Loot! How does it work?

+
Small animations, as Redge pointed out, similar to RDR's Skinning animation, would be awesome.... One aniamtion, showing you patting the body down, another, showing you pulling out a knife and "removing cybernetics".... and maybe one of you lifting the feet and pulling off the shoes (to remove clothing)....

Small animations, as Redge pointed out, similar to RDR's Skinning animation, would be awesome.... One aniamtion, showing you patting the body down, another, showing you pulling out a knife and "removing cybernetics".... and maybe one of you lifting the feet and pulling off the shoes (to remove clothing)....

I'm not sure I'm a fan of that, depending how much looting we do. It just gets tiresome going through the animation each and every time.

Very true. They can fix that by having a "Loot All/Skip Animation" key, like "E". As Wisdom says, everything should have a skip-bullshit button.

Well, the idea is that you can still get shot/attacked during the animation...

It's supposed to be time consuming...

Maybe the skip animation could be context sensitive. If there is no chance of you getting seen doing unspeakable things to the corpse or of getting shot while looting then the skip might be available. though that would take alot of the suspense out of it. I do want to add a bit of realism and danger to looting but I can see having to wait even 10 seconds for a full loot becoming very boring very fast. Here I am torn between my desire as a GM to do horrible things to my victi...er players as they reap the rewards of their success and my desire as a video game player not to endure 5 hours of looting scenes in just one play through. Quite the quandary, but no matter how it turns out I think that looting limbs and cyber systems should take time, skill and have some danger attached to it as the act is illegal, unless you are a certified member of Trauma Team.

...looting should take time and have inherent risks and consequences. I think that some times you should have to make the choice to loot or beat feet.
100% agreed.

Well, the idea is that you can still get shot/attacked during the animation...

It's supposed to be time consuming...
As stated previously, I'd even be fine with a menu (a-la vending machines in Borderlands) if you could still get ganked in real-time (a-la vending machines in Borderlands.)

I actually like the idea of a menu or a graphic interface (like the Diablo inventory screen) better than just seeing animations and getting a message of what loot I've gotten.

100% agreed.

As stated previously, I'd even be fine with a menu (a-la vending machines in Borderlands) if you could still get ganked in real-time (a-la vending machines in Borderlands.)

I actually like the idea of a menu or a graphic interface (like the Diablo inventory screen) better than just seeing animations and getting a message of what loot I've gotten.

Oh most definitely we need a menu... I probably don;t want everything that wanker is carrying... But I damn sure want those kick ass motorcycle boots and that Superchief in .454 casull.....

Perhaps you could see yourself through transparent menu window doing the looting animations and you would stop when you close the loot window? Of course when looting implants it should take still bit longer.

It seems a good compromise, as long as there is not a 'loot all' button. I think that each item should have to be dragged and dropped separately, and that what is displayed as lootable is dependent on your awareness skill and others like med tech etc.

It seems a good compromise, as long as there is not a 'loot all' button. I think that each item should have to be dragged and dropped separately, and that what is displayed as lootable is dependent on your awareness skill and others like med tech etc.
Taking each item individually will get very old, very fast.

I got fed up with how long it took to 'Loot All' after a decent firefight in Fallout 3/New Vegas.

Now, if the rest of the group could loot as well, independant of our commands, that could offset the time it takes to loot through groups of bodies.

One the one hand, loot all is not realistic... on the other, fuck it... time consuming is one thing... having shit drug out ad nauseum is wankervilles

Biggest problem with loot in open world games:

Completely linear progression ( when it comes to "stats")...unlike more linear Arpg's (like Diablo/PoE...), OW rpgs cannot provide consistent increase in challenge (with as wide variety of different enemy types) proportional to loot/player progression.
Eventually, loot becomes too powerful and game play tactics simply go out of the window... you cannot have a consistently challenging gameplay in an open world if dps scaling goes from something like 10-1000(0).

Instead focus on:

More distinctive visual (and audio for weapons) difference between each model.
..when it comes to "style", they should be designed around each "feeling" different from one another

Instead of simple linear progression, each model should be weighed on it's pro's and con's....more damage/less accuracy, poor physical stats/special effects, etc.

(Witcher would have been far better off if it had far less amount of weapons, but each designed around having the player to choose between wider difference between range/speed/raw power/stagger/unique properties/,etc ).

Crafting system should be used as complement to this.

General rule: The more powerful/unique weapon or armor is, the less upgradeable and customizable it becomes.

Lowest tiers of both should be only used in beginning or emergency...too heavy to discourage player from mass selling and break the economy.

Second Tier...here you have your standard equipment found of most common enemies. Can be easily disassembled and upgraded to fit almost any type of combat situation. Perhaps even named.

Third tier...more unique and specialized weapons with their own special insignia, found on high "level" enemies, mini-bosses, etc. Also, this is what you find in those well hidden "treasure areas", some environmental storytelling attached, that underground cave you discovered in the bottom of an ocean in Morrowind, where you can see developers paid attention and wanted to give strong sense of reward to the player for going an "extra mile" when it comes to exploration.
More limited customization options as a trade off for having more "raw power" and more unique appeal.

Fourth tier...Crazy unique models, completely separated from the rest. Have their own special name and history you can discover through the world. Very unique properties, found on most difficult bosses( some, part of main story or at end of a long quest chain). When you get a hand on one of these, player should really have a feeling of having something that can't be replicated, something you had to earn. You don't sell these...market value means nothing here. Zero customization or upgrade options, or extremely limited.

