loss of engagement

+
I've been sitting back listening to so many fellow CP77 players talking about what game your currently playing, what book your reading, it's nice so many are so engaging and social.
this struck me... seeing that this is a forum sight dedicated to CP77... it's pleasant no doubt but it seems that CDPR is loosing the focus of it's target audience...shouldn't there be some "stimulus" that circles back to CP77 instead of this silent, slow, numbing?
I understand that moderation is the new stance since the release but this feels like a over reaction or a lack of something....
too many have said " it's dead"....companies will keep the public engaged for years, not letting the idea die so as not to loose ground.
what are your thoughts on the current situation, well suited?....poorly handled?....confused like me?
I welcome any and all points of view...
or is this the tell tale signs of a dying project....

It was just over-hyped and it didn't deliver on expectations. The hyping/marketing can be a hazardous thing. The now silence doesn't mean anything.

I suppose when we first got The Witcher, that was a train wreck and doomed and to failure?

You will find people in every corner of life quick to proclaim something is dead, when it's not. BItcoin was pronounced dead by "experts" over 400 times now. Every time that coin drops in value, you get spammed with articles saying it's dead. 10 years later, it's still alive and well.

good points across the board...
I'm a big fan of the old book game of Cyberpunk so I've had to temper all of my observations and judgements knowing the "rose glasses" I'm seeing through.

leaving their fan base in the dark can't be a good move though

It's a good things come to those who wait deal for me & I am a very patient fella.

When it is finally ready, I predict this will be the second game I will be taking my entire annual leave for so I can (fingers crossed) pretty much live in Night City.

For at least a month.

May even consider taking my long service leave too...

Youse guys will have to suffer my dribbling 'til then.
Post automatically merged:

EDIT: Suffer in your jocks.

Its a single player game, not an MMO or gacha designed to trick you into playing forever by psychologically trapping you in a cycle of addiction. I played Cyberpunk 2077, enjoyed it for what it was (rather than what I hoped it could be). Then I played it again.

After 200ish hours I got to to thinking how it could get closer to what I hoped it could be so I started modding the game, which has been an endless font of learning and creativity that I'm still not bored of. I met some of the smartest, funniest people I've ever seen in my life in the modding community. Learning a craft and getting better at it is something I can legitimately spend tens of thousands of hours on and not get bored. And it relates to a game I enjoyed based on themes that are totally my jam.

But all single player games end and thats the way it needs to be. I don't want the walking dead in videogame form. What I don't understand is why so many people seem to be unhappy and yet continue to do things that will make them unhappy forever. I've seen people with no interest in trading posting daily charts of CDR stock and expressing worry when it falls off a cliff. Its still up from this time in 2018. If you aren't day trading, why do you care about daily movements in a stock you don't own?

I don't feel the need to be informed about the future direction of anything game related. I am fully capable of making my own fun. If its not in the game and not related to modding the game, then I'll play another game.

One of the things I like about Warframe is that its this beautiful hot buggy mess that I enjoy for the hell of it. I play it for 6 months and quit for 6 months (varies). I stop when I get bored. I come back when there is new stuff to play. And you know what? I'm really happy with all of my time in Warframe because all of it is spent doing something I enjoy and all the time I don't spend in the game is doing something else I think is fun.

Why are you worrying whether or not Cyberpunk is a dying project? Its not your project! You don't need to worry about stuff like this. Its CDPR that has to worry about how to re-engage you. You just make sure you have fun, whatever it is you are doing.

Last edited:

Common sense?!

Now for realz, I think they're working on something and they want to start with a relatively clean slate, so they're letting the interest fade for a while until they have something substantial to bring to the table.

My guess is, fixed systems (FFS FIX THE TRAFFIC AI OK? OK!), next gen improvements (Raytracing needs work, yeah CDPR?), addons (more cool cyberwear, I want a grapple wire monowire upgrade, ok? yea!), expansions ( mUh JudeeeYyYy!!!), gameplay elements (racing is cool for example, you have all these cool chariots no one is using for anything fun, fix that!) etc.

Guest 3847602

It's not a live service game, so there's no real need for constant stream of small updates, additions and new info.
I've played the game 3 times (100% each), enjoyed my time with it, but I don't intend to keep playing it obsessively. It's not designed for this mindset, and I'm happy for that. Nothing unusual in having interest in something beside Cyberpunk 2077. Wasn't any different in TW3 days.
As for CDPR, I would like to hear what their plans are, but, all things considered, I understand why they want to stay low profile until the release of new content is imminent. Not how I would have done it, but I understand it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that the game wasn't nearly close to being finished when released so it's been trying to fix the game these past seven months and that has delayed any DLC.

