Loot - too much, too little?

+
Seconding OP on this 100 percent. The itemization is dragging this game down so bad. Whoever is responsible for the loot and item system design did such a shoddy job compared to the sheer wonders his colleagues achieved.

Besides what has been already stated there's ABOLUTELY NO feeling of exploration/reward or risk/reward in W3. Except the first few levels, nobody wil ever use any of those bazilion of weapons and armor because the witcher gear is always miles better. Also because the items themselves are so boring, with boring stats and abilities, there's no reason to use anything else. I remember when Diablo 3 came out people complained about the same thing - mortally boring loot where the only difference between a common item and a legendary one was a couple of different numbers. The mountains of vendor trash in this stunning game are like a wart on a beautiful face.

It really breaks my heart, doubly because this sort of thing is probably beyond repair. The design flaw runs too deep.

Tuco

Forum veteran
The current loot system in TW3 encompasses to wider audiences and that includes yours too.
The current loot system in TW3 is simply poorly thought, regardless of who should allegedly cater to.

And please, spare me some senseless crap about how this overabundance of junk is designed to "improve immersion".
Properly placed, context-fitting items (maybe even with a relevant role in gameplay) may improve immersion. Not broken plows in every drawer.

The current loot system in TW3 is simply poorly thought, regardless of who should allegedly cater to.

And please, spare me some senseless crap about how this overabundance of junk is designed to "improve immersion".
Properly placed, context-fitting items (maybe even with a relevant role in gameplay) may improve immersion. Not broken plows in every drawer.

That's your opinion which differs from mine, therefore, it's not fact. We can argue over this endlessly but the fact remains - we both have our own opinions and obviously differs from each other.

Peace

I think it's just opinion actually. I love the loot system. THE OP doesn't..but that does not mean it's "broken"..it's only his opinion because he doesn't like it, that it is.

Tuco

Forum veteran
I think it's just opinion actually. I love the loot system. THE OP doesn't..but that does not mean it's "broken"..it's only his opinion because he doesn't like it, that it is.
No, it works on the other way around. You may like it even more of your own life, but that doesn't mean it isn't flawed. And fro ma design standpoint it is. Remarkably and blatantly poorly designed.

When you have the most wonderful open world in the genre but at some point during the game you are forced to realize that there's any actual incentive to explore its hidden corners if not for "virtual tourism" because most of what you find is of no use, you have a design issue.
And on the matter of crafting junk etc being way too common, here's the thing: pacing is an actual thing in design as well.

When you are at the same time putting lootable things every few inches and then *STRONGLY* encouraging the player to loot (or at least check) most of it, you are are creating an issue with the general flow of the experience. Especially in a game where the looting is tied to what quite frankly are clumsy controls ("hey, look, let's see how loon it will take to target that chest between two strategic candles and a torch").

I agree almost 100% with the OP and the post above, the looting is quite tiring, cumbersome, repetitive and time-consuming, and in general it breaks the feeling of being a powerful Witcher in a rich world. Instead, you end up feeling like a cheap beggar stealing everything from poor citizens just to re-sell loot for peanuts. It's difficult to sum up suggestions to fix this, specially because unfortunately I doubt that would ever happen (too late now, probably) but let's try to put up some ideas:

- Peasants' houses should be closed far more often, full stop. It's absurd to enter EVERY HOUSE everytime you come to a city to cheaply steal from them. Also, if you enter an open one and steal something IN FRONT OF THEM, they should call the guards, insult you, punch you... well, none of that is easy to program, so just close some f****g doors.
- Reduce the amount of boxes and bags with items that are available to steal in the middle of every f***g city. First it makes no sense, and second it doesn't justify 'exploring' at all if they are just in your way.
- Another reason why we end up checking everything is that there is no clue of the potential value of the contents. In the same kind of bags/boxes you can find from absolute junk to valuable ingredients, food, or expensive items. Just reassign them so we can ignore bags unless we are specifically looking for junk.
- Implement limits on the amount of units per item, and the amount of items in inventory (specially in the 'Junk' one). In that way once you arrive to a shop you are 'forced' to sell junk and unnecessary equipment and if you don't you don't have a reason to keep looking for cheap stuff.

- And another idea to make the current looting more interesting (and at the same time address a popular complaint) would be creating more armors (or diagrams) with the same designs but different stats and scattering them through the world. What I mean is: lots of people complain that many of the armors they find are so ugly they don't even want to use them even if they have better stats. Just make several 'identical-looking' copies of good looking armors and put them with different stats, so the player can find aestethical items in some places, not just simple loot to sell.

Any more ideas are welcome. I think some of those things MAY be doable. It's a pity we can judge this only so late. At least, if I DECIDE to stop checking bags and boxes in the middle of villages, I want to be sure I'm only skipping junk and not f****g expensive ingredients or jewels.

