Looking at the Endings... Spoilers

+
If V story has ended then it would make sense for Johnny to take over since Mike Pondsmith said in an interview that he is continuing the story beyond Cyberpunk 2077. Johnny has been an important and playable character in the entire Cyberpunk universe. Plus, I find it interesting that Mike Pondsmith said Cyberpunk 2077 is like Star War: Return of the Jedi.
CDPR also could make like for TW3 with both expansions, contents/questlines totally unrelated with the main quest, which you can start before finishing the game :)
But for now, while waiting any CDPR announcement, the best is to wait patiently.

or the endings could be left open. Similar to say Star Wars Old Republic 2. What happened in the end of SWToR 1 does come up in conversation. The player can alter the ending they wanted, or how they played out in SWToR1.
Thinking on it; the endings with the "Nomad ending", or "Queen of the Afterlife", does seem to fit with Dex's first question to her. Would she want to die old as Ms. Nobody, or young in a blaze of glory?

CDPR also could make like for TW3 with both expansions, contents/questlines totally unrelated with the main quest, which you can start before finishing the game :)
But for now, while waiting any CDPR announcement, the best is to wait patiently.
That's why at the end of the day all we can do is speculate and have fun with our theories.

I think there should be a couple of end options. For those who do not want good and for those who do (at the moment those who want good have been treated severely), the option of saving John from the virtual world would be something interesting if V could survive in this way.

Maybe even a female V's romance with Johnny;)

SPOILER WARNING if you haven't played The Witcher 3

Imagine for a moment, being pitched The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt by a friend, taking in consideration the endings, it would go something like this:

Your friend : dude this game is fantastic, immersive open world, play as a profesional monster hunter, you get to hunt monsters, kill bad guys, have sexy time with lady folk... oh and btw, no matter what decisions you make inside the game, in the end Geralt and Ciri both die and all you can influence is the manner in which they die...

You: ummm....no?

This post is not bemoaning the endings, but looking into the ending. At first the endings were not a concern, as I read expansions will be in the games future and it is just good story telling to leave the main character in peril so you would buy the expansion to see how the 'hero' or 'anti hero' saves her life. It seems as time goes by that the endings is going to be just that and no additions will be made. Could be wrong, but at this point it looks to be that way.
One can continue to hope not, but I fear the same thing here yes.

Alts DNA resequencing, is not a factor at all, it is a lie to trick V to go with her instead of Johnny. For a number of reasons, we are to believe a 80mm X 10mm x2 mm (there abouts) object can completely change DNA, is well, just asking to much, and it is not in the blueprints and documentation of said chip. If one is playing Valerie makes it even more unlikely due to Valerie, being a woman, she is missing something in her DNA, called the Y chromosome.
I don't think it would be a stretch given that in Cyberpunk they also have the technology (public market no less) to install coomplex cyberware in your body which you then can use as if they were bodily parts of yourself. so why would a device, which IS advertised as cutting edge experimental technology even here, not be able to exist. Keep in mind that the specific shard -Relic 2.0- Valerie gets stuck with is exactly that: an experimental unfinished highly advanced piece of technology. So... calling it too much to ask for believing... nah, I disagree there, I do believe it could exist, specifically given the worldbuilding still highlights its experimental at best.
As far as the DNA resequencing goes. I'm not too highly into these specifics of biology, but I could believe that this relic/Alt does not need to have nor use that information. Valerie's body would never change its sexuality so why would the Relic rewrite (or even need) that part of the DNA.

I could be wrong offcourse, but so far I think the Relic or Alt would only 'focus' on the part which is affected by the Relic. My mind is a bit fuzzy here, but I believe we already have such technology in our own real world where specific DNA markers can be targetted to do stuff with, we however do it on plants or animals so far while cyberpunk can do it on full grown(up) humans.

So also here, I'm not convinced its technically 'not possible'.
There is another issue that seems to be missed, that is not only V's brain takes massive damage, but the chip itself also has massive damage. Last read by Jackie the chip was at 86% integrity. Factor the time he takes it out, prays, then slots it is port, and later takes it out and places in V's port, I would place it at 78% to 74% integrity. Now ask yourself how well do chips run at 99%.... not well if at all. I can only surmise the biologic component (hence BioChip) of the chip is keeping it running and most likely barely.
I believe the 86% integrity was because the containment seal in which the Relic 2.0 was stored in was broken. It needed to be slotted within a living persons head (Jackie then V) in order for the Relic to not disintegrate further. So... by my calculation (sort of) the Relics integrity has not dropped below 86%, give 1% for when it switches between Jackie and V if you will, but I don't think integrity was ever further damaged below the 85% mark. Now, I do agree with you on the concept of: what damage the initial integrity loss may have incurred already.

