LOD Settings for Models and Textures

+
Hi,

Is there any known fix for extreme LOD/Pop-In issues?

Typically static mesh textures and models at anything over 150-200m are incredibly blurry/failing to load. For example if standing on one side of the Watson/Central bridge the other side will have an entire wall of buildings with poor quality models/textures.

I don't remember this being a problem when I last played (Release Build).

Edit : Should mention this is on PC and I'm running the game at the Ultra Preset (3440x1440) at DLSS Quality settings. Turning DLSS off doesn't make any difference whatsoever.

Nor does the .ini file changes that adjust DecalsHideDistance and DistanceBoost.

Thanks

Last edited:
I don't believe there is a fix. I'm having the same issues but mine is while driving/in person. The pop in now is way worse for me than it was in December and it's to the point where the game is almost unplayable for me. Crosswalks, shadows, lighting, NPCs, cars, streetlights, you name it....It all pops in within about 30 feet of my car.

I use that mod it it help me. You do have to go thru all your graphics options to get the most out of it however. There are tutorials on custom setting the options all over the web.

The moders already fix this, it's very simple

This mod doesn't do anything as of the latest build. I've tried quite literally every method of implementing this, Using the mod zip from nexus or manually in a custom ini file and rendering.ini

Do I need to roll back to a previous version of the game?

This mod doesn't do anything as of the latest build. I've tried quite literally every method of implementing this, Using the mod zip from nexus or manually in a custom ini file and rendering.ini

Do I need to roll back to a previous version of the game?
I tested in version 1.23 and work's, just put...
[Streaming]
DistanceBoost = 42.000000
...Inside rendering.ini

[Streaming]
...Inside rendering.ini

I can assure you it makes absolutely no difference. I'm more than capable of following the instructions on the Nexus mod page, The textures at range still look god awful even on the ultra preset.

I have to get within 100-150m for the textures to actually start displaying correctly.

Edit : To clarify, It does actually do something. Eventually if I keep increasing it high enough the buildings just stop rendering all together but it never fixes the textures.

To explain what I mean better please take a look at the screenshot below, There appears to be almost no consistency or reasoning behind what does and does not get correctly drawn. Some buildings and terrain features that are actually closer to me are a blurred mess while things further away are rendered correctly. This is on the Ultra Preset with DLSS set to Quality at 3440x1440.

trash2.png

Last edited:
[Streaming]
...Inside rendering.ini
No, not rendering.ini.
Don't use an existing ini from the game, they will be replaced when validating game files.
You need to create a new ini in the same folder, and then paste the code in it.
The name of the ini doesn't matter, as long as it ends with ".ini"

Thats just they way the game renders with the lods nowdays. Noticed it several patches ago and ive not found a way too make it better. Seems too be loading the lower res textures way too early. Just looking out the window in Vs appartment on the arisaka logo is depressing enough tbh.. really looks like crap. The distant cars are 2d low res pictures pretty much and so on. This game is really beutifull sometimes but really looks like crap other times... sad really

As the title says it seems the optimizations made for last gen base consoles has also affected the PC version. The result of this is that there's a lot more pop-in and visible short distance LOD transitions than before.

The water tower shouldn't look like that (top image) at such a short distance.
The bottom one is after taking a few steps forward.

1624094126590.jpg

Can we please get a graphics option to alter this? Most people on PC don't play this on hardware that's nearly a decade old so they can probably bump up the LOD distance.

Won't happen before next gen versions get released, i guess even then it's likely to be limited to whatever next gen is going to be capable of.
Consoles get the priority, despite being the minority.

Is there anyone from CDPR staff that reads these threads? Maybe a dev could see this reoccuring complaint and fix it quicker for PC, in the next hotfix. Please, anyone, a moderator, QA team ?

We are a lot of users here that have the same issue, and it's very disturbing to play like this.

As the title says it seems the optimizations made for last gen base consoles has also affected the PC version.
In my opinion, it still seems rather strange to me that it is because of the optimization for the old consoles that these problems appear on PC.
I'm not saying there aren't any issues, but that there is probably another reason. Honestly why degrading PC version while that seems to me much easier to only descrease those settings on PS4 and XB1 versions.

Is there anyone from CDPR staff that reads these threads? Maybe a dev could see this reoccuring complaint and fix it quicker for PC, in the next hotfix. Please, anyone, a moderator, QA team ?

We are a lot of users here that have the same issue, and it's very disturbing to play like this.
Yes they read it, but if you want to make sure that an issue is going to be addressed, you want to submit a ticket at the tech support. they always respond to it, but it might take some time. The LOD is quite terrible right now, and there's not much we can do about it (except disabling RT shadows in-game, and forcing 16x Anisotropic Filtering in the GPU control panel). Mods don't really seem to help as for the most part make it even worse by adding flickering or other graphical issues. (the draw distance mod causes issues at higher values around 50.000000 ; the Cinematic_RTX mode is completely broken and comes with a high risk of epilepsy seizures and photosensitive migraine.)

Last edited:
Noticed this as well. Even with mostly high settings, high textures, high LOD the city looks like a bunch of cardboard boxes now. Before i could turn it to low and the game looked great. Now even high.... anything 20 feet away looks bad. I'd much rather have a slider for distant objects, because I didn't notice any improved performance. And whatever performance hit there was before, i'd rather live with it than a city of cardboard cutouts.

Most people on PC don't play this on hardware that's nearly a decade old so they can probably bump up the LOD distance.
There seems to be people who are trying to play at high settings with just 4 GB of Vram, although the minimum recommended specs clearly say 6GB.

Their priority seems to be getting this Piece Of Software running acceptably on PS4 in order to get back on PS store.
Period.
[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats just they way the game renders with the lods nowdays. Noticed it several patches ago and ive not found a way too make it better. Seems too be loading the lower res textures way too early. Just looking out the window in Vs appartment on the arisaka logo is depressing enough tbh.. really looks like crap. The distant cars are 2d low res pictures pretty much and so on. This game is really beutifull sometimes but really looks like crap other times... sad really

Yeah I'm starting to think from reading forum replies/reddit threads etc that this is just CDPR Downgrading the game for stability reasons.

Top Bottom