Looting dead enemies

+
Looting dead enemies

Which do you guys prefer to get once an enemy dies? The leather pouches of TW2 were really annoying for me, they killed the immersion at times.

Actually, I dont see the point in "looting" and "inventory-limitations" at all. We all are RPG-player so I guess everyone knows "you take anything you see, and if your inventory is full you either sell or drop something". So, why is the player still "forced" to manually loot at all ?

There definitely are some reasons for that. For one, to give people who DO LOOT their victims a slight edge over those who don't. I totally approve with that and accept it. But the looting itself doesn't provide that edge per se. It's the crafting that need to be done with the items you looted before.

So a "new" approach could be to automatically loot anything (from corpses, not regarding herbs and so on) since the player has to craft anyway. That way you don't need those "bags" - and yes, they really destroy the feeling you get playing that awesome game.

I also could think of another way regarding "looting". For those of us a little bit deeper into "the witcher" it's clear that specific monsters are used for specific things, therefor it should be clear that those monsters CAN and have to be "HARVESTED". I'm specifically not talking about "looting" because its not that the ingredients are carried in a brown bag by the monster, right ? :D
So, what I suggest would be some sort of "harvesting"-skill, so the player has to learn about monsters and can only use specific parts from the monster he just killed if he has the knowledge about it. This way the player kind of gets forced into "getting to know the lore" ( which - I admit - also adds some problems for those player who just dont feel like collecting information about monsters is fun. )

Long story short: Looting should not consist of collecting brown bags.

Cheers
Pargulan

Don't care tbh.

Everyone's got those little things that they hate in games, so I completely understand the corpses disappearing being an immersion breaker for some. However personally, I simply don't care, bag or body, I know what creature I killed & I got the loot that I was meant to get, that's all that matters.

If I HAD to take a preference then I guess it would be to bodies, but ultimately meh.

Pargulan said:
I also could think of another way regarding "looting". For those of us a little bit deeper into "the witcher" it's clear that specific monsters are used for specific things, therefor it should be clear that those monsters CAN and have to be "HARVESTED". I'm specifically not talking about "looting" because its not that the ingredients are carried in a brown bag by the monster, right ? :D/>/>
So, what I suggest would be some sort of "harvesting"-skill, so the player has to learn about monsters and can only use specific parts from the monster he just killed if he has the knowledge about it. This way the player kind of gets forced into "getting to know the lore" ( which - I admit - also adds some problems for those player who just dont feel like collecting information about monsters is fun. )
You'd better play the first Witcher again... cause what you suggested here was more or less already done there. You had to get the knowledge(from books)about monsters to get the ingredients. It was mostly based on Geralt's amnesia though. Which means that after Witcher 2 ending Geralt's memory is fully regained we won't need to learn about what we can get from monsters. Maybe REDs will add something alike harvesting for monsters that witcher is not familliar with for example like those made by wizzards. What is for sure is that we'll gonna need to find out what kind of monster we are going to deal with before taking them down to preper ourself, but that's not related to looting.

Yeah Chyras,

you are right about the books in TW1 (and I liked that). When you talk about the preparation before fighting a monster, it reminds me of an interview one of the devs gave some time ago. They mentioned, that if you learn the anatomy of a monster, you can specifically target important spots to make the monster lose some abilities. BUT, I thought he also mentioned, that it's not necessarily the Character (Geralt) who needs to learn these things by reading a book, but the PLAYER. So if the player knew about a weakness or important anatomical issues he CAN target them, even if GERALT does NOT know about it. Am I wrong about that ?

Cheers
Pargulan

P.s.: I guess it's a bit off topic, right ^^

Pargulan said:
Yeah Chyras,

you are right about the books in TW1 (and I liked that). When you talk about the preparation before fighting a monster, it reminds me of an interview one of the devs gave some time ago. They mentioned, that if you learn the anatomy of a monster, you can specifically target important spots to make the monster lose some abilities. BUT, I thought he also mentioned, that it's not necessarily the Character (Geralt) who needs to learn these things by reading a book, but the PLAYER. So if the player knew about a weakness or important anatomical issues he CAN target them, even if GERALT does NOT know about it. Am I wrong about that ?