Junk/Consumables...these are tricky. Every open world should have these, but I think to a smaller amount than what we've seen. Disassembling in crafting? I think no...that adds a ton of grind to the game, and only works in survivalist settings.

In general, overwhelming amount of loot eventually "numbs" the player to any sense of reward...even when it's well designed ( like Kingdoms of Amalur).

And developers then too often resort to randomization algorithms instead of relying on more handcrafted approach of placement that provides more meaningful/immersive context.

I agree with Bobo's post.

In open world games, you need side-grades, not upgrades.
Meaning you're not just finding "higher level" loot, you're finding DIFFERENT loot.

So instead of finding a level 1 pistol that does X-Y damage, and then say a level 5 pistol doing X+5 to Y+5 damage (which basically requires the game to just artificially increase difficulty by making enemies bullet sponges), you find Pistol A, which is super damaging, but very inaccurate. And then Pistol B which is low damage, but super accurate, and then the hundred weapons in between.

So give us 20 different pistols, each with their own pros and cons. All of them balanced and usable, just tuned for different playstyles and character builds. Some more accurate, some more powerful, some with better rates of fire, or reload time, or clip size, etc.

And then with that, give us a decent upgrade system, were we can add sights and modified clips and silencers and all the other various upgrades. So we can take a base gun we like and further focus it to what it's good at, or take a gun and use upgrades to make up for poor stats (adding aiming upgrades to the gun with high damage and bad accuracy).

And with all the "base" weapons, you can then throw in some uniques and special weapons. Guns that are basically modified versions of base guns. Maybe come with higher stats, but have limited upgrade options (or just come with set upgrades that can't be changed). Though really, I like the idea of everything being customized. That way we can also have the choice of picking some weapons on looks. :p

And the above should basically apply to everything. Weapons, armor, accessories, etc.
And give us the option to customize appearance too. :)

Cyberpunk doesn't have levels of weapons or gear, save by cost and rarity. Even then, best Solo in the world might be packing a pretty stock AMT2000 because he trusts it. Some Beaverville office tech could easily be carrying fancier and tn times as expensive. Even more effective, depending on how you use that word.

Effectiveness of gear depends wholly on the carrier. You want to rumble CSWAT, enjoy. If you survive, keep that shit. IF it's not tagged, of course. Know a good Tech?

Oh and Cyberpunk doesn't typically have "bossfights". I mean, there are some serious badasses out there, but it's pretty rare the reality-based gritty setting sets up bossfights.

Heavily cybered boostergangers and super-heavily cybered boosters are all problems, but it's not an exponential growth. Everyone has the same hitpoints always, remember? Toughness only changes by a few points.

Guns are tools, so, sure a good rifle has weapon accuracy 3 over so-so WA 1, but, you can buy both at start or soon after. And you can customize them as you can afford.

You want to spend thousands on a 30mm Militech Antimatter Rifle, customize the hell out of it. It won't magically get much (any) more damaging, but it might get a little more accurate or lighter.

If you steal Johnny Silverhand's Malorian 3516 and feel like having it Electrothermally Enhanced, great! Pay your money! 'Course the recoil will be HILarious. But there's no "rule" against something like that. It's not "level" gated or "area" gated. Just get past Silverhand's protection and Silverhand himself, heh heh heh.

Cyberpunk really does try to keep it "real" and reduce artificial RPG gates as much as possible. I hope "loot" isn't really much like what you guys are talking about at all.

I hope they don't do the nerf gun collectathon thing of "this guy has a level 6 pistol and I want it because it shoots HARDER than the one I have despite being the exact same caliber".

Ideally, all weapons should have a different characteristics, even in the same weapon class, and whether you use them or not should be a matter of player preference., or player necessity if you need to procure on site during a run gone bad.

Cyberpunk doesn't have levels of weapons or gear, save by cost and rarity. Even then, best Solo in the world might be packing a pretty stock AMT2000 because he trusts it. Some Beaverville office tech could easily be carrying fancier and tn times as expensive. Even more effective, depending on how you use that word.

Effectiveness of gear depends wholly on the carrier. You want to rumble CSWAT, enjoy. If you survive, keep that shit. IF it's not tagged, of course. Know a good Tech?

Oh and Cyberpunk doesn't typically have "bossfights". I mean, there are some serious badasses out there, but it's pretty rare the reality-based gritty setting sets up bossfights.

Heavily cybered boostergangers and super-heavily cybered boosters are all problems, but it's not an exponential growth. Everyone has the same hitpoints always, remember? Toughness only changes by a few points.

Guns are tools, so, sure a good rifle has weapon accuracy 3 over so-so WA 1, but, you can buy both at start or soon after. And you can customize them as you can afford.

You want to spend thousands on a 30mm Militech Antimatter Rifle, customize the hell out of it. It won't magically get much (any) more damaging, but it might get a little more accurate or lighter.

If you steal Johnny Silverhand's Malorian 3516 and feel like having it Electrothermally Enhanced, great! Pay your money! 'Course the recoil will be HILarious. But there's no "rule" against something like that. It's not "level" gated or "area" gated. Just get past Silverhand's protection and Silverhand himself, heh heh heh.

Cyberpunk really does try to keep it "real" and reduce artificial RPG gates as much as possible. I hope "loot" isn't really much like what you guys are talking about at all.

Pretty much this

Top Bottom