Looking to make a Whispering Hillock deck..

+
Looking to make a Whispering Hillock deck..

Hi ya'll,

Alright, basically I've only played Scoia'tael since release, I just have a thing for elves. But now I'd really like to branch out in to another faction - and I've pretty much decided it's going to be Monsters.

I've got enough scraps to craft a complete deck. The thing is, I'm a little clueless on where to start now. I'd definitely like to use Whispering Hillock as my leader, I know she may not be the greatest.. but.. flavour reasons (plus I really dig the whole 'organic' thing.) So, what sort of deck should I look to be crafting?

To put it in a little perspective, I'm not looking to reach the top of the ranks, something semi-competative would be more than ideal (rank 18ish).

Is consume viable without the Arachaes Queen? Is deathwish a semi-viable archetype? Would moonlight work with the Whispering Hillock? I really don't know Monsters enough to have any idea on which way to go.

I've tried looking around for Whispering Hillock decks online and I've literally found about two, that seem to have just been thrown together. So that hasn't been much help!

Any ideas?

I have a blood moon Whispering Hillock deck and it's quite terrible, this is probably the worst leader in the game btw.
You could try to make a moonlight deck though, should be a bit better, i got one with Ciri nova but uses Dagon but should work with Whispering Hillock aswell.

Whispering Hillock is just bad... Gwent is a game about points, but organic cards are extremely situational and generally give you about 12 points. So you play a leader for 17 points: most other leaders offer more.

Besides, there are only a few really good options you could get out of 9 organic cards: monster nest, lacerate and mandrake, perhaps adrenaline rush.

Since adrenaline rush and monster nest work great in consume, I think that would be a good choice. Mandrake/mardroeme are also nice against other consume, NG, spelltael.

Consume could work without the spider queen (version with vrans and nekker warrior), since you don't need to thin your deck asap (like in the version with harpies and woodland spirit). However, the queen is a good finisher since it allows you to consume 2-3 nekkers and get more from the deck.

She can also give you manticore venom and parasite, which both usually equal killing something that annoys you. She's the best of the create leaders. She won't win you games often though.

You can probably make rank 18 with deathwish. I don't think that's an out-of-this world proposition.

RidiculousName;n10215312 said:
Moonlight has been working well with Whispering Hillock. It's also really fun to play! :)

If you're interested, check this thread for ideas.

Ooo the moonlight deck sounds pretty up my street, plus I kind of like the fact there seems to be some leeway in making the deck - I'm not such a fan of decks that are so set in stone that there's hardly room to change one card.

Iuliandrei;n10215322 said:
this is probably the worst leader in the game btw.

Regarding this and the other posters who say she's really bad.. yeeeah, I understand that. I mean, I knew she really wasn't the best before writing this. But I just absolutely love her flavour, and plus, the other Monster leaders don't really do it for me, so although Whispering Hillock may not be great (at all), she's definitely the only choice for me.

I have a blood moon Whispering Hillock deck and it's quite terrible, this is probably the worst leader in the game btw.

I do wonder what you are using. I have tried a list posted in the thread RidiculousName linked and it's quite viable actually. Your finishers come in the form of werecats. Though I have to agree it's not powerful enough.

The hillock is all about lining up the ideal conditions. Knowing that the organic pool is mainly parasite, Manticore venom, mushrooms, lacerate, adrenaline and boulder, then you need to make sure there are units to reset, strong units to make resilient, targets for removal, targets to push in a row with hazards. Sure it's not a top tier leader or anything, it's usually not even consistent but it can be quite useful :) I prefer the Elder for my Full Moon deck personally though, as it's a more consistent point swing, especially with Ciri:Nova

ser2440;n10227442 said:
I do wonder what you are using. I have tried a list posted in the thread RidiculousName linked and it's quite viable actually. Your finishers come in the form of werecats. Though I have to agree it's not powerful enough.

The hillock is all about lining up the ideal conditions. Knowing that the organic pool is mainly parasite, Manticore venom, mushrooms, lacerate, adrenaline and boulder, then you need to make sure there are units to reset, strong units to make resilient, targets for removal, targets to push in a row with hazards. Sure it's not a top tier leader or anything, it's usually not even consistent but it can be quite useful :) I prefer the Elder for my Full Moon deck personally though, as it's a more consistent point swing, especially with Ciri:Nova

Hey Ser!

So, after looking through the full moon post that RidiculousName suggested. I tried to make a full moon (not blood moon) deck based on your very first post. It's been having.. hmm.. moderate success? Sitting above 50% win rate for sure, although I'm not sure how much above. I think part of the problem is that I'm still getting used on when to play things, especially Whispering Hillock herself. Often I'm thinking 'damn, I wish I saved her for now'... or 'damn, probably should have used her earlier'.

