Load screen scenes - annoying in several ways

+

Guest 3823474

Load screen scenes - annoying in several ways

Here is what happens when I load a game (which I might have to do very often sometimes in order to test stuff that I cannot learn from a game manual or the ingame tutorials):
That animated plot summary starts, then has freezes and studders all over (probably because the loading process burdens the system, which is not uncommon, you know, especially when the HDD is busy), so then I have a studdery animation playing and have to either mash space bar all the time or guess when the loading is finished, since it doesn't tell me when it is, but will just finish the scene, and if I press space in the beginning, it will not accept that, but wants a skip-key to be pressed AFTER the loading process is finished.
And then when that happens, there is a brief flash of background picture, tutorial text and loading procress indicator that apparently was just discarded/painted over by the plot summary animation.

This feels so unrefined. Loading a game already sets a bad mood, which is sad, because the plot summary apparently was meant to do the opposite.

This is just one of many points that make the game feel as if the project totally lacked a proper design director.

this is what happens when I load a game:
the plot summary loads just fine with no hitching or stuttering; then I start to play the game.

I would suggest this is your system or the install.
what system are you playing on?

I have the stuttering of the story loading screen. When i checked my framerate it's capped at 30FPS and it even dropped to 20FPS. For god's sake this is a storyboard cutscene and the framerate is that bad? I hope they fix it. And i'm really happy that in game i get 60FPS most of the time.

I'm pretty sure, from the number of people complaining about what's actually IN the loading screens, that the problems that @Dowlphin and @archaven are having aren't typical. I think you should approach it as a technical issue specific to some people, rather than feedback for something that needs to change.

I'm moving this to the technical section. Could you share more info on your systems please? Are you both using HDD?

Guest 3823474

I'm pretty sure, from the number of people complaining about what's actually IN the loading screens, that the problems that @Dowlphin and @archaven are having aren't typical. I think you should approach it as a technical issue specific to some people, rather than feedback for something that needs to change.

I'm moving this to the technical section. Could you share more info on your systems please? Are you both using HDD?
Yes, half of my issue is technical, the other not.
Regarding the studder, my brother said he had it too but fixed it by overclocking his i7 CPU from 2.6 to 3.8 GHz. I'm not gonna do such a thing.
I have an i5 quadcore 3.4 GHz (it might even have moderate dynamic overclocking active though), run the game from a nice 4 TB high-performance-class harddisk. GPU is nVidia GTX 760. The studder seems to coincide with harddisk LED flashing. It's not the same severity every time, but is never fully fluid. I cen repeatedly load the same savegame over and over and it keeps studdering. Especially in the prologue area. And when I say studder and freezes, I mean the sequence doesn't skip, but animation and voiceover stop momentarily and then continue where they left.

It's no secret that if harddisk loads data as fast as required, this will impact system performance, although the storyboard thingie shouldn't be much of a burden to the system, so this is still strange. (Although - again - I'd much prefer to have a regular loading screen and not having to press space to enter the game world or waste time with nothing.)

---------- Updated at 09:36 PM ----------

Here is a typical loading process for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTOmeyqn6WM

(I pressed space towards the end, otherwise the scene would have continued despite the loading process having finished earlier - which I have no way of telling.)
The prologue plot summary is also used until too late by the way. The one from the prologue still plays when I load a savegame from after I had found Yennefer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom