Lore Inconsistencies with Cards and Mechanics

+
4RM3D;n9558081 said:
Karolis.petrikas

Your argument is invalid:

Short Version:
Highlight #1: https://youtu.be/UIQRj6wzitI?t=47
Highlight #2: https://youtu.be/UIQRj6wzitI?t=117

So he uses Max Payne to argue universality of literary medium... Brilliant! :D This is proof of how much impact games have had on the way people analyze.

But the overall argument is still very much on-topic. If we want to identify lore inconsistencies between a card game and a narrative...the answer is because "card games" don't speak "narrative arc" that well. In turn, the same differences can be detected between The Witcher 3 and the novels. Why are signs so powerful and versatile in the game, and literally nothing but cantrips in the novels? Answer: "Because the game is making intentional changes to better balance and fulfill the goals of an action / role-playing game. Those are very different needs from a novel. What works amazingly well in the novel would quickly become repetitious and underwhelming in a game."

So why were certain elements changed for Gwent when those elements were so clearly defined in the novels / games? Answer: "Because a CCG is a completely different mechanic than an action / role-playing game. Very different needs. The same things will not work perfectly in both cases."

According to TW3 lore Gwent is a card game. So having lore inconsistencies within Gwent in order to achieve a balanced, fun game is well within Witcher Lore.

ArianeGrosmont;n9558661 said:
According to TW3 lore Gwent is a card game. So having lore inconsistencies within Gwent in order to achieve a balanced, fun game is well within Witcher Lore.

That's an amusing way to view it actually -- "celebrity" resulting in inaccuracies and embellishment. (Sort of like the paparazzi getting an unflattering shot of an actress and the tabloids claiming she's "pregnant with Elvis' child!" The article right below reads: "Scientology brings Elvis back from the dead!" And on...)

Karolis.petrikas;n9558841 said:
This is amazing. My favourite topic.

:p

Foglets or rather "A Foglet" being damaged by Fog? Now, there's a shocker!

Foglets or rather "a Foglet" damaged to fog? Now, there's a shocker!

I find it hard to believe that Foglets by the look of the artwork on the card, suggest they live in a swamp, surrounded by fog, but not only that "The Witcher" series in general shows that Foglets are fog immune. So, makes you wonder what on Earth is going on with the effects, gameplay, and mechanics in Gwent: The Witcher Card game?

For if you are going to make The Witcher Card game, then actually adhere to the artwork of every card.

Though, I do understand in the recent patch and hot-fix we had on the Foglets with only 1 coming out from the deck. However, that does not give an excuse to have a Foglet damaged when in fog, or even eventually die from it.

Moreover, if a Foglet were to be immune to fog, then that would be fine, as there are many, many removals to deal with a Foglet, if it becomes a problem, but quite frankly there won't be a problem if only 1 Foglet come out from the deck at a time.

When a Foglet is supposed to be fog immune, though makes you wonder, why are they or "it" being damaged by it?

As, a Foglet knows when an enemy is approaching to attack if gets too close, and Foglets in general can sense, hear, and even see while being covered by fog. So, what is the damage to Foglets suppose to achieve, but only encouraging to not adhere to the artwork of the card.

Though, too, Foglets often swarm, and attack an oncoming enemy together, but of course this cannot happen in Gwent, since the patch and hot-fix, which made only 1 Foglet to come out from the deck, and pretty much "okay" on some level.

Regards,
byExeplar

Last edited:
I have two theories:

1. The circle of life. Born in fog, dies in fog. (Harder to accept, but easier to deal with)
2. A fog overdose. (Easier to accept, but harder to deal with)

I agree, but right now there is no weather immunity. If you start giving Foglet weather immunity, you would need to do the same for several other units. That would require many changes, not just one.

But who knows, maybe we'll see the return of weather immunity - I certainly wouldn't mind it.

devivre;n9711791 said:
I agree, but right now there is no weather immunity. If you start giving Foglet weather immunity, you would need to do the same for several other units. That would require many changes, not just one.

But who knows, maybe we'll see the return of weather immunity - I certainly wouldn't mind it.
Wild Hunt Hounds aren't immune to ice. Neither are ICE Giants.
The only one that I think should be immune is Ancient Foglet.

...not that anyone plays Ancient Foglet.

That's open beta for you. Ever since it started, the game was moving far away from "2 armies on a battlefield" and sense. I understand sacrificing some lore is needed for better gameplay but this is a bit much. Just like too many agile units and agile weather.

Yeah, we also should get rid of the entire Scoia'tael faction, because lore-wise they fight for Nilfgaard.
:comeatmebro:

devivre;n9711791 said:

Fairly put, though, I'm very aware of no weather immune as of yet, just giving CDPR a heads up to make sure to balance Gwent properly when still in Public beta, a little extra help don't hurt nobody :), you know what I mean; for Gwent to be done right so it would compete against other Card games when out of beta, and even maybe top them, one day.

Too, I agree, if Foglets are to be given immunity then Wild Hunt Hounds should be given immunity to Frost, and any other. As, if you want to see a balance game and keep weather as it is, then immunity may need to come back in order to provide that extra counter strategy, but we will see what CDPR does in the next coming patch... :)

P.S. I've as well given an suggestion on how to solve the coin flip issue.
> Link: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/for...ions-aa/8991110-balancing-the-coin-flip/page8

Regards,
byExeplar

byExeplar;n9711301 said:
Foglets or rather "a Foglet" damaged to fog? Now, there's a shocker!
In the first closed beta foglets were immune to fog, ancient foglets were healed by the fog, and the fog was applied on both sides of the board simultaneously... and everybody, who didn't play monsters decks complained a lot about it. Good times.

Last edited:
Maerd;n9712331 said:
In the first closed beta foglets were immune to fog, ancient foglets were healed by the fog, and the fog was applied on both sides of the board simultaneously... and everybody, who didn't play monsters decks complained a lot about it. Good times.

Thanks for clearing that up, though even in The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt, Foglets were immune to fog, if I remember correctly, and as well Foglets look more to increase in strength when in fog not be damaged by it, no common sense. And those who complain about Monsters and just Foglets overall, well, what can you say, really. I guess, let's wait and see what CDPR has in store for us in the next coming patch soon. However, weather immunity did provide an extra counter for weather, so even that, no sense in, to remove.

Regards,
byExeplar

byExeplar;n9712371 said:
Thanks for clearing that up, though even in The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt, Foglets were immune to fog, if I remember correctly, and as well Foglets look more to increase in strength when in fog not be damaged by it, no common sense. And those who complain about Monsters and just Foglets overall, well, what can you say, really. I guess, let's wait and see what CDPR has in store for us in the next coming patch soon. However, weather immunity did provide an extra counter for weather, so even that, no sense in, to remove.

Well, that time weather was extremely powerful, because it damaged all units in a row simultaneously and clear sky was a dead weight because it didn't have the second option. So, a weather deck was extremely powerful. Only SK had an answer to that because most of their units are populating graveyard most of the time in any case :)

Top Bottom