Losing Coin Flip + Spy

+
Losing Coin Flip + Spy

I lose coinflip. I play a card. He play a spy. Whatever I do his calv comes out next turn and he'll be one card up on me.

Two Games In A Row!

Okay, I've had enough of this game until next patch.

This is a huge problem with the Silver Spies. Yesterday someone did the same with me, but double the stick - I play CHarpy, he plays Veteran, I go for Ekkimara, he dropped Udalryk. I want it to win the round, so I played something Gold, maybe Muzzle on the Veteran... than came SUMMONING CIRCLE.

The Silver Spies mechanic must be absolutely changed and their power must be set at at least 15. At the very least they are now worth the vanilla Bronze power, which is just not right. Also the distinction of 11/12 STR between some of them is nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah! And the silliest part about the 11/12 is that the factions that benefits the most got the lowest str spies! NG with their synergy got 11 and NR that can get 12 points cavalry gets 11 points as well.

Was just so frustrating having the exact same thing play out twice in a row.

And NR spy has the most advantage as you see two UNITS and keep one and compensate it with cavalry. Cantarella is card advantage without any drawbacks (you even get + points if you have Brigade and Enforcers on board). Udalryk has risk of wasting a card sometimes. Yaevinn is good but plain 12 points that can be used only if you win R1.

Cantarella and Thaler gotta change.

Cantarella doesn't offer you a clear two card choice and that is a big difference. Udalryk's discard ability is actually a synergy as is yeavin spell choice.
I am ok with all spies being same power, but than all should let you choose from two cards which is after the CA the second most important ability they have and also a reason why frightener is the weakest spy even with the move ability.

As for the thaler- summoning-cavalry combo it is quite annoying, especially when you play first, but there are some ways to handle it. As a general rule going two cards down is better than losing that round on even.

Well, playing a spy after winning the coinflip isn't really anything new and I doubt the next patch will change that. In general, I'm okay with how spies work right now. But I agree that all spies should be the same power (12).

nemirni;n9995081 said:
Udalryk's discard ability is actually a synergy

In most decks Udalryk's ability is a liability. For any other spy, getting a choice between two golds is the best option, for him it's the worst.

Exoclyps;n9994121 said:
I lose coinflip. I play a card. He play a spy. Whatever I do his calv comes out next turn and he'll be one card up on me.

Then you play a spy back or use Summoning Circle. Regardless, the coin flip issue is well known and it should be fixed somehow. The spies themselves are fine; maybe giving them a little bit more strength.

PS. Edited the thread title to better reflect the content. It's not an abuse, but a perfectly valid tactic.

4RM3D;n9995501 said:
Then you play a spy back or use Summoning Circle. Regardless, the coin flip issue is well known and it should be fixed somehow. The spies themselves are fine; maybe giving them a little bit more strength.

I have both in my deck, but didn't draw either.

quantum_number;n9995301 said:
In most decks Udalryk's ability is a liability. For any other spy, getting a choice between two golds is the best option, for him it's the worst.

As is Cantarella's. If your first offered card is useless to you at the moment, but vital later you have a problem because Cantarella sends it at the end of your deck.

4RM3D;n9995501 said:

then the game becomes a matter of "did you draw your spy in the opening hand"

as far as the strength, i still don't understand why they aren't at least at 16... the 12 points number was based on the original balancing value for bronze/silver cards, which were around 8 and 12 points; nowadays, we can play bronze cards for 12+ with little to no setup

It's one of most frustrating plays in gwent. Lose the round on even cards or win with -2 cards. No matter what you do, if you don't have a card a silver spy in your hand, you lose. Esspecially the combination spy and Eskel annoys me.
The average value of a silver card is way more than 11/12 now. Silver Spies should reflect that. Additionally I think doing nothing at all about the coinflip is no solution.

Last edited:
Yeah, very anoying because i dont have spy in deck, or sumoning circle. i tried to use decoy but its -25point move.

I think silver spies should be removed and linked to leaders: if you lose conflip leader can chose to CREATE a spy, but losing leader normal ability.

nemirni;n9995761 said:
As is Cantarella's. If your first offered card is useless to you at the moment, but vital later you have a problem because Cantarella sends it at the end of your deck.

Ah, I wasn't aware Cantarella worked like that. Still, if you can reshuffle the deck you can get that card. With Udalryk, if the card wasn't meant to make a detour through the Graveyard on it's way from my deck to the board, there might be no way to get that card back.

But this is just how I feel about the issue. I've had worse experiences playing Udalryk, than I did Cantarella. Given how important CA spies are, I feel Udalryk really restricts the amount of competitive Skellige decks.

With Cantarella you often are removing cards like Roach, Joachim, Emissary, Clear Sky, etc. so it isn't as bad as you may think. I even must say that I actually don't remember the last time I got screwed by putting a card on the bottom of my deck. Especially if you play with Calveit and you are left with 2 or 3 cards in the deck R3.

I am also a proponent of the idea of the Spy available as a Leader Ability (or separate Leader Ability) only when you lose the CF. But than what will you do if you lose that ability and it is essential to your deck?

It is just the fact that them Spies are way less punishing than they should be. And some have way too much of a synergy (Cantarella especially, as Frightener can actually backfire really bad).

Last edited:
You are only removing them if you are offered such cards and then so by risk of getting a new unknown card.
There is actually more ways to get things out of the graveyard for skellige even gold(renew), than reshuffle cards in Ng. In fact i cant think of any ng cards that reshuffle.
I do agree however that with power creep the spies should have increased too, although that still wouldn't have changed eskel/menno comboes..

nemirni;n9996871 said:
In fact i cant think of any ng cards that reshuffle.

Stefan?

But this does not matter. An efficient spy deck will be able to play all its bronzes disregarding their position in the deck and with Calveit that is not even necessary.

I would like to see CDPR change spies to be only playable if the player in question went first in the current round or if he/she is responding to enemy spies.

betancurable;n9997061 said:
Stefan?

But this does not matter. An efficient spy deck will be able to play all its bronzes disregarding their position in the deck and with Calveit that is not even necessary.

I would like to see CDPR change spies to be only playable if the player in question went first in the current round or if he/she is responding to enemy spies.
You are right, forgot about him.

betancurable;n9997091 said:
An efficient spy deck will be able to play all its bronzes

What about a reveal, soldier, alchemy deck?

That's the problem I mentioned with Udalryk, but now that I think about it, I feel it extends to other spies as well. The CA spies are powerful cards. If they can backfire in most archetypes, or be severely limited, then people will look to decks that don't have those problems. If you're playing a deck where the spy works half the time, you might opt to replace it with a more reliable card. Then you'll be at a disadvantage against decks where the spy works most of the time. Maybe a more diverse set of CA spies can solve that issue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom