Looking for more immersion?

+
The skills mods unlocks the ability to purchase/upgrade any skill without unlocking it by putting points into the tree. It also unlocks all the slots. (You still have to earn skill points, it just gives you more options to spend them on from level 1).

With the XP mod:
If you are level 5 with the mod, you would be level 6 without.
If you are level 10 with the mod, you would be level 12 without
If you are level 15 with the mod, you would be level 18 without
If you are level 20 with the mod, you would be level 24 without
If you are level 30 with the mod, you would be level 35 without.

I think that's a little TOO slow progression. In BC it is level 30 is level 33 and that's a good balance. With level 30 to 35 you will reach some end game armors only if you absolutely do everything in the game.

Hmm, figured since this topic is about immersion, here's some crazy immersive camera hack. Even first person view at Witcher senses.

True, but if you don't want the rest of his changes your screwed.. Im trying to get him to post an optional 'skills unlock only' file at the minute.

It's very very easy to do that change if you want. If you already know how to extract/import files with QuickBMS it just take a second to open all skills from beginning (you just need to go in geralt_skills and change all the requiredPointsSpent to 0 in the skills in the end of the file).

For example:
<!-- Critical hits -->
<skill skill_name="sword_s17" requiredPointsSpent="8"

change to
<!-- Critical hits -->
<skill skill_name="sword_s17" requiredPointsSpent="0"

Last edited:
I think that's a little TOO slow progression. In BC it is level 30 is level 33 and that's a good balance. With level 30 to 35 you will reach some end game armors only if you absolutely do everything in the game.

To me, gameplay (exploration and side quests) > armors.

Id much rather be doing challenging an fun quests at end game with less armour than steamrolling over everything with total ease in a suit.

Plus, if you get to endgame and just need a couple of levels for mastercrafted, just use the console command to increase your level. Seeing as the story is already complete, Id call it fair game :)

That's awful.

More realistic, immersive me thinks. I can imagine you don't want to get surrounded in this view. Like in a real battle, you can't see what's comin from behind when you're head on with a sword on front.

That's awful.

True, during combat it is awful.

However, the idea of 'first person witcher senses'... now that might be on to something...

---------- Updated at 10:51 AM ----------

Here, I made the changes you wanted (only opened skills):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ql8c5b5acebs9qa/Allskillsopen.7z

Use it by putting it where the patch.bundle is located and run install.bat.

You need to restart for it to work, however.

Brilliant. I'll edit my OP and include it with credit to you.

Contrary to what some in this thread have suggested, it's absolutely amazing to play without the mini-map, but you have to commit to using visual cues from the environment.

I think people tend to get complacent when listening to quest-givers because they know that some big flashing arrow will take them right where they need to be, but if you really do listen, most quests will direct you to where you need to be (and if not, just bring up the big map; all the info is on there). I'm pretty hardcore about not using UI elements in my gameplay, and if you're willing to do things like seek high ground to get a good vantage point of the environment and really make an effort to commit the landscape to memory, then you get an amazingly immersive experience. Of course, this style of gameplay isn't for everyone, but I do encourage people who like immersion to give it a try.

Ah thank you ! As I suspected the skill whirlwind is very weak at level 1, it's weaker than normal attacks =)
Can use it. Thank you so much for doing it guys.

Can you or someone please upload these skills and monster files somewhere? Files that are not in that bms format I mean. Stuff that can be read by notepad. I'd love to look in to them to see what resistances enemies have, how their stats scale by level etc.

Anyway, played tonight's session without any HUD element. Felt awesome. Actually just spent most of the time running around and enjoying the experience. The only time I used the minimap was during a monster search, where it draws yellow circles and you have to find something. You need to know where that circle is and that's only shown on the minimap. Other than that, it was a lot of fun.

Man, the immersion is real now. Can't stop playing. Exentryk, I don't know how to do this. I'm just playing with all skills open as in the mod, turned the difficult level to normal as battles gets more hard in the immersive camera. You can't see what's coming at you sometimes, get hit by surprise, it's just too good. Not using any combat mods.

Last edited:
My biggest issue with removing the Mini-Map was that constantly opening/closing the Map is infuriating due to the fade in/out, and it completely blocks everything else whilst you're on it.

