Lords of the Fallen

+
A bit unfair for people to brush this game off as a clone of Dark Souls. Yeah, the fundamentals are identical but considering that DkS is one of the greatest games ever made, I for one want to see people learning from and copying IT instead of lesser games like CoD, Skyrim, Borderlands or fucking GTAV.

I'd like to see more "copies" of DkS and I hope there's gonna be more. The people at FromSoft are sharp motherfuckers, they get the basics of game design. Considering the state of the industry, I'd very much appreciate if the team at From inspired other developers to aspire to make something more than just shitty copies of shitty games to earn a quick buck.

Only good things can come from this. Unless the developers behind Lords of the Fallen are astronomically thick and completely miss the point of what makes Dark Souls' combat so damn good, I'd imagine it'll turn out a mighty fine game, "copy" or not. Can't speak for the story but from what I've seen so far, it looks uninteresting and uncreative. Time will tell though.

The game looks terribly generic. I can't imagine what it's like to go from one of the most original RPGs of all time to a Dark Souls clone. His choice.

@FoggyFishburne
If it's only a copy -- even a good one -- of Dark Souls, there are still many problems: Dark Souls is far from perfect. The AI is still very basic for example. The UI isn't very good too. We've seen gameplay videos with dev comments of LotF and the AI looks terrible (the enemy is still reloading his crossbow even if you're one meter away from him...) and the UI in combat has a bad idea, indicating the "phases" the boss will have, killing the effect of surprise.
All of that without the multiplayer, which makes Dark Souls unique.
All of that with, apparently, a very reduced set of weapons (daggers, hammers, swords, greatswords, etc.) and without any announced mechanic to get rid of bad and boring habits like rolling, backpedalling, circling around an enemy, fishing backstabs.

I don't care if it's a clone or a copy if it's unique enough to bring its own qualities and delicacies. For now, except an usual storyline, a different art direction and the mandatory graphic update, I don't see much.

To be frank, I don't know if LotF will be a Dark Souls clone in the long run. All I'm seeing is their marketing, punchlines and design ideas right now, and it's heavily and shamelessly copying Dark Souls', without anything new on the table.

Last edited:
Yeah, that looks pretty good :).. boss doesn't look great on screenshots/artworks, but in the game he looks cool and has great attacks.. and they removed the stages on the boss health bar, by which you would see when he is going to change his move set/attacks - thank god that they removed it
Hope that there are going to be many more bosses so good like this one

The new web page is up.

http://lordsofthefallen.com/

Info:

The combat system with many complex skills

• Large variety of tactical medieval-based weapon fighting techniques
  • Powerful and spectacular supernatural skills
Large variety of items and gear

• Classes of gear: Warrior, Rogue, Cleric
  • Tons of hidden objects and locations
  • Freedom of mixing different classes for both gear and skills
Medieval fantasy world

• Filled with chaos and lethal danger, where player never feels safe
  • The full history of both world and the player character unveils and dramatically changes throughout the gameplay
Fighting against the formidable Lords and Generals

• Even regular opponents make up a challenging duels
  • Over 15 boss encounters including giant beasts
  • Opponents include both supernatural beings and humans

Just found out about this game thank's to this thread, and I must say it got my attention. I will be looking forward for this game!

Looks familiar to me. I'm tired of rolling in games. Give me other options.

Use the shield if you are so tired of it. It's probably going to be viable, at least to soak a few hits.

If you however want another avoid move, what else could work as well as rolling? It requires good timing to use properly and allows good freedom of movement.

If it's only a copy -- even a good one -- of Dark Souls, there are still many problems: Dark Souls is far from perfect

What made Dark Souls unique wasn't it's combat mechanics, although they were implemented well, but rather it's mood, it's atmosphere, slow combat and so on.

Last edited:
Ehh, I don't know, I didn't see anything really challenging from what was shown of the game so far. I hope it's just because of demo purposes.

That sounds a little better. I just hope the environments will get a little bit more varied in the full game than what they show in demos.

I'm liking the sound of Harkin more and more, we get too many protagonists who are nice nowadays. I admit i'm watching just because of Gop though.

Release date:
Lords of the Fallen launches October 31 (October 28 in North America)

Square Enix is pleased to announce Lords of the Fallen, CI Games' next-generation action/role-playing game will hit retail on October 31st for the Xbox One® all-in-one games and entertainment system, PlayStation 4 computer entertainment system and PC

In Lords of the Fallen, you are Harkyn, the best of the worst of humanity. A convicted criminal, Harkyn is given a chance for redemption. But just as the rulers of the world get close to finding a way to banish all evil from humans, an army of the long-ago defeated god attacks the human realm. Released from prison, Harkyn and his mentor, Kaslo, set out on a mission to stop the war.

In his journey, Harkyn will forge strong alliances and face even stronger enemies. He will learn the true power of the Rhogar Lords - commanders of god's army. He will even bring the battle to the Rhogar, travelling to the heart of the demonic dimension.

Will the god manage to enslave humans again? Is mankind really able to banish evil? Will Harkyn's sins ever be forgiven?

Lords of the Fallen releases at retail for Xbox one and PlayStation 4 on October 31st at £49.99 and on PC for £29.99

You know that write up dunt half remind me of Myth: The Fallen Lords and Black Company. Which is a damn good thing!

Top Bottom