Loot System?

+
What do you think about the loot system in the game? And the loot systems in general, let me know!

It works... But it's dated. I would've preferred clothing to just be visual, and weapons to have static stats with maybe 5 'upgrades' for each type that you get as you tackle more complex challenges.

Eg. you start with a police revolver and over the course of the game go through to nova, tech, magnum and finally one of the legendary ones (Silverhand's?), rather than a thousand versions of the same 5 weapons that are better or worse for no reason.

Loot system is salvageable IMO. Its not great by any means, but it will be so far down their to do list that I don't expect to see it changed until all the interest in this game is gone... Simplest solution I could think of is to add item upgrade system which would allow you to dress your character the way you like and keep your desired guns. Crafting requires a complete rework which would make all the constant, meaningless loot a bit more interesting and a viable alternative to just selling everything.

But it's dated. I would've preferred clothing to just be visual

Have to agree with this. I've actually given up some pretty good gear during my play so far because I just liked the way my character looked. My character would have full legendary tier gear by now if I wasn't always deconstructing everything.

For me personally the loot system breaks immersion.
  • Why "Epic" and "Legendary" Items? Is that how they talk about gear in a Cyberpunk world? They should have called it "Solo-Grade" / "Corpo-Grade" or something. It feels so tacked on.
  • Why the loot markers with color coding of items in the game world? This is so unimmersive. Why does that one bottle on a table have a loot marker, and the one next to it doesn't. How does my eye-implant, or whatever makes the UI, know which color the marker has to be displayed in?
  • Same weapon ten times in inventory, every single one with different stats? Come on...

This game reminds me a lot of fallout 4 outside the main story. Similarly collecting heaps of junk to either sell or craft with.

It can work, but I want that the act of looting is improved. Currently you don't loot the item you are aiming at (often forcing you to pick up three pieces of junk further away so you can loot the epic gun right in front of you), but on the other hand you are forced to always aim roughly at the correct direction. The distance you can loot from is quite small. I think its just buggy when I cant loot something I am directly aiming at.

At first I loved it, but there's way too many items that are very similar or exactly the same. It kills excitement of finding something. Sometimes I'm so happy that Elite clothing dropped, just to discover it's worse than uncommon I am wearing. It's very strange and I don't quite understand this loot system. o_O

Flawed, but easy to fix with updates.

Well, I love loot in general in games, especially if it is quite challenging finding something strange or "legendary" in game. Probably in CP2077 I would suggest to add more weapon types because, as already said, the weapon type are few.

I'm currently playing the game on an Xbox One X.

I agree that the looting system could use some work. Mostly in terms of proximity. I like Assassin's Creed: Odyssey's model where looting one person also loots other nearby objects and people. That may be a bad case for this game since you could get overburdened quickly but it seems like it would be handy on a smaller scale (maybe proximity to a crate or person loots everything with one button push?). I'm aware that there's a "take all" button press but it would be nice if that worked on nearby objects or defeated NPCs. There are also cases where objects are so small (Euro dollar rolls) that it's hard to pinpoint them. A proximity looting system would solve that issue.

I've also run into moments in the game where a conversation completely takes over a room and looting is impossible without completing the dialogue. A fix for this issue would help as well.

i wish there was no loot system...
all weapons loose any kind of "sentimental attachment". loved one of my katanas epic katanas with a mod slot, only to see that a few a hours later an enemy dropped a common katana with much higher DPS...
Same goes for armor. I am picking up in some cases common armor that is way stronger some legendary armor I found early on in the game...

The classification into common, rare, epic and legendary make zero sense with this loot system. I wish they did not implement a loot system, and would rather have stronger weapons walled behind either walled by money or coupled to game progression.

Im not fan of Item Level. Locked by attribute level I find it's a good idea remind me of Diablo 2.
Clothes with armour number, I find really dumb. A mod slot is already good idea (put armour sheet feels more realistic).
May only particular clothes should have actual armour like Kevlar-Vest and the player should feel it. I dont think a tank top has more armour than an Heavy-Class3-Vest. The Devs talked a lot about "IMMERSIVE" feeling, which is pretty ironically.

Im not fan of Item Level. Locked by attribute level I find it's a good idea remind me of Diablo 2.
Clothes with armour number, I find really dumb. A mod slot is already good idea (put armour sheet feels more realistic).
May only particular clothes should have actual armour like Kevlar-Vest and the player should feel it. I dont think a tank top has more armour than an Heavy-Class3-Vest. The Devs talked a lot about "IMMERSIVE" feeling, which is pretty ironically.
Yea, that's what is originally WAS... than they swerved into the looter-shooter lane... and the system crashed against a wall.

Yea, that's what is originally WAS... than they swerved into the looter-shooter lane... and the system crashed against a wall.
It seems, they decided to jump on "trend"-wagon like Borderlands3, Anthem and Destiny 2. All of them have not so great story (my opinion) and monotonous grinding quests.

It works... But it's dated. I would've preferred clothing to just be visual, and weapons to have static stats with maybe 5 'upgrades' for each type that you get as you tackle more complex challenges.

Eg. you start with a police revolver and over the course of the game go through to nova, tech, magnum and finally one of the legendary ones (Silverhand's?), rather than a thousand versions of the same 5 weapons that are better or worse for no reason.

That's exactly how i feel about it.

The loot system is one of the three things that I am not fond in the game, alongside lack of reflection or 3rd person mode and fetch quests (seriously, after 1 hour, who read those tons of shards/computer files??).

Looting like crazy is really not fun (I feel like I spend half my playtime in the inventory menu). Armor value on clothes is ridiculous and completely destroy the style over substance core of cyberpunk. Same of the weapons.
And the food, come one, V is grabing food on the ground during missions ??? what kind of person is he?? Food should be bought at one of the many restaurants already available, with either buying it like we do now, or the option to eat on the spot, the animations being already there (I can think of at least 2 instances where I have seen V eating in an aniumated fashion, the dev work is already in the game).

From the press releases I was expecting a system where you gain in power by being more accurate and quicker with your guns, cars etc... (through investment in some skill trees), and in some cases, that is already there.

I am not advocating that every guns by themselves should have the same power, but that improvement would come from modifying guns or obtaining rare ones, and not changing every half hour your entire kit because something better has spawned again.

So yeah, to me the loot system should be nearly inexistent, with just a few special weapons/armors etc... being droped, as well as money where it makes sense (in a safe for example). The player would have to use his payday to buy stuff with merchands and scrappers (for parts for crafting). But the idea that V is some kind of pack mule is not immersive, and start to seriously smell like 90s mmorpg.

Same thing for the cars, why the hell is this idea of collecting them pushed? do you know many heroes in movies or other video games who have all the cars?? Cars should be much more expensive, re-sellable (at loss) and have a maintenance cost if your damage them, or even that you can repair them yourself with an efficiency depending or your skill (so that they feel more important for you, and make you feel that yeah, you are a mecanist).

Same for the housing, I still can not get why there aren't an appartment or home in every sectors to be bought by the player at high cost (and once more resellable at loss). I have a hard time to believe that adding about 10 appartments (that you can enter after pressing F "Buy" on the door, like for cars) it would have been much effort compared to designing the entire freaking city. I would get the argument that they didn't have the time for that considering that we can all see the release state of the game, but we have known for a long time that they hadn't added more appartments, the decision was unrelated to the time issue...

EDIT: Was forgetting about the issue of armor, those should come from modifications, either on the clothe, or cybernetic, but not because your common bra that you bought at the store at 100 armor value

Top Bottom