Loot! How does it work?

+
Loot! How does it work?

Loot! We all love it, we all want it. But, as grubby Cyberpunks trying to crawl our way out of the coffin hotels and the Wastes, where does it come from? (Could've sworn we've had this discussion, but I couldn't find a specific thread for it. Anyhoo.)

If we're poor and aspiring 'Punks, and we want ourselves a snazzy new suit, if we can't get far enough uptown to smash in a storefront window, we'll probably want to pull it off of some ganger we lay low. A member of Slaughterhouse or the Bozos, not so much, but possibly from a member of The Kennedeys posergang. (Provided you don't riddle the suit with bullet holes first, of course.)

I'm hoping for a logical loot system. Cops should have a fairly narrow inventory of what they can spawn (standard issue police gear.) 'Punks in the Combat Zone should generally have equipment that runs the scale of poor and shoddy, to that nice piece of wiz tech that they boosted (though, the wiz tech should have less of a chance of spawning.) I wouldn't expect Corporates to be toting assault rifles, and I wouldn't expect Solos to be toting cyberdecks for Netrunning.

Dumpster diving along restaraunt row, you shouldn't be able to find ammunition, but possibly food, smokes, and mabye a body in the dumpster of the Mafia run joint.

What say, folks?

I agree completely, cash should always have a random amount, but gear should be scaled, and while still being somewhat random should be logical to the situation.

We did have this discussion, but I think as a sidebar in the Threads or FAQ forum. Maybe?

Anyway. CDPR has always had a very realistic approach to loot, but that often meant much of what you grabbed was crafting related or a few orens or something. I.e. boring.

I'd like to see some cool stuff, on a personal level. Memory sticks, or wetdrives, memorabilia with little notes or pics, personal touches that mean whoever died here was more than just a collection of armor and flesh-splodey-bits.

And, of course, organs and limbs should be fully lootable, if you have a place to keep them and a decay timer/intact value for sale.

I'd like to see some cool stuff, on a personal level. Memory sticks, or wetdrives, memorabilia with little notes or pics, personal touches that mean whoever died here was more than just a collection of armor and flesh-splodey-bits.
...oh Lord.

If they do wind up introducing multiplayer, ^^ the bolded suggestion has the potential to turn in to the most terrible collectible card game...

I was thinking more along the lines of busting caps into random civilians, just to take their "loved ones" pics off of 'em...

I was thinking more along the lines of busting caps into random civilians, just to take their "loved ones" pics off of 'em...

You know, as I think about it, being able to loot absolutely everything off the bodies makes sense... leaving them underwear clad corpses, perhaps even missing limbs, or other bits.

So far, of all the games I have ever played, Fallout had the absolute best looting system. But even that could be improved, mostly due to resource restrictions. Everything was all business. Where were the condoms, the ID's, the family photos, and other useless shit.... I mean, even Mad Max occasionally took something silly just because it caught his eye (music toy).

If they can program every useless worthless piece of shit tin can scattered all over the map, why can;t they have other useless crap?

I liked the idea of the magazines in Fallout, though it bugged me you couldn't read the comics... and I liked the newspapers you could read in Beus ex, even though they were only one page...

I dunno, we may be entering a realm of unrealistic expectations, and truthfully, if we get to loot on a level akin to Fallout New Vegas I will be a happy camper indeed. And if we get to loot on that level, AND have clothing layers akin to Saints Row 2, I will be in fucking ecstasy.... anything beyond that would just be gravy...

Hell the background loot of the "survivalist journals" in the F:NV DLC were one of the coolest little bits in the game...

gear should be scaled, and while still being somewhat random should be logical to the situation.
I don't wanna see any kind of scaling. I wanna have the possibility early in the game to come across high level enemies with high level gear that will send me to morque if I choose to pick a fight with them. Just as well in the end I wanna come across weaker enemies with crappy gear that I won't bother even looting (since I'm always encumbered anyway ) .

Of course story missions should be built so that it fits you're estimated level enemy and gear wise. But still wouldn't want any scaling rather have CDPR test it so that it fits.

Realistic loot is a must. 'Random' loot would just be ridiculous. Personal effects are a good way to go I think. In many cases, this loot may get the character into a lot of trouble. If they get pulled and searched by cops, shortly after taking down some muggers, there is a good chance they could be carrying evidence from a murder scene...

As for looting clothes and armour, if they have been damaged in the process of their former occupants final moments, they should remain that way until they are reapired. That means the suit that Corp was wearing, the one who got a full magazine unloaded into his chest, is going to be shredded and covered in blood. If you want to recover something, you're going to have to be careful about how you take out the target.

The actual 'mechanic' should be relatively realistic too. Just walking over a corpse should not give you access to their loot. I think a 'brief' search after kneeling over the body should turn up obvious stuff, (guns, some ammo, clothes that are wearable,) although further searching could turn up items in smaller pockets, (data sticks/chips, removeable implants, hidden weapons and ammo, personal items...) If you're under pressure, you should not be able to simply loot everything from a body in under 3 seconds. That takes time and attention, whcih you are not going to be able to do if your still in a firefight. Perhaps the longer you remain in the search interface, the more stuff you find?

And yes, good organs and limbs should be able to be turned in at the ripperdoc. Of course, if said Doc has a steady supply, demand should be low, to prevent literal farming of randoms. That being said, I bet there is more than one person in this thread now considering asking for refrigerated vans in game.

