[LORE] Question: Corpo earnings in CP Red/2020?

+
Actually,CDPR took a little of artistic freedom in Corpo Path.For somebody working in internal security/counter-intel I would have expected a kill switch,explosives attached in the brain or something like that so if you loose your job you are basically dead.
That is pretty well stablished in tabletop,novels and even in the "Syndicate" series you can see agents detonating or the executive beeing killed in case of failure.
But I can imagine the rage of starting the game with one extra timer or directly dead.

I can imagine it would be possible to remove it or deactivated it yourself as something SOME (especially player characters) would have picked up in along the ways doing all the internal security/counter-intel stuff.

Same way some security experts in RL learn how to open handcuffs they my get locked in or sweep for room "bugs" or deactivate ankle monitors:

It only takes a clever person with a bit of luck to find ways around even the most high tec security:

Honestly I find it already very surprising that V can get out of it so "easily".
In view of the circumstances :
  • V was part of Arasaka's counterintelligence.
  • V knew about the murders of the members of the European Space Council (at least that, but there is probably worse than that).
  • V was under the orders of a guy who planned to kill the boss and plan to do it obviously.
So if I was Abernathy, my orders would have been quite simple and like this :
  • Recover the chip, destroy it immediately without reading it.
  • Attempt to apprehend V "softly" without triggering a gunfight in the Lizzie. If this is not possible, send a commando to wait for him/her at the exit and capture him/her dead or alive by all means possible.
  • Make disappear V's body and all the clues (computer, datas,...)
So in my opinion, in the Corpo Lifepath, V should have already finished dead in the landfield :)

Honestly I find it already very surprising that V can get out of it so "easily".
In view of the circumstances :
  • V was part of Arasaka's counterintelligence.
  • V knew about the murders of the members of the European Space Council (at least that, but there is probably worse than that).
  • V was under the orders of a guy who planned to kill the boss and plan to do it obviously.
So if I was Abernathy, my orders would have been quite simple and like this :
  • Recover the chip, destroy it immediately without reading it.
  • Attempt to apprehend V "softly" without triggering a gunfight in the Lizzie. If this is not possible, send a commando to wait for him/her at the exit and capture him/her dead or alive by all means possible.
  • Make disappear V's body and all the clues (computer, datas,...)
So in my opinion, in the Corpo Lifepath, V should have already finished dead in the landfield :)

key here tho, is we know nothing that happened after Jackie tells V he got some money. They coulda done various things. Also, corpos escape retribution some times, usually with help of another Corp, but still its prolly 50/50 Id guess.

key here tho, is we know nothing that happened after Jackie tells V he got some money. They coulda done various things. Also, corpos escape retribution some times, usually with help of another Corp, but still its prolly 50/50 Id guess.
In fact if we were talking about a "normal" corpo, like the woman at the reception who tells to V that Jenkins is waiting in his office or the guy who keeps the AVs, I would agree. But there, V is implied in a business of another level.

To take an example (which is far from the context of Night City). If a member of the DGSE (France's foreign intelligence agency) was involved in a plot to kill its director, I'm not sure that this one can get away as easily as V, and spend peaceful days in France... (I say the DGSE, but I could have cited any agency like MI6, CIA,...).

I can imagine it would be possible to remove it or deactivated it yourself as something SOME (especially player characters) would have picked up in along the ways doing all the internal security/counter-intel stuff.

Same way some security experts in RL learn how to open handcuffs they my get locked in or sweep for room "bugs" or deactivate ankle monitors:

It only takes a clever person with a bit of luck to find ways around even the most high tec security:

I know that nothing electronic is really secure,just look how KULeuven "stole" once or twice Tesla cars or the side attacks to microprocessors and microcontrollers (very funny topic of how the hardware itself is not secure), but for all of this you need time and know what you are looking for. Just imagine that the kill switch is triggered if those "vitamins" that you get from the company medical implants are removed ... there is a whole part of "Count Zero" of a researcher that changes jobs, they need 3 Ripperdocs and a portable clinic just to check what his company put in him.
For Arasaka with V it was even easier: just wait that V comes back to the office(you don't know its all finished in Lizzie)...once in the building internal security arrest him/her, interrogation, throw to the organic trash bin, if deemed sent kill squad to Jackie ...

So it's out: Factions and opportunities - Dark Comedy

My thanks for everybody.

Piece is quite long and I really can't blame anyone who doesn't read it. However first paragraphs may give some light about the "roof" of that idea to use corpo elements to set up something regarding Austrian / Keynesians schools without even needing to name them and the rest is much about exploring things under that roof in the Night City.

Top Bottom