The only difference in my deck is that I'm running Succubus instead of Ge'els (just because I've got a lovely premium Succubus) - And Decoy instead of Frightener. I'm wondering, how important do you reckon Ge'els and Frightener are for the success of the deck? I'm worrying I may be gimping myself (a lot?) by not running them.

Lastly, I see you have sixteen bronzes in the deck, instead of the usual fifteen. Is First Light that important? With the 'kind of' weather clears that full moon provides, and the fact that we're not putting units on every row, is it necessary? Obviously Rally provides more thinning, but... wouldn't it be better to just run one less card?

Anyway, I'm having an absolute blast playing the deck. Managed to get my first rank up yesterday (only from 12 to 13, but still) - so it must be alright! Just want to say thank you for posting it in the first place!

The only difference in my deck is that I'm running Succubus instead of Ge'els (just because I've got a lovely premium Succubus) - And Decoy instead of Frightener. I'm wondering, how important do you reckon Ge'els and Frightener are for the success of the deck? I'm worrying I may be gimping myself (a lot?) by not running them.

Lastly, I see you have sixteen bronzes in the deck, instead of the usual fifteen. Is First Light that important? With the 'kind of' weather clears that full moon provides, and the fact that we're not putting units on every row, is it necessary? Obviously Rally provides more thinning, but... wouldn't it be better to just run one less card?

Anyway, I'm having an absolute blast playing the deck. Managed to get my first rank up yesterday (only from 12 to 13, but still) - so it must be alright! Just want to say thank you for posting it in the first place!

Hey :) First of all, thank you very much for trying my list. I am honored xD Now to answer your questions.

No, 26 bronzes are not important, but I always include some form of clear skies (be it the card itself or the silver mage that can spawn it) in every deck on principle. The reason is that I hate enemy weather and I come across a lot of Harald Axemen decks with both gold weathers. It will give you an advantage over Eredin Frost decks too, as you can wait until 2 rows are under frost (remember, the enemy has white frost, while the moonlight deck has nothing that can clear two rows and/or replace them with boons) and play it, then counter all other enemy hazards with Moonlight :) The reason I go for exactly 26 or 28 cards in all my decks is simply because I dislike odd numbers :p but if you feel one of them does not have a place or does not find much use, you can safely take it out :)

Succubus, I wonder how much use you get off it. The main reason I use Ge'els is that playing it on the second round increases the chances I have the 2 golds I need for the finisher (Draug + Yennefer) in my hand in the third. It also plays the Crones and narrows down the silver options after they are played, so it's a safe option in knowing exactly what you will pull. A mini finisher in the form of Draug + Ruehin is also a possibility as these two alone provide 35 points. Succubus, while great in certain situations, is meant to be a finisher as well, so by foregoing Ge'els, you hurt your chances of having the 2 golds that make for the powerful swarm finisher :) If you want to include it, I'd dump the Woodland spirit more safely than ge'els or one of the other golds, seeing as it is a strong card but gives the least contribution to the overall strategy and finisher :) Dumping the woodland spirit can allow you to dump the foglet too, so you are down to 25 cards without really having to think about what to drop :)

The Frightener is there mainly for 2 reasons: To draw the gold card Ge'els places on top, if played that way, and to give you a reasonably powerful unit to drain with Elder (while Hillock is a different leader, I switched to Elder a while ago because it provides more points. It lacks the removal Hillock offers though). Additionally, if you have a blood moon to spare or have played woodland spirit it can drag units in the hazard. In the case of blood moon it reduces the swing it makes from 13 to 9, essentially making sure you are still in the fight :) Finally, card advantage is everything in this meta with everyone and their mother running silver spies and summoning circle :p Hence why I use it. Decoy is a great option if you have Nekurat or Ruehin but I doubt it sees much use for any of the other silver and bronze options in that list, with the exception of the slyzard and there is only one of that in the deck.

Finally, the Hillock takes a bit getting used to the Organic Pool. Its main options are parasite, manticore venom, monster nest, boulder, adrenaline, lacerate and mushrooms/mandrake. So try to play it when you see as many of these conditions lined up as possible. That means that you need a target to remove (like a Kaedweni siege support or an axeman) for Manticore venom and parasite to be most useful, a target to reset for mandrake/mushrooms, fog or a target to move from its current row for monster/boulder, a large target (like an alpha werewolf) for adrenaline, and a stacked enemy row for lacerate. Line up as many of these conditions as you can, then play the Hillock. It's the best way to ensure you get something good out of it :)

I am glad you are enjoying the deck :) Anything else you might have noticed, a suggestion or anything, feel free to post. Thanks xD

You're very welcome! Honestly, it's so refreshing not playing Scoia'tael for once, and especially this deck, as its flavour is so up my street.