I don't wanna see any kind of scaling. I wanna have the possibility early in the game to come across high level enemies with high level gear that will send me to morque if I choose to pick a fight with them. Just as well in the end I wanna come across weaker enemies with crappy gear that I won't bother even looting (since I'm always encumbered anyway ) .

Of course story missions should be built so that it fits you're estimated level enemy and gear wise. But still wouldn't want any scaling rather have CDPR test it so that it fits.

Not really what I meant.... I meant scaled as to the area, the relative wealth or resources of the target, and the circumstances by which they traveling/acting.

There aren't really levels in Cyberpunk, there are just different levels of individual skills. A 10 year old with a .22 zip gun can take out the most badass navy seal with a hundred deployments under their belt.

If you're under pressure, you should not be able to simply loot everything from a body in under 3 seconds. That takes time and attention, whcih you are not going to be able to do if your still in a firefight. Perhaps the longer you remain in the search interface, the more stuff you find?
I like the idea but I'm scared it would turn the game for boring waiting trying to find out if there were any hidden pockets or such. Of course you could set upper limit or speed the search with implants and/or knowledge.

I like the idea but I'm scared it would turn the game for boring waiting trying to find out if there were any hidden pockets or such. Of course you could set upper limit or speed the search with implants and/or knowledge.
Yeah I do like the idea it taking time to look a corpse. Perhaps with a set time to do a full loot with staged reveals with the amount of revealed items dependent on your awareness/notice or other applicable skill. If you are harvesting for your local ripper doc this should take longer and be illegal and gruesome (unless of course they have an organ donor card on them). Meaning that if you are going to do it you don't want to be seen doing it especially with security cams, cybervideo, and even cell phone cams all over the place. And perhaps humanity loss for those characters with higher Empathy (yeah yeah I know, figure the odds of a character having enough Empathy to give a shit about mutilating a corpse just for a few hundred EB).

Yeah I do like the idea it taking time to look a corpse. Perhaps with a set time to do a full loot with staged reveals with the amount of revealed items dependent on your awareness/notice or other applicable skill. If you are harvesting for your local ripper doc this should take longer and be illegal and gruesome (unless of course they have an organ donor card on them). Meaning that if you are going to do it you don't want to be seen doing it especially with security cams, cybervideo, and even cell phone cams all over the place. And perhaps humanity loss for those characters with higher Empathy (yeah yeah I know, figure the odds of a character having enough Empathy to give a shit about mutilating a corpse just for a few hundred EB).
I guess we could go for a few options. An initial look will reveal obvious items, ones that are already visible. After a few seconds, the contents of pockets and pouches could be viewed. After another couple of seconds, hidden items, (like those in subdermal pockets,) could be shown. Looting everything this way would probably take about 20 seconds. Alternatively, we could ask for a quick loot option, looting everything on the body in about 12 seconds.

Hrm...

I liked the loot system in Fallout 3 / New Vegas, in that the loot system was logical (see the gun on your fallen foe, take that gun, see the armor, get the armor, etc.)

I didn't like that you could strip people down to their skivvies in what was effectively an instantaneous action (when you go in to the Inventory menu, searching the bodies of your fallen foes, time basically stops.)

In Red Dead Redemption, I liked the "skinning" animation for skinning animals. I also liked that the animation took longer, if you were skinning a larger animal.

As a looting mechanic, I think it'd be nice if there were animations appropriate to how diligently we're going through the pockets. Or, if they use a menu system similar to Fallout, I'd like to see the action outside of the menu continuing on in real-time (similar to how baddies can still take pot-shots at you while you're using the vending machines in Borderlands.)

If we're harvesting meatware, I'd like to see animations appropriate to the task at hand (or foot, or eyes, or kidneys...)

Hrm...

I liked the loot system in Fallout 3 / New Vegas, in that the loot system was logical (see the gun on your fallen foe, take that gun, see the armor, get the armor, etc.)

I didn't like that you could strip people down to their skivvies in what was effectively an instantaneous action (when you go in to the Inventory menu, searching the bodies of your fallen foes, time basically stops.)

In Red Dead Redemption, I liked the "skinning" animation for skinning animals. I also liked that the animation took longer, if you were skinning a larger animal.

As a looting mechanic, I think it'd be nice if there were animations appropriate to how diligently we're going through the pockets. Or, if they use a menu system similar to Fallout, I'd like to see the action outside of the menu continuing on in real-time (similar to how baddies can still take pot-shots at you while you're using the vending machines in Borderlands.)

If we're harvesting meatware, I'd like to see animations appropriate to the task at hand (or foot, or eyes, or kidneys...)

I was coming here to post exactly this idea.... I take off the tinfoil hat for ten minutes and this is what happens....

Hrm...

Yeah, this but be sure to include reactions, possibly hostile, to looting. Most people will pretend they don't see the psycho cutting off limbs and removing organs with a "this is gonna net me a few hundred more EB" hard-on, but the cops won't, even if you did kill them in self defense or they fell off of the back of a truck. Or perhaps some gangers see you looting the corpse of their enemy, you might have just made some friends. Either way looting should take time and have inherent risks and consequences. I think that some times you should have to make the choice to loot or beat feet.

I want a more creative approach to loot than they did in TW2. I like Sard's idea of collecting curios, maybe a tattered photo could initiate a quest or we can take a piece of mysterious tech to an expert to have it analyzed. I also don't mind a certain amount of junk items that can be sold or traded at a pawn shop. I think pawn shops could be interesting places in CP 2077. And please make loot context sensitive. If I loot someone's wallet, I don't want to pull out a grenade launcher.

Top Bottom