Looting

+
I don't know if this has changed, but back in July 2018 they said (from the Dev answers thread):
Capture.PNG

We have levels (confirmed), we have epic/legendary weapons (confirmed) => same as the witcher 3 = borderlands/diablo-like, almost for sure.

I hate it, but hey, "RPG"... TW3 won so many awards, it was flawless I guess? :shrug:

No.

What we know for sure, GTA5 did not have looting and it was insanely popular and still is as far I know. Also I havent heard anything about WoW recently, so it seems the Classic RPG is going down.

I'm not sure I'd draw quite that large a conclusion from a singular feature used differently in two completely different games from two completely different genres.

I'd prefer looting wasn't such that you collect a truckload of items in your endless pockets, but that you'd be able to pick up some stuff and also had to evaluate their worth to you on the spot. Deus Ex inventory in other words, with possibly a bit more stackability for smaller items. And that things you could pick up weren't just cratables, consumables, armor, weapons or ammo, but items that might be of other use entirely (taking a page from oldschool adventrure games).

And I also think the coloured tags for weapon/armor rarity/power (common, epic, etc) are just...stupid and out of place here.

I remember seeing something, looting screen is full screen. But do people really care about looting anymore? Isnt it kinda thing in the past already. Also theres the typical, grey, green etc colours.

Of course looting is important. Why would you take the risk to kill armed people in not for gaining a lors of wealth from it.

Because players have done it too much already?

I would replace it with something else.

It's a matter of logic: if you are working for money and there is more money coming from the value of the loot than from the mission itself, there is no hesitation.
Remember that V is a lowly mercenary.

So you want another, battle, search the room, loot the corpses game, move to another battle game?

Actually, loot isn't what makes that, it's combat frequency/difficulty that does that. If combat were anything near real combat difficulty, you would think twice before trying to loot everyone.
But fact is that the game is made to appeal to FPS players, so we'll have to deal with that.
Post automatically merged:

And I also think the coloured tags for weapon/armor rarity/power (common, epic, etc) are just...stupid and out of place here.

Well, it's just as much respectful to the setting a the rest of the game I guess (levels, how Cyberware is handled, the importance of social stats, etc...).

I'm not sure I'd draw quite that large a conclusion from a singular feature used differently in two completely different games from two completely different genres.

I'd prefer looting wasn't such that you collect a truckload of items in your endless pockets, but that you'd be able to pick up some stuff and also had to evaluate their worth to you on the spot. Deus Ex inventory in other words, with possibly a bit more stackability for smaller items. And that things you could pick up weren't just cratables, consumables, armor, weapons or ammo, but items that might be of other use entirely (taking a page from oldschool adventrure games).

Damn i loved the first deus ex and if the loot would work like that it would be fine.So i asume you can’t loot the clothes but clothes in general are more rare or meaningful than in the witcher(besides of the epic stuff)

I think this is a fixed statement but it would be nice if they changed their mind
Honestly, there is only one circumstance where I would be fine with looting implants/cyberware...

...if the game would require us to whip out some surgery equipment, then cutting open the corpse, digging through the organs, or pulling them out in order to locate the implant, carefully cutting away the flesh around it to separate it from the body, until we can safely remove the desired item with as less damage as possible.
And all that packed into a fun, overly bloody mini-game reminiscent to Surgeon Simulator....

...sarcastically speaking of course ;)

That doesn't make it any less stupid or feeling out of place, though. On the contrary, it embolsters the feeling by factualizing that there are so many other similiarly weird decisions.

It's just me being at the last stage of grief: acceptance.
It isn't an RPG about Cyberpunk 2020, it's an action adventure game which only takes action compatible themes from Cyberpunk 2020, so anything that goes that way doesn't makes me care anymore.

We have levels (confirmed), we have epic/legendary weapons (confirmed) => same as the witcher 3 = borderlands/diablo-like, almost for sure.

I hate it, but hey, "RPG"... TW3 won so many awards, it was flawless I guess? :shrug:

No.

At least I don't see any required level on the weapons, like TW3 had on swords.

It's just me being at the last stage of grief: acceptance.
It isn't an RPG about Cyberpunk 2020, it's an action adventure game which only takes action compatible themes from Cyberpunk 2020, so anything that goes that way doesn't makes me care anymore.

Yeah, that's the gist of things now.

At least I don't see any required level on the weapons, like TW3 had on swords.
yes, that's the only good news for me so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to lock us out of weapons in another way, like "you need subdermal grip MK 3 to use the legendary militech shotgun" and, surprise surprise, you can buy the subdermal grip MK 3 only once you reach street cred lvl 20.
Better make it clear: this is just a pessimistic speculation from me, but at this point I'm expecting this more than "whatever you find/buy can be used on the fly".

Honestly, there is only one circumstance where I would be fine with looting implants/cyberware...

...if the game would require us to whip out some surgery equipment, then cutting open the corpse, digging through the organs, or pulling them out in order to locate the implant, carefully cutting away the flesh around it to separate it from the body, until we can safely remove the desired item with as less damage as possible.
And all that packed into a fun, overly bloody mini-game reminiscent to Surgeon Simulator....

...sarcastically speaking of course ;)
But before you can do that you have to investigate like a witcher😬

I don't see why looting can be a problem. It's not like you're forced to use it. Just run though without taking anything. You can get money from completing missions. You can get weapons and ammo from stores. And if you ran out of ammo then you underestimated difficulty and should've brought more, just like IRL).
But if you don't mind going through dead bodies for extra coin (especially if your character origin and backstory supports it) - you will want to check every corpse and box in the building. Also if you like crafting, you'll be on lookout for specific compontnts and scrap you can use to get an edge over your opponents.

It's a matter of logic: if you are working for money and there is more money coming from the value of the loot than from the mission itself, there is no hesitation.
Remember that V is a lowly mercenary..

Yeah, you are right about this. Of course there gotta be looting. I just started to think from business-perspective.

Camt wait to see how much they sell.

I don't see why looting can be a problem. It's not like you're forced to use it. Just run though without taking anything. You can get money from completing missions. You can get weapons and ammo from stores. And if you ran out of ammo then you underestimated difficulty and should've brought more, just like IRL).
But if you don't mind going through dead bodies for extra coin (especially if your character origin and backstory supports it) - you will want to check every corpse and box in the building. Also if you like crafting, you'll be on lookout for specific compontnts and scrap you can use to get an edge over your opponents.
I wouldn’t be able to do that im such a loot*piep* gg

I don't see why looting can be a problem. It's not like you're forced to use it.

I don't really see this kind of reasoning to be on a very solid foundation.

Any and every feature should exist to provide for the player and add to the experience. Not be there to be specifically avoided. Be it more central to the gameplay experience (like this one), or a semi-random sideactivity (in which case the "don't like it, don't use it" works to a certain degree).

If one has to actively avoid doing something, it distracts from the experience as a whole.

Looting, as a mechanic, can be done to a reasonable measure with a good design on inventory and itemization. That's for sure. So the push should be to do exactly that, not so much about a bipolar reasonings about either tolerating the ridiculous or cutting the whole feature.

I don't see why looting can be a problem. It's not like you're forced to use it. Just run though without taking anything. You can get money from completing missions. You can get weapons and ammo from stores.
if the in-game economy is based on the fact that you need to loot and re-sell stuff to make money (same as TW3), then it's not optional anymore.

Top Bottom