LOD Settings for Models and Textures

+
Far as I know the game shares code throughout all versions. So I would wager the downgrades to last gen are bleeding into the current pc version.
I don't think we'll see the return of proper LODs and lighting draw distance increased until the "next-gen" patch releases. So, later this year. Probably sometime in November or perhaps even Dec 9th maybe to relaunch the game in a better state. Who knows.

I also wanted to add there's been a major downgrade to DLSS. Quality used to be quite clear and crisp. It now looks like someone spread molasses all over the screen. I think there's a bug here because I remember there being a noticeable difference between all settings and now there's no discernable difference between auto, quality, balance, or performance. They all look about the same.

Last edited:
Not as bad as it is now I feel.

Which is why I'm asking for an option to alter it according to your needs.
It was. I don't have a comparison pic but I clearly remember doing a gig in that location during my first playtrhough and the lod was terrible. Then I didi it some months later after one or two patches and it was exactly the same as it's seen in that screenshot. But I admit, the only way to be 1000% sure of this is taking screenshots of the same location after every patch and be sure the lod has changed. I remember that I was very disappointed because not so distant models were extremely blurry and low res.

DC9V

Forum veteran
It was. I don't have a comparison pic but I clearly remember doing a gig in that location during my first playthrough and the lod was terrible. Then I did it some months later after one or two patches and it was exactly the same as it's seen in that screenshot. But I admit, the only way to be 1000% sure of this is taking screenshots of the same location after every patch and be sure the lod has changed. I remember that I was very disappointed because not so distant models were extremely blurry and low res.
Maybe we should start making short videos and compare these things.
I'll start with this one:

Object: Shadows and details of anti-climb guards on barriers
Versions: 1.21 and 1.23
Location: Drop Point at Palm View Street, near by the Afterlife

Settings:
1080p, everything maxed out except Chromatic Aberration, no DLSS
rtx3090 ; 5950x ; 4x8gb ddr4 3600 ; x570, stock PBO, XMP enabled
OC: Precision X1 ; memory clock +248, core clock +50, power target 119%
FPS cap: 360
Mods:
Video1: No mods
Video2: [Streaming] DistanceBoost = 45.000000

Videos:
1) 1.21:
2) 1.23:

Result:
There doesn't seem to be a difference in the speed of the shadows on those barriers. It shows 10 FPS more, which might be the result of lower GPU temps and higher clock speed. Edit: I forgot to enable RT Lighting. Video2 has been replaced with a new one. FPS was about the same, minimum FPS slightly higher.

Last edited:
Maybe we should start making short videos and compare these things.
I'll start with this one:

Object: Shadows and details of anti-climb guards on barriers
Versions: 1.21 and 1.23
Location: Drop Point at Palm View Street, near by the Afterlife

Settings:
1080p, everything maxed out except Chromatic Aberration, no DLSS
rtx3090 ; 5950x ; 4x8gb ddr4 3600 ; x570, stock PBO, XMP enabled
OC: Precision X1 ; memory clock +248, core clock +50, power target 119%
FPS cap: 360
Mods:
Video1: No mods
Video 2: [Streaming] DistanceBoost = 45.000000

Videos:
1) 1.21: -> YouTube
2) 1.23: ->YouTube

Result:
There doesn't seem to be a difference in the speed of the shadows on those barriers. It shows 10 FPS more, which might be the result of lower GPU temps and higher clock speed.
LOD is terrible both in 1.22 and 1.23.
crop.png

sds.png

Attachments

• crop2.png
    crop2.png
    172.8 KB · Views: 50

DC9V

Forum veteran
LOD is terrible both in 1.22 and 1.23.

If you do comparisons like I've suggested, please only compare the same exact area with at least one other version of the game, and also provide all of your settings. 4GB of vram doesn't allow high settings and will overload the memory. To keep things transparent and comparable, I suggest the following headlines:

Object
Versions
Videos
Result

Last edited:
Oh. Well, I'd like to suggest taking photos straight after being transported by fast travel. I'm pretty sure the destination point on the map is always exactly the same for everybody and we can take photos and record videos from exact same point?

