Lore Inconsistencies with Cards and Mechanics

+
However please note, that humans are also part of Scoia'tael in Gwent. Your description does not reflect "Gwent reality". At example there are Smugglers and Pavko Gale as Scoia'tael so it is not fitting your idea of "non human races band together".

Non humans as a whole. Of course you have opportunists and people who are sympathetic to their cause.
ST are the rebels oppressed by the human kingdoms.

Technically Wild Hunt is not Monsters, nor is any Aen Elle elves. Nor are they Scoia'Tael.
Vampires are technically monsters, they came with the same event as nekkers and trolls and all that. But one would not necessarily think of them in the same way as regular "monsters".

Scoia'Tael are the elves and dwarves. Even though the timeline might not be correct, it fits well to place them all into Scoia'Tael. "non-human humanoids", whether it was in past wars or the current struggle doesn't really matter. They belong together.

Northern Realms is a good comparison. That's multiple kingdoms together in one faction, and the timeline is all over the place.

One big question I had was deithwen arbalest removing things from graveyard...
I know the ability before had some sort of damage effect, which makes sense, but currently, his art/name/character really seems at odds with his ability.
I'd expect some sort of necromancer, grave defiler, alchemist collecting organs... something like that to have his ability to justify the removal of a unit from graveyard. It could work for NG, but why, NG seems more of the invade and take things by force...

For this card, wouldn't something like "Ranged: On turn end, deal 1 damage to another row randomly" make sense (or activate, cooldown 1)?
It could go with the whole "I always hit with the first bolt, usually" Card text, implying that he's not very accurate. It's still a 4 body bronze, and the shots will usually hit your opponent, making it a net positive card. It adds some more RNG into the game, but since it's net-positive, you can utilize to your advantage if you play the ability wisely (like other abilities that seem neutral on paper, but really aren't when used correctly)

Regardless of whether or not you like that ability, the whole graveyard mechanic is an odd one. Was his old ability really that op that he needed to have his theme warped?

So the new patch just dropped and it tried to fix some problems with the game yet it still didn't address a peculiar one: many cards effects are nowhere close to how they are "supposed to be" and i'm not talking about some "power level thing" here, just flavour.
Some examples:

- Fringilla Vigo: By lore an illusionist, in game just a conditional damage dealer.
- Wolfsbane: A very strong poison, another damage dealer in game.

Cards should also have more interactions. A good rework is the new celaeno harpy which rewards the player for playing multiple copies of it.

Bump! It's a great thread and I fully support it.
The second post by 4RM3D outlines features where the game does not follow the lore. I'd love to see every one of those implemented. It will be so much more fun and diverse game, and also will make a good sense and will be like an extension to the books.

P.S. And to respond to the author, Skellige forbids necromancy. They follow the natural way of things. What died should remain dead.

Post automatically merged:

Last edited:
Top Bottom