That's a good point about First Light, I might consider putting it in then, well, I may aswell give it a go anyway, it's not exactly a game changer, I can always take it out again if I feel I'm hardly using it.

Now on to Succubus.. honestly.. she hasn't been the greatest for me. She's worked really well in a fair few games, but seemingly just as often she just gets murdered. Four power just seems so absurdly low at this point in the meta where there is so, so much removal flying around. I think I will have to bite the bullet and take her out, but man, I do like her artwork :(

Having read what you've put about Ge'els and the Frightener, it does sound like they're pretty important. As soon as I get the scraps (which I'm close to) I think I'll add them in for sure. Having said that, decoy has won me a few games - I've had a couple of games where I've decoyed Ruehin (with Draug out) for a win, if I haven't managed to draw Yennefer. I've also decoyed Yennefer's Unicorn, which is a nice feeling!

One thing that has constantly been screwing up my games however.. is Tremors. Especially the Dwarves deck that saves Ithlinne double Tremors as their last card. How on earth do you play around that? Bait it out early, with an early Draug? I'm not sure, it's just an evil play against this deck!

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
Legendarum Dont listen to those saying Hillock is the worst Leader, they clearly havent tried Adda or Eist... I know because i have, and im sure i would have had better luck with the Horsie...

It might not be so closely associated with a Monster archetype, but you could make that work for your favor.

I myself have a Arachas Queen deck, that isnt really consume, its actually a Relict deck.

DRK3;n10232912 said:
Legendarum Dont listen to those saying Hillock is the worst Leader, they clearly havent tried Adda or Eist... I know because i have, and im sure i would have had better luck with the Horsie...

It might not be so closely associated with a Monster archetype, but you could make that work for your favor.

I myself have a Arachas Queen deck, that isnt really consume, its actually a Relict deck.

Tried that myself

One thing that has constantly been screwing up my games however.. is Tremors. Especially the Dwarves deck that saves Ithlinne double Tremors as their last card. How on earth do you play around that? Bait it out early, with an early Draug? I'm not sure, it's just an evil play against this deck!

It really is. And there's no real way to play around it other than winning round 1 and bleeding the opponent into using it in Round 2. Even then you risk the opponent keeping Schiru and turning it into epidemic in Round 3 and just ruining your day. I haven't run into any dwarves that saved that as their last card though. Usually I just bite the bullet and let them use it in Round 2, where I've played the majority of Alphas and werewolves and have 2 rows under full moon, then keep Draug + Yen or Draug + Ruehin for the last round. Most Dwarves will keep Paulie Dahlberg for the last round as it is a reliable finisher, unlike Schiru so you can hope that keeping the 2 cards you need to activate the finisher is enough. If your opponent doesn't suspect what you are up to he might do you a favor and scorch boosted werewolves in Round 1 or Round 2, taking the Schiru danger out of the equation.

You raise an interesting point about decoy. I will try swapping the Frightener out for it and Hillock for a leader and see how it goes :)

DRK3 Ah an Arachaes Queen relict deck sounds interesting, but to be honest I don't know how it plays or even what cards it consists of.. I don't think I've even been against a relict deck yet. Has it been effective for you?

ser2440 That's interesting what you've said there, will definitely be trying out that approach for the next Dwarf deck I face. I'm surprised you haven't seen Ithlinne as their last card though, I've played againt maybe four or five (or more) dwarf decks this season, and Ithlinne double tremors has been their last card every time without exception!

The only other thing I'm slightly iffy about really, is when to commit to playing more than one moonlight in a round - as there's only four in the deck including Neukrat, and that's assuming you pull all of them. But I am getting more used to the deck (and when to play what) as I'm playing it more and more. I just want to say a massive thanks again for posting the deck in the first place, and how helpful you've been explaining stuff!

Also, apologies for sort of highjacking your Moonlight specific deck thread - as my thread here was just about me trying to find a deck to start with. If I've got anything more to say about your Moonlight, I'll be sure to post it in your thread =)

Thanks again!

DRK3

Forum veteran
Legendarum Well, i already had a relict deck a few months ago, and now they've even added plenty of Gold Relicts (like the 3 gold version of the crones... and i think your horsie leader is also a relict) so i had to go back to it now that's improved.

The strategy is one of the simplest - play Weavess: Incantation to strengthen all Relicts by 2. Then your fiends become 13 pt bronzes. Then on R2 or R3, eat those 13 pt fiends with ghouls for 3x 17 pt ghouls.

That's it on the bronze department, since there are no more relict bronzes, and thats why i also use Arachas Queen and a bit of consume for the remaining bronzes.