However, even with this list, I don't agree at all with people saying the looting job is sloppy or similar, sorry. All the contrary, the team made fantastic things in this aspect, like the very reduced pay for loot items (so even if you have a lot of objects you don't really risk breaking the game currency system like in f****g Skyrim) or the amount of really interesting ingredients for alchemy and crafting (that makes you curious to get more loot even if you already have a lot of items). It's a good job, it simply needs good tweaking.

Last edited:
I like the way loot is abundant in the game. Otherwise the situation would be that when something is loot-able then it's an auto pickup as you'd be almost guaranteed quality. Dont see that as realistic at all.

I suppose it comes down to different play styles as I don't pick up all weapons etc (bar early game to get a few coins to spend). Some like opening every container or looting every corpse.

In the developers defense I did beat the game with $37,000 in my coffers. On my second play through I am trying not to steal and buy many more of my crafting items.

That being said I hope that the next Witcher game has less loot. The best way to implement this would be have the availability of loot similar to the real world by...
1)no unattended crates and barrels in towns
2)very few crates and barrels in nature besides the occasional crashed merchant cart
3)few crates and barrels in sewer (who the hell put them there?)
4)Minimize the storage containers in bandit camps. They would probably be able to fit every item they own in one or two barrels. LET ME OPEN ONE CHEST TO GET ALL OF THE BANDITS LOOT.
5)Peasants should not have barrels and sacks of grain in their houses(their peasants, make them poor, save us the bother)
6)Minimize the number of treasure chests to likely places that would not have any foot traffic in the real world(caves, elven ruins, but not in random places outside)
7)I wouldn't necessary have a stealing mechanic(not that I am against it but would like the designers energy in other areas of the game), but would instead have no loot opportunities that would make our witcher a thief in the game(basically no loot in houses and towns to be redundant)
8)Make Witcher contracts lucrative enough to be my main source of income.
9)Make inventory maintenance more realistic(can only carry 150 pounds on your horse or 10 to 15 swords). However allow us to rent storage and rooms from inn keepers to store additional items. Also have more wandering merchants.
10)Looting opportunities should be paced in a way where a looting opportunity only presents itself once every half an hour.

Ok, let me start saying I'm incredibly Impressed with wht CDPR achieved with TW3, so I'm not here to piss on the game.
Now, while the game is outstanding in its own, there are few things that I think it could handle better.
Although I really like the game and have spent an awfully long time meandering to and fro across the place looking here and looting there. In fact so much that I spent nearly 175hrs and only completed 50% of the game. I can honestly say that I'm happy with what they have done (for the most part) but not incredibly impressed :/

I could write down a long and detailed list of what I would improve, and then try to argue for every single point. Maybe even post it in the feedback thread where it would go with all the other posts of people writing down their own suggestions without paying attention to those posted by others.
And maybe I will, at some point. But I thought the issue mentioned in the title, specifically, is a point that should be extensively discussed in a separate thread.

In short: I have a problem with how TW3 manages "lootable" stuff.
I think the over-abundance of *useful* things you can gather/pick up at every step harms the pacing of the game, doesn't really help to make it feel "richer with content", as it was probably intended, but to make it more busy in a less-than-ideal way.

Just to avoid misunderstanding, let me stress that I'm all for highly interactive scenarios in RPG and I have nothing against the idea of needing to gather materials/reagents for potions, crafting and so on.
That said, I also think the game (well, the future games, at this point, since I don't think it's realistic to expect this to be changed even in the incoming expansions) could be a bit more elegant in the implementation of this concept.

For instance I would be absolutely fine with having far less useful herbs around the map, but making them much more valuable. And in the same way, I'd surely prefer if gathering ingots or pelts used to craft armors and weapons would be a far less frequent but far more rewarding matter when it happens.
The herbs are not quite as prevelent as you make out here. Ok, so some are common and there are a few of them but that's what common means. If there were less, someone would respond with "If the countryside is so big, why oh why is there nothing growing that we can pick up?". The choice to go and gather every plant in sight is a choice. And let's face it, we all regret having picked so darn many half the time and walking past them soon becomes preferable to stopping to collect every one in sight. Not sure why you would want to reduce the countryside to nothing but empty space you travel through to gt to some other equally uninteractive piece of land :/