Tis is because we face a problem: V gets killed and is dead for a few seconds when Dex shoots her. The Relic as this point 'recognizes' this at which is starts to copy Johnny's engram onto V's neural network. As far as dmage is concerned, we only see the hazyness when a malfunction is flaring up, where V typically says something like "Oh shit". However we can only assume the malfunctions are a result of the initial damage the Relic suffered. What it is actually "malfunctioning" we don't know...
Does it make copying errors? Has it lost bits of code? Are there powersurges being caused somehow? ... Whats malfunctioning?

Continuing on your question about "how well does it run". I think the more interestiing question feeds back what I just wrote: how is it performing its directive? And what has the initial integrity loss incurred on its programming?

I have to assume that a piece of technology such as that has numerous redundancies built in to safeguard operating, but since its never even touched on, we don't know any of the inner working of the chip. Given that both Vik and Hellman seem to agree that the speed untill V seizes being V is around about "a few weeks" we can safely assume that the Relic's programming is running sufficiently enough, at least as far as could be deducted from whatever possible way of measure at the time. I can imagine Vik has brain-scan equipment that see what the Relic is doing, as thus measurements could be done to distile and extrapolate the pattern of the change. I like to imagine it in the sence of Vik seeing the Matrix before him. He sees the relic is doing something, and given it keeps up in speed it will be done in "a few weeks" but he can't make heads or tails from what he's looking at.

It would've been nice to get some more on this in the game rather than me having to spin my own educated-guesswork narrative.

Corpo Ending;

The Corpo ending, is for the most part a suicide ending with extra steps. V is back to step one, hence the fool card in Misty's reading, and quite frankly I do not think V lasts the 6 months with huge amount of brain damage, that may of been 'jury-rigged' to some extent by Arasaka. In some ways I get the feeling V does not survive planet fall, as Vik and Misty still think you are on the station after V left.
Keep in mind, V has proven she is a huge threat to Arasaka, on multiple occasions and there is no way a mega corp with its rep would allow such a threat to run around. Hanako is daddies girl, she is cold and calculating, with runner skills surpassed that of Alts (by 2077), and is not above killing anyone just like her father. Just ask the peeps that try to write her bio. Hanako would prefer to use V to her advantage, by having V become a construct, reprogram the engram to be very pro Arasaka without 'disturbing' V's skill set, then place into a body. The contract that V signs, I had to laugh, who would enforce it?? No one, not even the new Arasaka flag waving V..... not worth the paper it is printed on, as the saying goes. Death of body and rep.
Side note... did anyone else found it strange when V talks to Johnny (on the station) that Johnny talks in the 3rd person?? I feel it is V talking to herself, and that other self took on Johnny's form. Basically telling herself she screwed up.
You and me aren't very different here. I also didn't trust Arasaka's kindness like that.
I agree with you that it felt like a giant trap.
Queen of the Afterlife;

A slightly better ending but not by much. Either you arrive to this ending via Johnny controlling the body and go after Araska with Rogue, or the 'not so secret' ending where V assaults Arasaka on her own. Poetic in some ways if V was corpo V....
I gather based mostly on Misty end credit reading that V pretty much ignores her health, and focuses on her rep. Based on Misty read, V becomes the most famous personality in the Afterlife. More so than anyone else, I would guess. "The whole world will hear about you" as Misty says. What is the moto of Afterlife legends, they are in the graveyard. Go out in a mind spectacular way. She may live longer than the Corpo ending, may be a year, 3 tops.... to much damage done to her with the whole chip thing.
Though this post is focus on V's survival this where I would place Johnny ending. He lives about that long doing the opposite, laying low and out of lime light and one day he does not wake up... the end.
The thing with Afterlife ending I find weird is where Mr. Blue Eyes come in. Highly believed to be a rogue AI, and if you indulge in that story, would be setting up V as a proxy for his own war against "the real world" for lack of better words. So V will again find herself in strings. Either as puppet for the blue eyed man or by simply having died already and Johnny is inhabiting V's body.
Again for me ultimately the same conclusion: V is f*cked.
Nomads;
As far as V's longevity goes this is the best ending. Starters, I think what is missed is that little bird that lands on Panams truck window. Its just a bird, but not so much in story telling. Did some cross research, and it is a Barn Swallow fairly common in North America, but it should not be there. How many birds did you see while playing Cyberpunk... none. In May of 2063 Night City purged all birds in the Avian Extermination Act (its on a shard in game). So that bird should not be there, but it is. Also, in storytelling the Swallow represents freedom, wide open sky, eternal happiness and good fortune. Basically, it is just like Jackie ordering 2 "Johnny Silverhand" drinks before the heist, and after the heist, V has a talking brain tumor just happens to have the same name. Simply put, it is foreshadowing.
You also have Panam, and the inner circle of Nomads like Mitch that will be hell bent on saving V's life. Not her rep, but her life... and we all know just how determine Panam is when she sets her mind on a task. Saving her 'true friend' (or romantically involve with Vincent, potential husband) will be a driving force. Maybe the Nomads have or acquire Biodyne favor to mod its new invention for MS, to repair V' brain, after all the brain is a muscle too.
Misty's end reading is different than Afterlife reading. Afterlife ending read is focus on rep, In the end Nomad credit read, Misty says V will have a good LIFE.... nothing about her rep, ....her life is going to be good. With the foreshadowing of the swallow, I do believe a long life, baring sickness or injury. Who knows, maybe V will have a family of her own....
I have a sort of mixed feeling about this one. Its for damn sure the best ending for me. V walks away, mostly intact. Can even bring her lover along. And we see from the ending credits that V does have a good life Valerie specially (although I always found it strange Panam doesn't have a message for Valerie...)
However where it breaks me is the glaring, goldcasted, moonsized cliffhanger that makes or breaks the believable LONGevity.
Misty could have referred to the 6 month period being the good life V gets before ultimately dying. And since I have (and still hope) believed the end was not truly the end, I sure do hope V, together with help from the Nomads and supported by Judy (in case of Valerie), find her what she needs to cure that braindecease.

