Lore Inconsistencies with Cards and Mechanics

+
NlelithZ44;n9711991 said:
Yeah, we also should get rid of the entire Scoia'tael faction, because lore-wise they fight for Nilfgaard.
:comeatmebro:

Nope, just call the faction bloody nonhumans and we are fine.

Burza46;n9234941 said:
Gameplay is the number one priority, of course we focus heavily on lore, since it's important to us. There might be some inconsistencies, but they make sense from a gameplay perspective. Thank you for the feedback :)

As someone who really enjoys the Witcher outside of Gwent, I'm okay with deviations from lore for the sake of good gameplay!

I don't know the entire process of changing cards, so I can't weigh in the "cost" of making changes to cards, but CDPR has always made great products because of their attention to detail. If it were any other company other than CDPR, I wouldn't dare hope that lore > mechanics. Gameplay is important, but lore is also significant. The balancing and tweaking of the game should stay within plausibility of the world building, because this is something that adds to the Gwent gameplay. When mechanics doesn't mesh with lore, it detracts from immersion. The whole Witcher world is based on Sapkowski's books, and one of the things l like about Gwent is how that translates through gameplay. WotC does a great job of world building with MtG, and many MMORPGs endure because ot it. I don't think mechanics/balance will ever be achieved. Those who have played WoW know that even after 13 years, they are still playing the balancing act. If CDPR had good Wordsmiths to work with developers, it could be done. For example, there are many members of this forum who who are steeped in the lore of the Witcher world. Much props and praise to CDPR for what they've made, if I have high expectations, it's because of the excellent stuff they've done so far.

Last edited:
The Monster faction almost makes me think

You know how the Witcher universe's monsters became one of five playable factions in Gwent, right?

In the actual Witcher universe, no normal person would be able to fight a monster, not even the Northern Kingdoms, Nilfgaard, the Scoia'tael, or Skellige. This is why they hire witchers like Geralt of Rivia, because they mutated and trained themselves to fight off monsters on equal footing, whether with silver swords, alchemy, or magical signs.

And yet in Gwent, all five playable factions managed to become balanced enough to allow the Northern Kingdoms, Nilfgaard, the Scoia'tael, and Skellige to fight on equal terms with the Monster faction, with or without witchers of their very own. So how can four entire factions of normal people, and not just the witchers alone, e.g. Letho of Gulet from Nilfgaard, be able to go toe-to-toe with monsters?

And if that's the case, then why didn't Geralt of Rivia gather party-members from any of those factions in the main Witcher trilogy, like he did his hansa from the novels?

EternalNothingness thread merged

Online games need to be balanced more than they need to be lore-accurate. Besides, why can you even play with Witchers in a Monster deck? It's but one of many inaccuracies in the game. It's also near impossible to create an accurate representation of said lore in a card game.

I've read all the books and played all the games and I couldn't care less about some lore-inaccuracies. Almost all things do somewhat make sense when you think about them with just a little bit of imagination. I couldn't ask for more honestly.

The game is alot of fun and has a Witcher theme. That's what matters the most to me.

Why the Wild Hunt have been associated with Monsters Faction?

Why the Wild Hunt have been associated with Monsters Faction?

Let me start by saying that I didn't read the books, only played the trilogy. However, my questions come from the following reasons.

1 The Wild Hunt it is composed by a race of humanoid beings

2 Aren't they in fact elves from another world?

3 Even though they are the villain of the story, they also have their own culture and society, and even a king!

In my opinion, they could have been introduced on Gwent as a stand alone faction. Don't you agree?

Well, as I heard there will be a new faction in the future of Gwent, I'm saving a hope that it could be this shift of WH :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ic3Purple thread merged

Same goes for Dwarfs in the Scoia’Tael faction. They are just being grouped together out of convenience because there aren't enough Wild Hunt cards to justify an own faction.

4RM3D;n10509202 said:
Same goes for Dwarfs in the Scoia’Tael faction.
Well, dwarfs were always a small part of ST. That's true that Mahakam dwarfs or dryads fighting for ST don't make sense, though. I'd say Scoia'Tael is just not a lore-proper name for the faction, but then again, "Nonhumans" just doesn't sound cool.

Hope CDPR won't dump all future nonhuman cards into ST. I want to see those shield dwarf squads from NR.

Just as with all such things, you can accept artistic license or not. Always interesting to have these sort of inconsistencies highlighted for the sake of discussion

Yennefer having a card in the Nilfgaardian deck. She'd never fight for Nilfs.

The Scoia'tael deck should be called "Non-humans" or "The Elder Raves" and the Wild Hunt doesn't belong in the Monsters deck.

Also Sabrina's execution in her first card is depicted totally wrong.

Last edited:
Mancoon1980;n10513002 said:
Wasn't yennifer working for emeyr, or loading sleeping with him on the side.