Same goes with itemization.
*cough*itemisation*cough*
Having a large number of different weapons and armors? Good!
Having dozens of them dropping randomly from any enemy or popping out of any crate? It makes getting a new weapon considerably less exciting, to be completely honest, especially when it's so (relatively) easy to complete a Witcher set that in your level range will pretty much make anything else obsolete. Even that (supposedly) amazing relic sword which is handed to you with a very dramatic cutscene... Just to let you down when you check it in your inventory just to learn it's little more than "vendor trash".
Tbh, I have seen a lot of people saying about the witcher sets being all powerful but tbh, I actually have a couple of pieces that kick the socks off the witcher equipment I crafted the other day and promptly sold again. I admit, I am at the next boundary, being lvl25, one of the items that was better than the witcher stuff being lvl20 and the next 'evolution' of witcher gear being lvl26. Now if that lvl20 stuff was better for the last 5lvls than the witcher gear then I can only surmise that there is the possiblity that if I hadn't been searching everywhere that I may have found some gear later on that was actually better than the lvl26 version of the witcher gear. That's up in the air though, who knows *shrug*

Even exploring optional ruins and dungeons would feel a bit more rewarding, if you could get out of them something that can be genuinely useful (dunno, more gems, recipes and valuables -or even better, quest-enabling items- rather than another sub-par sword/armor for the vendor, for instance?
I think we have enough troubles with people complaining about being OP without needing to add even more salt to that wound. Ok, so we get some great weapon that does a bazillion damage and it makes for woot! But completely messes up further item leveling. Noone wants to find a weapon that they then never replace. That would mess up the whole retail/crafting system as everyone would be going to that one cave and bam, game done.

Anyway, I'd like to hear more sensible opinions about this (where "sensible" stands for "Please, give the matter some serious thought and argue for it accordingly, rather than defending what the game does just for the sake of defending it).

At the end of the day, I think you are right that things to do with what you collect may be a bit limited, but I don't think picking stuff up is really a problem as it is after all, a choice.

One thing that has popped into my head while thinking of this though, is the lack of people slapping you for rifling through their stuff. Maybe a harsher response to theft. Let's face it, the only time I got slapped for that is when it's done in front of 'some' guards, not all of them and certainly not when they are not around. Maybe prison terms with removal of stuff (including guards nicking your valuables) would be an intersting way to handle it.

Who knows :)

Looting in this game is so annoying. I feel paranoid if I miss out on a loot but there are so much loot everywhere in this world, it just insane. I spend so much time looting instead of playing the game. Never really had to loot much in W2.

Your OCD is no reason to nerf my loot.

What's genuinely terrible here is your understanding of the discussion at hand.

It's always the same when you try to discuss good game design and core mechanics on the official forum of some game, in a way that highlights some flaws.
You get people who are rabid to defend the game no matter what, even when they don't have the experience and the knowledge about the topic at hand.

They can't grasp what games you are pointing as model of things done right, they can't name the games which already did what you are suggesting, they constantly try to rebuke mentioning the worse case scenarios (no matter how different they are from what you are talking about), they wave around silly arguments like "Just don't do it!" (as if the game didn't encourage you strongly to check -if not necessarily loot- everything) and so on.

What's worse are the constant attempts to rely on dull, silly straw men, like pretending they don't know that half measures exist and you don't need either to BLOAT every single step with garbage NOR to make the world "empty". No one is asking to make the goddamn world empty here. No-goddamn-one.

The suggestion here is to strike a better balance, to valorize itemization rather than trivialize it; not to create an issue on the opposite side of the spectrum making the game barren of content.

I understand it just fine and I have plenty of experience and knowledge about this. Pretty cute how you are trying to throw around the insults here.

You can check every barrel just don't loot everything. And I already agreed it would be nice to give the stats when looking in the barrels, that is the issue not how much loot there is like the OP said. Making the game world bloated as you said makes it feel like a living world, unlike a game like DAI where there isn't a lot of loot and everything is nailed down. The world feels hollow and empty. This game does not because you can look tons. And its still not as much as you can look in skyrim. Not sure why is so hard to understand about that. Its YOU that ISNT GETTING IT and does have the experience and knowledge about these things.

You are already over powered enough in this game, you don't need to put even better loot in everything and make more of it. The better loot should be obscure so when you get it its a big deal.

You don't even know what a straw man is if you claim what I have been saying is a straw man. You should stop using terms you don't understand.

Finally the real world is full of bloat and "garbage " items as you claim.

Just stop picking up the bloat and just pick up items you want.

Let's hope you don't smoke, otherwise all these straw men you are making up it could end with some serious fire hazard.

There is no need for insults. I simply do not feel as you do. I like having lots of loot. No straw men attached to my opinion. I don't think they should change a THING. I hope they don't based on the likes of a few people who are too lazy to look thru a room because they just can't spend the time. I like the game how it is.

(mild spoilers) All in all, I agree. The biggest issue for me, is that I have loads of runes for two sets of weapons and armor. It isn't so much that I get loads of swords and armor pieces from fallen enemies, it's that they have near identical stats. It's just vendor fodder and it doesn't make the game any more interesting.

