Loot - too much, too little?

+
Inquisition's loot isn't as abundant. I skip plants and ore I no longer need, but I never skip containers (which have "hidden" loot, that might be good). In TW3 I skip even containers, which speaks to how excessive it is.

Inquisitions World feels like a cardboard-world ...

Glued NPCs combined with houses where some contain identical loot-chests placed in them ... - Sorry but how is that something good?

It already feels odd that your character eats but cant touch 99% of the food in the world - especially in the houses.

But i would be for a system that includes more consequences for looting NPCs houses when they notice - or maybe even make them have reactions when their houses have been looted (some one-linters would be enough).

I thought the OP made some valid points. The issue with loot/inventory is nothing new with the Witcher series. Now it's just multiplied due to the size of the world.

If Witcher 2 was the Size of 3....... we'd have exactly the same situation.

The issue with loot/inventory is nothing new with the Witcher series. Now it's just multiplied due to the size of the world.

If Witcher 2 was the Size of 3....... we'd have exactly the same situation.

Its not an issue - its personal taste ...
There are probably more than enough people who enjoy this type of loot and hate loot like in the examples of the Threadsater.

The only thing i would agree on is that there should be more meaningfull loot - it seems like one rarely finds actually usefull things because some gear is just too good - and that the inventory system needs rework (a chest - sorting and search functions)

I will never understand why on earth they didnt add a storage chest - they made the exact same mistake with the first game - added it later on - and they did it again - i fail to understand why - especially since the new games has even more loot ...

Its not an issue - its personal taste ...

It's not an issue for you... Personal taste.

I don't understand what this is trying to say other than my personal taste is right and yours is wrong.

You can put a lot of things down to just "personal taste" but when enough people voice their personal taste it becomes something more than that.

Edit. And I agree about the loot bank. I really do. But If I wanted to I could say. Thats not a problem I don't mind carrying around hundreds of useless junk. It's not an issue it's personal taste.

And your saying you think there should be BETTER loot. That's more along the lines of "personal taste"

I think I get too caught up on these types of posts. I have a problem.

Last edited:

I don't understand what this is trying to say other than my personal taste is right and yours is wrong.

You can put a lot of things down to just "personal taste" but when enough people voice their personal taste it becomes something more than that.

its neither wrong nor right but going into a game forum and telling people the system of the game is broken because its not like in the game you like while pretending to be objective is kind of wrong.

Yes it becomes the personal taste of xy people ...
If 1 Million people think that pizza tastes bad - what does that tell you about pizza?
(not to mention all the problematic examples)

Last edited:

Edit. And I agree about the loot bank. I really do. But If I wanted to I could say. Thats not a problem I don't mind carrying around hundreds of useless junk. It's not an issue it's personal taste.

And your saying you think there should be BETTER loot. That's more along the lines of "personal taste"

I think I get too caught up on these types of posts. I have a problem.

Its always better to have too much and you can have self control and not loot everything in site, than to (like in DAI) not have enough loot and have the world feel empty.

In real life when you go in peoples houses or stores, do you claim you know there is really too much stuff I could loot in here. They really should have less.

its neither wrong nor right but going into a game forum and telling people the system of the game is broken because its not like in the game you like while pretending to be objective is kind of wrong.

Yes it becomes the personal taste of xy people ...
If 1 Million people think that pizza tastes bad - what does that tell you about pizza?
(not to mention all the problematic examples)

I agree that you don't have to pick everything up. But considering alot of gamers are OCD it practicallty begs you to

Take witcher sense and clue tracking. the moment you go to find the clue you have hundreds of yellow glowing boxes waving at you.

Do you think not displaying stats for say a sword in a loot box corpse w.e in a game with SO much loot is an oversight and a flaw that causes problems?

I've got no problem with the amount of loot. It's how it is handled. I'm not going to pretend to be a developer who knows all. But there are some basic oversights that detract and cause problems.

---------- Updated at 09:45 PM ----------

In real life when you go in peoples houses or stores, do you claim you know there is really too much stuff I could loot in here. They really should have less.