If you do comparisons like I've suggested, please only compare the same exact area with at least one other version of the game, and also provide all of your settings. 4GB of vram doesn't allow high settings and will overload the memory. To keep things transparent and comparable, I suggest the following headlines:

Object
Versions
Videos
Result
Settings is all low. 1080p. 4GB is enough for low.
Gonna do as u asked.

Last edited:
Lowest settings = low LOD? o_O

What's next? 1024x768 looks blurry? 30 fps doesn't feel smooth as silk?
Its not about low LOD its about extremely visible change of LOD while walking though the world.
About NPCs, cars looking ps3, ps2 era at close distance 30-50 m. Then seeing textures loading in real time. :facepalm:

DC9V

Forum veteran
Its not about low LOD its about extremely visible change of LOD while walking though the world.
About NPCs, cars looking ps3, ps2 era at close distance 30-50 m. Then seeing textures loading in real time.
True, this thread is about...
LOD/Pop-In
...which is not limited to overall texture quality, but rather depends on certain situations in the game.

We should not expect too much from hardware that requires low settings, though. Even medium settings could be too demanding.

Guest 3847602

About NPCs, cars looking ps3, ps2 era at close distance 30-50 m. Then seeing textures loading in real time. :facepalm:
As already explained, draw distance was reduced some time ago, probably in an attempt to squeeze every frame they could from last-gen consoles and PC users were collateral damage. Yeah, it sucks and yeah, I would like them to give us the old draw distance back as an option. Hopefully, they will when the next-gen update drops.
That being said, textures will still look bad on lowest setting, because this setting is meant for GTX 780 and RX 470 to reach stable 30 fps on 720p. No game is supposed to be a looker on lowest.

The more I think about it the more I start to believe that there is a inbuild problem with the game engine and coding.
I spent yesterday about 3-4 hours just changing ini settings and testing again and again the draw distance and rendering radius, with 0 results. There are about 1100 hidden .ini settings that can be applied for the game, no just "DistanceBoost = 42.000000" from the useless nexus mod.

Witcher 3 also had bad draw distance and LOD, and required some mods to tweak it. Sure that was on REDengine 3, now it RE4, but regardless it's a reocurring issue with CDPR games it seems.
I don't remember any other modern game engine from the last 5 years to have such a bad texture streaming and pop-in.

I think some more experienced modders that worked on Witcher 3 should try to fix this, I see a lot of similarities in the INI files between W3 and CP2077, also some code access with be a lot useful for modders.

Last edited:
As already explained, draw distance was reduced some time ago, probably in an attempt to squeeze every frame they could from last-gen consoles and PC users were collateral damage. Yeah, it sucks and yeah, I would like them to give us the old draw distance back as an option. Hopefully, they will when the next-gen update drops.
That being said, textures will still look bad on lowest setting, because this setting is meant for GTX 780 and RX 470 to reach stable 30 fps on 720p. No game is supposed to be a looker on lowest.
The bad texture streaming and pop-in is just ridiculous. How can one play such a immersion breaking thing is beyond me?:shrug:
Problem is that performance is similar. Which again is mind boggling. Similar performance but serious downgrade in graphics.

DC9V

Forum veteran
Yea, I can't wait to see the next gen patch! I just hope that the chip crisis won't continue in 2022...
I absolutely agree. On the other hand I don't understand why it's even possible to choose high settings on low-end hardware. the last-gen consoles do have limitations, as far as I know. So I can't really blame people if they play around with the settings, which might work well in some areas of the game and then it doesn't work at all in other areas.

Last edited:

Object
Versions
Videos
Result
Object: LOD changing(texture swapping) as I got close to garbage mountain
Versions: 1.22 and 1.23
map.png

Settings:
1080p, Textures Low, LOD Medium, Rest if Low/Off
RX 580 4GB ; Ryzen 1700 ; 2x8gb ddr4 3200Mhz ; b350, XMP enabled
OC: CPU overclocked 3.5 Ghz, GPU stock clocks
FPS cap: no FPS cap
Mods: no mods
Videos:
1) 1.22: ->
2) 1.23: ->

Result:
There doesn't seem to be a difference in the changing of textures and LOD getting better as I got close. LOD looks extremely bad on both versions of the game.
Difference is it performed worse on 1.23. As one can see from video the choppiness and stuttering is more obvious.

Top Bottom