Lock - Unlock interactions

+
MooshieMooshie;n8654540 said:
Really? When I tried to buff a locked unit with Ambassador nothing happened, it just stayed at the exact same strength. A bug perhaps?

There does seem to be a bug at the moment that the strength of cards are not always properly displayed at times.
I think its something to do with premium cards, but i'm not sure.

LTK

Forum regular
Lim3zer0;n8653970 said:
Lock is card debuff token, and it has 2 effects, one is an on play effect, the other is a passive 'silence' effect.

1) The act of locking will remove any current tokens.
This includes:
Resiliance
Quen

Once tokens are removed, that is it.
You toggle the lock only, not the tokens previously removed.
And that is important because you can actually apply tokens to a locked unit.
If you lock a unit that is already locked and has quen for example, you undo the lock and remove quen.

Note: spying isn't a token

2) Once a unit is locked the card no longer has a passive ability.
That means the card's ability description, it will not prevent a card from being buffed or de-buffed by other cards or effects.
You can buff a locked unit with a card such as swallow potion.
It is just a body on the board with a strength value.
The bolded bit: That is horribly confusing. So "Toggle a unit's Lock" actually means "Repeat the locking effect but the unit loses the 'Locked' graphic"? Does this baffle anyone else?

I tried to replicate the bug where the Ice Giant gets buffed even when it's Locked. Previously, I had Locked my opponent's Ice Giant. I took a Monsters deck into practice and used Fiend to lock my ice Giant and then applied Biting Frost, and it didn't get buffed.

However! In another practice match I played Ice Giant and Biting Frost and then my opponent Locked my Ice Giant with a Fiend. It then lost the +5 boost and when I Unlocked it afterwards, it stayed at 5 power even though Biting Frost was still on the board. Ugh. So much for the rule "Locked units don't lose Boosts". Could anyone even have predicted this would happen?

Should unlocking a locked resilient unit then make it resilient again?

Maybe I am alone on this but I would think that if you unlocked a locked resilient unit that it should then be resilient again. Any other card with an ability regains that ability if it is unlocked (I believe). So is this intended? Should it be that way instead of how it is now?

I'm more annoyed when I lock resilient unit and opponent uses adrenaline rush. Which means that my lock will only serve to 'unlock' the unit instead of removing resilience again.

StrykerxS77x;n8727350 said:
Maybe I am alone on this but I would think that if you unlocked a locked resilient unit that it should then be resilient again. Any other card with an ability regains that ability if it is unlocked (I believe). So is this intended? Should it be that way instead of how it is now?

Resilience is a toggle effect that is toggled on or off by events. So basically he shut it off by locking it. If you unlock it that doesn't turn it back on. Unlocking/Locking is a toggle event in itself for the lock.The cards Resilience will still have to be toggled on again with something like "Adrenaline Rush","Decoy", etc.

Last edited:
krswoodward;n8745150 said:
Resilience is a toggle effect that is toggled on or off by events. So basically he shut it off by locking it. If you unlock it that doesn't turn it back on. Unlocking/Locking is a toggle event in itself for the lock.The cards Resilience will still have to be toggled on again with something like "Adrenaline Rush","Decoy","Cleaver" or"Demirian Shackles" etc.

Cleaver won't give the resilience back. Which is why I made the thread.

I think this confusion regarding resilience comes from the fact that the units that gain resilience upon entering the battlefield are actually tagged "resilient".

This generates a lot of confusion, IMO. If it was named something else, like survivor or some sort of synonym, and then that tag was explained as "gains resilience upon entering the battlefield", then maybe it would become more clear that the resilience itself isn't the ability, but a one time buff applied only when the unit enters the battlefield.

I have yet to encounter any bugs relating to abilities of locked units actually triggering when they shouldn't. And I do believe resilience is supposed to stay this way, resilient units are strong enough as it is, they don't need to be even harder to deal with, IMO.

On the point of locking anot ambush card, kindly clarify whether cleaver would lock and disable the silver ambush card that does 5 dmg when an opponent plays a unit, before the dmg is dealt. I've tried using crypian (?) The 7 strength deal 3 Base or destroy ambush, but the silver ambush card still flips and deals 5 dmg, and my card dealt the 3 to Base strength. Kinda stupid interaction and makes crypIan ability useless

Astavious;n8745740 said:
On the point of locking anot ambush card, kindly clarify whether cleaver would lock and disable the silver ambush card that does 5 dmg when an opponent plays a unit, before the dmg is dealt. I've tried using crypian (?) The 7 strength deal 3 Base or destroy ambush, but the silver ambush card still flips and deals 5 dmg, and my card dealt the 3 to Base strength. Kinda stupid interaction and makes crypIan ability useless

You mean Cyprian, right? Well, his ability only triggers after he enters the battlefield, so all other abilities on the field will trigger too, before his own resolves. Cleaver works the same way, so the effect will be the same.