But in real life I'm not encouraged to and know better than to go walking in random peoples houses to rummage through and or steal all their stuff. I'd get the crap kicked out of me then arrested.

I agree that you don't have to pick everything up. But considering alot of gamers are OCD it practicallty begs you to

Take witcher sense and clue tracking. the moment you go to find the clue you have hundreds of yellow glowing boxes waving at you.

Do you think not displaying stats for say a sword in a loot box corpse w.e in a game with SO much loot is an oversight and a flaw that causes problems?

I've got no problem with the amount of loot. It's how it is handled. I'm not going to pretend to be a developer who knows all. But there are some basic oversights that detract and cause problems.

Is this you first open world game? Haven't you ever played the elder scrolls or fallout games? Those games have way more loot than W3 does.
This is what a lot of open world games do. In skyrim you can loot anything that is not bolted down to the floor of table .

I think its hilarious people are complaining about too much loot in an open world game. Most times its there isn't enough like in DAI.

The only issue with looting peoples houses in W3 is, they can watch you do it and don't give a crap where as in skyrim they will call the guards. W3 needs that. If someone catches you stealing (like guards do when they see you stealing) they should yell for help to arrest you.

But you are saying because people won't call for the guards if you steal from their home that compells you to steal everything ? You are making it bad for youserlf, its not the games fault.

Just stop looting everything in sight , its really a simple solution.

Last edited:
Is this you first open world game? Haven't you ever played the elder scrolls or fallout games? Those games have way more loot than W3 does.
This is what a lot of open world games do. In skyrim you can loot anything that is not bolted down to the floor of table .

I think its hilarious people are complaining about too much loot in an open world game. Most times its there isn't enough like in DAI.

Open word games are my favorite genre as a whole. And I've been gaming for years so yeah I have and I know what you're saying.

But elder scrolls and Fall out gave you a read out letting you know whether or not the loot was worth it before committing to taking it with you.

Like I said. It's not the amount of loot or even the type of loot. It's how certain aspects of it are handled,

Open word games are my favorite genre as a whole. And I've been gaming for years so yeah I have and I know what you're saying.

But elder scrolls and Fall out gave you a read out letting you know whether or not the loot was worth it before committing to taking it with you.

Like I said. It's not the amount of loot or even the type of loot. It's how certain aspects of it are handled,

You are not making sense, what do you mean in FO or ES they give you a read out letting yo know if the loot is worth or it not?
The loot system in W3 is exactly the same as FO or ES when you open the window. If its not, i would love for you to explain the difference.

You are not making sense, what do you mean in FO or ES they give you a read out letting yo know if the loot is worth or it not?
The loot system in W3 is exactly the same as FO or ES when you open the window. If its not, i would love for you to explain the difference.

If you loot a sword in W3. It doesn't tell you whether or not that sword is better or worse than the 1 you have equipped until you've picked it up and placed it in your inventory. By that point you then have to go in your inventory and check it's stats and most of the time.. Throw it away because it's not.

Elder scrolls would tell you the stats before you even take it out of the chest

Last edited:
If you loot a sword in W3. It doesn't tell you whether or not that sword is better or worse than the 1 you have equipped until you've picked it up and placed it in your inventory. By that point you then have to go in your inventory and check it's stats and most of the time.. Throw it away because it's not.

Elder scrolls would tell you the stats before you even take it out of the chest

That has nothing to do with the amount of loot that are in chests or there being too much loot in the game.
You are trying to change the rules now and that would be a simple fix for the dev's to put in, along with before you buy a crafting diagram if its better than what you already have equipped.

I never noticed that in either game because I just loot all then check what is the best gear when I get to a town.
But I agree that is something they should have in this game to compare weapons but it still doesn't mean there should be less loot in the game like the OP is saying.

The worst part of the loot in this game is that you can't filter it in your inventory screen or you cant put them where you want in your inventory like you can in other games. It would be nice to have all of your bottles and oils at the top of the screen but you cant do that unless you sell all the letters and books.

Those should be on a different screen IMO all together.
the amount of loot isn't the issue in the game, its the way its organized.