Cheers
Pargulan

P.s.: I guess it's a bit off topic, right ^^
Yes this is a bit off topic, and ur a bit wrong about that ;)/> cause u will need to get the info about those spots as an character to unlock them in the battle so if ull gonna play the game for the second time and already knew them as player it wont work that way. Of course it's what i understand from what they said.

Those bags with loot are replacer for corpses for one simple reason. Monsters have high number of polygons and hi-res textures, too many corpses would lagg or even crash your game. Imagine places like Quarry or prophet's hut in Chapter 2. There is no such problem in let's say Skyrim, because you fight only few monsters at once (i can't remember single case of fight with more than 10 monsters), while in W2 you fight hordes of harpies, nekkers etc. Also compare models and textures from Witcher 2 and Skyrim. Games where you fight tons of monsters at once (like diablo) are solving this problem by quickly despawning corpses.

I doubt they would implement those immersion-breaking bags without good reason.

It's probably more performance friendly to have loot bags (less polygons),
but if I could choose I'd prefer corpses, like Skyrim does it.

That is a far more immersive solution than loot bags. :)

emperorzorn said:

That is a far more immersive solution than loot bags. :)

Agreed.

I, too, would choose corpses, but I have no problem with the loot bags either.

emperorzorn said:

That is a far more immersive solution than loot bags. :)/>

This is what I think too.

I also think it would be cool if you could see Geralt slice parts from the monsters.

Didn't FCR2 already increase the time bodies stay on the ground for 5 or 10 minutes (haven't tried the mod myself)? I can't believe the new consoles or at least moderately powerful PCs having a problem with a dozen corpses on the ground. Anyway, disappearing bodies was somewhat immersion breaking since TW2 looks incredible otherwise. Hopefully TW3 will be better in that regard though it's just a small detail.

BatSmack said:
This is what I think too.

I also think it would be cool if you could see Geralt slice parts from the monsters.

Geralt reaching for dead nekker's jewels,
*grabs and pulls them,
*slicing sound,
"Better save these for later".

I voted corpses because I like looting corpses hated seeing bags drop. I want to see my self in real time have my hand reach out and touch the corpse when I loot stuff like I want to see my hand and fingers go in pockets and grab the items whatever items that NPC has on them :).

RandyRhoads said:
*grabs and pulls them,
*slicing sound,

Or he can do the pull-out-the-heart move from dumb and dumber and put in a paper bag

Please No loot bags, and No glowing areas of interest in TW3. Unless I'm looking through witcher sense. Also let me choose what to loot like skyrim, I hate junk and the weight of it. If TW3 would fix this will all have a lot more fun :)

RandyRhoads said:
*grabs and pulls them,
*slicing sound,

this is something right out of my wishlist.....i realy hope the devs had time to make cutscenes of monster authopsy for each specie and with hints at what the parts can be used for and maybe even point out weakspots for instant kills and disabling abilities. I an aware this is asking a lot but it would be cool.

P.S. did the devs mention or confirm monster books/ lerning about monsters after you kill "x" of them/anatomy lessons from a NPC to obtain knowlege about a monster?

blackgriffin said:
this is something right out of my wishlist.....i realy hope the devs had time to make cutscenes of monster authopsy for each specie and with hints at what the parts can be used for and maybe even point out weakspots for instant kills and disabling abilities. I an aware this is asking a lot but it would be cool.

P.S. did the devs mention or confirm monster books/ lerning about monsters after you kill "x" of them/anatomy lessons from a NPC to obtain knowlege about a monster?
Yep, will have a book as we go a long an learn more as we slay them ;)

Either, or both works for me. Not a fan of corpses disintegrating after a couple of seconds either. Regarding inventory just let me pick up whatever I choose. That ought to be a player choice. No automatic harvest, clogging up my inventory. I can do that all by myself thank you very much. ;) And if Geralt's pockets are full then let me be able to pawn off some of it before I go pick up some more.

I just hope the devs let us have a designated chest at the inns(from the very start ;) ) to store any items you wish to keep. Just like in Witcher 1 and 2.

Top Bottom