Longest playtime

+
Longest playtime

There's a thing called Speedruns... People compete in finishing the game as fast as possible...
While it might work for games like Half Life or smt; trying to finish W3 would be sacrilege IMO.

These kinds of games are meant to be savored... Every little thing is full of content and backstory, there are all kinds of references (witcher lore and easter eggs), sidequests are just as interesting as main quests (just look at the Keira Metz questline for example).....

Rushing through a game lake that would be like getting a bottle of $1000 champagne and giving it to a pig to drink...

So why don't we try something totally opposite...

Who here took the longest time to finish the game (the main quest)?
(And if you haven't finished the game yet, tell us how many hours you played and where you are approximately (or what level you are))

As far as I'm concerned, I've played around 20h according to GOG Galaxy, and I'm around LVL 8... And I plan to milk the hell out of it for many more... Months, probably...

Last edited:
I've been playing the game since it's released, though I have only spent 77 hours in game with 32% completed at 26 level. And I completely agree with you, playing it just from time to time makes it more special than it already is

My first playthrough was apparently some 500 hours on Sword and Story. The next was around 400 on Death March where I also completed a few additional quests missed on the first go around.

My first playthrough was apparently some 500 hours on Sword and Story. The next was around 400 on Death March where I also completed a few additional quests missed on the first go around.

NICE! :)

Oh and BTW my first playthrough is on Blood & Broken bones

Not sure about the accuracy of GOG's time tracker and I definitely don't trust the in-game time tracker.

I disregarded it after it reset midway... these are estimates based on "time expired" while playing. Note that I tend to move on horseback at the canter, or by small boat, rather than galloping *everywhere* or fast travel. Some time was also spent recording information for future modding projects. I've attempted to reduce the actual time *known* to have been spent to reflect the actual play-time, not all time in forums/spreadsheets/in-game but not playing etc.

I'm currently around 150 hours into a third playthrough in Velen, just about to head up to Novigrad (a wee bit late).

My GOG Galaxy marks 1002 hours but I have some 6 playthroughs now. First on just the story and the rest on Death March, with 2 NG+. Approaching the third act of current run but with still a lot to explore and do, at level 32. I found at least one new quest or a few new stuff in each run and I bet there might be some more to be found.

@Lieste
Uff .
500 H for one playthrough ? How ? ^^
I had +-160 Hours and looked for everything on every map so i did not miss something. Only skipped Skellige Sea (?) because they are pointless and boring.

Wow! That is impressive! I have invested like 100 hours into the game currently at lvl 34. Time for New Game+ and Hearts of Stone! :smile:

@Lieste
Uff .
500 H for one playthrough ? How ? ^^
I had +-160 Hours and looked for everything on every map so i did not miss something. Only skipped Skellige Sea (?) because they are pointless and boring.

Walking everywhere, not being terribly efficient in local hubs, but following one particular thread, leaving a region then crossing it again and picking off one more quest.
Looking under and behind every rock and bush (lots of hidden details not marked onto the map in *any* way, plus lots of subtle map markings which reflect explorable items, but without quest/item markers). Lots of experimentation with equipment and for bug reporting (looking for workarounds or causes as well as "just doesn't work").
Being silly, wandering around with *only* a rusty steel sword in the safer Velen, experimenting with bleeding and other effects against raw damage potential. Talking to everyone, listening to all the ambient conversations, reading all notices/signs/graffiti. Sailing between the islands, rather than fast travelling etc. I think I was at 35 hours or so before I left White Orchard on the first playthrough, and only a little shorter on the next two goes around.

400 hrs on first playtrough? Sorry but I just don't believe that. It took me longest 100+ hrs at max to complete the game and do eveything 100%.

I have completed this game 4 times so far and whats refreshing about this game is I have always spotted something new, even if it is subtle but it means this game is a lot less repetitive than other games. @Lieste I couldn't agree with you more with your previous comment. This game is really good in terms of exploration which I really enjoy (although maybe not for everyone) but I think this game is extremely refreshing with multiple approaches to the story and how you can influence quests in another way than previously thought. God knows how many hours I have poured into this game in total but its definitely hundreds but most importantly I have never felt am doing the same thing over and over again which is really nice. It is the first game I have played where I have chased all the trophies and wanted everything I could out of it.

400 hrs on first playtrough? Sorry but I just don't believe that. It took me longest 100+ hrs at max to complete the game and do eveything 100%.

While adequately levelled I have *just* spent the last two sessions clearing out the Spitfire Bluff/Coast of Wrecks area, and took two sessions to work down to the last of the "Defender of the Faith" locations. There are a handful of locations in this area unexplored (Byways, the Burnt House, the two Elven Ruins), plus all the ships off the Coast of Wrecks ~ I'll come back to those a bit later, once I have repaired equipment and sold all the collected loot, which will take visits to all of the merchants/herbalists/armourers/swordsmiths between here and Crow's Perch. After that time to head to Novigrad....

This small section of the map, doing nothing very intricate or complex, and not requiring any doubling back or restoration took just under 6 hours, and it will take another hour or two to dispose of gathered stuff and to prepare for the next movements. I have some things to do "soon" in Crookback Bog, some contracts in Velen, near Midcopse, Mulburydale and Lindenvale, plus large areas of the map not yet visited at all.... but it is time to deal with the early Novigrad tasks. Each 'new task' takes around half to a full session to complete (travel to, preparation for, actual task completion, recuperation if required, travel back and disposal) ~ (though Novigrad is much faster, as it is all closer together, and I know my way around the city without reference to a map).

Hard to say given that the in game clock doesn't seems to be accurate. But my first play through by my estimate went over 140 hours. After that I did another play through to see the best ending and also to grab more trophies and it clocked over 40 or so hours. On my third play through now I am going for the platinum trophy (almost there!) playing on DM I must have over 50 hours already and I plan to stick with this one and complete as many things as possible while I wait for the first DLC to come out.

My first playthrough was 238 hours (according to Steam's play time, the ingame clock doesn't work) and I didn't do everything. Went everywhere on horseback and didn't use fast travel other than a few times to and from Skellige. Most of the Skellige sea and islands left untouched, some side quests failed, some side quests didn't even find, and didn't explore the whole map in Novigrad/Velen. I like to find new stuff on next playthroughs too. Now about 80 hours in on NG+ on death march and while I've been to Skellige already I have barely touched the mainquest.

900 hours of play time? Dude, the game's been out for 4 months, how is that even possible?

So, you've played this game for about 41 full days. The game has been out for something like 120 days. You have dedicated a third of all your time to playing a video game. How can you do that?! You're a very lucky person if you have that much time to spend on one game :D
Don't get me wrong though, the game is great and all, but that's just way too much... I probably spent 150 hours to finish my first playthrough, and something like 50 hours in a second playthrough.

Top Bottom