Last edited:
That has nothing to do with the amount of loot that are in chests or there being too much loot in the game.
You are trying to change the rules now and that would be a simple fix for the dev's to put in, along with before you buy a crafting diagram if its better than what you already have equipped.

I never noticed that in either game because I just loot all then check what is the best gear when I get to a town.
But I agree that is something they should have in this game to compare weapons but it still doesn't mean there should be less loot in the game like the OP is saying.

The worst part of the loot in this game is that you can't filter it in your inventory screen or you cant put them where you want in your inventory like you can in other games. It would be nice to have all of your bottles and oils at the top of the screen but you cant do that unless you sell all the letters and books.

Those should be on a different screen IMO all together.
the amount of loot isn't the issue in the game, its the way its organized.

Whats your problem?

I'm not trying to change ANYTHING. I've been saying the exact same thing I've been saying since my first post.

That is

I have no problem wit the amount of loot but the way it is handled could be improved.

And you quoted me. lol

Tuco

Forum veteran
His point is terrible. Like I said before, don't loot every crate, barrel, desk draws that you come across..
What's genuinely terrible here is your understanding of the discussion at hand.

It's always the same when you try to discuss good game design and core mechanics on the official forum of some game, in a way that highlights some flaws.
You get people who are rabid to defend the game no matter what, even when they don't have the experience and the knowledge about the topic at hand.

They can't grasp what games you are pointing as model of things done right, they can't name the games which already did what you are suggesting, they constantly try to rebuke mentioning the worse case scenarios (no matter how different they are from what you are talking about), they wave around silly arguments like "Just don't do it!" (as if the game didn't encourage you strongly to check -if not necessarily loot- everything) and so on.

What's worse are the constant attempts to rely on dull, silly straw men, like pretending they don't know that half measures exist and you don't need either to BLOAT every single step with garbage NOR to make the world "empty". No one is asking to make the goddamn world empty here. No-goddamn-one.

The suggestion here is to strike a better balance, to valorize itemization rather than trivialize it; not to create an issue on the opposite side of the spectrum making the game barren of content.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with herbs and the ingots in villages in general. It's abundant, and you don't have to farm it all. So even if you pick up a few, you'll have enough to make things.

I dislike the level scaling and level lockout of weapons/armors though. I stole a weapon from a level 14 monster when I was level 4. All I got was a level 5 sword that got outdated in the next couple of hours. How about you leave the weapon be its original stats, and make that stealing experience rewarding? It's why I sometimes don't even care what I get out of a strong lair, or tough monster. Equipment drop is pretty much crap, and there is no excitement to get stuff. The most I care for are the 3 Witcher gear equipments, and that's it.
Also, randomising stats on weapons is a bad idea. Make your weapons fixed, so when get something good, we can share that experience and info with others. Here, people don't even get the sword out of the same chest, let alone it being the same stats and bonuses.

The loot is perfect as it is in my opinion. They should not change it. A better inventory would be welcomed though.

---------- Updated at 04:59 AM ----------

I dislike the level scaling and level lockout of weapons/armors though.

I fully agree with this statement. Level requirements in an open-world and open-ended game are like invisible walls in your inventory, they are not needed.

I really don't get the fuss people are making over loots being excessive in TW3. You are given the freedom not to loot them at the same time it satisfies the other group of players who like to see huge amount of loots in the game. I think CDPR is right in giving this many loots as it covers larger types of players. Doesn't matter if there are players wanting only quality loots, less loots, they are all covered under one umbrella.

The term "loot bulimia" actually hits it spot on. If you don't go to see a vendor every few chests you found, you'll often loot the tons of items in chests and enemies and instantly go to your inventory to puke out all the heavy and yet bad/worthless stuff again.

It's not really a problem with crafting materials imho, since this stuff weighs nothing. But with literally all the swords and armor you find past level 7 (first crafting set) being absolutely useless, I find myself being annoyed by those, since it means I can't hit the "loot all" button. Each ultra-rare relic-drop or whatever comes down to checking it for it's crowns/weight ration in your inventory and either dropping it instantly or keeping it for the vendor.

Top Bottom