long loading times and horrible pop ins

+
long loading times and horrible pop ins

hi everyone.

ever since 1.10 or 1.11 (cant remember which patch) i get longer loading times than usual and a lot of pop ins. especially when i fast travel to novigrad or walk in there. i see a lot of smudged texture pop into high detail and missing details, even in the wilderness, appear as i move a bit. in the wilderness this isnt really bad because the details and foliage appear within 2 seconds after i load a game, but in novigrad and urban areas i can play for a minute while having really bad FPS and objects pop into view.

thing is - this wanst the case with the older game versions. something happened. and i didnt increase the visual settings. they were just the same as they were when everything was smoother.
i dont use any mods that effect visuals. only script mods.

my rig:
win 7
i7 4770 2.4ghz
r9 280 3gb vram
8gb ram

i will appreciate any attempt at help :p

0.) (If you use any mods) disable all mods and move/remove the files from your computer. Get rid of everything from the game's installation directory or any directories associated with a mod manager. Be sure you follow uninstallation directions provided by mod creators carefully.

1.) Start game. Set all options (graphics, controls, etc.) to their defaults.

2.) Load your saves one-by-one, and re-save each (At least the most recent 3 or so.)

3.) Exit the game. Reset all GPU Control Panel options to their defaults for witcher3.exe.

4.) Find the folder that contains your user.settings and delete everything except the gamesaves folder from that directory.

5.) Validate your installation through Steam/GOG.

6.) Restart your computer.

7.) Start the game and load/re-save your games again. Load one up and play around for a bit.

8.) If everything is well, you can apply your settings, tweaks, and mods again. I recommend doing this only a few at a time, as you'll be able to tell which ones are problematic if you run into trouble again.

Also sounds like a crappy (not defective, just slow) disk. Not all computers are built equal. Since your build does not mention an SSD, I'm guessing mechanical disk, something less than, say, WD Enterprise or Black. The disk is the slowest part of your computer. Putting this game on an SSD or at least a fast mechanical disk is a big win.

thanks for the advises, ppl.

yeah, my HD is a crappy old drive. no SSD here. i know it's one of the reasons that games dont run as smoothly as they should, however i didnt have these issues before the 1.10 update (or 1.11) so i dont think it should be this harsh.

im gonna try some of the solutions suggeted by the kind sigifey and hope it will work.

I am using an SSD, and load times increased quite a bit for me as well.

For example, when loading into Velen early on, old Dandelion says "The Witchers contact in Velen was the be Henndrik" and so on.

Before 1.10, I could skip out of that at "war ravaged land". After 1.10, I cant skip out until "but the wraiths failed to find his notes" which is a big increase.... I can only imagine how painful it would be on an HDD...

Sigis suggestions are good, and really we should all be doing that after every patch just to make sure. :p

Assuming it doesnt get better - a cheap 120GB SSD is less than $50 now, and will make a world of difference.

Top Bottom