Looking for more immersion?

+
Looking for more immersion?

Hey guys,

I'm about a third of the way through my second playthrough, and just wanted to suggest what I think is the best way to play the game on the PC if your thinking of starting a new game:

If you're looking for an immersive, challenging and better paced way of playing, I whole heartedly recommend the following:

(Note: this is really aimed at those starting a new game, as some of the suggestions require it)

1) Play on Death March difficulty
- It's so much more fun having to prepare for fights and think about a strategy, as well as relying on potions/food instead of meditating for vitality. I seriously regret playing on 'story and sword' for my first playthrough.

2) Install the 'Better XP Curve Mod' (http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/186/?)
- This allows you to go off and explore a lot more without totally out levelling the main story quests so easily.

3) Install the 'Unlock skills from level 1' Mod (http://www.mediafire.com/download/ql8c5b5acebs9qa/Allskillsopen.7z)
- Created by Amioran. To install, extract to the 'content/patch0/bundles' location and run the .bat file.
- This allows you to chose whatever skills you want to spec into from level one, meaning it is so much quicker to have an 'identity', i.e. a spell caster, alchemist or swordsman. For me, this made combat so much more fun from the start. (it does make it slightly easier, so death march is a must).

4) Reduce the HUD to a minimum and get rid of Subtitles.
- Turn off subtitles. With subs on, I find myself reading ahead and unwittingly ignoring the scene whilst focusing on the words. With them off, I take the scene in so much more.
- Turn off NPC chatter. Its so much more realistic to ride through a town/city without it looking like an instant messenger chat room.
- Turn off hints/tutorials/combat effects etc. Less screen clutter = more immersion.

5) TURN OFF THE MINIMAP (or at least get rid of path markers)
- This one will probably be controversial, but trust me. I did this as an experiment, and it makes a huge difference! Throughout my first playthrough, I realised I never had any idea where I was, what direction I was going or how to get anywhere without staring at the top right corner of my screen. So, I tried playing without the minimap. I wish I had done so from the start. With it off (similarly to subtitles), I no longer ignore the scenery, and appreciate the game world so much more. I now have to plan routes using the map, and within a few hours I already know my way around Velen and Novigrad just by looking around me (something I never achieved with 70 hours of minimap gameplay).

So if you're up for it, give it a try. After a little time getting used it, I felt it improved my experience significantly :)

Last edited:
I think I might try some of your suggestions on next playthrough. The minimap I can totally relate to, 200 hrs, and I am just starting to recognize places. With the "unlock skills from lvl 1" this just unlocks ability tree, right?
Does the XP curve really help, when I tried exploring on my own I would end up over leveling a lot of quests, or just the opposite, totally under leveled when treasure hunting.

I never had the courage to disable the minimap but you're right, i really should on my second playthrough because i still can't find my way on anywhere except some streets in Novigrad

lulz... :facepalm:

4) Reduce the HUD to a minimum and get rid of Subtitles.
- Turn off subtitles. With subs on, I find myself reading ahead and unwittingly ignoring the scene whilst focusing on the words. With them off, I take the scene in so much more.

I played for a few hours without the minimap and finally turned it on again. I just found myself opening the map too much. For storyline quests that I remember much better than finding random '?s' I turned it off.
As for subtitles I agree, though you will miss out on some minor dialogue when characters are speaking in elvish for instance. (Wandering in the Dark comes to mind)

The game urgently needs some survival/camping mod with build-able fires, cookable food, hunting, a tent.

Disabling the map in Red Dead Redemption also makes a huge difference, feels a whole lot more immersive. But even though I believed I knew the game in and out I went in the wrong direction most of the time, even at places where I spent a lot of time. Made me realize I'm not that familiar with the world after all without the mini map, sets the game to a whole new level and is an entirely different experience in my opinion.

Haven't disabled the mini-map in TW3 yet, but I intend to when I feel like it's the right time.

Last edited:
I've been playing with the overburdened camera for the last 10 odd hours. Only have the minimap on currently, and even that I am playing around with if to turn off or on. Feels great!

I've been playing with the overburdened camera for the last 10 odd hours. Only have the minimap on currently, and even that I am playing around with if to turn off or on. Feels great!

Hey !

How do you force the overburdened camera please ? Is it a mod ?
I'd love to try !

Thanks

Hey !

How do you force the overburdened camera please ? Is it a mod ?
I'd love to try !

Thanks

No mod. Just get overburdened, lol.

Pros:
- No need to worry about weight
- Nice immersive camera

Cons:
- Can't run (But can use punch+dodge/roll to move quicker; also have Roach)

No mod. Just get overburdened, lol.

Pros:
- No need to worry about weight
- Nice immersive camera

Cons:
- Can't run (But can use punch+dodge/roll to move quicker; also have Roach)

I walk around overburdened as well. Not being able to run is a good and a bad thing at the same. Obviously there are moments where you wish you were able to run but it makes it easier to take in the whole scenario around you.

Is there a mod which you can buy any abilities from level 1 ? I'm thinking about doing some skill experiments.
That unlock skills mod just unlocks the skill boxes or you can actually buy any skills from level 1 ?

Last edited:
As an alternative to hide the complete minimap, you might also try to disable the "path to quest objective" option, With that, you only see the general direction where to go. Then just walk/run/ride on the streets you see or whatever you like.

As an alternative to hide the complete minimap, you might also try to disable the "path to quest objective" option, With that, you only see the general direction where to go. Then just walk/run/ride on the streets you see or whatever you like.