And while I, we, may be left in the dark about this one, I like to believe there's yet a whole story to tell about V here, and I'm doing so in my head (unsupported by any chip) :)

That is pretty much it. it is just my assessment of the endings. How it is in actuality, I do not know, only CDPR knows for sure what the endings are really.
If no story-expanded expansion come that take place after the ending(s) then we know that CDPR most likely means for the book to cloe on V 6 months down the line (game-wise).
But I'm stubborn enough to fully ignore that should it be the case.
Btw: thank you, it was a nice read after such long time, I also appreciate your take on some of the elements which have their culmination in act 3, and was good to make my own breakdown on it.

Cheers.
Post automatically merged:

This call Hanako makes, as you pointed out, confused me, and in honestly still does. Hanako message suggests V is planet side, while Viks and Misty's call suggest V has not made planet fall, as those two think V is still on the station.
Maybe, assuming V makes planet fall, she is to ashamed to contact her old friends... . She does have to start all over again, with no Johnny, and as Rogue says even before the ending, no one wants to work with V. In all honestly I just pulled that out of thin air, no facts to back it up....
@LeKill3rFou & @CreepySpydre
Interesting debate with the messages at the end.
While I really liked certain ones that clearly showed a certain whereabouts. The ones from Arasaka Ending always left me with a bad taste somehow.
I remembered them as distant, as if placing a message to a missing person, hoping they at least hear it.
So to my mind, V could be anywhere between dead, alive or assimilated. But she is nowhere to be found either way... Which is what I find the strangest thing, because you'd think she would try and reach everyone she knew. Either she can't beause she doesn't have a phone or something, or she's dead, or she's not actually herself anymore...

SPOILER WARNING if you haven't played The Witcher 3

Imagine for a moment, being pitched The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt by a friend, taking in consideration the endings, it would go something like this:

Your friend : dude this game is fantastic, immersive open world, play as a profesional monster hunter, you get to hunt monsters, kill bad guys, have sexy time with lady folk... oh and btw, no matter what decisions you make inside the game, in the end Geralt and Ciri both die and all you can influence is the manner in which they die...

You: ummm....no?
I didn't know this.
I never got past the one hour mark in witcher 3, its just not clicking, but now I don't think I could even bother with it.
And more so becasue of Ciri than Geralt to be honst.

I heard one of the endings gets changed, but would love if the other two endings in question(Sun/Star) were expanded upon in some way. I don't want my V to be able to just get a cure/treatment all easy-peasy. I'm willing to put him through Hell for a bit, have a moment of pure hopelessness, and THEN get what is owed to him by Mr. Blue Eyes...or whoever he's working for.
Well, you could change 80% of them in like 5 minutes, cut the piece of dialogue saying the braindecease can't be cured and get rid of the "6 months" then, regardless of what ending, so long as you choose V to live, she lives out her life where ever she is.