For instance, examine Borderlands. As an example, the enemies tend to drop a small variance of items. One enemy type will always drop very similar items, in the case of Witcher 3 one specific enemy will drop Nilfgaardian swords while another will drop a Skelligian Aketon. This happens in Borderlands and other loot based games. In Borderlands however, even though one gun might be very similar in appearance to another gun, while it's not "rare", the gun might be 10x superior, statistically speaking. This is where it's lost in the Witcher 3, in my opinion. Too many items are very samey. There are very evidently superior weapons that you can get through crafting, that just makes anything you'll find on an enemy not worth picking up.

That's the big thing for me. Once I get those weapons and armor crafted there is no motive to pick up weapons or items, because we don't need Crowns for very much else. At a certain point, after making some of the Witcher Gear, I basically just banked well over 30k Crowns and I have no reason to spend any of it. I kept picking up weapons and armor and ingredients, and didn't realize I don't really have a need to sell anything because I don't have a need to buy anything.

The only thing I can see myself truly needing Crowns for are respec potions, Alcohol for meditation potion regeneration, and Gwent Cards if I find any merchants that have cards. Am I missing something? I have well over 100 Dwarven spirits, not to mention all of the others spirits that are more rare, but not really rare. I go to an unexplored location and there are a bunch of lootable barrels, and each one has at least one Dwarven Spirit in it, amongst other things..

I tried to sell off all the small time alchemy/crafting ingredients I didn't need, but it's hard to say what I didn't need when I didn't know what I didn't need. I know I would need to save some monster hair to craft a specific item once I hit a specific level, but I didn't have any indication if there would be other diagrams that I would pick up that would be better than what I crafted, so I hang on to a significant amount of alchemy and crafting ingredients. I sell off a lot, but I try to keep 15 of everything, just because I don't know what I would need.

Making those ingredients meaningful? An easy solution. Give very small percentage (0.01%) exp bonus for each group of enemies slain, and (0.01%) for bigger monsters (fiends, elements, etc..). Meditating resets all your potions, toxicity and what not, but would also reset the exp bonus. Now, say you have the Enhanced Swallow, and you don't have any more charges left. Instead of meditating to refill your Swallow, losing your exp bonus, that you have alcohols and other alchemy ingredients that can be used to refill your swallow, and only your swallow. You get far less out of the alcohol, because it's refilling one potion instead of all of them, but you're also keeping your exp bonus going.

That would give you a reason to continue looting and picking up ingredients, and it stops you from selling off too much ingredients. There is more incentive to it than just "well I guess I could always use more Crowns". I believe Witcher 2 had a similar alchemy system in that you could craft more potions on the fly, but it's been a while since I played it, so I can't rightly remember the exact system.

As for weapon and armor. Perhaps they need to drop less, because everything is relatively samey. It's hard to say. If those items dropped far less frequently I could see people with progression problems due to finding nothing worth while to use in combat, and lack of funds to buy better gear because they can't find any gear to sell off. I feel as though the big issue for me playing through the game the first time was that durability didn't matter for a long time. If I had a damaged sword I could just replace it with one of the other six I have from that location that were just as good.

The over abundance of weapons and armor made the durability seem like an unnecessary element to the game until you get much, much deeper in, when you have the best gear for your level. At that point you just need to keep them repaired. Up until that point it was usually not an issue in no small part because I could go to areas where even my highly damaged sword would just chop anything down because I was severely over leveled for that area. It wouldn't matter how broke my sword was.

To that point, I feel like the biggest issue with the game was that nothing scaled with character progression. Please make it harder? It's a shame that I just became an unkillable god. Even looting in cities, right under the noses of the city guards didn't prove to be a challenge. Despite the game telling me these enemies were very dangerous. I just go into a Whirl and everything would die, playing on second hardest difficulty. How am I to believe that Geralt was killed by a child wielding a pitch fork when he spins in a circle and guards that are supposed to be very dangerous drop like flies? I'm an unkillable god in this game.

Last edited:
The loot system is really broken, and that's not a matter of opinions.

I'm far from the end of the first act, and I have something like 70k novigrad crowns (and i don't even know what to do with them, they are too much).

Most of it i made trough selling the over-abundant loot of the game.

There are simply far too much crafting components: houses and streets are litterally filled with them, and not just the cheap ones, but also the rarest (emerald powder? pearl powder? Dimeritium? Black Steel? Silver? Meteoric ore?).

And autolevelling loot it's just harmfull in this case, because after sometimes common swords you find are worth 50 or 60 caps.
If you kill a bunch of bandits when you have a middle to high level character you'll became a moghul in no time.
Gold built uppon cheap iron.

It needs a fix, seriously.

Last edited:
Top Bottom