I second that. It's a more elegant solution to the problem than turning the entire map off. Worked wonders for my playthrough

I agree that many players don't even realize how much immersion they are missing out while travelling, due to overreliance on minimap paths, that games such as Witcher, GTA or RDR teach us. We are basically left to following a dotted line with our eyes glued to map instead of the actual terrain. Not truly travelling from point A to B, but rather being herded/reeled in.

On the other hand, turning the minimap off completely could prove to be more frustrating than immersive.

Turning off only the "path to quest objective" is the best solution. It basically removes the white dotted path lining the exact way to chosen destination. But You are still left with yellow quest arrows, pointing just in the general direction of any given quest. This way You know the overall, general heading You have to move towards, but You do the actual travelling and pathfinding Yourself, instead of blindly following an exact 'race track'.

I think it's the best middle ground, when the player is asked to put just enough addional effort, so that it feels immersive instead of tiresome.

Last edited:
I tend to do the same thing with subtitles and the minimap. With regard to subtitles, I'm often reading the text instead of watching the facial animations and listening to the dialogue. With regards to the minimap, I find myself just following it rather than watching where Geralt is going.

I do like the minimap, though. So the only one I might try on my next play through is removing subtitles.

I think I might try some of your suggestions on next playthrough. The minimap I can totally relate to, 200 hrs, and I am just starting to recognize places. With the "unlock skills from lvl 1" this just unlocks ability tree, right?
Does the XP curve really help, when I tried exploring on my own I would end up over leveling a lot of quests, or just the opposite, totally under leveled when treasure hunting.

The skills mods unlocks the ability to purchase/upgrade any skill without unlocking it by putting points into the tree. It also unlocks all the slots. (You still have to earn skill points, it just gives you more options to spend them on from level 1).

With the XP mod:
If you are level 5 with the mod, you would be level 6 without.
If you are level 10 with the mod, you would be level 12 without
If you are level 15 with the mod, you would be level 18 without
If you are level 20 with the mod, you would be level 24 without
If you are level 30 with the mod, you would be level 35 without.

I've been able to explore so much more. If you ask me, Id still want a little less XP per quest, but its a lot better than vanilla :)

---------- Updated at 08:52 AM ----------

I tend to do the same thing with subtitles and the minimap. With regard to subtitles, I'm often reading the text instead of watching the facial animations and listening to the dialogue. With regards to the minimap, I find myself just following it rather than watching where Geralt is going.

I do like the minimap, though. So the only one I might try on my next play through is removing subtitles.

Yeah the subtitles were an immersion killer for me too. I'd advise trying without the minimap for an hour and see if you like it, if not I'd suggest turning off the path marker instead.

Tuco

Forum veteran
I'd love to, but the problem with the minimap suggestion is that game often just doesn't give you enough information to redirect you without looking at markers etc.

When all the info you'll get from the journal is "check THIS AREA" (where "this area" is not described in any way and just pointed with a quest tracker) it can become a little hard to orientate yourself.
It would also be wise if we could access "flavor text" tied to quests (you know, letters, maps and books) directly from some "hotlink" in the journal, instead of relying on the messy inventory system.

My advice to CDPR, for an "enhanced edition" or even just for future expansions, would be
"Try to write and design your quests going with the assumption that the player is not using a UI at all".
If they don't work in that scenario, then there's some part of said design that needs to be reconsidered.

Last edited:
Is there a mod which you can buy any abilities from level 1 ? I'm thinking about doing some skill experiments.
That unlock skills mod just unlocks the skill boxes or you can actually buy any skills from level 1 ?

Good point, it seems the author of the mod I used to unlock everything has since removed it and made it part of his overhaul mod (Better Combat enhanced).

Im going to see if I can get him to post it as an optional file, or if I can get his permission to do so.

---------- Updated at 09:28 AM ----------

I'd love to, but the problem with the minimap suggestion is that game often just doesn't give you enough information to redirect you without looking at markers etc.

When all the info you'll get from the journal is "check THIS AREA" (where "this area" is not described in any way and just pointed with a quest tracker) it can become a little hard to orientate yourself.
It would also be wise if we could access "flavor text" tied to quests (you know, letters, maps and books) directly from some "hotlink" in the journal, instead of relying on the messy inventory system.

My advice to CDPR, for an "enhanced edition" or even just for future expansions, would be
"Try to write and design your quests going with the assumption that the player is not using a UI at all".
If they don't work in that scenario, then there's some part of said design that needs to be reconsidered.

Totally agree. Did you play Skyrim with mods? Someone made a mod on there which overhauled almsot every Quest text to include many details that allowed you to ignore the UI all together and just rely on the text. That is what we need here..

However, I would still suggest turning off the minimap. You can always check your map if you need to, and to be honest you can fill in the gaps left by the quest text.

For example. if the text says 'in this area', look at your map, spot prominent identifying features (wood blocks, paths, junctions, buildings, rivers etc) and use that instead. It's pretty much what I do for every quest now; 'Oh so i have to look there, ok well there's a small building next to a road, and the area is just behind it', and then I dont need the minimap at all.

Better Combat Enhanced.
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/212/?

But if you want only the opened skills, then I don't know of any mods that do only that for now (as it would make the game too easy in vanilla as some skills are OP as they are now).

However you can do it yourself if you want, it's not difficult. But give BC a try, as it makes combat much more challenging and fun.

Last edited:

I actually did that from the start in my first playthrough. You are right, its a much better way to play the game. But for me, the next level was then to get rid of the minimap entirely.

---------- Updated at 09:31 AM ----------

Better Combat.

True, but if you don't want the rest of his changes your screwed.. Im trying to get him to post an optional 'skills unlock only' file at the minute.

Top Bottom