The sun/star endings, Alt states that the damage is irreparable, and that's why V has six months to live. However, Panam claims she knows a guy who might be able to help V, or you have Mr Blue Eyes who is claiming to have a cure/treatment for V. So both of these indicate that though the engram nanites cannot repair the damage done, that there is a possibility that someone knows how to repair the damage. I'm really really hoping that these endings are touched upon either in the expansion coming, or another one...or a sequel. I don't like being given hope, and then having it just hanging there, unattainable. It's torturous!
Something just occurred to me, and by golly thank you @STARGATE87 for your name.
I just had to think of the Replicators featured in that series and it occurred to me that the nanites in V won't repair it because their might not be programmed to.
Given Alt... disposition, I'm not entirely sure if she would reprogram them regardless of who is to end up in V's body.

If it were Johnny, she's might actually want to let him die within short time but as a person. He would simply cease to exist, no need to bring his digital personality along with her in cyberspace.
Alternatively, why would she help V for that. While V helped getting Alt in Mikoshi, we did so by bringing the entire place down to ground.
Why would Alt want to let a person live 'uncontrollably' thereafter. saying that she couldn't repair the damage would have to accepted since its impossible to verify.

Maybe Mr. Blue Eyes and Panams contact would 'simply' have a way to get those nanites to do what Alt opted not to.
I can even see how this could translate into an expansion/sequel. It is already believed a sequel could focus on the rogue AI war...
Well, Alt was a very unique case in how she got to be where she's at inn the first place, might hold quite a grudge towards humanity and was interested in Mikoshi only because it might be a beachhead for her incursion.

Last edited:
I didn't know this.
I never got past the one hour mark in witcher 3, its just not clicking, but now I don't think I could even bother with it.
And more so becasue of Ciri than Geralt to be honst.
That's not what actually happens. I was trying to make the point that if you knew none of your choices mattered in the story ahead of time, and your character died every single time, you would not bother playing the game to begin with.

The Witcher 3 endings are rather good and Geralt himself gets a proper send off with the second expansion Blood and Whine, so I encourage you to play and finish the game.

Last edited:
That's not what actually happens. I was trying to make the point that if you knew none of your choices mattered in the story ahead of time, and your character died every single time, you would not bother playing the game to begin with.

The Witcher 3 endings are rather good and Geralt himself gets a proper send off with the second expansion Blood and Whine, so I encourage you to play and finish the game.

In fairness, that's not really a fair comparison to CP77. Your main objective in the Witcher 3 is not "we need to save the protagonist's life". Whereas in CP77 that literally is the main conflict - and, generally speaking, if you don't resolve the main conflict of your narrative by the end of the story, then chances are the denouement of that story is going to feel less than satisfying... (unless there's a good reason to justify it e.g. if there's another movie/episode/season/whatever... or if there's something particular about your story where it makes sense to do that, such as "Zodiac" (David Fincher, 2007)).

So that's why CP77 lacks closure. HOWEVER that's also why Avengers Endgame doesn't lack closure. The main character is fucked in both; so why is it only a problem for the former and not the latter? What's the difference? The main conflict is the difference. Simple as that.

That being said, I agree with the sentiment about choice in RPG videogames in general; bit daft having multiple endings if V is always imminently doomed one way or another.

That being said, I agree with the sentiment about choice in RPG videogames in general; bit daft having multiple endings if V is always imminently doomed one way or another.
That's the only point I make. Another thing they undercooked is your relationship with Silverhand. In "Tapeworm" for example, he makes it clear that he wants to do right by you regardless if you were nice or a dick to him up to that point, the game just assumes you are best buds. And in the elevator after your meeting with Hanako, again, Silverhand gets really aggressive towards you and induces an attack regardless of your "relationship" status.

It just seems rushed and half cooked, either because of studio turmoil and a rushed launch or who knows what else. And the only reason people like me bring it up is because we love this fucking game, it has so much potential and its CDPR for god sake. If this had been EA or Ubisoft, nobody would of been surprised and moved on by now. But its not and they can do far better.

It comes from a place of passion, not criticism for its own sake.

Another thing they undercooked is your relationship with Silverhand. In "Tapeworm" for example, he makes it clear that he wants to do right by you regardless if you were nice or a dick to him up to that point, the game just assumes you are best buds. And in the elevator after your meeting with Hanako, again, Silverhand gets really aggressive towards you and induces an attack regardless of your "relationship" status.

Hang on hang on, that's not quite right... Yeah, he agrees to get wiped regardless, but I think that's to do with the principles he holds ironclad more than anything else, not his relationship with you. He fundamentally hates the Relic tech. Plus that conversation isn't necessarily buddy-buddy; you can be accusatory when you wake up, you can tell him you wouldn't take a bullet for him, and after he makes his promise, you can respond cuttingly with, "thanks, but kinda hard to promise me something that's already mine". Which in turn affects how the Mikoshi scene plays out later in the game, so the game definitely doesn't assume you're best buds no matter what.