It isn't useless because you have other ambushes that trigger after 2 turns, or when the opponent passes, for example. Those will effectively lose their abilities to cleaver or die to cyprian before their abilities trigger.

If you wanted to lock that 5dmg dealing ambush without triggering you'd have to use shackles.

Skryba86;n8745680 said:
I think this confusion regarding resilience comes from the fact that the units that gain resilience upon entering the battlefield are actually tagged "resilient".

This generates a lot of confusion, IMO. If it was named something else, like survivor or some sort of synonym, and then that tag was explained as "gains resilience upon entering the battlefield", then maybe it would become more clear that the resilience itself isn't the ability, but a one time buff applied only when the unit enters the battlefield.

I have yet to encounter any bugs relating to abilities of locked units actually triggering when they shouldn't. And I do believe resilience is supposed to stay this way, resilient units are strong enough as it is, they don't need to be even harder to deal with, IMO.

Proposed fix:

All units with Resilience instead gain the text:

Deploy: Gain Resilience.

That should clear up any confusion regarding it and only adds two more words to it, none of which needs to be explained as a new key word.

StrykerxS77x;n8745470 said:
Cleaver won't give the resilience back. Which is why I made the thread.

Sorry I have no clue why i said cleaver and shackles. I posted a lot yesterday and must have run two post together in my head lol. lost train of thought there somehow. Those are both locksand would not affect Resilience. Ignore that and i'll correct the original post.But the rest still apply.

Interaction between lock and resilience

Currently, you can beat resilience trough lock. I disagree that this can be done, as I find it too easy and pretty harmful to that kind of strategy.

My real concern is that even if you unlock your unit, Resilience is still loss. This is basically a real issue and should not work as if.

This is working as intended. Locking halts timer abilities, and removes all tokens - things like Resilience and Quen Shield. Returning the card to your hand and playing it again, or resurrecting the cards, will both restore the tokens.

NatoGreavesy;n8764680 said:
This is working as intended. Locking halts timer abilities, and removes all tokens - things like Resilience and Quen Shield. Returning the card to your hand and playing it again, or resurrecting the cards, will both restore the tokens.

No it doesn't. Resilience is not a triggered ability, or it would be described as "Deploy: gain resilience" (or Turn end: gain resilience, like Wild Hunt Rider) . So it's not a buffed effect (or as you said, tokens) like Quen Shield. It's a lasting effect like Timer. So if unlocking a unit with timer would continue the counting down, so should unlocking a unit with resilience gives resilience back.

Anyway, publishing a complete rule book can solve this problem either way. Now there are no official explanations on the rules (other than those already written down on the card text), so there will be endless arguments about how an ability would work, and how they should work.

QESiriusWolf;n8765080 said:
No it doesn't. Resilience is not a triggered ability, or it would be described as "Deploy: gain resilience" (or Turn end: gain resilience, like Wild Hunt Rider) . So it's not a buffed effect (or as you said, tokens) like Quen Shield. It's a lasting effect like Timer. So if unlocking a unit with timer would continue the counting down, so should unlocking a unit with resilience gives resilience back.

Anyway, publishing a complete rule book can solve this problem either way. Now there are no official explanations on the rules (other than those already written down on the card text), so there will be endless arguments about how an ability would work, and how they should work.

Resilience is an ability that can and should be removed by Lock. It's one time thing, that cannot be granted again(exception: Combat Engineer, Adrenaline Rush e.t.c.).
And the reason why Wild Hunt Riders have that description is because of condition(Brave).

sund_F;n8765280 said:
Resilience is an ability that can and should be removed by Lock. It's one time thing, that cannot be granted again(exception: Combat Engineer, Adrenaline Rush e.t.c.).
And the reason why Wild Hunt Riders have that description is because of condition(Brave).

Still does not change that the description at the moment leaves alot to be desired. Mahakam Defender lists its ability simply as Resilience, not Deploy: Gain Resilience. With the ability just beeing Resilience, one would logically assume that it returns when the creature is unlocked, Resillience is after all its ability. If the description was, as mentioned, Deploy: Gain Resilience, this confusion is avoided since then Resilience is no longer the ability, but a result of the ability, the token everyone keeps mentioning, thus it not beeing restored with unlock makes sense as unlock is not redeployment.

Change the text and we avoid this damn headache for new players.

Top Bottom