In Morrowind for example, you can bring up your map (Which it opens/closes IMMEDIATELY), but still continue to move your character. Which means I could be travelling North along a road, think I must be getting close to a point where I need to make a turn, quickly open the map to confirm and everything is smooth with my character continuing along the path whilst I do it.
However in The Witcher 3, not only is there the frustrating fade time when you press M, but doing so completely stops the game in its tracks, so just trying to do something simple like re-orientating myself feels clunky and unintuitive, and obviously the game is not designed around that experience but instead using your mini-map. Not to mention the fact that when you open your map it ALWAYS resets to its maximum zoomed in state, which means you have to waste more flow destroying seconds by scrolling out and adjusting yourself accordingly.

Map clunkiness is not much of an issue in Witcher 1 & 2, because environments are small enough it's not really a big deal (Especially in 2, I think over 10 playthrough's I've opened the map maybe a handful of times). However in Witcher 3 you really need some kind of intuitive way of guiding yourself around the big world, and sadly it's heavily designed around the mini-map. For at least what I consider "immersive", the game needs a serious UI overhaul, and with that would also presumably come more intuitive M/KB functionality which is never a bad thing.

Still, there's some neat tips in this thread to helping improve immersion to those that want it. Definitely just turning off all your HUD elements, even if you leave the mini-map on, is still something I believe anyone who values it should be doing without question.
I'm hoping we'll see some cool stuff once the Redkit releases. Which I really hope is actually coming in a somewhat reasonable time-frame. Honestly I think a large portion of potential modders are just going to vanish when FO4 releases, and the longer the Redkit gets delayed the sooner we near that point.

Contrary to what some in this thread have suggested, it's absolutely amazing to play without the mini-map, but you have to commit to using visual cues from the environment.

I think people tend to get complacent when listening to quest-givers because they know that some big flashing arrow will take them right where they need to be, but if you really do listen, most quests will direct you to where you need to be (and if not, just bring up the big map; all the info is on there). I'm pretty hardcore about not using UI elements in my gameplay, and if you're willing to do things like seek high ground to get a good vantage point of the environment and really make an effort to commit the landscape to memory, then you get an amazingly immersive experience. Of course, this style of gameplay isn't for everyone, but I do encourage people who like immersion to give it a try.

Glad you agree!

It's true, when FO4 comes out it's modding madness all over again like in Skyrim.

---------- Post merged on 01-07-2015 at 12:39 AM ----------

It's getting crazy.

The Witcher 3 mod Experiment. Not intended to make the game super hard, just to make it more immersive, fun and dynamic in my own vision. Closer combat camera requires a fast reaction time from the player, turning combats more fast paced/dynamic/immersive.

Mods Used:
Adjust Camera Position.
How to install:
http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/39wx4t/witcher_3_adjustable_camera_position_mod/
My camera config:
Distance=1.6
Vertical=0.2
Horizontal=0.7
This mod might cause camera shakiness inside houses, add a toggle key for it in cheat engine, toggle it off while indoors if needed.

Hair Works Mod:
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mod...

Tweak Hair Works AA to 2x to gain performance:
Go to witcher3\bin\config\base.
Open the Rendering.ini file in notepad and find the line that says HairWorksAALevel=8. Change to either 2 or 4 depending on what you deem better visually vs performance hit and enjoy some pretty significant gains in performance!

Witcher Senses Tweak:
Quick tweak to disable the grey effect while using witcher senses.
Go to bin\config\base\gameplay.ini. Open the ini and look for:
MotionSicknessFocusMode=false
now set it to
MotionSicknessFocusMode=true

Angry angry wolf hehe

Last edited:
Id love a mod that would allow me to just switch into first person like what is shown when you use witcher senses on that video, but keep the normal camera view when not using them.

I think that would be a pretty cool way to search for clues!

how do you make your own thread?

You go to a subforum and at the top left corner, there should be a red 'Post New Thread' button

I'm hoping we'll see some cool stuff once the Redkit releases. Which I really hope is actually coming in a somewhat reasonable time-frame. Honestly I think a large portion of potential modders are just going to vanish when FO4 releases, and the longer the Redkit gets delayed the sooner we near that point.

Yeah, once the REDkit hits, we will hopefully start seeing some interesting mods. A RED pointed out in another thread that they are working hard on it, which is why it's taking so long, so it seems like they're taking this seriously, which is good. A strong modding community can really make a huge difference.

Also, could you check your PMs, please.

Yeah, once the REDkit hits, we will hopefully start seeing some interesting mods. A RED pointed out in another thread that they are working hard on it, which is why it's taking so long, so it seems like they're taking this seriously, which is good. A strong modding community can really make a huge difference.

While I do appreciate the time, effort and hard work the RED team are giving the mod tools, I think it would be brilliant if they could release a basic beta version to at least the most famous/popular modders so they could start work on basic stuff before people lose interest in the game.

Top Bottom