Yennefer was his prisoner and had to work for him to save Ciri. By this logic, Geralt should have a card in the Monsters deck since he worked for the Crones for the same reason.

their should be depth in game play and because of that they should be restrictions for some cards
it also adds to diversity and becomes fun

Why are Monsters even a faction? With leaders no less?

Why are Northern Realms a single faction? Or, conversely, why are there leaders besides Radovid?

Why are there three Geralts capable of one casting one Sign each - once?

Why can't the Unseen Elder one-shot a generic Scoia'Tael grunt?

Why are siege towers weaker than some random Skellige savages?

What are they laying siege to, anyway?

Why does Fog even kill people?

Why doesn't Ragnarok end the game?

Etc etc etc ad nauseam.

There is something stupendously wrong in terms of lore with every single card, mechanic, and faction.
Of course there is. You can't represent anything worth talking about using two sentences that are supposed to also tie a card into a game system.
If they manage to put in the occasional noticeable reference here and there, I consider it a job well done.

4RM3D All of those examples should be implemented. Specially the one which says that certain Hazards shouldn't damage certain cards is definitely interesting. It seems like it's a feature that was to be introduced into the game, but never was.

Shonendo;n8475790 said:
Change Swallow Potion to... something else that heals people. Like, herbs? There's tons of herbalists in the Witcher.
Instead of changing, Swallow should be a Silver card that could heal a Witcher, or kill a Bronze or Silver Card (or Gold, if Swallow is Gold like the Trial of the Grasses).

NomanPeopled;n10962848 said:
Why are Monsters even a faction? With leaders no less?

Why are Northern Realms a single faction? Or, conversely, why are there leaders besides Radovid?

Why are there three Geralts capable of one casting one Sign each - once?

Why can't the Unseen Elder one-shot a generic Scoia'Tael grunt?

Why are siege towers weaker than some random Skellige savages?

What are they laying siege to, anyway?

Why does Fog even kill people?

Why doesn't Ragnarok end the game?

Etc etc etc ad nauseam.

There is something stupendously wrong in terms of lore with every single card, mechanic, and faction.
Of course there is. You can't represent anything worth talking about using two sentences that are supposed to also tie a card into a game system.
If they manage to put in the occasional noticeable reference here and there, I consider it a job well done.

1) They just want to feel the love, man.
2) They feel inadecuate against the might of the empire, they are just trying to be more imposing. Because he is bad for PR.
3) A horrible consequence of the Blaedumakarr Duplicating Cantrip spell.
4) He is old.
5) Low bidding policy in the NR military.
6) To ontological pain.
7) It is not fog, it is the Great Smog of London.
8) The Seeress say it: Baldr shall come.

Cards abilities from lore perspective, or as game director Slama put it in a recent stream, "cards telling a story" that I feel should be changed.

I'll give my thoughts on related to Monsters faction as it is the main one I play.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodland spirit - I think this leader from the lore standpoint should summon units or be related to artifacts, rather than boosting a unit.

Old Speartip & Old Speartip: Asleep - not only are they both boring big bodies "slap points on to the board", but the fact that it used to be an interesting card (albeit underwhelming), the new two versions with no abilities make no sense (Frightener kind of has the old ability, which I think is cool & interesting)

Keltullis - I haven't played Thronebreaker yet so I'm unsure about this, but how come Keltullis is a monster unit when all other dragons are considered neutrals?

Ge'els - should be tied closer to the other wild hunt units, or at least not so strictly to only deathwish. Other idea is to make it spying, which would also make sense storywise.

Miruna - deathwish here doesn't make any sense. After all, how does a dead succubus lure humans?

Crone trio - they feel disconnected from each other and that they could hardly ever really fit the same deck, when I feel these three cards should be incentivized to stick together

Caranthir Ar-Feiniel - same as Ge'els, should synergize with the other wild hunt units

Ice Giant - I liked the old frost synergy, even though it wasn't a good card back then. Some ability is still better than no ability.

Imperial Manticore - the deathwish really doesn't suit here either. Maybe something similar to Seltkirk duelling would fit the manticore better.

Foglet & Ancient foglet - RIP fog synergies :(

Caretaker, Lacerate - how are these not monster cards? Feels unintuitive when for example Scoia'tael has allied with the Caretaker and bringing an Ekimmara to do some damage. Could also add Wolf Pack, Manticore Venom & Arachas Venom to the list but these aren't so bad offenders.

Wild Hunt cards, Jotunn, Ice Giant, Foglet, Ancient Foglet - okay this might be game breaking from many point of views, but a resistance to biting frost and with foglets correspondingly to impenetrable fog should be a thing. This could also be implemented as a Status which could be removed from a unit, much like Resilience is now.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: post edited after merged to another thread

Last edited:
Top Bottom