But the Weavess Incantation was not to just strengthen 3 cards - i use all 3 Silver crones that become 26 pt play, Caretaker and Woodland Spirit are also Relicts and just great Golds, and also use Morvudd and Sarah which are also silver relicts (Sarah for when you need to change a gold or a when you get 2 silver crones on hand).

Yeah, I've been tinkering with the same idea. The 3 gold crones don't synergise especially well unless you use a hybrid deathwish deck. The list I've been using even uses Hillock despite being rubbish, but here it is in all its ignoble glory:

Leader: Rubbish Hillock

Golds: Weavess: Incantation, Brewess: Ritual, Ge'els, Whispess: Tribute

Silvers: Crone trilogy (the crones strike back), She-Troll, mandrake, Lesser Demons

Bronzes: Fiend x 3, Cyclops x 3, Griffin x 2, Rotfiend x 2, Archespore x 3, Slyzard x 2

The golds choice is because the deck DESPERATELY needs Weavess to really stand much of a chance, and so it must use all the options available to find her. Ordinarily you'll draw either Weavess herself, the Demons, or Ge'els, giving you usually a 50% chance of Ge'elsing her. Lesser Demons get her 100% of the time, but, RNG being what it is you lose her more often than you'd like. As a turn 1 it's usually a safe play though.

Brewess objective is ressing 2 Archespores. They're a royal pain in the arse and gain huge value over long rounds, plus it's a 19 point play in and of itself if weavess-boosted. She-troll is anti-row tech but is just a solid card in and of herself, and gets an archespore into the graveyard if you need it for brewess. Usually I find She-troll nets about 15+, which I'm okay with. Mandrake is a search target for Whispess. Given the deck's weakness to spot removal and giant boosted units it's good anti tech, and it can be a fun way to boost an archespore for an even nastier round 2/3 Brewess surprise.

The rest is pretty self-explanatory. Griffin gives you some flexibility in how you handle your deathwish units. Repeated rotfiends can be nice, random archespore triggers is always nice. Slyzards are normally used to get extra cyclopses or round 3 boosted fiends.

Recommend you try it. It's... not awful? Hillock would probably be best cycled out for Dagon + foglet package though, or even unseen elder as slight large-unit tech. The deck's got no real anti unit tech save chucking fiends and cyclopi at it, and a bit of mandrake for extra spice, but I've found those are quite effective. Hillock can usually be relied upon for a manticore venom and frequently spits up a mandrake, which is always nice.

As a side bonus, this is one of the few decks that can properly mess with the old Ithlinne play. I've had an unlucky dorfs player manage to come out almost point-neutral by triggering archespores and setting off rotfiends (he'd accidentally set them up by using them as dwarven skirmisher targets).

For the record I LIKE this deck, I just don't think it's particularly good due to its lack of real punch. It's also very prone to awful hands if you can't get an archespore going. I've considered swapping out the slyzards for the rock guys who make little rock guys, but honestly grabbing extra cyclopi really matters.

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
iamthedave So you dont use Ghouls or any other unit to consume those juicy 13pt fiends on graveyard? Seems like a waste, honestly.

And i personally wouldnt use Lesser Demons to get any card i really need, only use it on Ciri Dash ASSUMING its gonna discard it.

The risk is worth it. The deck is worthless unless you get Weavess down. If there was a silver avenue to do it I'd take it, but Lesser Demons is what we've got. As for the fiends, you rarely play them before round 3 anyway, and the fiends in the graveyard mostly get eaten by slyzards to get more fiends onto the field. Ghouls might give it a little more punch, but only a little (a slyzard's strength is only a little lower than a ghoul's base strength anyway), and it avoids putting too many eggs in a single basket. One of the deck's few strengths is that it's not too bothered by scorch, as it mostly plays a lot of fair to middling strength plays without every going massive. It's biggest tempo play is the crone trilogy, which splits itself over 3 bodies of odd-numbered strength, making it even harder to scorch effectively.

If you find ghouls work out for you though post your list. I'd be happy to investigate. I don't find the results compelling myself though, at least not so far.

DRK3 Ahh to be honest I do like the sound of that deck, the simplicity kind of appeals to me. Sadly I'm 100% out of scraps now after crafting the Moonlight deck. Though I'm so in to Monsters right now, it wont be long before I can afford another type of deck to mess around with - and I think you've convinced me relicts sounds pretty fun.

iamthedave Thanks for posting all that information! However one thing confused me, if you desperately need Weavess for your deck to work ''and so it must use all the options available to find her'' - wouldn't Royal Decree be a better option than Lesser Demons? - Perhaps in place of Whispess: Tribute? Seeing as from what I can gather, Tribute can only find Mandrake, and having the three silver crones plus Mandrake to want to mulligan away, doesn't sound like it leaves you a lot of room for other mulligans.

That was my only thought! Honestly thank you very much for sharing your list!

Top Bottom