As for the elevator scene - Silverhand didn't attack V; V was suffering the onset of an attack caused by the Relic whilst talking to Hanako. Johnny sees this and says, "we need to leave, NOW". V struggles to get back to the elevator, starts to lose control, and Johnny basically HAS to take over. If anything he saves V.

I believe the 86% integrity was because the containment seal in which the Relic 2.0 was stored in was broken. It needed to be slotted within a living persons head (Jackie then V) in order for the Relic to not disintegrate further. So... by my calculation (sort of) the Relics integrity has not dropped below 86%, give 1% for when it switches between Jackie and V if you will, but I don't think integrity was ever further damaged below the 85% mark. Now, I do agree with you on the concept of: what damage the initial integrity loss may have incurred already.
Thank you for the response it was what I was hoping for, to be truthful
Anyways, as I mention with the chip vs the casing it is the chip that takes the damage. The case is toast.
This is Jackies exact lines:
Jackie: "Container Depressurized. BIOCHIP integrity at 94 percent." ".... and dropping"
The Chip drops to 86% before it is taking out. I was being optimistic with the 74-78%. It is not the container; it is destroyed right away.

The thing with Afterlife ending I find weird is where Mr. Blue Eyes come in. Highly believed to be a rogue AI, and if you indulge in that story, would be setting up V as a proxy for his own war against "the real world" for lack of better words. So V will again find herself in strings. Either as puppet for the blue eyed man or by simply having died already and Johnny is inhabiting V's body.
Again for me ultimately the same conclusion: V is f*cked.
Totally agree.. something stinks here and it is not in the ventilation system...

What makes the chip work:
" experimental polyglycol structures" Websters Dictionary describes it: a polyethylene glycol or related compound of the ether-glycol type containing several ether linkages that yields one or more glycols on hydrolysis of these linkages.

"synthetic granule neuron replicators" artificial version of Granule Neuron. A Granule Neuron: Granule neurons are the most abundant type of neurons in the brain. In addition to the sheer volume of granule neurons, the homogeneity of the population and the fact that they can be transfected with ease render them ideal for elucidating the molecular basis of neuronal development.
The Nanites are the 'Replicators' if anything

Something I left out about the Polyglycol is a real thing, but it has nothing to do with the brain. What I can remember with only 6 hours of sleep over 3 days. It is more for the large intestines and most directly, poop.
Gave me a laugh, as in an indirect way the chip is a sh!t head...

Anyways, you be surprised the difference between the bodies of males and females outside the reproduction organs. For examples of the top of my head. Women have one rib more than males; I do believe they have 5 bones more than males altogether. Ph levels are different, 5% less water in women's blood than men. Higher healthy fats, (around 5%) which gives them their figure, and 5 years of extra life.

I see the continuation of this plot. Johny or V warns in some way (decision dependent) that the wild AI wants to take over the earth (Skynet: p) and knows how to get out of virtual reality only a body is needed. Depending on how the decisions are made, there is a chance to implant Johnny's consciousness into a human body or an android. It reminds me of fallout 2 where the brain was chosen for the robot. As I wrote above, the romance option is possible by playing a woman and here is the possibility to do Korean drama so that more girls play.

After watching the teaser earlier today, we all know that *spoiler I guess* Johnny will be in the upcoming DLC content. Do you guys think that this means that the DLC will take place before the ending sequence of the game? And if so, do you think future DLCs could have the power to offer new endings to the game based on the events that take place in the DLC?

After watching the teaser earlier today, we all know that *spoiler I guess* Johnny will be in the upcoming DLC content. Do you guys think that this means that the DLC will take place before the ending sequence of the game? And if so, do you think future DLCs could have the power to offer new endings to the game based on the events that take place in the DLC?
My guess (which is only my opinion), it will be "pre-ending" and maybe (I say "maybe") it could lead to an alternative ending :)

Never say never, who know :)
But personally, I wouldn't bet too much on an alternative ending or something related to the current endings.
I would not bet on it either, but if they want me to spend more money they need to do more than add new stuff to the middle that has zero baring on the end. Especially if we have to play from the beginning again in order to play the expansion.

I would not bet on it either, but if they want me to spend more money they need to do more than add new stuff to the middle that has zero baring on the end. Especially if we have to play from the beginning again in order to play the expansion.

You won't have to play again from the beginning because the game automatically goes back to before the final mission after you finish it.

Top Bottom