I'm also inclined to think we're not through the "fixing" portion of things either and it will probably be a year before the game is to a proper release state.

Still, Fallout 76 has managed to weather its nightmare so no reason Cyberpunk 2077 can't.

In my experience constant engagement in a single piece of media often leads to burnout anyway, but I think CDPR are simply being cautious in revealing new information; the hype and PR mess and misunderstandings leading up to the game's release was not healthy for anyone. They don't need the bottomfeeders like journalists or social media goons parsing (offering a "critique" on) every single bit of info in the meantime, so I'm understanding of the radio silence. Hopefully patience will be rewarded in the end.

For me, Cyberpunk already did it's job, and well. I got 6 full (100 hour) playthroughs out of it and I still want more - I couldn't ask more of a single player game.

Why are you worrying whether or not Cyberpunk is a dying project? Its not your project! You don't need to worry about stuff like this. Its CDPR that has to worry about how to re-engage you. You just make sure you have fun, whatever it is you are doing.

Give that man a ceegar! (y)

And to answer the OP a little more fully, folk form communities or are brought together by or for whatever reason and they form these social communities, in which it is human nature to talk about other things as well as whatever brought them together. Not for one second should this be misread as meaning the thing that brought them together is no longer interesting or engaging. Humans eh, what a bunch of weirdos. ;)

Last edited:
Well, I've definitely lost my engagement with CP77. I haven't played it properly since 1.2 was released, maybe earlier, I'm not sure, it's been so long. Every now and then I'll start a character and try and get into it again, but problems start even in the prelude areas, especially the Corpo start, primarily in Lizzy's Bar. Then, by the time I'm about an hour into the game proper, I notice how bad it still is on XB1 and give up, deleting the character. In fact, the only character I still have a saved slot for is "out of bounds" in case they fix that properly, so I can still explore out there.

It's interesting that people bring up things like "its not an MMO" or "It's not a live service game" or suggest that just because it has a story, once people have completed the story, then its natural that they will drop the game.

To counter that slightly, are we forgetting that Skyrim exists? It too has no online features, no multiplayer or live service. Its definetly got a lot of mods, and that is no doubt to why its still popular. Perhaps CDPR need to get a full modding tools out there so the modders can swoop in and get to work making some big mods?

But in numbers, just having a look at Steam only;

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition (2016)
Players in-game 19,900

Cyberpunk 2077 (2020)
Players in-game 7,202

But to balance the scales, there are people who only play the standard Skyrim edition (2011), and there's only about 4,344 in-game. On the flip side, perhaps that number should be added to the other version too since it's still the same game? So in total, on Steam that would make 24,244 players in-game. Again, that's probably more to do with available mods and the easy of use of the Steam Workshop.

To add another game that has no online features (might have a leader board, cant remember?), and isn't a live service either;

Euro Truck Simulator (2012)
Players in-game 14,311

And none of those games are new, so its more dedicated players playing at this point.

^ I don't buy games to play once and shelve, to me that would be a waste of money. Pretty much every game I have I've played multiple times - and the vast majority have no online option. Skyrim and the like. The only games I do play once and shelve are the crap ones.

I decided to wait six months to see if they could get everything repaired.

Now I've decided I'm going to upgrade to a PS4 Pro before I try to play the game.

I'm being held back by my desire to have the best possible experience with the game I've already beaten before I return to it.

It's interesting that people bring up things like "its not an MMO" or "It's not a live service game" or suggest that just because it has a story, once people have completed the story, then its natural that they will drop the game.

To counter that slightly, are we forgetting that Skyrim exists? It too has no online features, no multiplayer or live service. Its definetly got a lot of mods, and that is no doubt to why its still popular. Perhaps CDPR need to get a full modding tools out there so the modders can swoop in and get to work making some big mods?

But in numbers, just having a look at Steam only;

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition (2016)
Players in-game 19,900

Cyberpunk 2077 (2020)
Players in-game 7,202

But to balance the scales, there are people who only play the standard Skyrim edition (2011), and there's only about 4,344 in-game. On the flip side, perhaps that number should be added to the other version too since it's still the same game? So in total, on Steam that would make 24,244 players in-game. Again, that's probably more to do with available mods and the easy of use of the Steam Workshop.

