes it problematic.

Death [to NPCs and Monsters] has NO meaningful impact to the world. Understandable from a quest design perspective, but not so dynamic. Enemy dies, at some point, random replacement NPC spawns in unseen and takes up a set of behaviours.

Kill X bandits, random people appear from nowhere and move into the area. An attempt at the dynamics that was hyped. But there is no dynamic process. It just happens or it doesn't.

Completely random spawns are extremely rare. This is a tough one. The spawn rate of rare monsters... well, is probably intended for a design reason. :D That said, tweaks to the above, and this especially, could have a huge impact.

Let's explore a hypothetical. We'll change the respawn rate for villagers to be slower. Now we're going to tweak the behavior so that monsters can spawn and stalk areas like crookback bog more widely. There are ways to protect certain NPCs, ways to not impact questing... etc... but this is just a basic hypothetical. The result could be dynamic, not spawned in just to happen, but dynamic attacks on villages. Attacks that could have devastating consequences for the inhabitants. Children wandering into the bog because parents are dead, following the trail. Villagers staying indoors, even during the day, because a noonwraith killed poor Old Villager, the redshirt who always sat on the chair greeting folks on the way in.

Another [then I'm done, I swear!] opportunity is the behaviour of thugs in Novigrad/future cities. The behaviour now is strange, completely static... sometimes to the point of the thugs not even moving... and most of the time can be avoided by just walking away. Could basic conditionals be set for the thugs' AI? Could they act as normal NPCs doing their city walks? Imagine a scenario where thugs are NOT immediately named as such. Turn into a back alley and you realize they have other intentions for you! Instead of using set locations for "traps" or "attacks", let the fight unfurl where it is. It would be an entirely different feeling to arriving and traversing Novigrad.

Overall, the game is amazing, and does a lot of things [I think...] better than any game has before. But overall game quality has no bearing on whether specific things promised were delivered. It's important we have a dialogue with developers so we can understand the why of things like this.

CDPR has an amazing track record of continuing to support their titles and even rebuilding them... including dialogue, models, and behaviours. They've also shown us they're still super excited to make more Witcher 3 content. So, CDPR, think about tweaking things and let us know what you think about our opinions and suggestions!

i'd love everything you wrote in witcher 3. red point for you

Top Bottom