Lords of the Fallen

+
I can't even leave the first area of the game after beating the first boss. I open the door leaving outside and it's black screen.

@gregski
I disabled the NVidia turbulence thingy, put my settings to high (textures) and medium (the last two options) and now the game runs better. I had the same issue before.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll try that. The last game that crashed in any way on my PC was BF4 so I'm kind of shocked.

You can also remove the chromatic aberration by disabling post-processing in the advanced options.

I'll probably get flogged for saying this, but I kinda like chromatic aberration.

Last edited:
Well for me it depends. I learned BF had some, I didn't notice, it was "subtile" enough for me. And for the little I've seen of it, chromatic aberration works perfectly on Alien: Isolation.
In Lords of the Fallen it's way too aggressive, and only something added to a game to make it look more atmospheric and "next gen" than it is, in my opinion. It burned my eyes.

I'll probably get flogged for saying this, but I kinda like chromatic abberation.
Traitor! Hang him!
It can be a neat effect in very rare cases(Batman Arkham Knight is okay) or well... it can be horrible in the rest of the 99% cases.

Just today I was thinking how after we spend decades of manpower and funds to get rid of issues, some people end up romanticizing those things and adding them on purpose. Photographers spend a lot of time/money/whatever to get rid of chromatic in pictures, while videogame(and other stuff) add them on purpose. Similar case with crisp clear digital audio getting analog noise added to it as a stylistic element.

I would say the proper place to use chromatic would be where you're actually looking through a camera/lens that actually makes sense otherwise it just comes off as annoying as showing raindrops on your screen(like GTA Vice City).

But I digress....

Last edited:
Well, I turned all the options down, all the effects off and still I get either memory leak or "LordsofTheFallen.exe has stopped working" once I try to leave the cathedral.

My experience with the game so far:
- I'm trying to fight the 5th boss, but crashes happen. Bosses are "easy" but long to fight (only died once to a boss because he had a one-hit kill...).
- 5 deaths. Just two things to consider for evaluating the difficulty: I never use potions and rely on my Solace magic to heal + I'm a Souls player. I died mostly because I tried to go through an area I wasn't supposed to go to yet (I was obviously underleveled). I love Souls because I feel like I'm being a better player through and through. I'm learning nothing by playing LotF. The situations and the enemy aren't diversified enough to "get gud". Also, death has no meaning in LotF, contrary to DaS where death mechanics are justified by the story. So LotF definitely feels like another "video game with checkpoints".
- lacks enemy diversity. Same types of enemy over and over so far. At least they're not using the very bad trick DaS2 was using (overwhelming the player with enemies).
- 5 crashes. I consider this unacceptable. The goal of the game, its main feature is endurance: how long can you go without saving your game. Well, crashes broke that. When you lose 1 hour of gameplay because they didn't bother testing the game it makes me give up the game for the day. The same when you spend 15 min fighting a boss.
- repetitive environments, some layouts are overused. Along that, level design is either very bad (invisible walls, things I expect I could go through but I can't, which is unforgivable considering you're meant to flee from enemies sometimes) or good (actually I thought the level design indoors encourages using shields, and that's a thing I rarely do in Souls, so I'm enjoying that).
- good animations, clothes and particles effects
- good exploration. Some good secrets here and there.
- I like how it feels to control Harkyn.
- good combat mechanics
- bad cutscenes, lipsyncing and voice acting
- very bad camera
- average story and TERRIBLE storytelling. Couldn't care about it. Also, don't expect to learn anything of Harkyn.
- I have 0 bound with the world I'm roaming in. In Souls I thought the world itself was a kind of neutral God watching over me, putting helps and dangers (in one word: the game design was perfect). Souls were tense constantly for this reason. Here it's visually too "sophisticated" but it has no soul, no pun intended.

Last edited:
So the DRM is apparently Denuvo and not EXECryptor and GTA V PC is going to be using it too(rumour) and I heard possibly Dragon Age Inq too

Guess I won't be playing games for a while if scummy practices like this return.

Last edited:
Bought it on Steam never crashed on me once. Only after they updated the game to 1.2 version to balance it didn't want to start until I installed new beta drivers.

I don;'t read reviews nor I listen to others when it comes to games or movies. F8ck them. This game is really good.

Top Bottom