To add another game that has no online features (might have a leader board, cant remember?), and isn't a live service either;

Euro Truck Simulator (2012)
Players in-game 14,311

And none of those games are new, so its more dedicated players playing at this point.

Those truck simulators are very interesting. I am an OTR truck driver in the US. It's hilarious trying to watch people try to drive those trucks and back them up to parking spaces.

The truck simulators are fun, but kind of boring for me because I have to do it for work. it's easier to try and back up a truck using the overhead view because a driver doesn't get that much vision. But it's harder in the game just using the mirror because the driver has more vision than what the simulator allows you to see.

Also the depth perception the game is off, in real life it's different.

From a truck driver perspective, backing up those trucks with trailers are the hardest part of the job, and those simulators don't really capture the challenges a driver faces very well.

These are still fun to play though, and the basics are there, I guess.

Guest 3847602

To counter that slightly, are we forgetting that Skyrim exists?
To counter that slightly, are we forgetting that GOG exists? That a lot of PC players play CP2077 on this platform and nobody on Earth does that for Skyrim.
or suggest that just because it has a story, once people have completed the story, then its natural that they will drop the game.
Cyberpunk doesn't just "have a story". It's a story-driven game. Not a sandbox. Skyrim is not a story-driven game (at least, I hope people have higher standards in regards to writing in video games). It is a sandbox . Therefore, completing the story is a far bigger factor in Cyberpunk than in Skyrim. As far as I'm aware, many people prefer to not even follow the main quest in Skyrim.
Better comparison is TW3, which does have more concurrent players on steam right now, but its numbers back in 2015 weren't that high:
https://steamcharts.com/app/1091500
https://steamcharts.com/app/292030

Last edited by a moderator:

Guest 3847602

Anyway, those numbers remain insignificant when it comes to single player games and additionally based on a story (maybe there are "good" during few weeks after the release or when a DLC is release).
But nothing to do with multipayer games...
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - Steam
Most played - Steam
This. I have no idea what's the purpose of high player count in game like this.
Do you need other people to play Cyberpunk? No, it makes no difference whatsoever if 500.000 other people are playing the game or just you.
Does CDPR need 30.000 concurrent players? No, it's not a subscription-based game, and there are no microtransactions they want you to check every now and then.

Those truck simulators are very interesting. I am an OTR truck driver in the US. It's hilarious trying to watch people try to drive those trucks and back them up to parking spaces.

The truck simulators are fun, but kind of boring for me because I have to do it for work. it's easier to try and back up a truck using the overhead view because a driver doesn't get that much vision. But it's harder in the game just using the mirror because the driver has more vision than what the simulator allows you to see.

Also the depth perception the game is off, in real life it's different.

From a truck driver perspective, backing up those trucks with trailers are the hardest part of the job, and those simulators don't really capture the challenges a driver faces very well.

These are still fun to play though, and the basics are there, I guess.

I get what you mean. If there was a game that covered my job, there isn't a chance in hell that I'd play it as I'd be too annoyed at all the bits that they've got wrong or don't understand :LOL:

Also, yeah reversing with a trailer, very hard in the game, and I'm rubbish at it, so I think I'll leave that sort of thing to better people in real life!

This. I have no idea what's the purpose of high player count in game like this.
Do you need other people to play Cyberpunk? No, it makes no difference whatsoever if 500.000 other people are playing the game or just you.
Does CDPR need 30.000 concurrent players? No, it's not a subscription-based game, and there are no microtransactions they want you to check every now and then.

Of course play count matters, even in single play games that have no online features. Why bother updating a game, or releasing new content if no-one is playing your game? Player count matters to devs/publishers.

But yes, to the players, it doesn't matter if its you alone playing, or many others.

To counter that slightly, are we forgetting that GOG exists? That a lot of PC players play CP2077 on this platform and nobody on Earth does that for Skyrim

I don't use GOG, but out of curiosity, what are CP77's player count over there?

Skyrim is not a story-driven game (at least, I hope people have higher standards in regards to writing in video games). It is a sandbox .

Please don't start a "standards" argument. It's not helpful, and it only serves to belittle others. And if people do like Skyrim's story, there is absolutley nothing wrong with that either (y)

Last edited:
Top Bottom